5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

350Z Clutch, 03 Tranny, Rear Main Seal...(Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 05:03 AM

So I should the fidanza and throw out for the max clutch disc from the z and pressure plate from a max? Should I be reusing my pressure plate?
Old 03-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by NismoAce
So I should the fidanza and throw out for the max clutch disc from the z and pressure plate from a max? Should I be reusing my pressure plate?
I would use a one piece flywheel with a sprung clutch of some type. Those Nissan dual mass flywheels are heavy, but IMO you need some streetability with the sprung clutch. Search around and see what other people are using and what works with what you want to do with the car.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax
I would use a one piece flywheel with a sprung clutch of some type. Those Nissan dual mass flywheels are heavy, but IMO you need some streetability with the sprung clutch. Search around and see what other people are using and what works with what you want to do with the car.

Thank you I have read the same thing but I am not reading from above that he used the pressure plate from a max and clutch disc from a z. I wanna go with the fidanza flywheel and the 350z clutch but this is new to me about the pressure plate.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Thank you I have read the same thing but I am not reading from above that he used the pressure plate from a max and clutch disc from a z. I wanna go with the fidanza flywheel and the 350z clutch but this is new to me about the pressure plate.
OEM 2k2 Maxima dual mass flywheel, OEM 2k2 Maxima throw out bearing, and OEM 350Z Pressure plate and clutch. Call Dave B and he will get you the parts you need.

It will grind and make weird noises the first minute or so when its all put into the car. You could grind it before hand to prevent this but as far as what needs to be grinded off I am not sure, use search.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:27 AM

OEM 2k2 Maxima dual mass flywheel, OEM 2k2 Maxima throw out bearing, and OEM 350Z Pressure plate and clutch. Call Dave B and he will get you the parts you need.

It will grind and make weird noises the first minute or so when its all put into the car. You could grind it before hand to prevent this but as far as what needs to be grinded off I am not sure, use search.

Whats going on? I thought people were using the fidanza maxima wheel? Also I thought the dual mass flywheel with the sprung 350 clutch was a huge no no?
Old 03-26-2011, 11:50 AM

A picture is worth a thousand words, but here goes. If you look the first post, there is a side-by-side pic of his original maxima pressure plate with the new pressure plate, which is obviously different. Conclusion: the new pressure plate is for a Z.

There is also a side-by-side pic of his original maxima clutch disc with the new disc, which is obviously different. Conclusion: the new disc is also for a Z. I hope all of this is clear up to this point.

Now my advice, based on personal experience. Get the Fidanza flywheel, which is solid. If you do that, get the Z clutch disc, which is sprung. You will want some "give" somewhere in the system. As far as the pressure plate, it depends on your driving style. The Z pressure plate will have more clamp load. If you drive your car hard and/or plan on modding it, get the Z pressure plate.

If you are wanting to try to reuse your pressure plate in order to save money, and don't drive the car hard, then you could try sticking with the Maxima pressure plate. But if you have more than about 30-40K mi on your pressure plate, you probably should not be reusing it.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by 6spdmax
A picture is worth a thousand words, but here goes. If you look the first post, there is a side-by-side pic of his original maxima pressure plate with the new pressure plate, which is obviously different. Conclusion: the new pressure plate is for a Z.

There is also a side-by-side pic of his original maxima clutch disc with the new disc, which is obviously different. Conclusion: the new disc is also for a Z. I hope all of this is clear up to this point.

Now my advice, based on personal experience. Get the Fidanza flywheel, which is solid. If you do that, get the Z clutch disc, which is sprung. You will want some "give" somewhere in the system. As far as the pressure plate, it depends on your driving style. The Z pressure plate will have more clamp load. If you drive your car hard and/or plan on modding it, get the Z pressure plate.

If you are wanting to try to reuse your pressure plate in order to save money, and don't drive the car hard, then you could try sticking with the Maxima pressure plate. But if you have more than about 30-40K mi on your pressure plate, you probably should not be reusing it.

I understand all of this. I was simply pointing out previous post about someone saying to use the STOCKKK DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL AND A 350 SPRUNG CLUTCH. I have searched read the works about this and was unsure why he said to go that route. But thank you.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

I understand all of this. I was simply pointing out previous post about someone saying to use the STOCKKK DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL AND A 350 SPRUNG CLUTCH. I have searched read the works about this and was unsure why he said to go that route. But thank you.
I gave a list of parts for what WE used. I did not say it was the parts to use. It was 4 years ago and we took a chance with the parts my friend bought and it worked.

