5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

'03 6spd...good buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 07:55 AM

'03 6spd...good buy?

Hi guys, I hope this isn't a tiresome repost question, but there's a local dealer selling an '03 6-spd (loaded as all Canadian Maxes are ). The asking price is CAD$17K, probably get it for $16K. I haven't looked at the car as yet, but the mileage is about 42k miles (70K kms) which is quite good & the pics shows a clean car.
Assuming I go out there and the test drive is impressive, what should I look out for? My main concern is the oil-burning issue & 6spd durability, how would I be able to notice this?
Other little niggles I can live with, since no car is perfect.

Appreciate your input.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

check for the 3rd gear crunch, warped rotors, cracked fogs, and make sure the bose radio is in working order. not sure how to check for oil-burning issue. and negotiate that price. i think its a bit steep for an 03 max. the car is rare but still get em down. i paid only $14k (out the door) for my '02 6spd last january with the same number of miles and it was loaded with everything except navigation. g' luck tho.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The oil burning is going to be the biggest concern... Ask if they have a full service history, if they do... Look for any signs of an oil burning problem.

If not, headers ASAP... Since one of the causes of the oil burning pre-cat failure, they would fall apart and get sucked back into the motor.

I would start at $14,000 and go from there... I think you can get it for less than $16,000.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:13 AM

Uh, guys...

$16k Canadian is approx. $14k US dollars. So are you guys stating that he should offer $12k US for the car??

$14k US seems pretty reasonable for what he's potentially getting.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

^^^^ someone once told me reading is fundamental.....
Old 04-11-2007, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by nismopc
Uh, guys...

$16k Canadian is approx. $14k US dollars. So are you guys stating that he should offer $12k US for the car??

$14k US seems pretty reasonable for what he's potentially getting.

Lawlz... I forgot the silly Canadian thing.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:24 AM

Haha...np.. I know this Canadian thing is a cause for confusion. There are other 6spd cars that are a little cheaper, but they have higher mileage & only at used car lots..which I tend to avoid.
So 3rd gear crunch & service records...good tips...and try my cd-r's in it too I think the Bose CD issue was worse in the '02's...could be wrong.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:43 AM

i think im about to buy an 02 w/ 46k miles loaded for 14,500 and it listed at the dealer at 17,500. i had my mechanic look at it and there were a few things corroding (little on the flex section, exhaust hanger had a clamp rather than a weld, oil pan musta been scraped by somethin and had some corrosion). so im having them fix them and its a done deal.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:44 AM

Bought a used 03 6sp fully loaded (except navi)at a nissan dealership with for 16.9kcanadian back in november but had 90k km. They changed o2 sensors, back rotors(before buying), evap canister (2weeks after I bought it) and an airbag sensor since I bought it all free of charge. Since then all is fine but the car is burning a little bit of oil (about a quart /4000 km). Still I 'am pretty happy with the car.

It was 6 month ago and I think you should at least get it for 16K (even with the lower mileage) due to the difference in age of the car.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Porkepik
They changed o2 sensors, back rotors(before buying), evap canister (2weeks after I bought it) and an airbag sensor since I bought it all free of charge. Since then all is fine but the car is burning a little bit of oil (about a quart /4000 km).
That's a lot of stuff, but at least they changed it for free, keep an eye on the oil consumption.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:08 PM

Another way you can check for oil consumption is to examine the tailpipe for excessive soot. I just bought my 03 SE it has every option except Nav and the cargo area netting. I have been driving it hard (high rpms, between shifts) and so far I haven't noticed any oil loss. I intend to change the plugs out in the next 3k miles and see if there is any oil in the cylinders. btw: mine only had 39K miles on it when I bought it; paid $16.5 US. Also I don't know what ppl mean by the "6 spd crunch" but fill up with Redline MT 90 and you'll be butta.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Maxgig
Another way you can check for oil consumption is to examine the tailpipe for excessive soot.

