5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: if you have a sunroof and you tinted your windows, did you tint your sunroof also?
Yes. I want to remain private while being able to use the sunroof at the same time.
50.00%
No. Though I tinted my windows, I wanted the sunroof to be a sunroof. I just close the cover.
50.00%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Sunroof Tint

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:48 AM

Poll: Sunroof Tint

To those whom have tinted thier windows, Have you tinted your sunroof also?
Just wondering if this is a generally good idea considering the purpose of tinting. There are a few ways to consider reasons for doing/not doing this.
To those who have tinted thier sunroof, does it even doing anything through the drilling sunlight.
TIA
Old 07-16-2007, 08:59 AM

I did not tint it because I have 5% tint all around the car and if I were to ever get pulled over I could just slide the sun blocker back to get a little extra sunlight in the car if I needed to.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:00 AM

Dont do it. If you have the slide then why do it. I have tinted windows and like having the clear glass. Also think of this. Say a cop is near you and may think you have dark tint.... open the slider and let some light in to make the tinted windows not look so tinted. just my 2 cents

Mines at 20%

Ohoh you have 5%. your gonna get pulled over.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:11 AM
大陆弟弟

I had my sunroof tinted at 5%, it helped a little during the summer.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by n3985
I had my sunroof tinted at 5%, it helped a little during the summer.
In your opinion did it really do much?
Originally Posted by jeff5347
Dont do it. If you have the slide then why do it. I have tinted windows and like having the clear glass. Also think of this. Say a cop is near you and may think you have dark tint.... open the slider and let some light in to make the tinted windows not look so tinted. just my 2 cents

Mines at 20%

Word up. IMO I wouldnt, due to the fact your cover can do the tinting sorta speak on/off on/off. Thanks for the input fellas
Old 07-16-2007, 09:27 AM
Turbo'd Saab

I wanted to do it with a perfect mirror tint, does any one have suggestions for that.

the guy who tinted my windows said he wouldn't do the sunroof cause he has had one explode on him so he wouldn't touch it.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:28 AM
大陆弟弟

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
In your opinion did it really do much?
For $25 I think it was worth it. It compliments the tint all around as well.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:33 AM

cost me $5 to do it.. looks great.. i did it at 20%.

and it can't be called a SUNroof unless it blocks sun.

proper terminology:

sunroof : tinted, blocks sun
moonroof : not tinted, what out maximas are equipped w/.

source: my opinion!
Old 07-16-2007, 09:46 AM

i tinted mine to 5%.. it still lets in tons of light during the day, but cuts out the mid-afternoon glare if the sun is overhead
Old 07-16-2007, 10:05 AM

i didnt tint mine. the moon looks better when you can see it clearly!!
Old 07-16-2007, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo Scorpion
i didnt tint mine. the moon looks better when you can see it clearly!!
i was thinkin the same thing.....
Originally Posted by toastedoats
i tinted mine to 5%.. it still lets in tons of light during the day, but cuts out the mid-afternoon glare if the sun is overhead
i figured that due to the perpendicualr angle to the sun
Originally Posted by ikalinin
cost me $5 to do it.. looks great.. i did it at 20%.

and it can't be called a SUNroof unless it blocks sun.

proper terminology:

sunroof : tinted, blocks sun
moonroof : not tinted, what out maximas are equipped w/.

source: my opinion!
Makes perfect sense, but i allways thought sunroof was the TILT only kind, and Moon roof was the TILT + SLIDER combo? Dosent really matter.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Banned

speak of the devil, i jus tinted my sunroof last week. I did mine primarily because i like to have the roof vented sometimes with the AC on and that sun beaming on my head was killer, I got 35% and it still seems to light, But for the most part ive got 15% all the way around.

