5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

when to flash ecu / idle relearn?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 02:33 PM

when to flash ecu / idle relearn?

I did a bit of reading on the forum but this question never really came up, most of the guys had pre-exisiting problems then did these two.

So my car is at the stealership at the moment and warranty covered all of the work they did fuel pump, crank sensor, a few fuel regulators (I think), and they took off the entire intake and I think throttle body to do the valve gaskets?

So they're suggesting I do a ECU flash and a Idle relearn at $90 a piece which I'd have to pay. They say with the flash it brings your ECU up to date which I don't know is a good enough benefit to me instead of resetting it?

Then that's where this post comes in. When is it necessary to do these things? What kind of RPM is normal idle for neutral and drive? Also is it worth the money to have them do these things anyways?

I'm thinking they're just trying to swindle me out of money like a typical stealership. What do you guys think? btw this is for a 2k2 if that makes any difference.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Sexier Than Simpson

Originally Posted by macnolias
I did a bit of reading on the forum but this question never really came up, most of the guys had pre-exisiting problems then did these two.

So my car is at the stealership at the moment and warranty covered all of the work they did fuel pump, crank sensor, a few fuel regulators (I think), and they took off the entire intake and I think throttle body to do the valve gaskets?

So they're suggesting I do a ECU flash and a Idle relearn at $90 a piece which I'd have to pay. They say with the flash it brings your ECU up to date which I don't know is a good enough benefit to me instead of resetting it?

Then that's where this post comes in. When is it necessary to do these things? What kind of RPM is normal idle for neutral and drive? Also is it worth the money to have them do these things anyways?

I'm thinking they're just trying to swindle me out of money like a typical stealership. What do you guys think? btw this is for a 2k2 if that makes any difference.

You may want to have them reflash the ECU to have the most current version. Ask them if they will advance the timing to 17* while they are at it. You can do the idle relearn yourself...the procedure is in the stickies how-to.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:26 PM

So I can't get away with just resetting the ECU? Do you think the stealership would try to pinch some more pennies out of me for timing part of it?

The previous dealer about a month ago the mechanic told me he did something to readjust the system with the new o2 sensors might it have been a flash that he did?
Old 06-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Sexier Than Simpson

Originally Posted by macnolias
So I can't get away with just resetting the ECU? Do you think the stealership would try to pinch some more pennies out of me for timing part of it?

The previous dealer about a month ago the mechanic told me he did something to readjust the system with the new o2 sensors might it have been a flash that he did?

Its a dealer. He is trying to get some money out of you. The update to the ECU should maybe be in a TSB and might be covered. You may not need anything. Ask him to tell you what version it is now and decide whether you need it.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:47 PM

I would ask the service writer and or tecnician why they are recommending the additional service. They may be upselling you. That's what they get paid and are trained to do.

Nissan recommends the idle relearn procedure if the throttlebody, TPS or IACV is replaced, It doesn't say in the repair manual, as far as I can see, that you have to do it if the same one is removed and reinstalled.

Here's the idle relearn procedure for the 2000 and 2001 Maxima. I'm not sure what year you have.

Without CONSULT-II

1. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 1 second.
2. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Check that all items listed under the topic “PRE-CONDITIONING”
(engine and transmission at operating temp., wheels straight, everything off except engine) are in good order.
5. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
6. Start the engine and let it idle for at least 30 seconds.
7. Disconnect throttle position sensor harness connector (brown),
then reconnect it within 5 seconds.
8. Wait 20 seconds.
9. Make sure that idle speed is within specifications. If not, the
result will be incomplete. In this case, find the cause of the
problem by referring to the NOTE below.
10. Rev up the engine two or three times. Make sure that idle
speed and ignition timing are within specifications.

ITEM SPECIFICATION
Idle speed M/T: 625±50 rpm
A/T: 700±50 rpm (in “P” or “N” position)
Ignition timing M/T: 15°±5° BTDC
A/T: 15°±5° BTDC (in “P” or “N” position)
Old 06-20-2007, 09:20 PM

yea I the post on how to do the Idle Relearn when I was doing a bit of searching threw the forum.

so far it sounds like you guys thing the dealer is full of sh**. so basically ask them what version of ECU i have and what the difference would be if I paid for the update? by the way it's a 2k2

I was already going to tell them to screw themselves but I'll be more sure of it now.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:47 PM

Does the above relearn procedure also applies to a 2002 GLE?
Old 06-11-2008, 05:59 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

So you had a crank position sensor replaced? I replaced a cam position sensor myself and 2500 miles later, the pending P0340 code is back, along with the bog/cut out (happens once or twice, then goes away for weeks at a time). I didn't reset my ECU or have it reflashed. I mentioned it to my Dad's mechanic and he says on GMs, he has to reset the ECU for the computer to recognize the new sensor. I wonder if it is the same with Nissan? Or maybe there is a software update related to the new sensor?

If the data on the reflash is newer than any updates you've had (the dealer should be able to SHOW you), then it would probably be a good idea to get the reflash, but you can to the idle relearn yourself. Not sure you'd get much of a discount though.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:29 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by axmaxima
Does the above relearn procedure also applies to a 2002 GLE?
Yes

....and why did you bump a year old thread?
Old 06-11-2008, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Yes

....and why did you bump a year old thread?
no, the 5.5th procedure is different, the thread on the org is broken somehow, I have the printed version.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:39 AM

So what will bumping the the timing 2 degree's do? what will i benifit and what are the pros and cons of this ?
Old 06-11-2008, 12:04 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by jasonmax
no, the 5.5th procedure is different, the thread on the org is broken somehow, I have the printed version.
Thanks, I was being a smart ****, and didn't even see that it was for an 01 - 02.
Here's the one for 02+:
http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/ecu.asp
Old 06-11-2008, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Thanks, I was being a smart ****, and didn't even see that it was for an 01 - 02.
Here's the one for 02+:
http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/ecu.asp
nope, this is for resetting the ECU
idle relearn for 5.5th 2002+
Idle Air Volume Learning (Throttle Position Learning)
It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.

Operation Procedures
1. Perform “Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning”.
2. Perform “Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning”.
4. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
5. Conform that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
6. Repeat the following (steps 7a, 7b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
7a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD)
7b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the Check Engine Light (CEL) stops blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the CEL is ON.
10. Start engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.
12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure the idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:32 PM
dot dot dot ...

For those wondering what the diffecen is:

They are both essentially the same procedure.

The IAVL requires that you keep the pedal depressed for 20 seconds, then start the car and verify all parameters are within spec (idle RPM & timing).

The ECU reset requires the same procedure, except you hold the pedal down for 10 seconds (as opposed to 20) then read the codes, then proceed.

Both procedures require the 2 pre- steps, and all procedures require the vehicle to be at or above operating temperature (160*F (ECT).
Old 05-29-2010, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by jasonmax
nope, this is for resetting the ECU
idle relearn for 5.5th 2002+
Idle Air Volume Learning (Throttle Position Learning)
It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.

Operation Procedures
1. Perform “Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning”.
2. Perform “Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning”.
4. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
5. Conform that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
6. Repeat the following (steps 7a, 7b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
7a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD)
7b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the Check Engine Light (CEL) stops blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the CEL is ON.
10. Start engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.
12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure the idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.
Holy old post, Batman!

But this does nothing for me. Tried it a dozen different ways. SEL never blinks.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:35 PM

What's the procedure for an 00?
Old 08-03-2010, 09:13 PM

I would also like to know this for the 01 as I am sure the 00-01 are the same.