Go with the Fidenza or whatever you want to use.

Thats what I suggested earlier...

Last edited by 98SEBlackMax; 03-26-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by 6spdmax

IIRC my friend was going to buy a Fidanza flywheel but was too broke and so we had the dual mass flywheel resurfaced instead.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:13 PM

Thanks guys.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:32 PM

I bought a used 350z clutch today, but is an 2003. It looks different compare to the ones on the first page. I was wondering if anyone used the 2003 clutch with no problem. If so can i use my stock 2002 OEM flywheel? Maxima's flywheel and clutch is about 89k miles and 350z clutch is about 55k miles.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:52 PM

If you bothered to read the rest of that first page, you'd learn that the OP installed a later Z self-adjusting clutch. You bought one of the earlier 350 non-self-adjusting clutches that we already knew worked. This post, four years ago, confirmed that any of the 350Z clutches will work with our six-speed. Yes, you can use your stock, dual-mass flywheel with the 2003 clutch.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:17 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by ljAiz
I bought a used 350z clutch today, but is an 2003. It looks different compare to the ones on the first page. I was wondering if anyone used the 2003 clutch with no problem. If so can i use my stock 2002 OEM flywheel? Maxima's flywheel and clutch is about 89k miles and 350z clutch is about 55k miles....
Quick question. Why on earth would you choose to use used clutch components? This is a ridiculous idea based on the labor involved. Invest in new parts.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
Quick question. Why on earth would you choose to use used clutch components? This is a ridiculous idea based on the labor involved. Invest in new parts.
Come to think of it I don't even know why i decide to buy a used one, I can't say much about it since i already have it. I guess I will just ride this one till is out or should i even bother?

Last edited by ljAiz; 04-06-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:04 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by ljAiz
Come to think of it I don't even know why i decide to buy a used one, I can't say much about it since i already have it. I guess I will just ride this one till is out or should i even bother?
Is your current clutch slipping or failing in any way?
Old 04-07-2011, 10:36 AM

hey people

Is this combo OK ?

Stock 2k2 flywheel (untouched)
350Z disc
350Z Pressure plate
Maxima 2k2 throw out bearing

thanks
Old 04-07-2011, 10:40 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by mahanddeem
hey people

Is this combo OK ?

350Z disc
350Z Pressure plate

thanks
What does that mean, exactly?
Old 04-07-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Eirik
Yes, you can use your stock, dual-mass flywheel with the 2003 clutch.
Originally Posted by mahanddeem
hey people
Is this combo OK ?
350Z disc
350Z Pressure plate
thanks
you CAN use the stock flywheel with a sprung clutch, but personally i wouldnt, and i know a few more who disagree with it. Putting 2 different springs at different points to absorb the same energy is a bad concept and physics involving harmonic motion would verify that suggestion against using a sprung clutch disc and sprung flywheel.

Last edited by 02SE6MT; 04-07-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
Werd.

Two things I would never buy used: A clutch and brake pads.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:16 AM

Is the stock 5.5 gen clutch sprung? If so, I don't think the combo would hurt anything.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:02 AM

Is the stock 5.5 gen clutch sprung? If so, I don't think the combo would hurt anything.
No, the stock 5.5gen clutch is a non-sprung, solid disc. despite the pictures in the fsm.
oem looks like this :

Last edited by 02SE6MT; 04-08-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:12 AM

Like it was stated the stock maxima clutch is not sprung. I know also that the nismo clutch for the 350z is also not sprung.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:27 AM

I assume you've taken off your clutch and observed its unsprung nature? Courtesy's website shows a sprung clutch for the 5 and 6 speed Maximas, too. I'm finding it hard to believe they used an unsprung clutch for a street car.

*muses* So, for streetability with an increase in performance over the stock design, we'd recommend a self-adjusting 350Z sprung clutch (with plenty beefy springs, I'd assume) mated to a Fidanza etc. one-piece flywheel, that has been slightly buffed in certain points of contact to minimize chatter between the two.

Unless the only people getting chatter are using unsprung clutches--I don't recall.

