5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Hi folks - considering GLE vs Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2000, 10:44 AM

I'm a Miata owner and love their website so I figured there would be something similar to this for the Maxima. Glad I found you. Don't get all offended by the comparisons please - I'm here rater than at an Avalon site after all !

I'm at the very end of deciding between a 2000 GLE with all the goodies and an Avalon XLS. A test drive revealed little difference beyond a slight power advantage to the Max and a slight quietness advantage to the Toyota so any longer term insight appreciated.

My basic questions: Does the "Traction Control" work worth a crap ? I'm suspicious of a traction control that does not include shifting power or braking to different wheels but instead just drops power. Note I live in the frozen tundra of MN and the Avalon has a very advanced skid control system.

About the only criticism I can find in the reviews is the headlights are crappy on the Max. Any upgrades available and is this really a weakness ?

Long term seat comfort ? The Avalon felt a bit more spacious for my 250lb weightlifter frame but I did like the Maxima's lower thigh support better.

Any long term issues or niggling problems on this model ?

I'd be especially interested in anyone who has owned or has experience with the newer Avalons.

Thanks again in advance !

DM

Old 10-18-2000, 10:49 AM
I'm needing a caw

I think you have answered your own->

questions. I don't think you will be able to get good long term info for such new cars. Both are nice. Does the Avalon come w/ LSD differential? I believe some of the newest Maximas come w/ this. This would be a great help in slippery conditions. Also you may be able to get a better price on a Maxima VS Avalon
Old 10-18-2000, 10:51 AM

If you want luxury, go with the Avalon. If you are more interested in performance, go with the Maxima. Fit and finish is better on the Avalon. You can get the GLE for a discount though. I think you can get one for around 26K. Not sure what the Avalon runs for, but I think it's around 30-34 K.
Old 10-18-2000, 10:57 AM

Yeah I know they're both new. But "long term" compared to me is anyone who's done more than a test drive so I'll gladly take any insight.

Best prices I've found so far are 25715 for GLE w/roof, meridian, traction and mats. Avalon is a tad more at 30888 for XLS with similar equipment. It comes out to about 560/mo vs 650/mo with no money down. In that bracket it won't kill me either way price wise.

I AM picky about squeaks and rattles ( fit and finish stuff ) but could see no real defects or difference. Where do you think the Maxima suffers in this area compared to Avalon ?

Thanks again folks.

Old 10-18-2000, 11:29 AM

oh hellz no

you considering getting the UGLY Toyota Avalon (FORD FOCUS LOOKING JAPANESE CAR) vs a GLE?

as a GLE owner i am offended. theres certain things you consider in life, that was not one of them.
Old 10-18-2000, 11:37 AM

My father-in-law just finished making this decision (well, his included a Lexus ES300 too). He went with the GLE because of the price, power, and appearance (in that order). He is a die-hard Toyota guy, too. The Avalon is very much an old-people's car, the Japanese version of a Buick Le Sabre. The Lexus cost $5-8K more and although it looks nice(r) and is quieter than the Maxima, he was irked about having to pay for things like leather as an option on a car already basing over $30K. The Maxima is a great car.
Old 10-18-2000, 11:37 AM

Well this may either help or offend you more but I'm not looking for a car based on looks all that much. Hell the last car I eliminated to choose between those two was a Diamante and if you want to talk about boring looking cars that's right up there. I'm more concerned for this car with mechanical and comfort features. I sit on the inside of the car after all and if I wanted people to think I have a beautiful car to impress them I'd buy a BMW instead.

I'm leaning the Maxima route ( I have a black car now and I agree with your naming - never again - I'm debating between Grey Lustre and Sterling ) but just need a couple of niggles addressed. From your list I assume upgraded bulbs are available. Would you recommend them ?

Old 10-18-2000, 11:45 AM

yep go for the good ones

Originally posted by dmall
Well this may either help or offend you more but I'm not looking for a car based on looks all that much. Hell the last car I eliminated to choose between those two was a Diamante and if you want to talk about boring looking cars that's right up there. I'm more concerned for this car with mechanical and comfort features. I sit on the inside of the car after all and if I wanted people to think I have a beautiful car to impress them I'd buy a BMW instead.