I dont want 5% because i want to get my windshield tinted as well.....50%, and what really made me think about getting my sunroof tinted, is because several weeks back i took a trip, and i rented an Fx35, and the sunroof was tinted 35%, it really helped to keep the heat down
Old 07-16-2007, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Trurida18
.... ..it really helped to keep the heat down
I'm glad you mentioned this, something that I didnt consider off the bat.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If I want to use it as a vent, I tip the roof open and open the shade a few inches. It would not have been worth the $75 to have it done, and no desire to do it myself.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:36 PM

My friend just moved to Orlando, he said that there is no tint restrictions?
Old 07-16-2007, 12:44 PM

I have mine done, when a cop is by i open the slide for extra light just incase. Even though in Jersey tint is not allowed on front windows, but if its light enough its okay for some cities anyway. I also like being able to see the moon clear at night. The 02-03 TL have tint on theres
Old 07-16-2007, 12:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MerlotMax
If I want to use it as a vent, I tip the roof open and open the shade a few inches. It would not have been worth the $75 to have it done, and no desire to do it myself.

damn 75 bucks...i only got charged 35 bucks
Old 07-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

damn 75 bucks...i only got charged 35 bucks
That was my thought, also.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

speak of the devil, i jus tinted my sunroof last week. I did mine primarily because i like to have the roof vented sometimes with the AC on and that sun beaming on my head was killer, I got 35% and it still seems to light, But for the most part ive got 15% all the way around.

I dont want 5% because i want to get my windshield tinted as well.....50%, and what really made me think about getting my sunroof tinted, is because several weeks back i took a trip, and i rented an Fx35, and the sunroof was tinted 35%, it really helped to keep the heat down
I'm the say way; I love to crack the sunroof to let out the afternoon heat and not worry about getting a tan in while I do it! Mine's tinted 5%, wish I had it slightly darker (1%-2%). I'm not worried about local law enforcement harassing me about tint, they've got better things to do (17% on the other windows, TN legal limit is 35%). I had my sunroof done with the windshield strip and back 5 windows for $220... Sunroof was about $20, IIRC.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:57 PM

Got mines tinted at 5%.I like the way it looks, i hated the clear glass but to each of their own.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:31 PM
Nightmare = Reality

I don't have mine Tinted at all, but I DEFINATELY want 5%. I want to pull back the shade and vent it during the day, but I despise the glare and the heat on my shoulders, so I basically use it only at night. the excess of light coming through makes me despise even having a sunroof most of the time.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:10 PM

place wanted another 60 or so bucks to do mine.. and i figured hey its a sunroof and i always have it open so why tint it?.. my windows are 35/20 btw...
Old 07-16-2007, 04:36 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

If you were willing to experiment, I'd say just head to a local auto parts store and pick up a roll of 5% or less film and put it on yourself! Especially if the local shops want too much $$$.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:46 PM
Pointy Elbows

22% on mine...should've went with 5%. The factory tint on my sister's 03 Accord looks darker than mine.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:04 PM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

It may explode due to trapping the heat, just a thought for the people who's summers get extremely hot. Hey... it looks nice!!!

With that in mind I still tinted mine with mirror tint. It helps in reflection instead of absorbtion. Just a little.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:12 PM

How to check what is % of tint? Thanks
Old 07-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SilverGLE
I'm the say way; I love to crack the sunroof to let out the afternoon heat and not worry about getting a tan in while I do it! Mine's tinted 5%, wish I had it slightly darker (1%-2%). I'm not worried about local law enforcement harassing me about tint, they've got better things to do (17% on the other windows, TN legal limit is 35%). I had my sunroof done with the windshield strip and back 5 windows for $220... Sunroof was about $20, IIRC.
wow thats not bad pricing for all that..i had all 5 of my windows done for 160 and then i paid 50 bucks for a voucher in the even that i get a work order, and the tint spot would take the tints off and put them back on, i doub the cops would harass me about a damn sun roof. I was thinking of doing 50% on my windshield, because that heat radiating through the front window can be tremendous, lol
Old 07-16-2007, 10:26 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

^ I actually could've gotten it cheaper, but I wanted darker than the legal limit. The film I have is semi-metallic, so it's mildly mirrored in sunlight and overcast weather, and looks like charcoal at night. Helps reflect additional heat, and looks damn good! The place that did my last car (and jacked up my window when I had it replaced) would've only charged $165 for the limit (no sunroof, though) and $20 more for 20% (but not the mirrored film). The place I had my Max done charged more, but I like their service better and they were the only place that had Platinum Plus in 20% (they say 20%, Llumar says 17%).

But I also had to sign on this little line stating that I am aware that my tint does not comply with TN state law...
Old 07-16-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

Originally Posted by aspen
I don't know of a way to check without using a film of a known %, but a tint's % is the % of light transmittance, in other words what percent of light it lets through. 35% tint lets 35% of the light that shines on it pass through it.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:41 PM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

Originally Posted by aspen
Stop the next you see and ask him
Old 07-17-2007, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Orgullo
It may explode due to trapping the heat, just a thought for the people who's summers get extremely hot. Hey... it looks nice!!!