Running rich will give you black soot also... I don't burn a drop of oil with my 3.0, but it runs rich so I have soot all over the pipes.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
Running rich will give you black soot also... I don't burn a drop of oil with my 3.0, but it runs rich so I have soot all over the pipes.
My point exactly, if he noticed soot that would be an indication that something needed to be looked at under the hood, because the car shouldn't be running rich, lean or burning oil.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:44 PM

My point exactly, if he noticed soot that would be an indication that something needed to be looked at under the hood, because the car shouldn't be running rich, lean or burning oil.

I just don't want him to look at the tail pipes and

Then go invest in oil companies...
Old 04-11-2007, 02:30 PM

Would there be noticeable blue smoke on startup? I'm just thinking since the car is sitting on the dealer lot, it would show some tell-tale signs of smoke. Then again it's so damn cold here, I'd most likely only see condensation vapour.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:31 PM

Another way you can check for oil consumption is to examine the tailpipe for excessive soot. I just bought my 03 SE it has every option except Nav and the cargo area netting. I have been driving it hard (high rpms, between shifts) and so far I haven't noticed any oil loss. I intend to change the plugs out in the next 3k miles and see if there is any oil in the cylinders. btw: mine only had 39K miles on it when I bought it; paid $16.5 US. Also I don't know what ppl mean by the "6 spd crunch" but fill up with Redline MT 90 and you'll be butta.
Good tips, I put MT-90 in my '95 after the tranny was rebuilt (bearing bad) & I love the way it shifts. If I do get the car, it will be one of the first things I do.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:49 PM

i recently got my 03 6spd in Manitoba for 14,900, with 65K on it. Mine was in increidble shape, and in ontario cars are slightly cheaper, deffinatly try and talk him down. I love this car, compare to my old 93 civic, a major step up. The only problem i have had is is the facotry bose deck skipping all the time, and my rotors might be slightly warped.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:43 AM

I don't see any soot on the tail pipes and do not see any leak so I don't know where the oil is going and I'm sure as hell I do not make any blue smoke, I don't care about filling a quart of oil between oil changes.
My bose unit do not skip and everything else is in great condition except a small trace of rust in the right rear wheel well but living in quebec I'm not too surprised about it with all the salt on our roads (the car was owned in quebec before I bought it) I will give it an oil treatment soon, but I don't care very much about the exterior appearance of the car, I need it to move and be a little bit reliable.

My CRV was bought new and during the first year they had to replace an abs sensor unit, airbag sensor unit, control valve and driver seat brushing , never had any problem after that so I don'T care that they had to replace some items on the max as long they do not break again (I'm aware about the O2 sensor being very sensitives to repeat failures).
But as long as i don't stall on the highway I'm fine(happened to me with a 91 accord and a busted O2 sensor, it was bucking like hell till the computer shut it off)
Old 04-12-2007, 12:54 PM

You know..I was reading Sooner's oil burning thread & the fact that it seems to be real issue with the VQ35, I may pass on this car. I'll still go and take a look at it, maybe an extended warranty can be arranged.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:03 PM
When are gas prices going down

Also I don't know what ppl mean by the "6 spd crunch" but fill up with Redline MT 90 and you'll be butta.
Ok, I'm ignorant. Is MT 90 a gear oil?
Old 04-12-2007, 03:10 PM
ILLJIM69

Originally Posted by Merlot02SE
Ok, I'm ignorant. Is MT 90 a gear oil?
indeed it is.

i used Mobil 1 gear oil, i would imagine its just as good as the Redline stuff.

jim

Old 04-13-2007, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by 95bluse
You know..I was reading Sooner's oil burning thread & the fact that it seems to be real issue with the VQ35, I may pass on this car. I'll still go and take a look at it, maybe an extended warranty can be arranged.
Not all burn oil so don't lose out a such a sweet car. I don't have any issues and I am almost at 70,000 miles......Not a single problem with my 03
Old 04-14-2007, 07:11 AM

I agree. You can't stereotype VQ35's as oil burners. I have no issues over my 70k miles. It's primarily a function of whether the car was properly broken in when new.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by housecor
I agree. You can't stereotype VQ35's as oil burners. I have no issues over my 70k miles. It's primarily a function of whether the car was properly broken in when new.
I agree totally.......
Old 04-14-2007, 08:52 AM
maxima0001

You can't stereotype VQ35's as oil burners..
Why not?...........Seems to a valid issue throughout the org

I have no issues over my 70k miles. ..
Says one person......Doesnt mean it isnt occuring in many other VQ35's

It's primarily a function of whether the car was properly broken in when new.