I'm leaning the Maxima route ( I have a black car now and I agree with your naming - never again - I'm debating between Grey Lustre and Sterling ) but just need a couple of niggles addressed. From your list I assume upgraded bulbs are available. Would you recommend them ?

Get PIAA brand bulbs.
THey come in 2 flavors, PLASMA(bluish hue) and PLATINUM(superwhite).
I have platinum headlights and foglights. On a black car it makes everything look very nice. The car stands out more.
y2kevse has the PLASMA ones for headlights, i think those offer more of the HID effect. not sure, but ask him.
Hey kev how does the PLATINUM vs PLASMA differ? got pics?

Old 10-18-2000, 11:50 AM

Here at the maxima site I would recommend maxima.. I've been through them all. A SE AUTO, SE STICK, GLE AUTO. and now a 2K Stick. Use to have a camry, Girlfriend now has a 98 camry. Avalon is a good car, not in the same class as the maxima maybe in my eyes, fit and finish would be better on the avalon, If U are willing to spend the money for the avalon then consider the I30. that may be a better fair comperason. and U will get better Lights with the I30. as far as traction control goes, GLE have that option. and 2001 the Manual have that option too. Avalon is bigger, Long term U'ld find more maximas on the road then Avalons so that should tell U right there that the car will last its life and not give U problems. Search through this board, not memy people who have problems with their maximas stock. Dead stock I mean and I mean mechanical problems. again thats my opinion and I'm sorry if I upset anyone.
Old 10-18-2000, 02:41 PM

Oh boy...you asked the right guy for Max problems :)

Let me first say: My car must have been built on a Friday afternoon...I trust you know what I mean by that

Where should I start?

Including the original parts, I am going on my 3rd set of electronic engine mounts and my 3rd ECM....in fairness to Nissan they are trying to eliminate a noiese or chirp that they belive the engine mounts make when they move. Are each of these parts defective? Maybe, maybe not but the noise is still there(after 2 sets, still waiting on parts for the 3rd set)

I have many many rattles in my Maxima that are quite annoying...the rear deck lid vibrates and reverbs over bumps(even little ones) and the glove box lock has a conversation with me while driving down the road Also the glovebox area seems quite noisy along with the A pillar(I think, too many creaks and cracks for me to pinpoint)

I needed the TCM swapped out due to slippage in the tranny...make sure you check to see if you have the new one in the GLE you are considering(after 5/00 build maybe?)

I have the bumper lip scratches due to the trunk lid being too close to the lip...dealer ordered the replacement clips that fixes that problem and should be installed when the other parts come in.

Not happy with the quality of the windshield(pits too soon) and the toughness of the paint is very suspect(way too many chips for the type of driving I do) btw my Max is Gray Lustre

I get slight pedal vibration on acceleration and a vibe in the wheel also...ever since I got my second ECM the car idles too low I believe at stop signs and it sounds like a slight groan somewhere under the car. Steering wheel also vibrates while in D at stops but smooth at idle...hopefully new ECM will correct this as car never did this before that was replaced.

HOWEVER I believe my Maxima is the exception not the rule...if every Maxima exhibited the problems that my car does Nissan woud be called Dodgissan

In fact I was looking at the 2001's in the lot yesterday and absolutely love the new reddish maroon color and the Satin Blue really caught my eye....if they(Nissan) offered me a refund on my car or one of those two colors I'd be hard pressed not to take another Max.....I truly believe it is a decent car but in my case I am very disapointed in mine.

Then again I REALLY like the Lexus I300 vs the Avalon for close to the same money.

I know this a pretty good slam on Maximas and maybe not reflective of other ones but I hope you can sense and see the frustration I've had with my car....
Old 10-18-2000, 03:19 PM

OK LEXUS IS300

thats considerable, aka worth considering over a 2kMAXIMA, but not over a 2k1 MAXIMA SE-A
BUt an avalon, its a freaking FORD FOCUS, just look at it.

