5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What kinda headlight bulbs you guys (& gals) using?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 05:54 AM

PIAAs? Nokya? Do they throw the same light pattern as the stock bulbs?
Old 07-31-2001, 05:55 AM

Old 07-31-2001, 05:58 AM
Got Bent?

Headlights: Raybrig White Thunder H4 55/60W
Fogs: Philips BlueVision H3 55W
Old 07-31-2001, 06:02 AM

Is the visibility the same as stock?
Old 07-31-2001, 06:03 AM

Okay i dont know why my thread posted twice...I thought i stopped it by pressing stop and changing the title..sorry

UMD_MaxSE does ur headlight bulb throw the same amount of light as the stock bulbs? I heard some bulbs are dimmer..dont want those..
Old 07-31-2001, 06:17 AM
Got Bent?

Both headlights and fogs are much brighter and whiter than stock....
Old 07-31-2001, 06:25 AM

PIAA Platnum in headlights, foglights, and side markers
Old 07-31-2001, 06:45 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

PIAA Super Plasma
Old 07-31-2001, 09:29 AM

PIAA Xtremes......loved the Super Plasmas but were not powerful enough at night. Miss the purple coloring.....
Old 07-31-2001, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by killrwheels
PIAA Xtremes......loved the Super Plasmas but were not powerful enough at night. Miss the purple coloring.....
So the Xtremes dont look like HIDs? I want a bulb that looks like HIDs..but 700$ for the real ones is a lil too much..
Old 07-31-2001, 10:32 AM

do these headlights still maintain high beam capability? B/c i've heard that most actually hid don't keep the high beam and I refuse to go without it. Also, how does the max aim thwe high beam using only one bulb? i'v eonyl owned cars that had a bulb for normal and a bulb for high and the angle was higher for the highs....how does the max do it?
Old 07-31-2001, 10:41 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Ironlord
do these headlights still maintain high beam capability? B/c i've heard that most actually hid don't keep the high beam and I refuse to go without it. Also, how does the max aim thwe high beam using only one bulb? i'v eonyl owned cars that had a bulb for normal and a bulb for high and the angle was higher for the highs....how does the max do it?
bulb replacements like the ones mentioned here have high-beam still. The H4 bulb has two filaments, one for high beam and one for low beam.
Old 07-31-2001, 02:31 PM

Xtremes look like a hybrid bulb, and that is what each one is. You cannot simply change bulbs and expect HID. Although HID kits are sold on this site and others, none are factory backed and none are warrantied for damage to existing housing, wiring, and such. Therefore you look for the bulb that best changes the "color" to one that you like. Xtremes are much brighter and colored than original bulbs ......as they lose the yellow coloring that most halogen bulbs produce. Plasmas are wilder in that they are clearly "purple" versus "aqua". They are by no means bright though....and fail to emit what the factories bulbs already do. A medium would probably be Catz's Galaxy White.

PIAA does take and place an ion coating on the bulb to change appearance and this is where the coloring comes in. Unfortunately the heavy or darker the coat the less light can travel through. But realize that most cheap "ZENON" bulbs are tinted (similar to car windows) and allow much less light to travel. You get what you pay for most of the time, and PIAA gets my vote.
Old 07-31-2001, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Ludacris
Before:

PIAA Xtreme White H4 (headlights)
Catz Dynasty White H3 (fogs)

After:

Sylvania Luminarc HID Kit (Hella ballasts, Philips (?) bulbs)
Catz Dynasty White H3

Overall, PIAA Xtreme whites are nicer than everything else I've seen as far as regular bulbs go. They are really white with a ~very~ slight blue tint. The Catz are about the same as the PIAA Plasma blue (nice looking that is).

HID is by far brighter than the PIAAs, I feel I can someone with light The beam pattern is visibly worse than original bulbs, but nothing unbearable (nowhere as bad as with non-H4 type size heh)... and having all that extra light compensates.

Overall, I'm a happy camper.

If you wish to stick to regular bulbs, PIAA Xtreme White is an excellent choice.
Old 07-31-2001, 05:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The hell with all of you.....

I am running Vision HID kit in my Maximus. It has the greatest color output on the planet of HID kits.

See for yourself

http://geocities.com/dsuthar/hidlight.jpg

I could not stand getting these crappy "superwhite" or "plasma" bulbs anymore. BUT I do however need a foglight bulb that will match now, I was thinking of modifying the housing to maybe fit a H7 or a 9006 since they give out much better output then a small a$$ H3 bulb. What yall think?