How do you know this?

Has there been a study to determine that its due to "improper engine break-in"??

(Which I believe is BS!)

Old 04-15-2007, 04:43 AM

You could actually check your oil every now and then like you are supposed to - problem solved!

Seriously, how hard is it to check your oil once a month?
Old 04-15-2007, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by maxima0001

How do you know this?

Has there been a study to determine that its due to "improper engine break-in"??

(Which I believe is BS!)
Question is how many 6speed are on the board and how many burn oil.......I don't think theres alot of them and if I remember someone did a poll and it didn't provide enough info. So until we get a number we shouldn't jump to conclusions.......
Old 04-15-2007, 10:38 AM
maxima0001

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
Question is how many 6speed are on the board and how many burn oil.......I don't think theres alot of them and if I remember someone did a poll and it didn't provide enough info. So until we get a number we shouldn't jump to conclusions.......

The issue isnt with the 6spd transmission.....its with the Engine!~

Two different issues altogether!!!

LOL @ your attempt to be intelligent...

Old 04-15-2007, 10:49 AM
maxima0001

I agree totally.......

So until we get a number we shouldn't jump to conclusions.......

You mean, like you did here?

Old 04-15-2007, 10:52 AM
Don't you know who I am?

The issue isnt with the 6spd transmission.....its with the Engine!~

Two different issues altogether!!!

LOL @ your attempt to be intelligent...
As much as I hate to admit it, however, there is at least a correlation. The WORST of the oil-burner's were all 6 speeds. Not to say only 6 speeds burn oil nor is this to say all 6 speeds do, but the worst cases tend to be 6 speeds.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:10 AM
maxima0001

Originally Posted by Rydicule
As much as I hate to admit it, however, there is at least a correlation. The WORST of the oil-burner's were all 6 speeds. Not to say only 6 speeds burn oil nor is this to say all 6 speeds do, but the worst cases tend to be 6 speeds.

Interesting...

I didnt think there would be any such correlation....or atleast I didnt know there was.....thx for the info!

Old 04-15-2007, 07:08 PM

I couldn't help but notice this thread is experiencing a little bit of A.D.D. Keep looking around if you have a little time...i picked up my '03 SE with a little under 18k miles for $12.5 about 2 months ago. Carfax did have 1 accident on it, but was only cosmetic damage. No bose, no leather, no sunroof, etc. but I had my own stereo to put in anyway and I'd rather have cloth. Sometimes the deal on the car is too good to pass up, so if you feel you can't find what you want for a little less, you just gotta suck it up and go for it. Oh yeah, and it's got the HLSD
Old 04-15-2007, 07:38 PM

I thought they linked a lot of the oil burning to pre-cat failure.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:57 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Interesting...

I didnt think there would be any such correlation....or atleast I didnt know there was.....thx for the info!

Also, that isn't to say the transmission has anything to do with it, but more likely the way a 6 speed driver drives the car compared to an auto.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:59 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Rydicule
Also, that isn't to say the transmission has anything to do with it, but more likely the way a 6 speed driver drives the car compared to an auto.
exactly......
Old 04-16-2007, 08:22 AM
Sexier Than Simpson

Just paid 14k for 03

I just paid 14k for my 03 SE 6sp with 51k, all options except Nav. I thought it was fair.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:28 PM

Interesting...

38 post and already an expert, huh.
I just love how ignorant people have to act when having a discussion.....Why too much time on your hands
Old 04-24-2007, 01:29 PM

How do you know this?

(Which I believe is BS!)
It is common for engines that have been abused early in life to burn oil. This explains why some here have issues, others don't. The only other logical explanation is inconsistent quality. Either way, a blanket statement doesn't apply since there are many here w/ no oil burn issues.

This phenomena is certainly not specific to the Maxima, any vehicle driven hard during break-in is more likely burn oil.

You may now continue your rant.