5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Do you Use/Endorse ring sealer products?
Yes!
0%
No.
23.75%
...what?
23.75%
I Don't Burn Oil.
52.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Anyone Try Any Ring Seal products?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Nightmare = Reality

Anyone Try Any Ring Seal products?

I took note of some ring sealer products when i was at the local autozone buying some stuff, and I'm wondering if anyone's tried any of it, like MotorHoney, Ring Sealer, or anything of the sort? What were the results?
Old 05-22-2007, 07:11 PM

I voted No. However, I've used them many times before with good results. I don't recommend putting them in our modern engines.

If you have an old car that you're just trying to milk a few more thousand miles out of, it'll help. They will increase compression, but not for long and is not a fix by any means. Products like that are generally considered "snake oil", but some actually work, but none will fix any problems. At best they are a band-aid for something major.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Banned

Don't try it in the VQ. If you do, you'll clog up sensors in your valve train and, if you don't do any permanent damage, you'll at least need to get a good oil flush. I tried everything before I repaced my engine.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I bought Rislone Ring Seal but never ended up using it since I got my engine replaced under warranty. I knew it wouldnt work but I still bought it..its a band-aid fix
Old 05-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Nightmare = Reality

Well, Here's the deal. I have 126k on my car and I recently got an AMSoil change and filter. I drove a good +800mi maybe more, and now the lifters are loud again. I dumped in a quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer while idling to no relief from the sound of clicking lifters. I'm genuinely concerned because I have no more warranty, no spare car, a YEAR left to pay on it, and not enough spare income for a rebuild with better rings. I could:
a)run MUCH THICKER oil through it.
b)just keep on driving it and adding a little here and there, hoping I don't screw myself along the way.
c)dump the car while it still has significant value and replace it.
d)Try the snake oil.
e)beg my wife for the funds to exact a pre-emptive rebuild before it's too late.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:01 PM

a rebuild will cost you A LOT of money...the rings itself are not expensive, maybe $150-200 but the labor will kill you. You are better off finding a used engine with low miles.

As for thicker oil, 10w-40?
Old 05-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Nightmare = Reality

well, I have experienced a used engine swap in an old lumina i used to own, and I've personally driven this car and this engine nearly every single mile it has on it. after remembering that there's absolutely nothing wrong with the engine other than oil burning, I'd prefer to have some good mechanics i've dealt with put some nice, tasty, cryogenically treated rings into my engine over a swap...that is, of course, unless I can get the VQ35HR with maybe an altima SE-R tranny to go in

as for Oil, I believe AMSoil makes this killer synthetic 20w-50 racing oil...
Old 05-22-2007, 09:14 PM

Of all of the "snake oil" products, Lucas Oil Stabilizer is the WORST. Especially if you have loud lifters. It's been proven to get slightly foamy with air bubbles. It did reduce an oil leak I had in my turbo minivan though

Try Restore if you're gonna try any of them. Although the old DSM trick of using ATF fluid could help quite a bit. Seafoam is a favorite on these boards as well.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:11 PM
Nightmare = Reality

I've heard a few bad things about Seafoam here and there in this forum, while you're the first person I've seen say anything bad about Lucas. For years I had seen them on the sides of racecars, but i never heard any other advertisements. One day I go into the autozone and they have the little gear display setup. It seemed like it worked really well to me.

on and off i kept running into those little displays, and I was helping out a friend with a pickup that had a hole in the oil pan. to keep it alive in the mean-time, I was constantly oiling it with the cheapest 30w-40w i could find, and whenever i parked it started using the stuff. well, long story short, the guy was a real idiot and let it keep running a few times after the oil was already gone. that truck kept running very well for several hundred miles with no oil (I woulda beat him silly but I wasn't there) and i firmly believe that the stabilizer kept the parts lubricated for much longer than they should have been. Not saying this stuff doesn't help/hurt with oil burning, but based on personal observation, I feel it is a prudent and valid additive.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:03 AM
Nightmare = Reality

Update:
well, a trip to bobistheoilguy gave me some more info. While it shows that the Lucas stuff isn't much of an additive when it comes to things like cleaning an engine or adding protection, it seems to be fine and designed more for the purpose i was actually using it for. I looked at the VOAs for the Virgin lucas, so I'm not going to debate anything with you. It looks like just about the only thing i can do is significantly increase the viscosity for now anyway...
Old 05-23-2007, 12:56 AM

here's some info on oil and additives
http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

http://www.carbibles.com/additives.html
Old 05-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Thinks he is fast

That website has a plethora of valuable information on motor oil.
Also check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com
Old 05-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Nightmare = Reality

Originally Posted by maxspeedse02
That website has a plethora of valuable information on motor oil.
Also check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com
maxspeedse02 fails at reading previous posts.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:11 PM

I dont know about you guys, but I'm going to do that magnet thing with the oil pan, or get a FilterMag they sell. I just hope I remember NOT to use a ferrous magnet....
Old 05-24-2007, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by bwinter7
I dont know about you guys, but I'm going to do that magnet thing with the oil pan, or get a FilterMag they sell. I just hope I remember NOT to use a ferrous magnet....
That is an uncool sig pic
Old 05-24-2007, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by 95bluse
That is an uncool sig pic
I know, I saw it yesterday, I'm looking for something better. It's kinda funny though...
Old 05-24-2007, 01:55 PM

My suggestion is to get away from Synthetic motor oil and go to straight dead dino, in a heavier weight, 20W-50. What's the worse that can happen, you burn through it and foul the spark plugs.

I have never been a fan of synthetic oil and don't run it in any of my five vehicles. It's more expensive and it is definitely thinner, which can lead to oil blow by and leaks in older engine seals. Go with a good racing oil in a heavier weight, like Castrol GTX 20W-50 and see if you can at least slow down the oil consumption.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by bwinter7
what's wrong with an iron magnet? who uses the term ferrous except scientific ppls!!!???? i still remember though=)

but back to the subject, i say beg your wife for money for the rebuild
everything else u do is not going to fix it, and since u have high miles, to sell it is a disadvantage. once the rebuild, you will be happy til you either destroy it or get a new car =)
Old 05-28-2007, 04:01 PM
is invisible

http://forums.maxima.org/forumdispla...aysprune=&f=70
Old 05-29-2007, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by getbigtony
what's wrong with an iron magnet? who uses the term ferrous except scientific ppls!!!???? i still remember though=)
Sorry, I will just remember to use a permanent magnet lol
Old 05-30-2007, 04:28 PM

You can never put metal back where it's supposed to be. Once your rings are worn out or your cylinder bore is scored that's the end of it. Thick oil will help but remember oil is designed of a certain viscosity by the manufacturor to go through galleys and jets to lubrificate other parts moving not just the rings. Once you go "too" thick then it's not getting proper lubrification. So more damage to camshafts, crank journals sprockets etc.