5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rear Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 04:19 AM

Rear Brakes

Wsup Peoples, i have a question regarding my rear brakes. Lately i have been noticing that my rear brakes were squealing continuously so i figured that i had to change my rear pads. So i buy the pads yesterday and start to take off the rear passenger calipers. 1. the caliper was very hard to take off and once it came off the outside pad looked like it had a lot of meat on it while the inside pad was worn down metal to metal. i never got to check the other one cuz my son woke up and i was by myself. my question is do i have a frozen caliper? also what should i replace? pads? rotors?? calipers?? any info would be great as i dont know what i should be looking to purchase . the rotors were ok had some grooves where the pad was hitting metal to metal
Old 08-11-2007, 06:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You need to determine if the problem is the hand brake cable or caliper. Remove the hand brake cable and check operation and then check the operation of the caliper along with all of the caliper sliders. It sounds like your caliper sliders are seized. You will most likely be replacing the caliper. I would replace the rotors and pads.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:30 AM

Yeah, I'd say caliper too. The dumb ****s who did the brakes before I got the car didn't put a pad on the rear caliper where the piston pushes it and it etched grooves in the back of the rotor, siezed the caliper, so I didn't hear any noise. *******S!!!!!
Old 08-11-2007, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by latinojerza
Wsup Peoples, i have a question regarding my rear brakes. Lately i have been noticing that my rear brakes were squealing continuously so i figured that i had to change my rear pads. So i buy the pads yesterday and start to take off the rear passenger calipers. 1. the caliper was very hard to take off and once it came off the outside pad looked like it had a lot of meat on it while the inside pad was worn down metal to metal. i never got to check the other one cuz my son woke up and i was by myself. my question is do i have a frozen caliper? also what should i replace? pads? rotors?? calipers?? any info would be great as i dont know what i should be looking to purchase . the rotors were ok had some grooves where the pad was hitting metal to metal
your sliding pins are seized. what youd need to do is either get another caliper bracket or try to get the pin out of your bracket and replace it. should be fine after that. what youd need really depends on the condition of everything. what id do if i were you is to replace the caliper pin or find a used bracket/rear caliper assembly. if the rotors arent scored/cut too bad then just replace the pads and you should be set. also wen you do the other side, pull the pins and lube them up since your taking the caliper off anyway. also check your e-brake cable. it might be stretched also. your supposed to take off a 10mm bolt for the ebrake cable to take off the caliper. hit me up on aim if you need any more help
Old 08-11-2007, 05:43 PM

Thanks everyone for the help, really useful information im gonna try to see if i can fix it tommorrow, rotors arent too bad but i think im gonna get some new ones anyway i might as well....thanks for the input everyone ill keep you updated