Roger
Old 10-18-2000, 03:34 PM

For what it's worth

I bought a Maxima because I wanted a reasonably fun car that seated 4, had a manual transmission and was not too expensive (previously had an M3, which was a bit too expensive and impractical.

My wife has always hated any car I have owned because: 1) she can't drive a stick, the suspension is too firm, and the interior (even the M3 looks cheap and plastic-y). Surprise, surprise, my wife love my Maxima.

My wife is looking for a new car, and has recently crossed the Avalon off her list (she doesn't like the looks and the ride seems too much like a Buick). She has narrowed it down to the Acura TL and the Maxima GLE.

I suspect we will shortly be a two Maxima family, as the price of a fully equipped GLE is lower than the TL.

In sum, I would recommend checking out the TL (which I would have strongly considered if it came with a stick), but would heartily recommend the Maxima.

BTW - I have had absolutely no warranty problems or even minor defect with my Maxima - the first car I have owned that was defect-free. Obviously, others in this forum have had different experiences, but mine has been very pleasing...
Old 10-18-2000, 03:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Avalon

The Avalon I think is starting to grow on me, a lady in my town drives a black XL with splash guards and the sunroof visor, and I think it looks classy, but not as classy as the Max GLE. I think the I30 would be a better competitor to the Avalon, it comes basically loaded w/ leather, sunroof, and memory driver seat.

I will say that the interior of the Max and I30 look way better than the avalon, also why not look at the Passat GLX, they are very nice looking too.

Old 10-18-2000, 04:31 PM
rudylanda

what is your first priority?

You have to decide what is the most important aspect about your next car is... (reliability, confort, performance, overall value...) Then you can decide which car meets that criteria.. From what I get in your post you want a reliable car that is confortable and you will not be anoyed with mechanical problems... you are looking for something that is not black or white. If you want reliability... toss a coin... Toyota... my friend has a camary... never a problem.. but to damn booring he says...Honda Accord, fun.. yes, confortable... yes, good value.. yes, relaible.. maybe, my wife owns a y2k V6 EX, already (6K miles) replaced the Transmision, a elect. window motor, windshiel seal, and fuel gauge.. under warranty... but what else is coming. I had a 94.. never a problem, well exept the ticking valves. Nissan...I have a y2k GXE.. love the performance, fit & finish could be better. but great value.. and the looks, I had to go with stillen, I couldn't stand the stock looking apperance..

If you really want an overall value (if 28K is in your price range) and good reliability look at the TL...You get a lot for your money.. and options are limited to a Navigation sys. It only comes with an auto. trans... Like I said drive all of them.... Then flip a coin....j/k

Old 10-18-2000, 04:55 PM

why we chose the Maxima

My wife and I were down to choosing between 4 cars before we bought the 2k1 Maxima.

- Avalon XLS
- Honda Accord
- Acura 3.2 TL
- Maxima GLE

I liked the ride of the Avalon (not sporty but thought it might be nice for my wife). My wife drove it and decided it was just too blah. It didn't drive like anything, it was just transportation. She did like the memory seats though.

The Accord was just too common and my wife didn't want the same car everyone else drove.

We both liked the Acura 3.2 TL but didn't want to pay $29k for it. The dealership here and in Dallas wouldn't budge on the price.
We also thought the interior of the Acura was small compared to the Maxima.

We drove the Maxima GLE and SE and decided the GLE and SE drove equally as well but the SE looked better inside and out.

My wife still comes home from work telling me that people are still checking out her new 2001 Maxima SE Anniversary Edition. And we both love the color (blue with frost interior). And I love the way the Maxima handles. It is a great cruising car for backroads.

