5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

A deal on 2001's

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2000, 09:30 PM

If you are looking for a great deal on a new Maxima, I have a solution. Buy it up in Canada. I did that last month to get my 2001 Pathfinder. It's a lot easier than you might think, and you will save a bundle. It's because the US dollar is so strong right now. US and Canadian vehicles are identical. Safety and emissions are the same. The warranty is valid in the US. Going through Customs took about 20 minutes. Yes, there are a few forms to fill out, but it's easy. Registration here at home was no problem (same fees and taxes as if I'd bought it down the street).

The Canadian Maximas come better equipped than the US versions. The SE for example comes standard with 20th Anniv, Bose, leather, limited slip, and everything in the Com&Con and Meridian packages. The difference in prices right now on this is about $4200 (after figuring exchange rate and duty).

Here are some examples of prices from the dealer I bought from:
1)Maxima GXE, auto trans, traction control, and convenience pkg. Convenience pkg contains everything in the Meridian and Com and Con pkgs. US$21,400.
2)Maxima SE 20th Anniv., Auto trans. With traction control, Bose, Meridian, leather, but not the spoiler pkg. US$23,600.
3)Maxima GLE. Auto trans. With traction control, sunroof, Meridian. $US23,400.

I'll be glad to help out anyone interested. I researched a number of dealers across Canada before I bought so I now have a few good contacts that will come down close to invoice. I couldn't resist saving that much money for a short trip.

Jon
Old 10-19-2000, 07:04 AM

I thought about doing this, since the Canadian versions are better equipped and cheaper, but I thought it was illegal. Do they come with US Federal Spec equivalent or Cali Spec emissions? And is it possible that some states may not allow you to do this?
Old 10-19-2000, 07:34 AM

More info on this please!

I'm moving to Washington in a few weeks and I'll be right there by Canada. If they come out with the 260hp engine next year I'll be all over it like white on rice. Can anyone verify if this is legal?

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2000, 08:20 AM

Folks,
Not illegal at all to buy a vehicle in Canada and bring it home to the US! Essentially every vehicle currently being sold in Canada meets US emissions (and with rare exceptions Cal too). The sticker is under the hood that says so. And Nissan gives you a letter that you show to US Customs to prove it. Safety requiremts are met too.

And your state doesn't care either. When you register the car at home you just show them the Customs entry document. Then pay registration and sales tax just like you bought it down the street. Canada refunds the sales tax you paid there.

I'm amazed that anyone within 1000 miles of Vancouver or Toronto at least doesn't consider this option. That's a lot of money to save for a one day drive.

-Jon
Old 10-19-2000, 08:27 AM

Okay... but what about the mandatory Cali spec emissions for most of the eastern seaboard? Which brings up another question. If your state has the mandatory Cali spec emissions standard, such as Maryland, can you pick up a Federal spec car from another state? What does rare excpetions mean? Do you mean that most of the Candadian cars are Fed spec, but a few are Cali spec too?
Old 10-19-2000, 09:04 AM

US vs Cal emissions

Sorry if I confused - I'll clarify.

Every car sold in Canada that is also sold in the US meets US emissions. All of them that I know of also meet Cal emissions, but there might be exceptions that I don't know about.

More to the point here for this audience - the Maxima specifically does meet all US and California emissions.

-Jon
Old 10-19-2000, 10:34 AM

Re: US vs Cal emissions

Originally posted by JonL

Every car sold in Canada that is also sold in the US meets US emissions. All of them that I know of also meet Cal emissions, but there might be exceptions that I don't know about.

More to the point here for this audience - the Maxima specifically does meet all US and California emissions.

-Jon
Wow, does it also apply to other auto makers??? Like Honda, Bmw, Audi, etc ??? That's a real bargain there...!
Old 10-19-2000, 11:25 AM

Re: Re: US vs Cal emissions

Originally posted by GT_icecream
Originally posted by JonL

-Jon
Wow, does it also apply to other auto makers??? Like Honda, Bmw, Audi, etc ??? That's a real bargain there...!
Well the emissions part is true at least. But other factors can come into play. For example, Honda does not honor the warranty in the US. And some of the BMW and Audi prices are close to the US prices. It's always worth looking at though.

