5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ECM Reprogram and odd noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2001, 12:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

After trying to install my JWT pop charger unsuccessfully, I put everything back to stock. I noticed a hissing noise (kinda sounds like a vacuum leak) whenever I blipped the throttle. See original post here http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=51871

I took my car in today, and the dealer couldn't find anything wrong. They called the Nissan Support line and were told that they have had several cases of this on 5 speeds after the ECM was reprogrammed (mine was done two weeks ago). Nissan states that this is a normal noise and will not do any damage to the car.

So it appears that this has been happening since I got the ECM fixed, but I just didn't notice it. It's not that loud, and the only reason I noticed it was because my hood was up. When it's closed, without the radio on, it's barely noticeable. With the radio on quietly, it can't be heard at all.

Has anyone experienced this or have any input. Thanks MS
Old 07-13-2001, 03:29 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by MS 2K1 AE
After trying to install my JWT pop charger unsuccessfully, I put everything back to stock. I noticed a hissing noise (kinda sounds like a vacuum leak) whenever I blipped the throttle. See original post here http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=51871

I took my car in today, and the dealer couldn't find anything wrong. They called the Nissan Support line and were told that they have had several cases of this on 5 speeds after the ECM was reprogrammed (mine was done two weeks ago). Nissan states that this is a normal noise and will not do any damage to the car.

So it appears that this has been happening since I got the ECM fixed, but I just didn't notice it. It's not that loud, and the only reason I noticed it was because my hood was up. When it's closed, without the radio on, it's barely noticeable. With the radio on quietly, it can't be heard at all.

Has anyone experienced this or have any input. Thanks MS
Did you notice ANYTHING else from the ECU reprogramming? Low speed lurching? Cruising cut/surging? Ability to hold 2500 rpms, then drop down slowly to idle? Any good or bad? I'm considering having it done on my first service.
Old 07-15-2001, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Did you notice ANYTHING else from the ECU reprogramming? Low speed lurching? Cruising cut/surging? Ability to hold 2500 rpms, then drop down slowly to idle? Any good or bad? I'm considering having it done on my first service.
Ice-

The reprogram helps, but as you can see, it's not perfect. There were two major improvements...1) I can hold any RPM now...it's still kind of touchy, and you really have to feather the gas, but you can hold a given RPM for a good launch. 2) During freeway cruising, the lurching in 4th and 5th gear at 60-90mph is gone. I drive @ 30K miles per year, mostly highway, so this was important to me.

The drawbacks are this wierd noise and the fact that in 1st-2nd gear around 1500-3000 RPMs, the lurching is still there...I will say that it is improved however.

I would get the reprogram done, hopefuuly you won't have the noise. I also hope Nissan continues to work on an updated reprogram and that someone on the board hears about it and lets us know.
Old 07-15-2001, 09:59 PM

Ice-

The reprogram helps, but as you can see, it's not perfect. There were two major improvements...1) I can hold any RPM now...it's still kind of touchy, and you really have to feather the gas, but you can hold a given RPM for a good launch. 2) During freeway cruising, the lurching in 4th and 5th gear at 60-90mph is gone. I drive @ 30K miles per year, mostly highway, so this was important to me.

The drawbacks are this wierd noise and the fact that in 1st-2nd gear around 1500-3000 RPMs, the lurching is still there...I will say that it is improved however.

I would get the reprogram done, hopefuuly you won't have the noise. I also hope Nissan continues to work on an updated reprogram and that someone on the board hears about it and lets us know.
Does this reprogramming help automagics in any way? Is this reprogramming covered under the 5yr/60k mile warranty?
Old 07-16-2001, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by Menacer

Does this reprogramming help automagics in any way? Is this reprogramming covered under the 5yr/60k mile warranty?
Menacer-

The reprogram is covered under warranty, but only affects 5 speeds...not the magics
Old 07-16-2001, 12:07 PM

Ice-

Thanks. How did you inform the "service" guy that you needed it? Did you use the TSB number off this site?

Did the reprogram improve the lurching in 3rd and 4th around town at 40-55 mph? This is where it is really bad for me. I can tolerated it everywhere else, it's just the cruising in traffic lurching I'm really interested in eliminating.
Old 07-16-2001, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Thanks. How did you inform the "service" guy that you needed it? Did you use the TSB number off this site?

Did the reprogram improve the lurching in 3rd and 4th around town at 40-55 mph? This is where it is really bad for me. I can tolerated it everywhere else, it's just the cruising in traffic lurching I'm really interested in eliminating.
Ice-

I brought a copy of the TSB from the Sticky threads to the dealer. He copied the number and had no trouble finding the correct info. Now that you mention it, I haven't noticed anything in 3rd-4th. It may still be there, but I can't be certain since I am usually on the highway.
Old 07-16-2001, 03:08 PM

Menacer-

The reprogram is covered under warranty, but only affects 5 speeds...not the magics
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.
Old 07-16-2001, 05:25 PM

Ice-

I brought a copy of the TSB from the Sticky threads to the dealer. He copied the number and had no trouble finding the correct info. Now that you mention it, I haven't noticed anything in 3rd-4th. It may still be there, but I can't be certain since I am usually on the highway.
Thanks for the help. Keep me posted if you determine anything else good/bad from the reprogram. Thanks!