5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

350Z Clutch, 03 Tranny, Rear Main Seal...(Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 07:42 AM
CAN YOU PUT IT ON THE WALL?

When I did the swap, I didn't have it machined...just deglazed it with a "wizzer wheel". I was pressed for time on the swap due to a delay in the shop being able to stick on their quoted start day...I had to have the car to drive home for business...so for sake of expedience, just hit it with same technique that you would scuff rotors with. So far so good. I have 20k on since then and no problems...one piece of feedback though: When the clutch engages, i get a little bucking starting out. I have a feeling that its because the clutch and the PP are sprung and to get it to smoothly engage every time it takes a bit of focus. You almost have to slowly preload the springs so that there is not the recoil if you engage a little rough. Some may say it's my driving, but I have had several people with a lot more experience drive it and they feel the same way. Most noteable, Jim Sauter, father of NASCAR series drivers Jay Sauter(Nationwide), Johnny Sauter (Sprint) and driver Tim Sauder(NCTS). Jim has a little seat time himself, being one of 3 drivers to dial in the car setups for the old IROC series and doing some time on the old Winston Cup circut.

Other than the springy feel occasionally I have no complaints or issues...and no noise since the first 50 miles.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:34 PM
--+--

Well there it is. thats what I was wanting, words from the one with experience. So if I can't afford the fidanza flywheel to go with a sprung disk, what are the other options for clutches? Exedy stage one looks like it has a sprung disk also. I know everybody that replaces their clutch don't replace their flywheels also do they? And if they don't what are they putting back in? OEM spec?
Old 01-12-2008, 10:40 PM

Most places will not machine the dual mass flywheel and Nissan said it should not be machined.. I have no idea what those people do, but I do believe (based on experiences here as well as what I was told), that replacing the flywheel is part of the situation.

The dual mass flyhweel costs less than a Fidanza. But I figured I might as well get what a lot of other people are using for more money, then in the future I could just replace the surface plate on the Fidanza for 60 bucks.

I think the dual mass is around 350. It's not that much of a savings.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:29 AM
--+--

Sorry for the confusion in that previous post, I was wondering what other clutch disks work with the stock flywheel? by me saying "what are they putting back in", I was referring to clutch disks.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:40 AM

My experience was similar to IWNTMORHP!!s. That's a very acurate description of the problem. It did feel like something you would blame on bad driving. I've only owned manual cars for the last 20 years. I also sell cars which puts me behind the wheel of anything from a Z06 Corvette to a heavy duty diesel truck. Handling a clutch is not an issue for me.

You should be able to use any disk made for the 350Z. Check with the aftermarket clutch manufacturers for an unsprung disk for a newer 350Z.

The exedy is basicaly the same part as the 350Z clutch. It just costs a lot more. Get the 350Z clutch kit and an unsprung disk from somewhere else. You would still be cheaper than an aftermarket stage one kit. You could probably even e-bay the stock disk or see if Dave B. can sell just the pressure plate without the disk.

Last edited by Derrick2k2SE; 01-13-2008 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:25 PM

so let me get this right i a have a 03 maxima se 6spd an if i get a stock 350z clutch a 03 maxima stock thro out bearing an a 03 maxima Fidanza flywheel it will work just fine no problems and still have the performance of an aftermarket performance set up
Old 02-11-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by i8nda1
so let me get this right i a have a 03 maxima se 6spd an if i get a stock 350z clutch a 03 maxima stock thro out bearing an a 03 maxima Fidanza flywheel it will work just fine no problems and still have the performance of an aftermarket performance set up
Correct.

350z Clutch.
Maxima throw out bearing.
Fidanza Flywheel.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:42 PM

I'm back to stock flywheel (new one) and a stock clutch. My 350z clutch and Fidanza flywheel didn't last more than a couple years. It was nice while it lasted but made a ton of noise and come to find out the bolts pulled out of the flywheel and the clutch ended up damaged. No-one really knows why, maybe I should send the flywheel back to Fidanza for eval. Either way, wasn't my driving since I babied the thing.

Needless to say the replacement OE clutch and Dual-mass flywheel are going strong.

Just thought I'd pass this on for people who are thinking of doing this. You may end up paying basically to do the job over again if it goes horribly wrong.

In my case I have a 2002 with no LSD and the 6MT.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by droobie
I'm back to stock flywheel (new one) and a stock clutch. My 350z clutch and Fidanza flywheel didn't last more than a couple years. It was nice while it lasted but made a ton of noise and come to find out the bolts pulled out of the flywheel and the clutch ended up damaged. No-one really knows why, maybe I should send the flywheel back to Fidanza for eval. Either way, wasn't my driving since I babied the thing.

Needless to say the replacement OE clutch and Dual-mass flywheel are going strong.

Just thought I'd pass this on for people who are thinking of doing this. You may end up paying basically to do the job over again if it goes horribly wrong.

