5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Pics of AEM CAI on an Accord V6 (bored)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2001, 08:59 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

I guess because of engine/intake layout on the VQ30 you guys can't get any good CAI setup (besides ooglie) without drilling holes in stuff, which sucks. Anyways, I thought it might be interesting to post of some pics of my AEM CAI install for y'all just for the helluvit.

BEFORE: Here's the stock engine bay. The intake tubing / filter box juts over to the right from the engine.
STOCK Engine Bay

AFTER: And here it is with the stock intake and filter box removed and the AEM CAI installed.
w/AEM CAI - Side Shot

AFTER: Here's a close-up shot of how the CAI extension goes down below the engine bay and into the bumper area. You can see the big K&N filter on the tip, and this is also where the resonator box used to be, which is removed during installation.
AEM CAI Close-Up

More shots available HERE
Old 07-23-2001, 09:13 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by SteVTEC
I guess because of engine/intake layout on the VQ30 you guys can't get any good CAI setup (besides ooglie) without drilling holes in stuff, which sucks. Anyways, I thought it might be interesting to post of some pics of my AEM CAI install for y'all just for the helluvit.

BEFORE: Here's the stock engine bay. The intake tubing / filter box juts over to the right from the engine.
STOCK Engine Bay

AFTER: And here it is with the stock intake and filter box removed and the AEM CAI installed.
w/AEM CAI - Side Shot

AFTER: Here's a close-up shot of how the CAI extension goes down below the engine bay and into the bumper area. You can see the big K&N filter on the tip, and this is also where the resonator box used to be, which is removed during installation.
AEM CAI Close-Up

Nice. Wish mine could look that clean. 7.2/7.4 0-60 is darn good for an auto with only a CAI. What is your 1/4 time/speed?

Just wondering, since I might be needing to purchase an automatic non-Nissan something soon.
Old 07-23-2001, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by IceY2K1
Nice. Wish mine could look that clean. 7.2/7.4 0-60 is darn good for an auto with only a CAI. What is your 1/4 time/speed?

Just wondering, since I might be needing to purchase an automatic non-Nissan something soon.
Thanks

Well actually you have to average it out, since this flattest stretch of road I could find in my area was still a bit lopsided. 7.4/7.8 (slightly downhill / slightly uphill) averages out to around 7.6s, and with the Denso Iridiums and AEM CAI the improved 7.2/7.6's average out to around 7.4s.

I did one 1/4 mile run and got 15.46 @ 95.6, but this is very optimistic because this is the slight downhill direction. I couldn't do a run in the other direction because the road in that direction ends in a "T" and the road is only 0.4 miles between the T and the first light in the other direction. Too risk if you need to slow down in a hurry, and you will. If i did it in the other direction it would definitely be probably 16.2x-3x or something and then average out to the high-15's, which is about what I should be running with my mods. Minus the spare and jack and plus a good launch I should be able to run 15.7's or 15.8's I would imagine. I haven't been to a track yet to get a REAL time.

A Max/auto with power-shifting at redline will be a little bit quicker stock and will also be quicker with about the same mods (mid-15's instead of high-15's)
Old 07-23-2001, 09:33 PM

Well actually you have to average it out, since this flattest stretch of road I could find in my area was still a bit lopsided. 7.4/7.8 (slightly downhill / slightly uphill) averages out to around 7.6s, and with the Denso Iridiums and AEM CAI the improved 7.2/7.6's average out to around 7.4s.

I did one 1/4 mile run and got 15.46 @ 95.6, but this is very optimistic because this is the slight downhill direction. I couldn't do a run in the other direction because the road in that direction ends in a "T" and the road is only 0.4 miles between the T and the first light in the other direction. Too risk if you need to slow down in a hurry, and you will. If i did it in the other direction it would definitely be probably 16.2x-3x or something and then average out to the high-15's, which is about what I should be running with my mods. Minus the spare and jack and plus a good launch I should be able to run 15.7's or 15.8's I would imagine. I haven't been to a track yet to get a REAL time.

A Max/auto with power-shifting at redline will be a little bit quicker stock and will also be quicker with about the same mods (mid-15's instead of high-15's)
My sister in law has an 00 accord v6 and I drove it and was very impressed by the amoutn of pep that thing had. it snapped off the line it seemed like. but then i drove a max and man, what a difference. More bog down low but swing the tach past 4k and you've just got a big grin...

