5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

350Z Clutch, 03 Tranny, Rear Main Seal...(Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 11:51 AM

350Z Clutch, 03 Tranny, Rear Main Seal...(Pics)

So my buddy and i did and overhaul last week on my car...I finally replaced my grinding transmission, rear main seal and replaced the Clutch. I wanted to put in something better than the stock maxima clutch because I thought it would be pretty weak. Also because I've had an Exedy Stage 1 in my 93 VE and loved it. As an alternative to the expensive Stage clutches for the 5.5 gen, I ordered a 350Z clutch from Dave B and prayed it would install no problem. Low and behold, it bolted right up. After putting the car back together, our first start caused a loud knocking sound...We couldn't explain it, because he had done a ton of other work to the car including removing the Upper oil pan to install the front and rear seals. The noise went away eventually and now it doesnt make a sound. Very strange.

I gotta say, the 350Z clutch is great! I love it. The pedal is much lighter in feel than the stock maxima clutch, and when engaging it bites, yet smoothly with almost no chatter. I didnt have to adjust the pedal or anything. The engaging spot is right in the lower middle. The car just feels like it grabs effortlessly and with the cleaned out oil pan, intake manifold and new iridium plugs, the car feels like new. I'm definitely impressed.

Stock on the Left and 350Z on right:

Friction Discs (notice how much heavier duty it is)

Pressure Plates (they weigh about the same too)

350Z Friction Disc

Pressure Plate Installed
Old 05-10-2007, 11:52 AM

"new" 03 6spd HLSD Transmission - Tried to get an 04, but none available in the time frame I needed it

"old" 02 6spd HLSD Transmission - Can you believe this thing was still drivable. (Yes thats a mix or gear fluid, motor oil and crap)

Rear Main Seal

Thanks to Dave B and Joe for all their help.

-Clark
Old 05-10-2007, 11:58 AM

Good to know that the 350Z clutch will bolt up with no problems!
Old 05-10-2007, 02:42 PM
The original VQ...

WOW i wish i new this 3 weeks ago, i just did a clutch job..... shoulda gotten the 350z one

btw your tranny looked bad, how many miles u got?
Old 05-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

which gears grinded and what was the mileage? When you mean "new" 03 tranny you mean to say you got it from Nissan ?
Old 05-10-2007, 04:59 PM

nice work joe. sorry i couldnt make it
Old 05-10-2007, 06:45 PM

Great, glad it worked out so well. I just got mine in the mail. The PP weighs only 3.5oz more than the stock.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:52 PM
The original VQ...

btw, how much was the 350z kit?
Old 05-10-2007, 07:32 PM

This is tranny #3 in this car. The first one was replaced by Nissan for the 3rd gear crungch at around 54k miles with a brand new one. I have 128k on it now, so the second one had 72k on it. I was still driving, but 1st and 2nd gear were very loud. When we took it out the input shaft was very loose and you can hear pieces rolling around inside when you turn it. The tranny I just put in was used and has about 60k on it. Not exactly what I wanted to put in, but it was the best one I could find in the area for $650.

Give Dave B a call regarding pricing on the clutch. Lets just say its worth it!

Zack I was hoping you would stop by, gotta see the new ride too.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:33 PM

This is tranny #3 in this car. The first one was replaced by Nissan for the 3rd gear crungch at around 54k miles with a brand new one. I have 128k on it now, so the second one had 72k on it. I was still driving, but 1st and 2nd gear were very loud. When we took it out the input shaft was very loose and you can hear pieces rolling around inside when you turn it. The tranny I just put in was used and has about 60k on it. Not exactly what I wanted to put in, but it was the best one I could find in the area for $650.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:03 PM
retired moderator

wonder if it's the same for the 00-01 clutch...hmm....
Old 05-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Yeah that car was a mess, Im glad it ended up running ok in the end. The Z clutch is very light and feels nice.

Also replacing the rear main seal the right way takes alot longer but to see that engine perfectly dry is worth it. You just need a safe way to support the engine when the center crossmember is removed. Im lucky to have a cherry picker available to me.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:18 AM

I wish I knew this when I had to replace my clutch and flywheel 2,000 miles ago.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:09 PM

good to know. does anyone else get a moan/humming from the clutch when slowly engaging/holding rpm around 1500rpm?? man.. its annoying
Old 05-11-2007, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Barc
Good to know that the 350Z clutch will bolt up with no problems!
SR20DEN discovered this at least 2 years ago. The posts were out there the whole time.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:11 AM

From my understanding from talking to other members and friends that have owned maximas or have maximas that are stick shift or have the six speed i heard that shifting and clutching is very stiff on a maxima and members were saying if you can drive the maxima you can drive anything thats stick. now my question is will the 350z clutch and tranny take away that stiffness in the clutch and shifter.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by nismology
SR20DEN discovered this at least 2 years ago. The posts were out there the whole time.
I must've forgotten that or not read it at the time. Oh well. Sounded like the OP didn't know 100% that it would bolt up, either. At least this isn't another pointless gas mileage or intake thread. And, from the looks of it, not everyone posting knew it would work, either! lol
Old 05-12-2007, 07:41 AM
You embarrass me.

