5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

04 HLSD Transmission in an 02

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 08:00 AM
And... I'm out

04 HLSD Transmission in an 02

After having this transmission installed for 700 miles I wanted to give you guys a heads up to what i have noticed

At the same time I had the spec stage 2 clutch and Fidanza lightened flywheel installed

Now, some of these might be a mixture of both the flywheel and the transmission but I think I can split the "changes" based on each device in itself

I have noticed the 04 with a shorter final drive is great or highway driving if you find yourself in 6th gear a lot.

I made this image to store information for myself

as you can see, you with the 04 Transmission you sit roughly 300 RPM higher no matter the speed / gear (compared to that of the 02). This helps a lot in 6th gear passing people on the highway. Now, this also is effected by the Fidanza Flywheel. I have noticed and as I was warned about, the flywheel, since it is ligher, kills our launches. Well some will say, killing our launches is good (as we have too much torque for a FWD car). I have not launched my car as the track is not open and my engine mounts are not in (my car wheel hops if I attempt any launch). I have noticed that after first gear however, the flywheel really kicks in allowing for fast acceleration. The HLSD factor, which did come in the 02, I however didn't have it, it something that is very noticeable when it comes to turning. Again I have not launched it, so its claims to help on launching I can't justify, but when making turns in snow / rain it does help out a lot, however it may just be me, you get a little kick back when it does kick in, as is to be expected. All in all, I am happy with the new transmission, there are somethings I need to look into and the car is going into the shop tomorrow to have those items looked into (I still have problems shifting into gears sometimes, and some other master / slave cylinder problems). All in all it was a costly investment, but if you ever need a brand new transmission, the cost of the 02 non HLSD and the 04 HLSD are the same, along with the 02 HLSD. Depending on your driving style, the 04 fits me nice, and it is something that not everyone in the world can say they have. If any of the information is wrong here, tell me but everything I stated is what I have noticed.

(I am sick, so the post may seem a bit out there :-/)
Old 03-06-2007, 08:07 AM

i though they never had HLSD for the 6th gen?
Old 03-06-2007, 08:55 AM

I am looking to do the same thing here. I am getting an 04 HLSD Transmission and most likely a stage 1 clutch to go along with it. Money may be an issue, so I'm trying to decide if I should spend it on a flywheel. Is there anything I should know about doing this swap? I'm looking to do this in the next 3-4 weeks so as much info on the swap would be helpful.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:23 PM
And... I'm out

It is a direct bolt on (1 clip is different). But aside from that the transmission bolted up, a local shop did it and had no problems.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Merlyn
It is a direct bolt on (1 clip is different). But aside from that the transmission bolted up, a local shop did it and had no problems.
Excellent, I am going to be doing this myself so I just wanted to anticipate the differences. As for the clip, is it something I need to remove or a part I need to get along with the transmission?
Old 03-06-2007, 04:33 PM
platinum03SE

man im glad my car came with one stock

Old 03-06-2007, 04:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

HLSD helps out alot when your cornering fast. I've noticed that I can come around exit ramps faster cause the power stays to the wheels better....
Old 03-06-2007, 05:09 PM

Yeah, this is a great mod. You'll like the way it launches with the HLSD. The lightened flywheen doesn't hurt the launches at all. The technique is just a little different.

All around driving is better too. Punching it in a turn on longer causes the one wheel to spin and the car to plow straight. It actualy whips it around the turn. Wet weather traction is greatly improved and when it does spin it no longer jerks the wheel to the right.

The clip that's different is one of the clips that holds the shifter cable to the shifter on the tranny. You just use the one off the 02 tranny being swapped. No big deal at all. Other than that it's a direct swap.

They had HLSD in 04 and possibly 05. I can't remember about 05 but definately 04.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:09 AM

I love the HLSD. I have an 02 with HLSD, but my transmission is pretty much shot, grinding and possibly have a leaking seal. Instead of a rebuild, I will be putting another one and doing the clutch at the same time. I'm hoping that the 04 tranny is stronger/more durable than the 02. My car has about 125k and this is the 2nd busted tranny I've had.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:54 AM

The 04 tranny has better syncros. Especialy going into third.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:56 AM

Yeah I have the 3rd gear syncro problem again. Would like to not have that in the back of my mind when I fix my transmission.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by DaBoxSE
I am looking to do the same thing here. I am getting an 04 HLSD Transmission and most likely a stage 1 clutch to go along with it. Money may be an issue, so I'm trying to decide if I should spend it on a flywheel. Is there anything I should know about doing this swap? I'm looking to do this in the next 3-4 weeks so as much info on the swap would be helpful.
call me crazy but which maximas 04+ come with stock HLSD? was it a package? i always thought they were open diff
Old 03-08-2007, 09:26 PM

I don't think it was part of any package. I think it was an option by its self. I found out, while looking for mine, that nearly all the manual Maximas sent to Canada had HLSD. I found an 04 tranny in Canada with 38,000 miles on it at http://car-part.com/ and had it shipped for $850. There's a code in the VIN but I don't remember what it is. Someone here can chime in or you could call Dave B. He helped me confirm what I was loking for. There's also a tag on the case with a code telling what type of car and if it's open or HLSD.

You can also sell your tranny to a rebuild shop. I got $150 for mine. With that the whole project only cost me $700.00 plus the new fluid.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Thinks he is fast

I'm thinking about doing this as well, but my transmission has nothing wrong with it no 3rd gear crunch at all. What I want to do is swap it and sell my transmission on here. Any ideas on what it's worth with 62K?
Old 03-10-2007, 12:22 AM
And... I'm out

Originally Posted by maxspeedse02
I'm thinking about doing this as well, but my transmission has nothing wrong with it no 3rd gear crunch at all. What I want to do is swap it and sell my transmission on here. Any ideas on what it's worth with 62K?
personally depending on the route you go, and each person is different, for the cost vs the gain I wouldn't recommend selling a working transmission.

My transmission was dead in the water (wouldn't shift into 2nd, and I had a fried clutch). The transmission brand new never used was $1994 shipped to my house (now most people would go used, but then again, i am the kinda person who doesn't like sloppy seconds). Now, the shop that installed it ended up charging $404 for everything. I also upgraded the clutch and flywheel at the same time (if the transmission is already going to be out, best to upgrade those). All in all the whole shabang cost me roughly $3500 to do. Now I am also replacing my master and slave clutch cylinders as they are going on me (not saying it has anything to do with all of this). All in all the swap was worth it (as both the 02 Non HLSD, 02 HLSD, and 04 HLSD all cost the same price) but unless you need it, it is a lot of money for something soo little. my .02