5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Air condition Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 06:20 AM

Air condition Problem

The AC compressor, dryer, and something else was replaced when the AC stopped getting cold. It's been working fine with no problems. HOWEVER, I never took the car on long trips, just normal day to day drive.

Here's the problem: On long trips with the AC on, it will start to loose pressure after awhile, meaning, it will keep blowing cold but, the air blows VERY low. If the air is turned off for a while and turned back on, it starts to blow the air at the normal pressure again.

What can be the problem?
Old 04-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Not sure what a dryer is, but maybe your fan motor is defective. Does the same thing happen when the A/C compressor is off or the heat is on?

If not, the only other thing I can think of is that the A/C evaporator is icing up and blocking air flow.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:46 PM

Might Be an Overcharged A/C System

The A/C could be overcharged (too much refrigerant). This causes the evaporator (where the air gets cold under the dash) to start icing up and restrict airflow into the Max. When you turn the A/C off for a short time, the ice melts and airflow returns to normal. Rinse and repeat. The "fix" is to have a qualified shop remove and recover the refrigerant from your A/C, pull a vacuum on the system, and then charge the A/C with the proper quantity of refrigerant by weight.
The above assumes you have the Max's manual A/C system (the one without a temperature display). The Max's Auto A/C system (the one with the Temp display) uses on board computer to control fan speed and air temp which will vary in normal operation.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:05 PM

I also have an A/C problem. I have a 03 SE with Digital Climate control and i turned the temp **** all the way to the cool side and the Temp went to 60F but no cold air came out. I looked under the hood and the Compressor clutch wasnt engaged. Im pretty sure it isnt a bad AC clutch or anything because of it being a newer car so is there a button on the climate control that i'm not pushing to engage the Cold air on the climate control???
Old 04-24-2007, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by allenmason
The A/C could be overcharged (too much refrigerant). This causes the evaporator (where the air gets cold under the dash) to start icing up and restrict airflow into the Max. When you turn the A/C off for a short time, the ice melts and airflow returns to normal. Rinse and repeat. The "fix" is to have a qualified shop remove and recover the refrigerant from your A/C, pull a vacuum on the system, and then charge the A/C with the proper quantity of refrigerant by weight.
The above assumes you have the Max's manual A/C system (the one without a temperature display). The Max's Auto A/C system (the one with the Temp display) uses on board computer to control fan speed and air temp which will vary in normal operation.
It makes sense as to why the air flow goes back to normal after a short time of turning off the AC. Thanks, I'll have some it the refrigerant removed and see if it fixes the problem.

BTW, I do have the manual AC system.