Originally Posted by STILLENGLE
From my understanding from talking to other members and friends that have owned maximas or have maximas that are stick shift or have the six speed i heard that shifting and clutching is very stiff on a maxima and members were saying if you can drive the maxima you can drive anything thats stick. now my question is will the 350z clutch and tranny take away that stiffness in the clutch and shifter.
Definitely not. The 6-speed maxima has one of the lightest clutches I've ever driven. Try driving a Spec-V and their clutch is pretty stiff and short. Have not driven a manual 350Z yet however, so I could not compare those two.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:01 AM

ok thats good to know maybe i will try the spec-v if i remember correctly it was sooner that was telling me about the clutch in the maximas.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:57 AM

To the OP:

Did you use the standard or self-adjusting combo?
Old 05-12-2007, 11:42 AM

He used the self-adjusting one. The SA 350Z clutch has a much higher clamping force than the previous clutch (2200 lbs!), and some pretty funky spring arrangements- The question was whether or not IT would work, it was well known that the earlier 350 clutch would.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by DAVEB
He used the self-adjusting one. The SA 350Z clutch has a much higher clamping force than the previous clutch (2200 lbs!), and some pretty funky spring arrangements- The question was whether or not IT would work, it was well known that the earlier 350 clutch would.
Ahhhhh, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:48 PM
CAN YOU PUT IT ON THE WALL?

from the looks of this "stock 350z" clutch, it looks like the JWT stg 2 i picked up 2yrs ago when mine first went out...the pressure plate looks a bit different, but the clutch disk looks exactly the same. look at the pics on my cardomain site and you can see the similarity. I am also on #3. first at 41k and the replacement nissan gave me just went out at 98k so I've now got the 04 HLSD tranny and the 04 350z clutch coming. Should be in by Wed and I will post the feedback on the compairison of the jwt and the stock 350z... My JWt is much stiffer than the stock clutch...way stiff, so that makes me think that the pp makes the difference.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/334291/5
Old 05-12-2007, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by DaBoxSE

Next time there is a meet or something I will come out.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:06 PM

Hey man, give me a call whan you get a chance. I meant to keep your # but I use my phone so much for work I lost it.

Derrick
Old 05-22-2007, 03:36 PM

Which throwout bearing was used?
Old 05-22-2007, 04:11 PM

Used the Maxima throwout bearing...I believe the two are very similar. Especially since we are using a Maxima tranny.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:34 AM

Just wanted to update... I just drove to NY this weekend, I filled up before i left and set the trip odo. On the way down I didnt really stay conservative on gas mileage, with just a couple WOTs and since I was on a curvy road most of the way a lot of slowing down and accelerating. My cousin gave it a spin while I was down there and def used up some gas haha. I was conservative on the way back though. I got an unprecedented 430 Miles on that one tank of gas! I have never before had such great gas mileage and on top of that, My SES light is still on with a O2 sensor code. I'm thinking its from when joe cleaned the IM and the Iridium plugs. Thats almost 100 miles more than my average which is still mostly highway miles. I'm wondering how much better it would have been if I was more conservative the whole time.

Also, just a observation with a lot of people removing the shifter linkages when doing the tranny swap. IWNTMRHP, it looks like you removed the cables from the bracket which looks like how it broke. When I did this job, I didnt remove the cables, I just removed the whole bracket and moved it out of the way as best I could. There were some times when it was a little bit of a pain, but at least it didnt break.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:15 PM

I'm just curious why install the 350z clutch? The Maxima has a dual mass flywheel and uses a unsprung clutch from factory. Did you install an after market flywheel? Now you have a sprung flywheel and a sprung clutch and sprung pressure plate. I bet it shifts really smoothly. But it must weigh allot more than stock maxima or 350z for that matter.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:59 PM

Dave said it best.
Originally Posted by DAVEB
The Maxima clutch was really flimsy looking and feeling. I wanted to do something similar to a stage I clutch like the Exedy one. I had it in my 93 SE back in the day. The 350z clamping power is that of the Stage I Exedy and costs less. Yes both the flywheel and the pp are sprung which makes engaging extremely smooth when normal driving, but hits hard when making quick shifts.

I weighed both PPs and the 350z PP is possibly only ounces heavier than the Maxima pp. It looks heavier, but its really not. The friction disc is slightly heavier though, but as you can see by the pics its stronger than the factory one.

