5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Best deals on brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007 | 06:51 PM

Best deals on brakes?

I need to replace discs and pads all the way around on my '03.

Looking for who has the best prices on OEM style; Brembo preferably for the discs but any quality disc will work. prefer ceramics for the pads.

Trying to keep the costs down...thanks fellas!
Old 04-19-2007 | 06:59 PM
Very sound, Mike

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com
Old 04-19-2007 | 07:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Look in the group deal section for any blank rotors and Hawk HPS pads.

You will be VERY happy.
Old 04-19-2007 | 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
Look in the group deal section for any blank rotors and Hawk HPS pads.

You will be VERY happy.
awesome, exactly what i was looking for. thanks

are his blank rotors the "vented" ones i see for sale on the web? what's the difference between the "vented" and the "solid"?
Old 04-19-2007 | 07:34 PM
Very sound, Mike

Your front rotors are vented, the rears are solid.

The Group Deal seller is good, although his prices are higher than on that site i posted. I was about to buy from the GD myself when i saw another post here recommending that site.
Old 04-19-2007 | 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by soundmike
Your front rotors are vented, the rears are solid.

The Group Deal seller is good, although his prices are higher than on that site i posted. I was about to buy from the GD myself when i saw another post here recommending that site.
thanks mike. i was comparing them also - them and tirerack of all places has low prices on the discs...just not sure if they have the pads i need.
Old 04-19-2007 | 07:46 PM
is invisible

http://forums.maxima.org/forumdispla...sprune=30&f=21
Old 04-19-2007 | 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by pcb122
awesome, exactly what i was looking for. thanks

are his blank rotors the "vented" ones i see for sale on the web? what's the difference between the "vented" and the "solid"?

Are you thinking of slotted and/or drilled?

If you are, they are pointless for the Max other than looks.

Blank (normal) will actually perform better since they have more surface area.
Old 04-19-2007 | 07:55 PM

Are you thinking of slotted and/or drilled?

If you are, they are pointless for the Max other than looks.

Blank (normal) will actually perform better since they have more surface area.
No, I'm thinking of the flat solid surface (nonslot/nondrill) but the fronts as Mike said are often listed as "vented".

Mike, where did you get your pads? from that same site also? they have free shipping which is nice too...

I put Akebono pads on my wife's bug about 6 mos ago and they work really well...don't know much about any other brands...you say the Hawks are the best bang for my buck for pads?
Old 04-19-2007 | 08:02 PM
Very sound, Mike

Yep, i got the pads from them as well. Brembo blanks all around with Hawk HPS. I haven't tried the Akebono's, so i can't comment on it. However, you'll find that a majority of suggestions here point to the HPS. It brakes very well, that's for sure. Although, some people have commented on squeals and creaks. Mine doesn't squeal but it does squeak when i slightly let go of the pedal while at a complete stop.

Free shipping sealed the deal for me, i saved about $40 for the package
Old 04-19-2007 | 08:22 PM
Cletus

i got OEM replacement rotors for $48 and Hawk HPS for $65
Old 04-19-2007 | 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by pcb122
No, I'm thinking of the flat solid surface (nonslot/nondrill) but the fronts as Mike said are often listed as "vented".

Mike, where did you get your pads? from that same site also? they have free shipping which is nice too...

I put Akebono pads on my wife's bug about 6 mos ago and they work really well...don't know much about any other brands...you say the Hawks are the best bang for my buck for pads?

Good, I just wanted to make sure everyone understood each other.

The Hawk HPS are GREAT pads, much better stopping power over OEM and they don't cause your rotors to start vibrating since they will not transfer pad material to the rotor.
Old 04-20-2007 | 06:16 AM
Banned

Hawk HPS pads for me, ive got powerslot slotted rotors, which are actually brembo rotors.

and most of my suff i ordered from WWW.AUTOPARTSWAREHOUSE.COM

just make sure u KNOW WHAT U WANT AND YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR GETTING BEFORE U ORDER. Their customer service is not the best, and i have heard some stories of them screwing up your order and taking lengthy times to process them
Old 04-20-2007 | 06:45 AM

Unless you're putting heavy demands on your brakes (such as decelerating from high speed/racing conditions several times in a short period of time) I think you would be well-served by just getting stock replacements (which it sounds like you are getting?). Never really understood why I see so many brake mods on street-driven cars...
Old 04-20-2007 | 06:59 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by Madsci
Unless you're putting heavy demands on your brakes (such as decelerating from high speed/racing conditions several times in a short period of time) I think you would be well-served by just getting stock replacements (which it sounds like you are getting?). Never really understood why I see so many brake mods on street-driven cars...
Our gen maxima has less than stellar pads that cause material transfer to the rotors as well as early fade especially in heavy traffic. This gives the driver a feeling of warped rotors and ultimately also decreases brake performance, even for a daily driver.

