5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

AE not much faster then '99?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2001, 10:12 AM
Dan2001AEMax

I just traded in my '99 Limited Edition Max auto. in on a AE Max auto. It doesn't seem much faster at all. I dont know if its because its just so smooth. Or because its heavier, the more power, makes it about the same as my old car. The tires dont spin as much from a dead stop either. Is that because of the bigger wheels? I just put a K&N panel filter in last night and that seemed to help a little. What are the 0-60 and quarter mile times on a AE auto? Dont get me wrong, I love this car. Much, much sweeter then my old one.

Old 07-29-2001, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by Dan2001AEMax
I just traded in my '99 Limited Edition Max auto. in on a AE Max auto. It doesn't seem much faster at all. I dont know if its because its just so smooth. Or because its heavier, the more power, makes it about the same as my old car. The tires dont spin as much from a dead stop either. Is that because of the bigger wheels? I just put a K&N panel filter in last night and that seemed to help a little. What are the 0-60 and quarter mile times on a AE auto? Dont get me wrong, I love this car. Much, much sweeter then my old one.
Before we got our current 2000 SE with differential, we owned a 96 GXE with nothing on it. THe old GXE was very smooth too. It started out smooth until after 40000miles using synthetic. When we got the new 2K se, we thought it wasn't much faster, but more solider than the old one.

Even consumer guide said that the new Max isn't any faster than the old one, but passing power has definetly improved.
Old 07-29-2001, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by Dan2001AEMax
shoulve stayed with the 4th gens ... j/p, if you just got the car, break it in first.after a thousand miles or so, the car may feel faster then when you just got it. i think 4th gens are jumpier off the line but 5th gens have a bigger and better powerband. thats why you dont have the spin on the take offs anymore.
Old 07-29-2001, 11:04 AM

This should be in the sticky

Hey Kev, can you put this in the FAQ?

anyways, the 4th gen are DEFINITELY jumpier off the line, and have slightly better throttle response off the line too. It can screech the tires more than the 5th gen can.

BUT,

the 5th gens have much better mid and top end power. The passing power is much better in the 5th gens. For example, if you punch it at 40 mph in a 5th gen auto, the car will kick shift into 2nd gear and just pull like crazy.

Try the same thing in a 4th gen auto, and you will feel that it DOES NOT pull as hard.

In the magazines, the 5th gens have slower times than the 4th gens, (by the way, I am talking about autos), but that is very deceiving. The 5th gens have slower times because the tranny shifts slower than the 4th gens. In reality, 5th gens are faster.
Old 07-29-2001, 12:23 PM

Re: This should be in the sticky

Originally posted by ArcticMax
Hey Kev, can you put this in the FAQ?

anyways, the 4th gen are DEFINITELY jumpier off the line, and have slightly better throttle response off the line too. It can screech the tires more than the 5th gen can.

BUT,

the 5th gens have much better mid and top end power. The passing power is much better in the 5th gens. For example, if you punch it at 40 mph in a 5th gen auto, the car will kick shift into 2nd gear and just pull like crazy.

Try the same thing in a 4th gen auto, and you will feel that it DOES NOT pull as hard.

In the magazines, the 5th gens have slower times than the 4th gens, (by the way, I am talking about autos), but that is very deceiving. The 5th gens have slower times because the tranny shifts slower than the 4th gens. In reality, 5th gens are faster.
Great answer, plus its true!
Old 07-29-2001, 12:28 PM

No Flames Just Facts.....

Well the 4th and 5th gens may seem similar until 2002 then your gone lose, 260hp!!! But which looks better???? Obviously the 2001 Anniversary Cars ..... nice lines with a factory Stillen kinda look. Kinda makes you wanna park and let everybody enjoy it. When I see one in the parking lot, I still turn and take another lap......won't see me doing that for previous generations. And I own one........
Old 07-29-2001, 12:29 PM

