5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Windshield washer nozzle blocked by FSTB??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 10:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My driver side nozzle is not squirting fluid correctly. I thought it was clogged but putting a pin through it did not make a difference. When I raised my hood it worked fine, but stopped working when I closed the hood. The passenger side squirts but nothing comes out of the driver side. The FSTB doesn't hit the tubing to the nozzle, however I wondered if the FSTB is pressing on the hood liner which is then pinching off the tubing to the driverside nozzle. I repositioned the tubing by moving it to the side a little to a different position along the hood liner. Now the nozzle works but seems too strong because it overshoots the windshield and sprays the car roof instead. The passenger side doesn't do this at all. What do you folks think? Has this happened to anybody else? How do I get the driver side nozzle to spray the windshield and not overshoot to the roof? I don't want to take off the FSTB.
Old 08-08-2001, 10:50 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

This has happened to a few people on this forum... I don't remember what they did to fix it.
Old 08-09-2001, 12:55 AM

I cut a notch in the hood liner where the fluid hose exits from underneath. This relieves any pressure the liner may cause on the hose.

I used a sewing needle carefully inserted into the nozzle to re-aim it.

Originally posted by y sleep
My driver side nozzle is not squirting fluid correctly. I thought it was clogged but putting a pin through it did not make a difference. When I raised my hood it worked fine, but stopped working when I closed the hood. The passenger side squirts but nothing comes out of the driver side. The FSTB doesn't hit the tubing to the nozzle, however I wondered if the FSTB is pressing on the hood liner which is then pinching off the tubing to the driverside nozzle. I repositioned the tubing by moving it to the side a little to a different position along the hood liner. Now the nozzle works but seems too strong because it overshoots the windshield and sprays the car roof instead. The passenger side doesn't do this at all. What do you folks think? Has this happened to anybody else? How do I get the driver side nozzle to spray the windshield and not overshoot to the roof? I don't want to take off the FSTB.
Old 08-09-2001, 02:22 AM

Oh my God!...I have had this same problem with mine, and never did i think that it was the STB. Come to think of it, it makes sense. This started for me when i came back from a trip to Arizona and i remember while i was there, there was this small "dust storm." I thought that it got cloged with dirt. Geezz...it makes sense because i installed my STB 2 days before i went there. Man i've messed with this thing for a long time and to think that i almost thought about paying the dealer $40 to check it out. Thanks for posting, now i have something to go by and hopefully will get this fix. Thanks
Old 08-09-2001, 10:35 AM

Thank you for the replies. I will do a search to see what has been written about this and maybe try to cut out some of the liner if repositioning the nozzle doesn't work. Thanks again, this forum is great.
y
Old 08-09-2001, 10:45 AM

I have the Courtsey Nissan FSTB. Perhaps this problem will not occur with the Stillen version because it is a flatter bar while the Courtesy Nissan version is more tubular and perhaps a little higher, therefore more likely to press on the liner. Just speculation, better get back to work.
Old 08-09-2001, 11:17 AM

From the forum search I did it seems that this is only happeneing with the Courtesy FSTB. Are you Stealin folks happy now?
Old 08-09-2001, 11:52 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

From the forum search I did it seems that this is only happeneing with the Courtesy FSTB. Are you Stealin folks happy now?
Yes, very.
Old 08-09-2001, 12:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You have my thanks as well.

I noticed mine wasn't squirting right just yesterday - and I recently installed the Courtesy bar!
Old 08-09-2001, 12:47 PM

Not that it matters much, but my bar is a Stillen (it was the only one available in August 1999) and still presses against the hood liner.

BTW, wear gloves if you're handling the edges of the liner - it cut some nasty slices in my finger!

Old 08-09-2001, 10:47 PM

Thank you

I stand corrected Rookwood. It looks by the prior posts that it is occurring more with the Courtesy FSTB but perhaps more people have that one than the Stealin' version. It's a minor annoyance that is fixable now that the cause is known. Just one thing to watch out for when that mod is done.
Old 08-10-2001, 07:30 AM

stealin'

my stealin' rubs on the headliner but not on the washer line.
Old 08-10-2001, 07:38 AM

..Because of this thread I tried mine last night.. and it didnt work!.. the passenger side sparayed, but my side didn't... I'll have to go look at it later...

I've got the stillen bar....
Old 08-10-2001, 10:11 AM

That clinches it. Either brand FSTB can block the driver's side nozzle.
Old 08-10-2001, 10:13 AM
Got Bent?

no problems with my FSTB.... I have a Courtesy bar
Old 08-10-2001, 12:31 PM

I said it can block not will block. It must be where the hose happens to be lying inside the liner. Since there is slack in the hose it there must be a way to reposition the hose that leads to the nozzle. When I moved the hose to one side, the nozzle oversprayed. After I drove the car, the nozzle stoped working so it must have shifted back into a compressed position. I will try to play with it to find a good spot, then use an adhesive or tape to keep it in place.
Old 08-10-2001, 12:55 PM

I noticed the headliner is rubbing against the FSTB. I have the stillen one as well. I also noticed that a part of the headliner is cracked. But no problem with the spraying. perhaps check the installment of the bar.
Old 08-15-2001, 04:38 AM

Well I took the hood liner out and rerouted the little hose to the nozle and now both are spraying. thanks for posting guys, and all this time I was wondering why it didn't work.
Old 08-15-2001, 11:35 AM

The bar is intalled fine (Thank you Turbo95Max). I redirected the hose under the liner and the nozzles are nowworking fine. I also made a small cut with scissors at along the liner area where the hose comes out to take the pressure off. If your liner is cracked it may have taken pressure off the hose? Anyway it's good to know that if the nozzles are not spraying incorrectly or asymmetrically it could be pressure from the liner/FTSB.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:22 AM

New to the ORG, I just installed a FSTB and my driver's side washer fluid nozzle was not working. Looks like this is the fix, this is a great forum...
Old 12-20-2002, 09:51 AM

I have the wanna be OBX FSTB. I've had this problem since the beginning of summer and knew it was the FSTB causing it. I'm just too lazy to fix it
Old 12-20-2002, 09:56 AM

Mine used to work fine.
Recently the driver side nozzle sprays the sunroof.
If I drive real fast, the spray bends into the windshield.
That is the only way I can correct it.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:00 AM

What is FSTB?
Old 12-20-2002, 10:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
no problems with my FSTB.... I have a Courtesy bar
ditto
Old 12-20-2002, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by martinf
What is FSTB?
Front Strut Tower Brace
Old 12-20-2002, 12:15 PM

Ok, so how do you exactly fix the problem again? B/c i have a '02 Max with the Stillen bar and i want to fix the problem right away. Anyone have pic. of the work?