Dixit
Old 07-31-2001, 05:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Piaa superplasma H4, Ionic yellow H3
Old 07-31-2001, 05:47 PM

I've had Nokya 9003 Artic White bulbs. They are blue and strickly blue. I just bought PIAA Xtremes. Biggest waste of $72 I've spent. You're better off with the Superwhites or Super Plasma. PIAA Xtremes to me looks white with some spots of yellow. No blue shows up ever. The only blue you see is when you are driving, in other words thats the beam of light that is actually placed on the road. Not what I've expected from PIAA. Seems like they just put some cheap coating and called it a day. I keep thinking that If I've waited 4 days, I could have gotten the Super Plasma's for the same price. At least they look purple to on-comming drivers but still makes for poor visibility. Which would you have? White/yellow to oncomming cars but blue beam pattern, or purple look for oncomming traffic with purple beam pattern? If you want a whiter beam, get the SW, at least they do look somewhat purplish to oncomming cars while producing a white beam pattern. If you want purple, get Raybrig or PIAA SP. For the price of $36, Nokya's are good if you want blue lights but mine burn't out in less than 4 months. Philips blue Vision is also a good deal if you want a brighter light.

I'll sell you my Xtremes for $30 if you want. It's only been on once and I took them out because I dislike them.
Old 07-31-2001, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by ScreamingVQ
I've had Nokya 9003 Artic White bulbs. They are blue and strickly blue. I just bought PIAA Xtremes. Biggest waste of $72 I've spent. You're better off with the Superwhites or Super Plasma. PIAA Xtremes to me looks white with some spots of yellow. No blue shows up ever. The only blue you see is when you are driving, in other words thats the beam of light that is actually placed on the road. Not what I've expected from PIAA. Seems like they just put some cheap coating and called it a day. I keep thinking that If I've waited 4 days, I could have gotten the Super Plasma's for the same price. At least they look purple to on-comming drivers but still makes for poor visibility. Which would you have? White/yellow to oncomming cars but blue beam pattern, or purple look for oncomming traffic with purple beam pattern? If you want a whiter beam, get the SW, at least they do look somewhat purplish to oncomming cars while producing a white beam pattern. If you want purple, get Raybrig or PIAA SP. For the price of $36, Nokya's are good if you want blue lights but mine burn't out in less than 4 months. Philips blue Vision is also a good deal if you want a brighter light.

I'll sell you my Xtremes for $30 if you want. It's only been on once and I took them out because I dislike them.
So is there any noticeable difference between teh PIAA Xtremes and the stock bulbs?
Old 07-31-2001, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by Ludacris

So is there any noticeable difference between teh PIAA Xtremes and the stock bulbs?
Somewhat, but not as much as I expected. They are white for sure, but you can still see hints of yellow.
Old 08-01-2001, 02:16 AM

$30...how much for shipping I live in LA. But first...do you think they're defective bulbs or thats how they all are and u just expected purple light?
Old 08-01-2001, 04:53 AM

Piaa Super Plasma H4
Piaa Ion Crystal H3
Old 08-01-2001, 08:41 AM

their should be no hint of yellow with the new Xtremes. The easy way to check, is to pull two cars together and walk 30 feet away. Look at the spread pattern on the ground and directly at the cars. One other way is to place two next to a garage door (lgt colored or white) and turn lights on showing color patern. PIAA is great about defective returns and replacements, so if you have a receipt sent them for replacement. I still have a set of Super Plasma's as backup but believe the Xtremes are brighter and more attractive. They do not show any yellow and are a super light aqua not the fake blue that everybody knows are cheap no name bulbs.

I have PIAA platniums on my other car and the light is completetly clear with no hints of yellow, blue, purple, or rainbow effect of cheap bulbs. If you are looking for a nice upgrade these will also work fine.
Old 08-01-2001, 10:20 AM

Whats' the best place to purchase them, web-site? I want the PIAA Extremes.
Old 08-01-2001, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by Silvermist
Whats' the best place to purchase them, web-site? I want the PIAA Extremes.
www.autobulbdepot.com
or
www.autosupermart.com
Old 08-01-2001, 02:57 PM

Thanks for all the info killrwheels...now I know for sure it was the PIAA Xtreme Whites I wanted...Do you think I should pay the $30 for ScreaminVQs "yellowish" Xtremes or just buy them new for $62?
Old 08-01-2001, 03:08 PM

the stock ones rule
Old 08-01-2001, 03:15 PM

PIAA Q

Aren't the Xtreme series in the Platinum family (as per the PIAA site)? If not what's the difference - I was just about to order the Xtremes because their site claims they are the closest to HID.
Old 08-01-2001, 05:11 PM

PIAA Xtremes are new to the US market, they were out in Japan previously. The Platniums are a seperate item and came about over two years ago. I've had mine for 18 months on wifes car. Simple:

Factory bulbs ---quite yellow, bright
Platniums ---clear, no color (50 state legal)
Super Plasmas ---amazing purple, darker than factory
Xtremes ---hint of aqua, bright lighting
Yellow-Ion ---matches factory bulb/lemonish

new versus used have no real bearing other than cost if one goes bad in mailing versus warranty associated with purchase through dealer.
Old 08-01-2001, 07:15 PM

Aqua?