With that in mind I still tinted mine with mirror tint. It helps in reflection instead of absorbtion. Just a little.
Very interesting point, thanks for your input Orgullo.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:41 PM

It's hard enough having the windows tinted in NJ let alone making them look even darker...
Old 07-17-2007, 12:56 PM

I originally was going to tint 35% for the roof because I want the maximum lighting input at night. But then I decided to go with 20% and I'm quite happy with it. Now I can use the sunroof on a hot sunny day without frying my arm.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Orgullo

what are you talking about exploding?
Old 07-17-2007, 02:04 PM
Got Projectors?

^ I actually could've gotten it cheaper, but I wanted darker than the legal limit. The film I have is semi-metallic, so it's mildly mirrored in sunlight and overcast weather, and looks like charcoal at night. Helps reflect additional heat, and looks damn good! The place that did my last car (and jacked up my window when I had it replaced) would've only charged $165 for the limit (no sunroof, though) and $20 more for 20% (but not the mirrored film). The place I had my Max done charged more, but I like their service better and they were the only place that had Platinum Plus in 20% (they say 20%, Llumar says 17%).

But I also had to sign on this little line stating that I am aware that my tint does not comply with TN state law...
[slightly OT]

Go to Solar Pros by chance?

That's where I got my Platinum Plus done years ago in 35%. Didn't have them do the sunroof though.

Oddly enough, went with my friend to get his E36 tinted in Platinum Plus there a couple months ago and not only did they say that they didn't have 35% Platinum Plus, but that Llumar platinum plus is illegal no matter what the percentage

I think the truth was that they didn't have what he wanted and he was about to leave and they were determined to sell him on what they did have. And he went for it...

But I distinctly remember it being 35% on my car, and I know I never signed off on anything regarding the legality of my tint.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:54 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
[slightly OT]

Go to Solar Pros by chance?

That's where I got my Platinum Plus done years ago in 35%. Didn't have them do the sunroof though.

Oddly enough, went with my friend to get his E36 tinted in Platinum Plus there a couple months ago and not only did they say that they didn't have 35% Platinum Plus, but that Llumar platinum plus is illegal no matter what the percentage

I think the truth was that they didn't have what he wanted and he was about to leave and they were determined to sell him on what they did have. And he went for it...

But I distinctly remember it being 35% on my car, and I know I never signed off on anything regarding the legality of my tint.
Solar Pros on I'll-Kill-U Highway? Yup... They had 35% and "20%" (They say 20%, Llumar's web site says 17%) when I called them. Precision Tint off 140 near Parkside had it in 35% (they did my Camry when I had it), but nothing darker. I promised myself after getting 35% that I would get something darker next time around, in the 15%-20% range...

And... Holy crap! Any mirrored-looking film is illegal in TN! :O I had no idea... Ah, well. The nice thing about most decent tint places in Knoxville is that they'll match somebody's price on the same tint with the same film.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:24 AM
Got Projectors?

And... Holy crap! Any mirrored-looking film is illegal in TN! :O I had no idea... Ah, well. The nice thing about most decent tint places in Knoxville is that they'll match somebody's price on the same tint with the same film.
Odd..I'd like to know how they came up with reflective/metallic tint in TN being illegal. I just did a quick search of TN statutes and cases and couldn't come up with anything with regards to reflective/metallic qualities in window tint.

Doesn't mean it's not true...I just can't find anything on the books about it.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:10 AM

Mines at 20%

I've had 5% on it for over 3 years, 5% on my Z28 for 7 or 8 years, 5% on my 4Runner for the whole 2 years that I had it and 5% on my Hombre for the whole year that I had it.... never been pulled over for it never got a ticket for it and never been asked/talked to about it thank you very much.

Oh yeah, and myZ28 has 30% on the WHOLE WINDSHIELD.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by bwinter7
My friend just moved to Orlando, he said that there is no tint restrictions?

Your friend is wrong, lol.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:31 PM

if you have a black or dark color 5% is the way to go cuz i makes the whole roof look uniform instead of just a hole in the roof and if you drive around with the shade open the sun gets blocked out alot but you still can see out

Quick Reply: Poll: Sunroof Tint