5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

3M Rubbing Compound

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 01:28 PM

3M Rubbing Compound

OK i recently bought this stuff because i had and have Scratch's on my car and i was reading some other posts about rubbing compound and other scratch remover products and some people are asking about clear coat damage is this something i should worry about iam very good about my car taking care of it etc. i mean dont get me wrong i was only doing whats best for my car and saving myself money by not going to the body shop or using touch up paint i originally intend to use it on my front bumper because i had and still have a huge brush mark on it. it did a good job but i still see scratches but it took the white paint out that was on it from the scratch and dulled the scracthes a little bit. ill post a picture if any body has opinions on this it would be greatly appreciated also i was about to get the Nu-Finish stuff but they didnt have any where i went to buy this rubbing compound. its 3M Rubbing Compound that removes scratches water spots. etc it says its safe on clear coat also i have a scratch on my headlight would i be able to use this stuff on the headlights or no.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:37 PM

I would use Plastic-X by meguirs for the headlights. I just recently used the product and after about 10 minutes of solid rubbing it REALLY helped. My headlights almost look brand new now. As for the scratch, next to sanding the bumper and repainting it i would say use the 3m compound which i have heard from friends works well, then VERY carefully touch it up, using of course the minimal paint required. However if the bumper is in pretty bad shape- might wanna repaint it. hope this helps.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by slvrmax7
I would use Plastic-X by meguirs for the headlights. I just recently used the product and after about 10 minutes of solid rubbing it REALLY helped. My headlights almost look brand new now. As for the scratch, next to sanding the bumper and repainting it i would say use the 3m compound which i have heard from friends works well, then VERY carefully touch it up, using of course the minimal paint required. However if the bumper is in pretty bad shape- might wanna repaint it. hope this helps.

iam just worried about messing up the clear coat i just got done finishing up the scratch removing i did it yesterday and finished up today when i got home from school. ill try the plastic stuff by maguirs. thanks for the input. how much does that stuff cost.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You will get more response for this in this sub forum

http://forum.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=69
Old 05-09-2007, 01:46 PM

3M fine cut perfect it II and III get my vote. They are clearcoat safe. Yes- you absolutely can use the 3m compund on the lights. They use the 3m compound on the Head lights on the bimmer forums. use that with a powerball. I have also heard of people using metal polish. Don't know how safe that is in the long run though.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:51 PM

so your saying its ok to use on the headlights. the compound i got has a yellow sticker on it with a nissan murano it doesnt say perfect II or III.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:35 PM

this thread should be moved to the detailing section
Old 05-15-2007, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by STILLENGLE
so your saying its ok to use on the headlights. the compound i got has a yellow sticker on it with a nissan murano it doesnt say perfect II or III.
I dunno aboutthe bottle you have. I know the stuff that I have I bought many years ago. It comes in a dark gray bottle. NO picture on it. Just words. if it doesnt have say perfect it II or III, then I would test it on your neighbors headlight first. LOL jk.