I think I saw them on an Accord this evening. No thanks, I'll get Platinums. Much thx for the info.
Old 08-01-2001, 07:20 PM

Re: Aqua?

Originally posted by pjandres
I think I saw them on an Accord this evening. No thanks, I'll get Platinums. Much thx for the info.
What color did it look like? turquoise? i hope not...
Old 08-01-2001, 08:37 PM

their should be no hint of yellow with the new Xtremes. The easy way to check, is to pull two cars together and walk 30 feet away. Look at the spread pattern on the ground and directly at the cars. One other way is to place two next to a garage door (lgt colored or white) and turn lights on showing color patern. PIAA is great about defective returns and replacements, so if you have a receipt sent them for replacement. I still have a set of Super Plasma's as backup but believe the Xtremes are brighter and more attractive. They do not show any yellow and are a super light aqua not the fake blue that everybody knows are cheap no name bulbs.

I have PIAA platniums on my other car and the light is completetly clear with no hints of yellow, blue, purple, or rainbow effect of cheap bulbs. If you are looking for a nice upgrade these will also work fine.
Damn, I guess I got some defective ****. What do I do now? return them or email PIAA? what? My receipts says "PIAA SUPER PLASMAS" instead of Xtremes. That really ****es me off.
Old 08-02-2001, 10:09 AM

Send them back to PIAA with an explanation of error. Are you sure your factory foglights are not blending yellow into the pattern?? Turn off fogs and then look at spread from 30 feet prior to returning. Check out www.piaa.com for address and information as necessary. I'm sure that they will replace with what you want, especially if you state that purchase was made on the ad campaign in which they designate "Xtremes are closest to HID" and throw an ad in envelope for good measure. Its in Motor Trend, Automobile, and Car and Driver this month alone......
Old 08-02-2001, 11:15 AM

When I put Xtreme whites in the headlights will the car look funky with the stock yellowish fogs?
Old 08-02-2001, 01:36 PM

If you can afford it, buy both at the same time. H4's on top and h3's on the bottom.

I currently run the Yellow-Ion PIAA's (lemon color) in the fogs and am happy with brightness but wish they matched the yellow of the IS300 better. I will probably put Xtremes in the future, but not a top concern.

Fogs are harder to install, but worth the effort. The stock bulbs suck !! Email me seperately for direction or use search up top as I have posted how to before .....

Heres a picture of the car, but unfortunately to bright in Florida for lights...maybe I'll get a picture this weekend.
Old 08-02-2001, 06:06 PM

Send them back to PIAA with an explanation of error. Are you sure your factory foglights are not blending yellow into the pattern?? Turn off fogs and then look at spread from 30 feet prior to returning. Check out www.piaa.com for address and information as necessary. I'm sure that they will replace with what you want, especially if you state that purchase was made on the ad campaign in which they designate "Xtremes are closest to HID" and throw an ad in envelope for good measure. Its in Motor Trend, Automobile, and Car and Driver this month alone......
I emailed their customer service center. They gave me a number for the warrenty department and said they will further assist me. They said my bulb, from my discription, is defective. They really do have a great customer service. Very prompt!
Old 08-02-2001, 06:12 PM

Do i have to re aim the bulbs?
Old 08-03-2001, 06:41 PM

Panasonic H4 HID Kit
Piaa H3 Super Whites for fogs
As for brightness... can't bet it!
Old 08-03-2001, 08:55 PM

I just got off the phone with a PIAA warrenty representative. They said that this was the first case they've heard of. They are sending me another pair of bulbs but I don't think I'm gonna keep them. If anyone wants to buy them, I'll selling them for $75 brand new and I'll pay for Shipping and Handling. If you want my other used bulbs, I'll sell them for $25 and I'll pay for S and H also. Or I will trade for new or slightly used, 2 times or less PIAA Super Plasma's or Plasma Blue.

These bulbs are PIAA Xtreme White Bulbs. PIAA also suggested that the used bulbs may not be defected, it might be that my wiring is drawing more current than necessary and is making the bulb not appear blue.

Who knows?
Old 08-20-2001, 01:47 AM

Sounds like Stock bulbs aren't too bad afterall.
Old 08-20-2001, 10:22 AM

BVs all the way! They might not be as white as the Extremes but the visibility's incredible.

If you want HID quality then why don't you wait to see if the 2k2 HIDs would work out? It's apparently cheaper than the aftermarket HID kits and it'll definitely outshine the PIAAs.