Let use know which one you choose.
Old 10-18-2000, 05:07 PM

I think the headlights are great. The Max is a great car for the money. You can't really go wrong with either, they are both well engineered cars. Basically comes down to personal preference.
Old 10-18-2000, 09:56 PM

My choice

If I could do it all over I would have gotten the acura 3.2. It is a great looking car and they hold their value very well. I also looked at the integra at the acure dealership and told the dealer "what is all of the hype about these cars? I told him later " this car looks like a civic on the inside with a better engine" What convinced me to get the 2k max was the 5 speed. I love to run through the gears...and the black leather,the instruments and dash layout in the max is the best in its class. I am not sure if you are a die hard foreign guy...but also take a look at the grand GTP! My friend just got one...more hp and than the max and faster...and if you like bells and whistles....the heads up display is pretty pimp! The reason I didn't get one in Kansas City is because every fricking redneck poophead has one! I also dislike all the buttons that are way too dated and all over the place! I do like the body style on the GTP more than the max....IMO..not sure if it is as much fun to drive.

Old 10-19-2000, 07:11 AM

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I tried the TL but was a bit disappointed in shoulder room and price too. The Lexus I hadn't thought of but on checking it out looks like it would be about 4k more than the Avalon, which is 4K more than the GLE, so different value prospect. BMWs are overpriced as hell and I am not convinced of the reliability of their smaller engines. E430 I would love but my wife would kick me out if I spent 55K on a car.

The ones I was serious about were the Acura, the MAxima, the Millenia, Diamante and Avalon. Drove em all. I'm a Mazda guy at heart ( 626 V6 + MIata 10AE ) so Millenia had the inside track but I found it cramped and surprisingly expensive for the S edition - more than all but the Avalon. TL I mentioned above. Diamante is very comfy but a bit tinny and rough under acceleration, so that left me with Avalon vs Maxima. I'm looking GLE so auto is the only option and I have the 6sp Miata for fun on the twisties and engaging driving so I don't need the SE.

Always had a soft spot for the Maxima and if it wasnt for the niggles over soft paint and lights etc, plus the lesser traction control cs Topyota, I would go for it in a heartbeat.

BAsically if you guys could reassure me the paint isn't as bad as all that and that the Z edition traction control works I'd join the fold in a heratbeat. Local dealer found me a 2000 Grey Lustre GLE with literally everything but the gold badging ( don't like that anyway) for $26438.

Old 10-19-2000, 06:24 PM

for the V6

I bought it mainly for the engine..I did a lot of engine research, and the Maxima obviously has one of the best V 6's out there. A couple of dudes have actually stopped me just to look at the engine, and drooled all over it. I spoke with a lot of Nissan owners with various older..like 10 and 15 year old vehicles. I was amazed by the number of hi-miler engines that people were saying still didnt burn or leak any oil..

On the practical side..being the husband of the year...(My wife knew I wanted a Max), and to be fair, we set up test drives in v6 Passats, Outbacks, Forresters, Camry's and Accords. She picked the Maxima as the best driver of them all..She likes the fact the she can still feel the road in the car,as opposed to being insulated from everything to the point of being totally out of touch with whats happening between the car and the road. She picked the Maxima...........whewwwwwwwwwwwww !!!!!! Since she's more of the outdoorsy Outback type,(we just sent one back off lease), we are equipping the car with Hakkepelitta 1's with studs. Others who have gone this route assure me it's the closest thing you can get to AWD..Never any winter driving/safety problems, (i've been asssured)... time will tell

[Edited by LeoB on 10-19-2000 at 08:41 PM]
Old 10-19-2000, 06:54 PM

lights and paint and traction

lights are great. I live out in the boonies where there aren't any streetlights and the low beam lights on the Maxima are good enough to catch the deer on the side of the road. The bronze tint on the Anniversary Edition make the lights blend into the body better.

The paint looks fantastic but chips easily.

Tested the Z traction control and didn't think it was worth the money. But it only rains a couple of weeks a year here and almost never freezes so I really don't need it.
Old 10-20-2000, 10:45 AM
Redlinemax Owner

"TOY" NUFF SAID!!!!!