5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

problems with stock headunit on 02

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 06:45 PM
is craving Bojangles

problems with stock headunit on 02

so my friend is looking into buying an 02 se and everything is looking great and there are no problems except for the head unit. he was explaining to me that the display was reading telephone (i assume for the bluetooth? i have a 4th gen so this is foreign to me) and if you try to press the am/fm button or cd button it won't change. also, you can roll the volume up or down and you see the numbers change but there is no audio. and you can load and eject a cd but it won't play.

so there are the symptoms, what do yall think the problem might be. he's holding off on the car because electrical problems can be a b!tch and he obviously doesn't want to buy a car that he already knows is broken.

any help?
Old 05-13-2007, 07:19 PM

If everything else checks out ok (you are sure the problems are limited to the HU), I might still buy the car, especially if it's a 6MT!!, and just replace the POS headunit with an aftermarket system.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:03 AM

I'm the one looking at the car (just not enough posts to start a thread). I really want the car and was hoping that the problems were only limited to the HU like you said JROD. That way I could hopefully shave a couple hundred off the total price. The dealer kept saying something about there being a 'mute' button, but my Dad and I were pretty confident that's not the case. Anyone else had this problem?
Old 05-14-2007, 06:10 AM
Cletus

there is no mute button
the stock HU does have problems.

when i bought my 00, the HU was messed up. some of the buttons didnt work and the CD player wouldnt take a CD. i made the dealership replace the HU.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:03 AM

Do you think this problem could be fixed buy replacing it with an after-market CD player? Seems to me since some features are working, a new CD player would work. I would rather save some money on the car overall if I could do this.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:30 AM

N/M - Just talked to the dealer and although he had told me he would call and let me know what was going on, he didn't of course. Just talked to him and he said it's at the dealership being fixed. Thanks for the input guys
Old 05-14-2007, 08:30 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by SHuggsUNC
Do you think this problem could be fixed buy replacing it with an after-market CD player? Seems to me since some features are working, a new CD player would work. I would rather save some money on the car overall if I could do this.
yes...the problem is in the actual HU. if you replace it, you correct the problem.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:48 AM

i think clarion needs to learn how to make a frekin cd player that works longer than a couple weeks....i had mine "fixed" under warranty and it came back 6 weeks later worse than it was when i sent it off...get an aftermarket...its well worth it.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by andyslone
i think clarion needs to learn how to make a frekin cd player that works longer than a couple weeks....i had mine "fixed" under warranty and it came back 6 weeks later worse than it was when i sent it off...get an aftermarket...its well worth it.
thank god i havent had a problem with mine but the sound quality isnt the best. the good bose speakers are wasted on a poor HU. the bose speakers with an after market HU sound so much better.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
thank god i havent had a problem with mine but the sound quality isnt the best. the good bose speakers are wasted on a poor HU. the bose speakers with an after market HU sound so much better.
i put in a sony HU at the quality is a ton better...mainly cause this HU has a broader EQ control so you can make finer adjustments, now to fix that awful rear deck rattle...
Old 05-14-2007, 12:15 PM

Just got a call from the dealer saying they weren't going to replace the HU, but lower the total cost of the car. I'm going to definitely put in an after-market HU instead of replacing the stock. Very excited..bout to have my first Max - Thanks for the help guys
Old 05-14-2007, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by dawalkster
so my friend is looking into buying an 02 se and everything is looking great and there are no problems except for the head unit. he was explaining to me that the display was reading telephone (i assume for the bluetooth? i have a 4th gen so this is foreign to me) and if you try to press the am/fm button or cd button it won't change. also, you can roll the volume up or down and you see the numbers change but there is no audio. and you can load and eject a cd but it won't play.

so there are the symptoms, what do yall think the problem might be. he's holding off on the car because electrical problems can be a b!tch and he obviously doesn't want to buy a car that he already knows is broken.

any help?
are you sure you dont have your phone on bluetooth also i dont think the 02-03 came with a bluetooth compatiable head unit.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:20 PM

Apparently the previous owner had somehow tried to use his phone through the car speakers (I don't know how this works since I'm just now buying the car) and he created some problems. I do understand that it's not bluetooth compatible..