What was the TQ setting on the Fidanza flywheel bolts? Sounds like they were not tightened enough. Could also be that the Fidanza flywheel is aluminum Vs. a OEM steel one, with two different metal expansion rates it could cause some issues over time. Knowing what I know now, when I install aluminum non-oem flywheels I run a tap/die over the flywheel bolts/threaded holes and clean them with brake cleaner. Then use a LOW strength Loctite threadlocker and torque with a calibrated TQ wrench.

and I don't baby my Maxima...

Last edited by 98SEBlackMax; 02-11-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:42 PM

Not sure what the settings were. I had a place I absolutely trust to do the work do it though. I expected to get a little more than 18-20K on my clutch, I'll tell ya that.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:58 PM

There must have been something wrong because a lot of people have had good experiences with that setup.

I've been hammering on mine for almost 3 years now and it's still going strong. I've got about 30,000 miles on the 350Z clutch with close to 100 passes at the drag strip (with drag radials and HLSD). I've got 5 years and almost 50,000 miles on the Fidanza flywheel with well over 100 passes. I didn't even replace the friction surface when I swapped the last clutch. I just cleaned it up some.

The 350Z/Fidanza setup has been durable for me and others. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Unklejoe
Correct.

350z Clutch.
Maxima throw out bearing.
Fidanza Flywheel.
do i get a maxima Fidanza flywheel or a 350z flywheel?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:42 PM

did u locktite the flywheel bolts...their known to backout if you dont locktite them...happens to specvs also and mess up alot of things
Old 02-11-2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by maxima dude
did u locktite the flywheel bolts...their known to backout if you dont locktite them...happens to specvs also and mess up alot of things
I didn't install it.. Not sure who did what. I just thought I'd warn people about the fact that it isn't always smooth.. They also had to grind down part of my bell housing because it was rubbing when it was installed. Someone else here had a similar problem. that resulted in nearly a double install charge.

I do figure my 2002 Maxima may be replaced with a 2010 Altima Coupe 6MT eventually. Nissan killed the manual in the Altima Sedan (2009) and the Maxima (2006). It's becoming impossible to get a reasonably sized well-powered manual car anymore. Everything is some small turd with a 4 cyl and no options unless you'll pay 40K+.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:02 PM

Are you using the original dual mass flywheel or did you get a new one?
Old 02-11-2010, 09:05 PM

Are you using the original dual mass flywheel or did you get a new one?
All new clutch disc, pressure plate, dual mass flywheel, and T/O. The dual-mass should never be resurfaced or re-used from my understanding.

The Fidanza sits in box in my garage. The bolts definitely seem to have pulled out, maybe someone could helicoil it or something. It doesn't look like the plate is significantly damaged, but could be replaced by undoing the bolts on the plate and putting in a new surface plate.

I don't have the clutch disc and pressure plate, so I 'm not sure what they looked like. The mech was convinced one way or another everything should be replaced. If it weren't a place I trust I'd feel differently, but they've always done right by me.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by i8nda1
do i get a maxima Fidanza flywheel or a 350z flywheel?
Get the Maxima Flywheel. The 350Z flywheel won't work. It's the same but the pickup for the crank position sensor is in a different place. Your car won't start with the 350Z flywheel.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:02 PM

All new clutch disc, pressure plate, dual mass flywheel, and T/O. The dual-mass should never be resurfaced or re-used from my understanding.

The Fidanza sits in box in my garage. The bolts definitely seem to have pulled out, maybe someone could helicoil it or something. It doesn't look like the plate is significantly damaged, but could be replaced by undoing the bolts on the plate and putting in a new surface plate.

I don't have the clutch disc and pressure plate, so I 'm not sure what they looked like. The mech was convinced one way or another everything should be replaced. If it weren't a place I trust I'd feel differently, but they've always done right by me.
That sucks. It really does sound like an install issue. I know you trust the place and it's not like there's a lot you can do about it but anyone can make a mistake.

I'm really surprised they took it all back apart to grind the housing down. That knocking sound goes away almost right away. It's just a few MM of soft aluminum. It sounds more like they forgot to torque the flywheel bolts and had to pull it back apart to do that. That could damage it enough to make it rough and shorten its life.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
I'm really surprised they took it all back apart to grind the housing down. That knocking sound goes away almost right away. It's just a few MM of soft aluminum. It sounds more like they forgot to torque the flywheel bolts and had to pull it back apart to do that. That could damage it enough to make it rough and shorten its life.
Yeah I think they just had expectations for it to go together flawless and not make any noise. But good things for people to know if they're going to dive into it.

They did my Nissan truck too, but that was all OE stuff. It went together fine. That truck has had a rough life.

S'all good.. Hopefully I'll be in a position to replace the Maxima at some point.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:51 AM

Sorry if this is OT, but how much did the new dual mass flywheel run you?
Old 02-12-2010, 09:35 AM

Sorry if this is OT, but how much did the new dual mass flywheel run you?
400-ish I believe.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:56 AM

Guys,

I have an 02 max with a bad clutch. I am looking to do the clutch soon and was wondering what parts to get.

