5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2000 Maxima SE Rear Sway Bar???

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2000, 11:34 PM

I just bought my Maxima SE this August. It's great but it has it's bugs... squeeky noises coming from the front driver seat, could be the seatbelt clip or something and the other things that everyone's been complaining about.

But my real question is if anyone out there with a 2000 Maxima SE actually has a rear sway bar or anti roll bar on their car. It's been bothering me that it is stated on the sticker that it has a front and rear sway bar. But I don't see one on the rear except for the bar that's within the hollow beam and ends on each side, it's probably part of the beam.

Yet when I see pictures of people that (upgraded or just added?) has an aftermarket rear sway bar looks like what it should if the factory actually installed one.

So, is this supposed to be a Nissan gimmick? What do you Maxima owners think? I think it's misleading.

Anyways, I'm just wondering because I think we are all mislead if it doesn't have one.

Old 10-19-2000, 07:00 AM

Yes... that's an actual sway bar within the hollow beam. It's no gimmick. The SE has a thicker one than the GLE and GXE.
Old 10-19-2000, 08:49 AM
Sly

Originally posted by Paul2kGXE
Yes... that's an actual sway bar within the hollow beam. It's no gimmick. The SE has a thicker one than the GLE and GXE.
It's there but I don't consider it a true sway bar like the more traditional front setup. The rear is integrated into the beam suspension and it does an adequate job for everything except the extremes like when autocrossing.
Old 10-19-2000, 05:16 PM

I recomend an aftermarket real Sway Bar

My friend I recommend you a real SB like the Stillen. I have an Y2K SE Auto Trans and it used to be realy bad with the stock version. I instaled the Stillen SB and their Eibach Pro Springs, now it feels almost like a real sport car. Most of the Guys around have them.

Originally posted by young1976
I just bought my Maxima SE this August. It's great but it has it's bugs... squeeky noises coming from the front driver seat, could be the seatbelt clip or something and the other things that everyone's been complaining about.

But my real question is if anyone out there with a 2000 Maxima SE actually has a rear sway bar or anti roll bar on their car. It's been bothering me that it is stated on the sticker that it has a front and rear sway bar. But I don't see one on the rear except for the bar that's within the hollow beam and ends on each side, it's probably part of the beam.

Yet when I see pictures of people that (upgraded or just added?) has an aftermarket rear sway bar looks like what it should if the factory actually installed one.

So, is this supposed to be a Nissan gimmick? What do you Maxima owners think? I think it's misleading.

Anyways, I'm just wondering because I think we are all mislead if it doesn't have one.

Old 10-19-2000, 07:20 PM

Re: I recomend an aftermarket real Sway Bar

Originally posted by Pepo
My friend I recommend you a real SB like the Stillen. I have an Y2K SE Auto Trans and it used to be realy bad with the stock version. I instaled the Stillen SB and their Eibach Pro Springs, now it feels almost like a real sport car. Most of the Guys around have them.

You have the Eibachs on your stock struts/shocks? How long have you had them and how are they holding up?
Old 10-19-2000, 10:07 PM

Thanks you guys for the info. That's what I thought after going underneath the car and noticed the bar under the beam. That's cheasy. Once I have enough dough, after the car payments I'll consider FSTB, RSTB, and rear anti-roll bar.

Thanks again for clarifying that and that I'm not the only one noticing it.

Old 10-19-2000, 10:27 PM
rudylanda

sway bar

I have the Stillen Sway bar. It's worth it.. it's pricey but, then again everything from stillen is.. if You could find one from another manufacturer try it.. like eibach or S/T. I have the front & rear strut bars. I installed one item at a time to see if they made a differance.. they do. the rear one is a pain to install. I have eibach springs.. and I have not found any aftermarket shocks to go along with them.. my stock ones suck. my car bottoms out on every dip and bounces up and down.. I guess is not that bad but I was used to my Honda with neuspeeds and koni's (yellow) adjustables. Whatever you can do to improve the Max's handling is well worth it.. it needs help.

Old 10-20-2000, 07:17 AM

Eibach Pro Springs

Eibach Pro Springs are okay with the stock shocks/struts. It drops the car a little more than an inch, but I don't want to roughen my ride anymore. Contrary to what was said to me, my ride got a little rougher with the RSB. It's fine on smooth roads, but I notice a jarring effect on rough roads. The better handling is well worth it though.
Old 10-20-2000, 08:09 AM

Hey Paul what do you mean by jarring effect?

Does the RSB making some noises?

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2000, 08:16 AM

Re: sway bar

Originally posted by rudylanda
I have the Stillen Sway bar. It's worth it.. it's pricey but, then again everything from stillen is.. if You could find one from another manufacturer try it.. like eibach or S/T. I have the front & rear strut bars. I installed one item at a time to see if they made a differance.. they do. the rear one is a pain to install. I have eibach springs.. and I have not found any aftermarket shocks to go along with them.. my stock ones suck. my car bottoms out on every dip and bounces up and down.. I guess is not that bad but I was used to my Honda with neuspeeds and koni's (yellow) adjustables. Whatever you can do to improve the Max's handling is well worth it.. it needs help.
So you're pretty much saying that it handles better but the stocks shocks are not up to the task at all? It's starting to look more and more like I'll be waiting until we have some decent replacements before I can do it. This sucks, my fear is that we may never have a decent replacement...
Old 10-20-2000, 08:19 AM

Re: Hey Paul what do you mean by jarring effect?

Haven't noticed any noises. Over some bumps the car feels rougher (firm), but more stable at the same time. It's not a huge change, but something I've noticed. (I may have overstated the degradation of ride quality. I'm talking about a minor difference.) Another thing I notice is that my tires no longer squeal when taking a turn hard. The wheels stay planted, which is what this RSB is all about.

Originally posted by Dany
Does the RSB making some noises?

Thanks.
[Edited by Paul2kGXE on 10-20-2000 at 10:34 AM]
Old 10-20-2000, 08:34 AM

what makes the most difference?

Replacing the front or rear sway bar in a 2K SE?
:vampire:

[Edited by Mabfnar on 10-20-2000 at 10:40 AM]