5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Intermittent failure to start, P1320

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 08:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Intermittent failure to start, P1320

Recently I have begun to take care of my girlfriends 2001 Maxima 3.0.
As of the past month, the car has been throwing the code P1320 once a day, and sometimes will not start. The starter won't turn or anything. After trying to start the car a few times eventually the starter will run and the car will turn over just fine.
There are no other codes thrown.

I have read about checking the grounds and the starter and that the ignition coils are usually the culprit with this generation, so I am sure that I will end up replacing them with OEM coils. The car has 131k miles and they have never been replaced. I will probably end up checking plugs as well just because I am not sure when they were done last.

I am posting this thread to ask if anyone has any other suggestions I should take a look at, or if anyone has any personal experience dealing with P1320 with no misfire codes.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:44 AM

Assuming your battery is in good condition and your terminals are tight....

all the codes in the world won't mean anything if the starter is not turning. Focus on that first....you probably just need a new starter, check signal wire on starter when it is not turning, if you get power when you turn the key to start and no starter movement, your starter is bad. You can also try tapping the starter solenoid with whatever you have that will reach, while someone is turning the key to see if it starts to engage the flywheel. If it does, it means your ground is good, and your starter solenoid is sticking, time for a new starter.

After you get the engine running or at least the starter turning your engine, then you focus on your codes

Last edited by fd3rew; 10-19-2020 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by fd3rew
Assuming your battery is in good condition and your terminals are tight....

all the codes in the world won't mean anything if the starter is not turning. Focus on that first....you probably just need a new starter, check signal wire on starter when it is not turning, if you get power when you turn the key to start and no starter movement, your starter is bad. You can also try tapping the starter solenoid with whatever you have that will reach, while someone is turning the key to see if it starts to engage the flywheel. If it does, it means your ground is good, and your starter solenoid is sticking, time for a new starter.

After you get the engine running or at least the starter turning your engine, then you focus on your codes
As I said, it only happens once in a while. The code also gets thrown sometimes when the starter is working fine. That is what made me think it is the signal and not the starter. Ill check the signal on the starter to see if it is receiving it, but it's hard to do when I do not know when the car is going to start or not. There is no pattern.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by sphhax
As of the past month, the car has been throwing the code P1320 once a day, and sometimes will not start.
New coils will fix this. Buy them here https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...tion+coil,7060 - and only buy the Hitachi brand.
The starter won't turn or anything. After trying to start the car a few times eventually the starter will run and the car will turn over just fine.
Her car has an intermittent problem. If the car starts with a boost, then the battery is weak/bad. If not, the suspects are: the starter, the ignition switch, battery cables, or ground distribution.

I am posting this thread to ask if anyone has any other suggestions I should take a look at, or if anyone has any personal experience dealing with P1320 with no misfire codes.
Yes, I have personal experience. And new Hitachi coils fixed my problem.