5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Please read I need help, where does this hose go????

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2001, 02:44 PM

Please read I need help, where does this hose go????

Pleas look at this picture, I took off the stock intake to make my oscai. I do not know what this hose connects to. I have a 5speed, it looks like it goes to the tranny. Please respond!!

Pics would be helpful also!

Thanks so much!

Ray Nist
Old 08-05-2001, 02:50 PM

I too have a 'hose that goes nowhere', its in a bracket right next to the air breather hose, but mine doesn't look like it goes toward the tranny. It ends right next to my tranny fluid dipstick. Sorry I couldn't help.
Old 08-05-2001, 02:51 PM

Re: Please read I need help, where does this hose go????

Originally posted by raynist
Pleas look at this picture, I took off the stock intake to make my oscai. I do not know what this hose connects to. I have a 5speed, it looks like it goes to the tranny. Please respond!!

Thanks so much!

Ray Nist

I was worried too when I installed my CAI ... don't worry it doesn't go to anything. I think its just a blow off or something. It just sits there and attaches to nothing.
Old 08-05-2001, 02:54 PM

Thanks

Man I was scared!!

I should have taken a pic before I did anything. I will post pics of my OSCAI when I am done. I did something a little different than most.

Thanks Again!

Ray Nist
Old 08-05-2001, 03:06 PM
Got Bent?

Isn't that the crankcase ventilator? It doesn't go anywhere...
Old 08-05-2001, 06:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Please read I need help, where does this hose go????

Thanks so much!

Ray Nist
Raynist;

I have this also. When I asked the dealer about it, they said it was the A/C vent (the tube where the condensation drips from)...I said that's kind of a weird place considering that the water would have to travel up from below the tranny before being expelled right into the middle of the engine bay (I want to meet an engineer that would design something like that)...the rep kind of stuttered and moved on...so who knows what it is
Old 08-05-2001, 07:51 PM

Re: Thanks

Man I was scared!!

I should have taken a pic before I did anything. I will post pics of my OSCAI when I am done. I did something a little different than most.

Thanks Again!

Ray Nist
Raynist, Looking at your sig. Whats this I see removed intake screen?? I don't know if that was a good move. Don't want bugs to go streight into your throttle body. that screen protects large objects from going inside the throttle body.
Old 08-05-2001, 07:56 PM

Re: Re: Thanks

Originally posted by PIONEER

Raynist, Looking at your sig. Whats this I see removed intake screen?? I don't know if that was a good move. Don't want bugs to go streight into your throttle body. that screen protects large objects from going inside the throttle body.
actually considering this screen is immediately after the air filter you'd only get bugs and what not in there if there was a large hole somewhere. It serves mainly to straighten out the air flow before it hits the maf so that the maf can work properly...
Old 08-05-2001, 11:10 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

If a bug gets through, it can take out the sensor... which means bling bling out of your pocket.
Old 08-06-2001, 04:49 AM
Got Bent?

if a bug gets through, then your air filter is not doing its job since it has a big hole in it....
Old 08-06-2001, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
if a bug gets through, then your air filter is not doing its job since it has a big hole in it....
well wouldn't you rather be safe and keep that screen in just in case it didn't do its job ... rather than possibly pay for a new MAF, and all the other hell that bug will cause in your engine

Me personally ... **** happens and one hard bump could knock my air filter off the CAI tubing then its a straight shot to the throttle body with no screen. I'll just play it safe. I already voided my warranty with the CAI so I don't need to go tempting fate.
Old 08-06-2001, 08:35 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by ispeed

well wouldn't you rather be safe and keep that screen in just in case it didn't do its job ... rather than possibly pay for a new MAF, and all the other hell that bug will cause in your engine
yes, I agree with you... that is why my MAF screen is still there
Old 08-06-2001, 09:08 AM

The MAF screen has been removed from my 2 mustangs since 1991, over 200k miles and no problems. It has been off my Maxima for over a year (17k miles).
Old 08-06-2001, 09:28 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I've actually seen a few bugs on another Max's MAF screen. Imagine what would happen if they happen to take out that metal thingy while being sucked into the black hole.

It does no harm to performance and can only help.
Old 08-06-2001, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
I've actually seen a few bugs on another Max's MAF screen. Imagine what would happen if they happen to take out that metal thingy while being sucked into the black hole.

It does no harm to performance and can only help.
If bugs and things get through the air filter, I think sand or dirt could as well. I bug would disintegrate in the combustion process, but a piece of sand would score the cylinder wall. The screen is not going to stop a piece of sand. I think the screen on the maxima is the exact same one that was on my mustang. I know I can get them from Ford. I plan on dynoing the Max at some time in the future. I will try to do a before and after to see if it makes a diff.

--Ray