But Pathfinders and Maximas are a great bargain. Infiniti and Toyota too. A number of Canadian dealers want your business.

-Jon
Old 10-19-2000, 11:34 AM

is the speedometer in MPH or KPH ? Canada uses KM insted of miles. Make sure U R correct on that
Old 10-19-2000, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by PIONEER
is the speedometer in MPH or KPH ? Canada uses KM insted of miles. Make sure U R correct on that
Speedometer is in km/h and mph. Odo is in km. I haven't changed mine, but you can if you wish. Any speedo shop or the dealer can do it and set the miles properly. About $300.
-Jon
Old 10-19-2000, 12:22 PM

Now that sounds like a bargain

cananda is six hours from home for me to save for to five grand in the exchange? Damn I gonna call my credit union and see how to work the exchange.
Old 10-19-2000, 12:59 PM

Re: Now that sounds like a bargain

Originally posted by Hrdayz
cananda is six hours from home for me to save for to five grand in the exchange? Damn I gonna call my credit union and see how to work the exchange.
First, your CU probably isn't used to doing currency exchange (mine wasn't). But second, the dealers will take US checks.

Email me if you want more info or contacts.

-Jon
Old 10-19-2000, 01:06 PM
Rit

Group Deal on Canadian Maximas, eh?

j/k
Old 10-19-2000, 06:11 PM

Caution: the warranty

Hi.

I'm Canadian and I'm currently living in California.

A note of caution. I brought down my Acura 1.6 EL with me. I spoke with the Acura people and they told me my warranty would be valid in the US until I sold the car to a US citizen. So the warranty is not transferable at all in the US.

It could noticeably hurt your resale value if Nissan has the same policy, especially if you plan to sell the car after only a year or two. But then again, if the Maxima is as good as you guys say it is, that shouldn't happen.

I am shopping around for a new car and hesitating between the TL and the Maxima. I might just go and pickup a Canadian Maxima in Vancouver. It looks like a sweet deal.

By the way, most Canadian cars meet US emission standards.

Old 10-19-2000, 08:32 PM

Nissan warranty

cacau,
You are right that Honda/Acura warranties are not transferrable from Canada to the US. However, this is not true with Nissan. I called Nissan US and they had no problem that I bought my vehicle in Canada. Full factory warranty at any Nissan dealer in North America.
-Jon
Old 10-20-2000, 05:54 AM

hmm

anyway I could order one and pay shipping charges to have it sent to my dealer? It would be a few hundred bucks, but it still saves me a couple grand from buying down here! I live in NJ and fear canada is a little out of my way, however i'm purchasing a 2k1 soon!
Old 10-20-2000, 08:13 AM

Re: hmm

Originally posted by Nine7Max
anyway I could order one and pay shipping charges to have it sent to my dealer? It would be a few hundred bucks, but it still saves me a couple grand from buying down here! I live in NJ and fear canada is a little out of my way, however i'm purchasing a 2k1 soon!
Well, I guess you could have it shipped from Toronto. But I'm sure it would be a whole lot less to get a cheapie air ticket to Toronto or Buffalo and then drive home. I got an airline ticket all the way from Minnesota for $250.

It's only 450 miles to northern NJ. I've had lots of inquiries from NYC, and the person going up tomorrow is from Maryland. Toronto is a lot closer to most people than they might think.

-Jon
Old 10-20-2000, 08:41 AM

thanks

how would I get in contact with a major dealer up there? I would like to get an AE if they're really that cheap, but hell even the SE's are cheaper and more hooked up than down here.
Old 10-20-2000, 09:30 AM

Re: thanks

Originally posted by Nine7Max
how would I get in contact with a major dealer up there? I would like to get an AE if they're really that cheap, but hell even the SE's are cheaper and more hooked up than down here.
Email me. In my research I found some good dealers that will sell for big discounts, have large inventories, and don't mind doing business over the phone.
Jon
jonlofquist@aol.com