5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Question for those who got new 3.5L engines from Nissan under warranty...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 09:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Question for those who got new 3.5L engines from Nissan under warranty...

again

1- How are you liking it and how long has it been since you have had the new engine? How's the oil holding up?

2- I know a new warranty has to come with the new engine but what were the terms of the warranty?

3- Is the engine really "new" or remanufactured? By new I mean are these the same engines found in the 07 maximas? If so, does this change the HP?

4- How long was the break-in period? I did a search and one poster said the first oil change should be done at 3750miles. Was the car driven gently?

5- Did you start using synthetic immediately or did you stick to conventional dino oil?
Old 05-16-2007, 05:29 PM

anyone please??
Old 05-16-2007, 05:50 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by SLVRMAXX
3- Is the engine really "new" or remanufactured? By new I mean are these the same engines found in the 07 maximas? If so, does this change the HP?
Probably re manufactured. It's definitely not the new version.

How's the oil holding up?
My guess is that they would have posted if it wasn't doing well.

If I were you, I'd research all the oil burning threads and PM whoever has had their engine replaced.

4- How long was the break-in period? I did a search and one poster said the first oil change should be done at 3750miles. Was the car driven gently?
I would ask whoever I bought the engine from.

Originally Posted by SLVRMAXX
2- I know a new warranty has to come with the new engine but what were the terms of the warranty?
It probably varies from palce to place/dealership to dealership.

Call your local dealership adn ask them these questions.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:22 PM

I may be getting a new engine so I just wanted to put it out there. Is a remanufactured engine a bad thing? Its basically a 2003 engine with improved rings?
Old 05-16-2007, 06:24 PM
dot dot dot ...

Its basically a 2003 engine with improved rings?
Difficult to answer definitively. But my guess would be that they corrected whatever is wrong with it, i.e. rings.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:15 AM
Toolie

1. My engine was replaced about 4000km ago.

2. I forgot to ask if there is a warranty with the new engine.

3. On the outside everything looks nice and shiny. I'm assuming they have a number of vq35 engines for service parts. I've worked in auto mfg for 20 years now and all companies request what they call service parts years after a production run has ended. They wouldn't make much money if they couldn't replace anything after a few years.
3a. The new engine won't change the horsepower because they strip your old engine and reuse a lot of parts. So pulleys, water pump, oil pump intake and exhaust etc. You basically get a new block. I'm pretty sure the main reason the newer vq's make more horsepower is due to intake and exhaust differences.

4. I was told I didn't have to break the engine in. It was already done. I didn't believe it so I treated it like a new car. took it easy for 2000 km, I didn't drive it like grandma, I did make sure though that I went thru the entire rpm range at least once a day.
My only complaint about the swap is they didn't connect the alternator harness correctly which was causing some lights to flash on the dashboard. The ebrake and battery light were flashing at me more and more each day.

5. I haven't had my first oil change. Doing that next week. Not sure if I am switching to synthetic or not. I might try the german castrol synthetic. I'll ask the dealer when the time comes.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:20 AM
Toolie

I thought I read someone on the org got warranty engine swap and then started burning oil a second time? So I'm not sure if they corrected the problem or not.