Well i ahve both and I must say this again that my 97auto from a start is faster than my 2k1auto up to 90. We raced both of them from a dead stop and the 97 had the jump and maintained a 3/4-1 car lead. Now moving along and I punch the 2k1 is slightly faster, I still dont see where everyone is saying that the 2k/2k1 has all this mid to high range power, I just dont feel much of a difference at all.
Old 07-29-2001, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Well i ahve both and I must say this again that my 97auto from a start is faster than my 2k1auto up to 90. We raced both of them from a dead stop and the 97 had the jump and maintained a 3/4-1 car lead. Now moving along and I punch the 2k1 is slightly faster, I still dont see where everyone is saying that the 2k/2k1 has all this mid to high range power, I just dont feel much of a difference at all.
Sorry not to agree with you but I had a 97 and a 99SE and COULD tell the difference immediately, that's why I bought the "01" The midrange and high end were much stronger to me but as you stated off the line the 4th gens have an advantage.
Old 07-29-2001, 02:37 PM

oh, don't forget that your AE has LSD on it. This might reduce the off the line response a little, thus, less wheel spin.
Old 07-29-2001, 04:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

whats AE?
Old 07-29-2001, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by Burton069
whats AE?
Anniversary Edition!
Old 07-29-2001, 05:02 PM

The 4th gens are definitely faster off the line, but the 5th gens are better on mid to top end. There is definitely some power lose through the LSD, plus the 5th gen gearing is the $h!t$ !!! Plus the 4th gen is lighter.
Looks wise, the AE stands by itself. All of my friends that have seen the car did not believe it is a Maxima. I catch alot of people just staring at the car sometimes, myself included
Old 07-29-2001, 07:49 PM
Dan2001AEMax

Hey SFMax20SE,

How'd you get that chrome tip on your exhaust? Did you take off the downward extensions and put straight ones on or what?

Old 07-30-2001, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by SFMax20SE
plus the 5th gen gearing is the $h!t$ !!!
The 4th and 5th gen have the same gearing.
5th gen is faster mid and top????

Wanna race?

(I'll even be off the bottle)
Old 07-30-2001, 01:32 AM

Hey BriGuyMax,
In case you didn't notice, I have a auto trans. Are you referring to auto trans being the same or manual trans being the same? If you are referring to the auto trans being the same in the 4th and 5th gen, thanks for the info... I didn't know that, but I didn't say they were different, I just said the 5th gen's gearing sucks
Race... sure I'll be on the bottle soon, and with a Level 10 tranny, Don's VB mod, a custom TC, and some ECU tuning via the UniChip, so keep the bottle in there... I'm game if you are

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

The 4th and 5th gen have the same gearing.
5th gen is faster mid and top????

Wanna race?

(I'll even be off the bottle)
Old 07-30-2001, 06:44 AM

Originally posted by SFMax20SE
Hey BriGuyMax,
In case you didn't notice, I have a auto trans. Are you referring to auto trans being the same or manual trans being the same? If you are referring to the auto trans being the same in the 4th and 5th gen, thanks for the info... I didn't know that, but I didn't say they were different, I just said the 5th gen's gearing sucks
Race... sure I'll be on the bottle soon, and with a Level 10 tranny, Don's VB mod, a custom TC, and some ECU tuning via the UniChip, so keep the bottle in there... I'm game if you are

my bad...it was really late when I posted last night. I didn't catch the sarcasm about the gearing, and yes I am talking about the manuals and autos..both same gearing.

About the racing. If we both did race, on the bottle, it would be all about who's gutsy enough to run a bigger shot.

I think an N/A race would be much more fun.
But, you're probably on the east or west coast, which is most likely the case, and I'm in Chicago, so we probably won't race anytime soon.
Old 07-30-2001, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

my bad...it was really late when I posted last night. I didn't catch the sarcasm about the gearing, and yes I am talking about the manuals and autos..both same gearing.

About the racing. If we both did race, on the bottle, it would be all about who's gutsy enough to run a bigger shot.

I think an N/A race would be much more fun.
But, you're probably on the east or west coast, which is most likely the case, and I'm in Chicago, so we probably won't race anytime soon.

Ill race you punk....Just wait till this weekend when i get the y-pipe in. I think i will finally beat you, if you dont use your cheater gas