Or you could buy a new OEM flywheel ($400) and new OEM clutch kit (~$250) and still be stunned at how much grippier it is than your 150K-miles-worn variant.

Last edited by Eirik; 04-09-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:26 AM

I assume you've taken off your clutch and observed its unsprung nature? Courtesy's website shows a sprung clutch for the 5 and 6 speed Maximas, too. I'm finding it hard to believe they used an unsprung clutch for a street car...
yes, i have laid eyes and hands upon it. i promise its not sprung
Old 04-11-2011, 11:27 AM

350Z sprung clutch (with plenty beefy springs, I'd assume) mated to a Fidanza etc. one-piece flywheel
Old 04-11-2011, 01:37 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

I assume you've taken off your clutch and observed its unsprung nature? Courtesy's website shows a sprung clutch for the 5 and 6 speed Maximas, too. I'm finding it hard to believe they used an unsprung clutch for a street car....
Parts catalogs give 'representations' of the part not exact photos. 6spd uses a dual mass flywheel. No need for a sprung disc. Actually, a sprung disc w/ the DMF would probably yield poor resonance qualities.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:31 PM

Nelledge: Well, yeah, but I assumed Courtesy was using actual shots because... Yep. My reasoning doesn't seem very sound if I say it out loud. Bah.

Poor resonance, meaning the two pieces of metal resonate in a... dissonant way? I don't know what resonance means, concerning clutches, and can't help but bring it into a sound-inclined definition. This alludes to 02SE's quip up there about differing spring rates complicating the sin waves, yeah?

So, 02/Nelledge, most manufacturers use a sprung clutch with a single-mass flywheel, but Nissan went with a dual-mass flywheel on an unsprung clutch for the 5.5 gen. Any idea on why that route? Is the unsprung clutch + DMF smoother/more daily driven oriented than the sprung clutch and SMF? My mother-in-law complains that she gets sick riding in my father-in-law's '02 Camry with a 5-speed, but she thought the Maxima's 6-speed (after asking "What do you use six gears for??" at least three times) was much smoother and didn't bother her motion sickness when I let him drive it up to Cincinnati once (and nearly ruined my 4th gear... but that's a complaint for another day). Or is it more a factor of the VQ35 putting out so much power, it's okay for it to use a heavier flywheel and grippier clutch than a Honda K-whatever engine putting out 120HP that needs every advantage it can to simulate real power, but can't have a chattery, snappy SMF+unsprung clutch that would be off-putting to the typical consumer.

It's fascinating how one can educate himself on a thousand different car things, but there is always some other facet that he's totally ignorant in.

Last edited by Eirik; 04-11-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

02se and I just put a Fidanza Flywheel, z33-350z clutch and pressure plate, and maxima throwout bearing in my 02max . Besides the Fidanza, All was ordered from Courtesy Nissan(great service but a little slow on shipping) for under $900. LOVE the set up and had No problems.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by TX02SE6spd
02se and I just put a Fidanza Flywheel, z33-350z clutch and pressure plate, and maxima throwout bearing in my 02max . Besides the Fidanza, All was ordered from Courtesy Nissan(great service but a little slow on shipping) for under $900. LOVE the set up and had No problems.
You paid almost $900 for a clutch,Pressure plate and throw out bearing?
Old 05-15-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by dnice02
You paid almost $900 for a clutch,Pressure plate and throw out bearing?
thats including the $500.00 fidanza
Old 06-05-2011, 01:01 AM

I use the stock flywheel with 350Z clutch and PP...better than stock.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:08 AM

Maybe I'm wrong but I am under the impression that the Z33 and A33 PP has the same clamping force....

That Z33 disc is a different story though.... Chirpin 4th ftw.

Also for me, 500+45+80+15 = Fiddy LW FW, Brand New OEM A33 PP, Brand new Z33 Clutch disc, brand new TOB.... $900 sounds ridiculous to me....

Of course I shopped around for months for this stuff, wasn't in much of a hurry, had the 6mt lying around since July lol, didn't get to putting it until Jan.

FYI stock z33 flywheels are also Dual Mass too... and their stock disc are sprung, don't know what this stuff is about not having a sprung disc and what not....

Another local fwd 6mt'er has the stock DMF and a sprung Z33 disc, no problems either!

Last edited by aackshun; 06-05-2011 at 01:17 AM.