One can very well go with OEM rotors and aftermarket pads and it'll still perform much better than straight-up OEM.
Old 04-20-2007 | 07:32 AM

If you think stock brakes on the Maxima are fine... You have never had to make an emergency stop with them.

They fade VERY fast and the steering wheel is vibrating all the place... That sounds safe.
Old 04-20-2007 | 07:51 AM

Well, to each his own I guess. If you anticipate having to make multiple "emergency stops" in a row, then get some upgraded brakes. They're not going to fade in the middle of one stop, no matter how fast you're going. If your wheel is vibrating, then your rotors are warped or you have some other problem...
Old 04-20-2007 | 07:54 AM

Well, to each his own I guess. If you anticipate having to make multiple "emergency stops" in a row, then get some upgraded brakes. They're not going to fade in the middle of one stop, no matter how fast you're going. If your wheel is vibrating, then your rotors are warped or you have some other problem...

Once again you are wrong...

From a 75-0 stop they fade right out, and the vibration IS NOT the rotors... It is the OEM pads, they transfer pad material to the rotors giving an uneven braking surface... That causes the vibration.
Old 04-20-2007 | 08:04 AM

From a 75-0 stop they fade right out, and the vibration IS NOT the rotors... It is the OEM pads, they transfer pad material to the rotors giving an uneven braking surface... That causes the vibration.
Relax dude, there's no reason to get all uptight.

I've never had a problem with my brakes, and never had a shimmy with other friends' maximas. If brakes are fading its generally because of overheating which is most often a function of rotors rather than pads. Is there a recall on this?
Old 04-20-2007 | 08:05 AM
Very sound, Mike

I don't usually jump on the bandwagon, but i'll have to agree with updatemax completely here.

It's hard to judge how bad something is if you have nothing better to compare it to.
Old 04-20-2007 | 08:06 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

My God, some people just don't get it.
Old 04-20-2007 | 08:06 AM
Very sound, Mike

Relax dude, there's no reason to get all uptight.

I've never had a problem with my brakes, and never had a shimmy with other friends' maximas. If brakes are fading its generally because of overheating which is most often a function of rotors rather than pads. Is there a recall on this?
Not that i'm aware of. I actually ran the OEM pads on brembo blanks for a while and the fade was still there, the OEM pads really can only go so far. In city driving it's fine, but on highways you can really make out the difference.
Old 04-20-2007 | 08:08 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

If brakes are fading its generally because of overheating which is most often a function of rotors rather than pads. Is there a recall on this?
Wrong again, it's all the crappy pads.
Old 04-20-2007 | 08:10 AM
Cletus

OEM pads are sh1tty but people wrongly assume its the rotors. if you get better pads, the rotors will be fine.
thats why i got new rotors when i got the hawk pads...the rotors on the car where trashed because of the bad pads.
the HPS are a better material so they wont overheat (or overheat the rotors) and tranfer material.
Old 04-20-2007 | 08:18 AM

I assume when reffering to HPS pads, you mean the ceramic ones?? Cause I got brembo blanks but i think i put HPS hawks non-ceramic ones, its it was a nightmare..
Old 04-20-2007 | 08:20 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by nicks79
I assume when reffering to HPS pads, you mean the ceramic ones?? Cause I got brembo blanks but i think i put HPS hawks non-ceramic ones, its it was a nightmare..
no
HPS are Ferro-Carbon
Old 04-20-2007 | 08:22 AM

In addition, 02-03's had a slightly better braking system than the 00-01's... Personally, I've never had a problem with my brakes. At 61K miles, I'm almost at the end of my 2nd set of front pads and have always used OEM. I'm also on my original set of rotors. Only now has braking performance been sub-par. In any case, I feel the 02-03's give a fairly good compromise of low-dust/noise and performance for a daily-driving application.
Old 04-20-2007 | 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
no
HPS are Ferro-Carbon

What about ceramic pads? shouldn't those be better? HPS have been a nightmare for me. Had to cut rotors twice. This time I am going to try Akebono ceramics or Hawk Ceramics..