I read on here that the 350Z clutch works.

Is this what is recommended?
350Z Clutch
350Z Pressure Plate
Maxima Throw Out bearing
Resurface the original flywheel

Thanks,

Rocky
Old 03-05-2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by roc1479
Guys,

I have an 02 max with a bad clutch. I am looking to do the clutch soon and was wondering what parts to get.

I read on here that the 350Z clutch works.

Is this what is recommended?
350Z Clutch
350Z Pressure Plate
Maxima Throw Out bearing
You're right up to this point.

Resurface the original flywheel
You should never resurface the dual-mass flywheel. Either replace it with an aftermarket or with the same item.

Don't get me wrong, people have done it, but you're not supposed to do it and you will lose any money saved if it has to be torn down again or things get wrecked.

Dual Mass was about 500-550 bucks, I think the Fidanza was about 100$ less.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:03 AM

Dual Mass was about 500-550 bucks, I think the Fidanza was about 100$ less.
To add clarity, this should be a Maxima flywheel.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by 2slow
To add clarity, this should be a Maxima flywheel.
Correct and definitely good to clarify. Maxima TO bearing, Maxima Flywheel, 350Z Disc and Pressure Plate.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:10 AM

What's the possibility of reusing the flywheel?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by roc1479
What's the possibility of reusing the flywheel?
I'd say 0. Any smart place is going to tell you they're not going to resurface it. The same is true for any dual-mass flywheel on other vehicles like GM, Porsche, BMW, etc.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:19 AM

Thank you very much guys.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

6spd conversion

trying to do a 6spd conversion in a 01 max anyone have the info on this and what parts i need to do it. I have the trans, starter and axles also the shift box and cable what else do i need and can i use the 350z clutch thanks
Old 12-09-2010, 12:15 PM

I looked around and couldn't find this answer:

Are there any particular model years you need for the 350z clutch?
Old 03-22-2011, 03:36 AM

Does the Exedy 03-06 350z oem clutch fit for the 5.5 gen? I found one for $280. Do you guys recommend it or should I just get it from Courtesy?
Old 03-25-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by ljAiz
Does the Exedy 03-06 350z oem clutch fit for the 5.5 gen? I found one for $280. Do you guys recommend it or should I just get it from Courtesy?
Thanks for bumping an old thread so I didnt have to do it. while it is bumped...

I have searched and looked in stickys and it is very unclear what 350z clutch to use with the fadanza flywheel. I read of mixed reviews also.

I read some people having to shave some.

So is it the 350z or the 350z hr and is it any specific years?
Old 03-25-2011, 10:10 PM

Did you install the sprung 350z clutch on top of your sprung Dual mass flywheel?

Last edited by 02SE6MT; 03-25-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:20 PM

No didnt buy anything yet. Looking for an answer to the above.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:31 PM

ive heard pre-HR. i called Dave B, he knew about it and said there would be a bad noise for a few seconds. its just the pressure plate "making room". id go fidanza if your doin a z clutch

Last edited by 02SE6MT; 03-25-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:35 PM

I'm using a....

02-06 Maxima Fidanza FW
03-05 350z/G35 6MT Clutch Disc
02-03 Maxima Pressure Plate
02-03 Maxima TOB

Works well, just wish the pedal was stiffer, feels too stock for my liking, even though the clutch has quite a bit of bite in it even after a couple of hundred miles, the chatter went away but it's still plenty powerful.

Anywho... 02-06 Maxima Clutch Disc = Same surface area as 03-05 Z33, don't get any of that self adjusting clutch non-sense for your maxima, the disc should not be more than like $90

Last edited by aackshun; 03-25-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by DaBoxSE
i guess i was referring to the op but didnt realize the thread age, i was just thinkin that looks like a sprung disc on the factory sprung flywheel
Old 03-25-2011, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by 02SE6MT
i guess i was referring to the op but didnt realize the thread age, i was just thinkin that looks like a sprung disc on the factory sprung flywheel
Nissan likes their maximas to be smoooooov.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Nissan likes their maximas to be smoooooov.
wonder what would happen if you tried to slam gears in it, wonder if it would help wheel hop lol, extra smoooov
Old 03-26-2011, 03:19 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by 02SE6MT
It is.

The flywheel was resurfaced and it all managed to work with the new 350Z clutch. Dave B would be able to tell you which part # it is, but its overkill for a clutch setup on a mildly modded Maxima.

Back then we were not so sure if it would all work so it was an experiment to verify and that car kept on running for several years without a problem. That was until the oil burning issue got so bad we swapped in a newer VQ35 last year. The flywheel was replaced with a used OEM one and again it all worked out in the end.

Quick Reply: 350Z Clutch, 03 Tranny, Rear Main Seal...(Pics)