5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Wiring neon's to driver door lock??

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2001, 11:26 PM

I have a set of neons that I'd like to wire to the driver door lock so that when I unlock the car from a distance at night, the neon's come on. Anyone know how to do this? I think I might be able to hook it up to the door lock switch on the inside, but I don't want friends in the back playing with the locks to turn on the lights while I'm driving. There is an on/off switch that came with the lights, so I figured I'd hook that up in series with the "door lock switch." That was I can control the power to the driver's side door lock, and then control the on/off of the lights with the driver's door being unlocked. Thanks a lot for any help.

Dan
Old 07-14-2001, 01:19 AM

wire it to the dome light since that turns on when you unlock the car and turns off when you lock it but doesn't stay on while driving
Old 07-16-2001, 04:13 PM

Awesome! Why didn't I think of that? Oh well. Thanks for the help.

Dan

BTW, how can I wire it to that without having a wire running below the ceiling board. Is there a way to lift that or something so it's above it? thanks again
Old 07-16-2001, 06:12 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

What about wiring it in-place of the PANIC button!

I had an idea I haven't had a chance to look into yet, but I was going to attempt to use the wire that activates the horns when you hold the panic button, to activate the windows to all roll down. Great for leting heat out before you get to the car during the 120+ summertime.

Basically, wire the other windows to be activated with the AUTO drivers door switch and then connect the PANIC buttons' output lead to a relay and to the door switch.

Just an idea for replacing a WORTHLESS feature that's taking up a great location.

Maybe you could do something similar with the neons. Just wire the PANIC buttons' output lead to a relay and then every time you press the PANIC button the relay will open/close turning on or off the neons. Then you don't have to turn off the dome light everytime you want to sit with the neons on.

Anyone know where the PANIC buttons' output wire to the horns' relay is at? Finding it is probably the most difficult part besides disassembling and reassembling everything.
Old 07-16-2001, 11:47 PM

Re: What about wiring it in-place of the PANIC button!

Originally posted by IceY2K1
I had an idea I haven't had a chance to look into yet, but I was going to attempt to use the wire that activates the horns when you hold the panic button, to activate the windows to all roll down. Great for leting heat out before you get to the car during the 120+ summertime.

Basically, wire the other windows to be activated with the AUTO drivers door switch and then connect the PANIC buttons' output lead to a relay and to the door switch.

Just an idea for replacing a WORTHLESS feature that's taking up a great location.

Maybe you could do something similar with the neons. Just wire the PANIC buttons' output lead to a relay and then every time you press the PANIC button the relay will open/close turning on or off the neons. Then you don't have to turn off the dome light everytime you want to sit with the neons on.

Anyone know where the PANIC buttons' output wire to the horns' relay is at? Finding it is probably the most difficult part besides disassembling and reassembling everything.
alex, you will have to do that to my car when you figure out on yours...i have been toying with the exact same idea for at least 4 months but i couldn't really think of any way to do it
Old 07-17-2001, 12:07 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Re: What about wiring it in-place of the PANIC button!

Originally posted by MrBurner

alex, you will have to do that to my car when you figure out on yours...i have been toying with the exact same idea for at least 4 months but i couldn't really think of any way to do it
ZACH, will do.

Didn't you wire the passenger side window to roll down atomatically with the drivers' AUTO switch? If so, how? Just wondering, since wiring ALL 4-windows should be similar and I haven't opened up the door panel.
Old 07-17-2001, 06:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: What about wiring it in-place of the PANIC button!

Originally posted by IceY2K1

ZACH, will do.

Didn't you wire the passenger side window to roll down atomatically with the drivers' AUTO switch? If so, how? Just wondering, since wiring ALL 4-windows should be similar and I haven't opened up the door panel.
no, i wired all the windows to roll down without having to have th key in the ignition...it has turned out to be much more helpful than i originally thought