5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

bose audio question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 12:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a bose system in my 01 max. However unlike every1 says bose is awesome, i find it rather dissapointing. It doesnt sound like 200 watts at all! I mean it sounds good, but it is definately not loud enough for me. So i want to ask for some help on how i can make it louder without changing the face, i mean i paid extra $$ for this option it would be stupid to get rid of the system. but how can i make it louder without blowing out the speakers. Also will it void my waranty.
Old 08-07-2001, 01:14 PM

I'm really not the sound expert but I was talking to a friend who was buying a new maxima. The BOSE sound system is excellent, the company is very good with home entertainment, etc. The speakers from what I hear are like good with details or classical/opera music. But if you want your system to bump or be really loud with rap, techno, etc. you need an aftermarket sub or speakers. I have no idea how to make yours louder...
Old 08-07-2001, 01:19 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

There is an adapter that will allow you to keep the bose headunit and replace all the speakers and amps with good aftermarket stuff.

This is pretty much your only option.
Old 08-07-2001, 05:27 PM

Here's the way

Originally posted by zgrm100
I have a bose system in my 01 max. However unlike every1 says bose is awesome, i find it rather dissapointing. It doesnt sound like 200 watts at all! I mean it sounds good, but it is definately not loud enough for me. So i want to ask for some help on how i can make it louder without changing the face, i mean i paid extra $$ for this option it would be stupid to get rid of the system. but how can i make it louder without blowing out the speakers. Also will it void my waranty.
As far as I know the Bose system (head unit by Clarion) uses low impedance speakers. I think they are 2.5 ohms or so. The lower impedance allows for more power output...
ie. V=i*R and i*i*R = power. The less the resistance the more the current.

Also I believe Nissan has wired this system to have an amp at each speaker. I haven't opened the door up yet to see but it may be possible. I know the rear sub. definitely has its own amp. To solve the problem you will need to take the output of each amp and put it into a HIGH IN to LINE OUT convertor capable of taking the power. Then the LINE OUT of this would feed into whatever amp and speaker you want. You will need to either put an amp in for each speaker or you will need to run a butt-load of wires around to a centralized amp somewhere in the car.

I recommend just putting in a nice sub...that would probably do you just fine.

Here's the directions on how to do it...

http://web2.iadfw.net/scutchen/max_faq/
goto "electrical" and then to the bottom of the page.

Good luck,

Paul
Old 08-07-2001, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg
There is an adapter that will allow you to keep the bose headunit and replace all the speakers and amps with good aftermarket stuff.

This is pretty much your only option.
what is this adapter called?
Old 08-08-2001, 12:14 AM

I have this adapter on my car. I will look in it tomorrow and tell you. I just had my system installed yesterday.
Old 08-08-2001, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by augie
I have this adapter on my car. I will look in it tomorrow and tell you. I just had my system installed yesterday.
thats amazing, can u tell me what u added and everything, and how it sounds different? thanks...
Old 08-08-2001, 04:35 AM

Please get info on the Adapter

I want to dump the headunit ASAP, or even sell the full Bose system. What adapter do we need? Thanks!

GC
Old 08-08-2001, 12:25 PM

Well the adapter they added with my Bose system is in some clear little case, it has no brand.. and that goes from speaker to rca. Inside the hood, attached near the battery is a Stinger HPM series thing. I am a running a Pheonix Gold XS 2500 amp, with an Alumapro BP-12 inch subwoofer 250-400 watts max in the trunk thats inclosed in plexi glass. It has a great, tight, clean bass punch. Only thing is if you have a spoiler on your car its going to raddle. I have to add some padding underneath the spoiler. Other than that its all good. Keep the stock Bose unit, so when you take your mom or in-laws in your car, they won't have to wear ear plugs. Just switch the fader to the left and you will have the stock Bose system.
Old 08-09-2001, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by augie
Well the adapter they added with my Bose system is in some clear little case, it has no brand.. and that goes from speaker to rca. Inside the hood, attached near the battery is a Stinger HPM series thing. I am a running a Pheonix Gold XS 2500 amp, with an Alumapro BP-12 inch subwoofer 250-400 watts max in the trunk thats inclosed in plexi glass. It has a great, tight, clean bass punch. Only thing is if you have a spoiler on your car its going to raddle. I have to add some padding underneath the spoiler. Other than that its all good. Keep the stock Bose unit, so when you take your mom or in-laws in your car, they won't have to wear ear plugs. Just switch the fader to the left and you will have the stock Bose system.
So if i go to the store and need this adaptrer what shoould i tell them? And howcome the bose stereo in the 4th gen maximas, sounds a lot louder then ours?
Old 08-09-2001, 05:33 PM

Speaker Level to Line Level Converter

Actually there are so many brands out there that make these "Speaker Level to Line Level (or Pre-Amp) Converters" you can pretty much go into any audio store and they should be able to hook you up with one.

I have used some on my cars in the past and the last time I bought one it cost me about ten bucks. It had a Speaker Level Input Adjuster built right into it (I never used it just left it as it came)

Now I dunno whats your budget but if you can I would get an Amp that gives you a remote Sub Bass Level Controller Like the Rockford Fosgates and Kickers do, In my maxima I have a Rockford Fosgate amp hooked up to the line level inputs of the Factory BOSE woofer's amplifier in the trunk, the fosgate is powering a 12" Thunder 6000 sub. I installed Remote Bass Controller under the dash, when I am not in the mood for too much bass, I just turn it down or off (all the way down) then its just the bose system.

Thats all i needed cos the bose does an awesome job of the mids and highs. but it may not be enough for people who are into competition stuff.
Old 08-09-2001, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by zgrm100

So if i go to the store and need this adaptrer what shoould i tell them? And howcome the bose stereo in the 4th gen maximas, sounds a lot louder then ours?
Because the amps of the 4th gen at each of the 4 full range speakers are rated at 50watts, more power than ours. They can reach 107db (MotorTrend Article) before distortion. That is high for a factory system. I think the 5th generation Maxima is rated at only 35watts at each door speaker and 60watts for the back woofer.
Old 08-12-2001, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by ScreamingVQ

Because the amps of the 4th gen at each of the 4 full range speakers are rated at 50watts, more power than ours. They can reach 107db (MotorTrend Article) before distortion. That is high for a factory system. I think the 5th generation Maxima is rated at only 35watts at each door speaker and 60watts for the back woofer.
yes ive noticed. why is the sound system in the 4th gen maximas. bose im talking about. Sounds a lot loudet then the 5th gen ones
Old 08-13-2001, 02:14 AM

Originally posted by ScreamingVQ

The back woofer is 80 watts. So it would be 30W per speaker, but I calculated that without compensation for the front two tweeters. So, in actuality I guess it would be less than 30W per speaker.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bose system in my 05 maxima

I'm new so dnt beat me up.im trying rite now to unhook one of my speakers and hook up this ole 8in infinity sub I got can I and how?