ALso, tire rack has a pretty good deal on these.
Old 04-20-2007 | 08:56 AM
Time2go!

HAWKS pads are VERY good if you are Auto Crossing or Racing and do not care if you have to clean your rims every 3 days. Hawks & Greenstuffs are very dusty but much better stopping than Akebono.

Do you want to stop on a dime and clean you wheels or just stop?

Akebono ceramics are a much better pad than stock and are almost dustless.

I have Used all pads (4)
Hawks = Great stopping DUST
Greenstuffs = Good stopping, crazy dust!
*Akebono ceramics = Better than stock and VERY low dust.
*currently my front pads
*Stock OEM = ok stopping poor stock dust.
*Only used for ream pads
Old 04-20-2007 | 08:57 AM
Time2go!

*Only used for ream pads

^^^^^
* ONLY USE FOR REAR PADS ....LOL
Old 04-20-2007 | 09:01 AM
Cletus

i pick...
stop on a dime and clean your wheels
Old 04-20-2007 | 09:08 AM
Time2go!

Somehow Sooner I knew you would....lol
Old 04-20-2007 | 10:27 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

Originally Posted by soonerfan
i pick...
stop on a dime and clean your wheels

I would rather stop on a dime and have to clean my wheels then crash my car with clean wheels.
Old 04-20-2007 | 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Stardust

I would rather stop on a dime and have to clean my wheels then crash my car with clean wheels.

But at least it would be a clean crumpled wreck.
Old 04-20-2007 | 10:51 AM

Last thing I care about is how my wheels look. I just don't want to replace rotors every 10k miles... thats what happened in my case.. So, I want to stop on the dime without getting carpell tunnel in my forearms from shaking steering wheel.
Old 04-20-2007 | 11:03 AM

hey time2go, how did you like the akebono pads? i was thinking about going with those and generic rotors? how long did it last? any kind of noises or grinding vs. hawk hps pads? im on the fench about which set of pads to get.
Old 04-20-2007 | 11:38 AM
Time2go!

Originally Posted by nk2k2
hey time2go, how did you like the akebono pads? i was thinking about going with those and generic rotors? how long did it last? any kind of noises or grinding vs. hawk hps pads? im on the fench about which set of pads to get.
I like the Akebono the best, but that is just my opinion. I have a short ride to work when I do go in the office. I do not race or auto-cross. Just a sporty driver that like to clean up on civics.

Akebono are very good pads for the money. They are silent and VERY low dusting. I do not have any reason to stop on a dime every single time I hit the brakes. I have full coverage insurance and I can get a new car if crash it and it will be a very clean crumpled wreck. LOL.

The Hawks where VERY good pads (Ok, Excellent pads ) as long as you follow the directions and "BED Them In" correctly. I had a little bit of noise but thats just the way they are. NO grinding or chirping, just a harder pad for more Bite. (Hence why you stop on a dime) I also think I had no issues with them like others, because I know how to put pads on and I surfaced my rotors each time.

I hope that helps you out. Oh and if I crash you can be the first to buy my Custom made Gun Metal "power coated" G35 coupe wheels...lol they will be clean.
Old 04-20-2007 | 12:03 PM

hey thanks for the response. im going to go with akebono this time and see what happens. im going to pair it with brembo blanks. time2go, did you say you used the akebono ceramics? if so did you have to bed them in properly like the hawks?
Old 04-20-2007 | 12:28 PM
Banned

Me personally i dont mind the dust, BECAUSE I KNOW I CAN STOP ON A DIME
I have no problem cleaning my rims off,
Old 04-20-2007 | 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by soundmike
when I looked onto this website it was 178.99 for the brembo slotted for an 01'..I wasnt quite sure if that was for the front only? OR also for the ears?

Quick Reply: Best deals on brakes?