I can't be happier with how the swap turned out. I drove my buddy's Stock 02 6spd (with only 30k on it) and his clutch was a workout to push in and didnt have the same bite as mine does. Smooth, but too hard for what it is.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:19 PM

anyone have the exedy stage 1 organic clutch?
Old 06-15-2007, 07:42 PM
CAN YOU PUT IT ON THE WALL?

Also, just a observation with a lot of people removing the shifter linkages when doing the tranny swap. IWNTMRHP, it looks like you removed the cables from the bracket which looks like how it broke. When I did this job, I didnt remove the cables, I just removed the whole bracket and moved it out of the way as best I could. There were some times when it was a little bit of a pain, but at least it didnt break.
I broke that a while ago...it had nothing to do with the swap. I was gettin on it going from 1st to 2nd and it just snapped...that was the original design which Nissan really didn't put much thought into. It has a design flaw that makes it very flimsy and a lot of stress is exerted to a very weak un reinforced area of the bracket. I replaced it with one off of an 04 and it was designed much better.

as for the swap...I am very very happy. I have put on almost 3k since it was done and I am pleased with the engagement and the smooth shifts. That is the most noticable part for me. The pedal feel is much different than the JWT stg 2. That clutch/PP was made for someone with big legs! This one is like a stock civic! As for bite...if you come off quick, it really bites, but its not jerky. It is also not a clutch you ease off of. You must be deliberate and quickly but smoothly engage. If you try to be slow and smooth, it will slip a bit. Over all, it is much easier to drive than either the factory clutch setup or the JWT Stg 2. I have contemplated dropping it again and replacing the PP with the JWT to see how that feels. I like a stiff pedal and that is the only thing that is still weird...it is almost easier to push than the gas pedal!

Bottom Line...like Bo Jackson and Nike...JUST DO IT!
Old 09-08-2007, 04:07 PM

thinking about doing this next clutch job..

what is the average cost going to be.. minus labor

so just parts wise? thanks in advance
Old 09-08-2007, 09:41 PM

Whats up guys im new here. i just bought a 01 SE, does the 04 HLSD tranny bolt directly to all 5th gen maximas or just 6 speed?
Old 09-10-2007, 08:28 AM

Does anyone know if 350z clutch will fit on 00-01 Maxima?

Thanks
Old 09-14-2007, 09:10 AM
Banned

"old" 02 6spd HLSD Transmission - Can you believe this thing was still drivable. (Yes thats a mix or gear fluid, motor oil and crap)

-Clark

that really isn't that dirty i'v seen much worse. grats on the new stuff. why did you need to chance trannies?
Old 09-16-2007, 02:10 PM

It's nice that this problem has come up recently since my clutch will slip up to 5000-6000 rpm on a flat foot to the gas pedal before it'll engage properly. At 93,000 miles and first clutch, it's about that time.

Can someone help me as to what I should get to do this with my 2002 with the 2002 transmission? (it isn't LSD). I just wanted to hand a box of stuff to the mech and make it happen. I could do it myself but winter weather will be coming before I'd even have the time.

I'd add the HLSD if it were something they could put in at the same time, but by the looks of it I would have to replace the whole transmission. There's nothing wrong with my tranny, so it's not really worth it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:23 PM
--+--

Old thread bump I know, but why make a new one? OK i have a question regarding the 350z clutch. According to IWNTMORHP and Daboxse the sprung 350z clutch disk and stock dual mass flywheel work fine. But I have found most of derrick2k2se's posts concerning this issue say that a sprung clutch without a solid flywheel is a no-no. What gives?
Old 01-11-2008, 05:30 AM

I had a clutchmaster stage 3 with sprung disk before the 350Z clutch. It didn't chatter with the Fidanza but I had to put the stock flywheel back in for a little while. That combination chattered a lot. When I went back to the Fidanza the chatter stopped.

I have heard of people using the 350Z clutch with no problems. In fact I haven't heard of anyone having any chatter from that combo.

I think my problems might have been that particular combo.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:13 AM

The dual mass flywheel can't be re-machined (somewhere MAY do it, but that doesn't mean you should, Nissan said you shouldn't), so I bought the Fidanza anyway. I've heard plenty of stories of the dual-mass being garbage though with the 350Z plate and disc and other aftermarket clutches.

I have no regrets to buying the Fidanza. Instead of sending it out to machine, I can just get a new face for it for 60 bucks in the future. So for the most part it's a one-off for me. Paying for the labor again for someone to break it down to replace the flywheel would've been worse.

However, word to the wise, there's always the possibility you may have a massive amount of noise when the clutch first goes in. The easiest solution was for the tech to dremel out the place where it's contacting with the clutch and vibrating. Some people here have just driven it and it stopped making the noise eventually too (basically makes its own groove).

Other than that, I have no complaints really.

Quick Reply: 350Z Clutch, 03 Tranny, Rear Main Seal...(Pics)