5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Not your normal brake problem - noise. 2k Max

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 03:15 PM

Not your normal brake problem - noise. 2k Max

I recently did the brakes on my fathers 2000 ...

I used Napa Rotors/pads (not the lowest, but the middle grade) on all 4 corners, and all was good for about 2-3 months. It seemed like almost over night the car developed a rather weird clicking/clunking noise while braking, but the weird part is, it only happens at like 10-20% braking pressure. Not while coasting, and not while braking harder. It happens at any speed, even just creeping forward at idle. The sound changes at low speed obviously but is still apparent. It sounds like the type of noise when you let off the brakes at a light and they just slightly grab a little before you release.. and when you brake at any higher speed (10-15mph and up) it clicks at the rate of rotation. The other weird part is, it really only seems to be coming from the front left side. Keep in mind all has been quiet and fine for a good 2-3 months until recently. I removed the calipers on both fronts and rebuilt with a Nissan brake kit (shims and clips, all that stuff) and reinstalled all the brake parts while ensuring application of brake quiet product. No change whatsoever. My thoughts are beginning to think it might have something to do with the strut. I would love to figure out this noise, its really loud and pretty embarassing to be honest... Does anyone have any insight? I am going to check this thread often. Will be glad to answer any questions. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2007, 03:22 PM
STFU n00b!

First guess is that it may not be a brake problem.

CV joints in good shape?
Wheel bearings?

The wheel bearings in 5th gens are known to be an issue.. also, a worn/loose CV joint can exhibit some of the same symptoms. you might check those out and see what you can figure out.

also, look for cracks in the wheel spokes. I've seen a cracked wheel make funny sounds like that as the wheel flexes when the cracked spoke gets loaded/unloaded as it rotates.

Just a couple thoughts. all those are easy to check and doesn't cost anything to examine.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:26 PM

Alright thanks for the tips Matt93SE... I am going to check it out later for sure I want to get to the bottom of this one..

Another thing worth mentioning.. When I removed the brakes the first time after the few months they were installed, the wear looked good, and the car is still and was stopping well prior to the change. I can't help but think it might not be the brakes as you said, since the noise came after the brakes were already done for a while..

Any more thoughts?