I really don't what relevance this has...

Nice engine...
Nice intake...
Old 07-23-2001, 09:46 PM

STOCK Engine Bay

w/AEM CAI - Side Shot

AEM CAI Close-Up

Here is a list of mods for you to get:

- Neuspeed headers
- Comptech Tl-S Exhaust

- Neuspeed Upper strut tie bar
- Neuspeed Billet Lower Front and Rear Tie Bars
- Neuspeed Rear sway bar
- Neuspeed Front sway bar

Ahhh, gotta love adding bars to your car! I remember my bro adding like 6 bars to his first 95 Integra, he said the handling was amazingly good even with stock struts and springs. It makes your car a sleeper pulling 0.9g.

He had upper strut bar, rear strut bar, rear sway bar, front sway bar, front/rear tie bars.
Old 07-23-2001, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by LoveSick
Here is a list of mods for you to get:

- Neuspeed headers
- Comptech Tl-S Exhaust

- Neuspeed Upper strut tie bar
- Neuspeed Billet Lower Front and Rear Tie Bars
- Neuspeed Rear sway bar
- Neuspeed Front sway bar

Ahhh, gotta love adding bars to your car! I remember my bro adding like 6 bars to his first 95 Integra, he said the handling was amazingly good even with stock struts and springs. It makes your car a sleeper pulling 0.9g.

He had upper strut bar, rear strut bar, rear sway bar, front sway bar, front/rear tie bars.
Thanks!

I have a similar list too, but it all depends on what happens in a year (see thread below). In a year I'm either going to upgrade to a 2k2 Max SE 6spd, or a TL-S, OR I'm going to keep my Accord V6 for the long haul and basically run the thing into the ground.

If I'm keeping the Accord here's my list:

Neuspeed (or Comptech) F/R Sway Bars
Comptech Headers
Comptech Exhaust (maybe)
UNIChip ECU Enhancer (can get 20-30 fwhp gains on our cars. 10-20 fwhp depending on mods when tuned for 87 octane, and 20-30 fwhp depending on mods when tuned for 91+ octane)

Even if I got a TL-S I'd still probably do about the same mods, just a little further down the road, and the same thing for a 2k2 Max
Old 07-23-2001, 10:47 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

No cutting?

Looks good!
Old 07-24-2001, 12:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
No cutting?

of course!! it's a Honda...they think about these kinda situations...
that's one thing i like about Honda/Acura...it's just too damn easy to change parts!!!(except for the parking lights on the new Accords...why the hell....) :P
Old 07-24-2001, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by irvine78

of course!! it's a Honda...they think about these kinda situations...
that's one thing i like about Honda/Acura...it's just too damn easy to change parts!!!(except for the parking lights on the new Accords...why the hell....) :P
can you say Civtegra CX-R

Old 07-24-2001, 03:25 PM
Got Bent?

Steve: the CAI looks great! Too bad the maxima doesn't have such a clean solution for installing one
Old 07-24-2001, 03:53 PM

STOCK Engine Bay

w/AEM CAI - Side Shot

AEM CAI Close-Up

hey, my sister has a silver '00 v6 accord coupe wish a CAI, tanabe hyper medallian exhaust, neuspeed springs(i think), altezzas, and a black widow kit. i have a question for you: does your CAI filter get hella dirty really quick? my sisters does but maybe cuz hers is dropped. but i have to clean her filter like every month ands its black whenever i clean it. i even had to cut some of the CAI piping to put the filter up higher... is urs like this too?
Old 07-25-2001, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by _DRU_
hey, my sister has a silver '00 v6 accord coupe wish a CAI, tanabe hyper medallian exhaust, neuspeed springs(i think), altezzas, and a black widow kit. i have a question for you: does your CAI filter get hella dirty really quick? my sisters does but maybe cuz hers is dropped. but i have to clean her filter like every month ands its black whenever i clean it. i even had to cut some of the CAI piping to put the filter up higher... is urs like this too?
I think this would have to do more with the area you're in. If you live in dusty/rainy conditions I could see the filter getting mucked up real quick. I'm in Maryland so it rains here a bit, but it's hardly ever dusty.