5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

A strange problem when starting my car, help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 08:58 PM

A strange problem when starting my car, help

I have a 03 Maxima and about 31000miles on it. In recent 2 months, I have a very strange problem when starting my car. If the car is cold, rpm will go up to 2000 and drop to about 1000 when igniting (maybe normal), but if the car is already warm up, rpm will go up to 800 and then drop to very low rpm (~200), then go up again (engine sound is loud). However, several times the engine stopped and engine checking light came up. Is this O2 senser problem or the engine has some problem? Thanks a lot.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:06 AM

Any idea, fellows? Thanks a lot.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:31 AM

first of all bring your car to autozone to pull the code. that's sound your MAF busted. O2 sensors never cause those problems.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:22 PM

Thanks a lot. I checked with dealer about the price of repalcing MAF, 550+190 labor. Is that too much?
Old 07-24-2007, 12:32 PM

Yeah, get an 01 MAF from Dave B. or any other place, (Dave will get you the best price) and transfer your thermister clip from the one you have, to the 01 (which didn't come with one). The clip is there, ready to go on the 01, it's like 2 min worth of work, for a savings of $300...... Trust me, it's worth it

EDIT: Actually, it's more like a savings of $640 in your case, and it is a matter of unplugging the harness that goes to the MAF on your intake, a couple of screws. You take it out, take the thermister off of your Old MAF, put it on the new one, an VOILA! you're done!
Old 07-24-2007, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by aspen
Thanks a lot. I checked with dealer about the price of repalcing MAF, 550+190 labor. Is that too much?
did you bring your car to autozone yet? you need to find out what code is it. consider from your mileage, you don't need change the MAF (not sure). maybe your MAF is dirty. you can clean it with MAF CLEANER. You can get it from local store and it cost you only less then $20 (i believe). you need tried this method 1st.

If you want to clean your MAF,you need to make sure the key not into ignition or dont put your car on STANDBY MODE.

BTW you don't need to pay anything, if you want to pull a code or reset the ECU from AUTOZONE just give the guy a tip, so don't be affraid.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:52 PM
DasYears

try an idle air adjustment yet? pretty easy to do to eliminate that. if the check engine light doesnt stay on, only goes on when the engine dies its likely that its only a low oil press code which would go on with low engine speed because the oil pump impeller isnt being driven quick enough to produce sufficient oil press. if it does stay on then take it to autozone and get it checked for free.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by DasYears
try an idle air adjustment yet? pretty easy to do to eliminate that. if the check engine light doesnt stay on, only goes on when the engine dies its likely that its only a low oil press code which would go on with low engine speed because the oil pump impeller isnt being driven quick enough to produce sufficient oil press. if it does stay on then take it to autozone and get it checked for free.
How to do idle air adjustment? Thanks a lot guys.

Actually I had one new phenomena this morning. I was about to park my car and stepping on brake, and the engine died. The transimission was still in "drive" position. So I tried to start my car again and first time failed with very strange low pitch noise, and second time still had this noise but car started. So I put transmission back.
I checked with one of my collegue. He has a 2001 sentry and has the exact same problem with me. He said every time when he saw the rpm went down to low, he just pressed the oil pedal and worked fine for him.

So I think maybe DasYears is right.

I have already borrow the tool from Autozone to check the code. (They can lend me the tool but not help me, :-(, I am in CA, is that the new rule?)
Old 07-24-2007, 03:25 PM

Hi DasYears, thanks for your input. My question is why when my car is cold I don't have this problem and I only see this when the car is already warm up? Thanks a lot.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:40 PM
DasYears

How to do idle air adjustment?
check the how-to sticky, its in the ECU reset procedure post

Old 07-25-2007, 08:41 PM

Yesterday when I just arrived at my home, the engine check light finally got on, and I can't start my engine when it is hot. I pulled the error code: P0340: camshaft position sensor A -Bank 1 circuit malfunction.
Is it easy to change the sensor by myselft? I called Autozone to order the sensor, but I was told there are two, left and right side. Anyone happened to know which side sensor A is. Thanks a lot.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:54 AM
DasYears

there is a TSB for certain VIN max's. you may be able to get it replaced for cheap.

PS: actually it might have been a voluntary recall for some VIN's. i dont remember exactly

Old 07-26-2007, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by DasYears
there is a TSB for certain VIN max's. you may be able to get it replaced for cheap.

PS: actually it might have been a voluntary recall for some VIN's. i dont remember exactly
Is that sensor still warranty? (My car is 2003, engine warranty 5 years, is this sensor part of engine?)
Old 07-31-2007, 06:15 PM

got my car towed to dealership today, exact cam sensor problem, replaced it and it works! Thanks a lot for all your inputs.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:01 PM
2003SE

I have a 03 Maxima and about 31000miles on it. In recent 2 months, I have a very strange problem when starting my car. If the car is cold, rpm will go up to 2000 and drop to about 1000 when igniting (maybe normal), but if the car is already warm up, rpm will go up to 800 and then drop to very low rpm (~200), then go up again (engine sound is loud). However, several times the engine stopped and engine checking light came up. Is this O2 senser problem or the engine has some problem? Thanks a lot.
Originally Posted by SoulEaster
did you bring your car to autozone yet? you need to find out what code is it. consider from your mileage, you don't need change the MAF (not sure). maybe your MAF is dirty. you can clean it with MAF CLEANER. You can get it from local store and it cost you only less then $20 (i believe). you need tried this method 1st.

If you want to clean your MAF,you need to make sure the key not into ignition or dont put your car on STANDBY MODE.

BTW you don't need to pay anything, if you want to pull a code or reset the ECU from AUTOZONE just give the guy a tip, so don't be affraid.
Same problem
Hi, I had code P0138 (sensor 2 bank 1). I replaced the sensor but the problem still exists (sometimes). I'm willing to try a MAF cleaner. How can I clean the MAF? Pictures with instructions will be very helpful since several members here are having the same problem.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:49 AM
DasYears

check your wiring, you wouldnt get a code for the sensor unles there was something wrong

Old 08-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I know my Maxima has a pretty low idle rpm.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:07 PM

Today I started my car when it's warm, same thing happened, RPM went to 1000 and dropped to almost 0 and went back. And when it's cold, RPM will go up to 2000 and drop to 1000. I asked a guy in Autozone, and he suspected maybe the air hose leaked. I was thinking maybe the other cam position sensor has problem too since dealer only replaced one for me. (2003 has 2 cam position sensor). Any more ideas about this problem? Thanks a lot.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:11 PM

And also I tried the method my coligue told me (his sentra has exact same starting problem with my car): when starting the car, gives a little gas and rpm will go up more and it's fine. Why does this method kind of solve this problem? What does it suggest?