5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help! Half my dash gauges went out

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 08:36 AM

Anyone know which fuse controls the dash gauges?
My tach, speedo, odometer and temp gauges went out while driving home in the rain.

...and this chart isn't helping.
Old 08-12-2001, 08:46 AM

Hmm...I wonder if water got into the system, since it was raining. I think the owners manual should contain a fuse chart, right? You can also remove the guage cluster and check the connections in the back.
Old 08-12-2001, 01:03 PM

Yup, water got into the system. I replaced the fuse 3 times... and it popped every time.

It works for about a second then the fuse blows. ...and now I can't even get out of park, I always gotta hit the shift lock release.

Also nearly got into an accident because I stalled on the highway and my steering wheel locked up. Fortunately I wasn't going that fast and managed to get her on the grass without incident.

I can hear the lecture from Nissan now... ugh...
Old 08-12-2001, 03:39 PM

10a fuse #12 for power at all times
10a fuse #30 for when ignitition switch turned to "on" or "start"

Note: This comes from the ESM
Old 08-12-2001, 04:13 PM

WTF!!!

Guess what guys... I got my dash gauges back. I guess it dried out a little and it came back to life.

I can see there is some exposed wiring on the some of the sensors on the intake. I'm going to tape them up so the don't get wet.

But now I got that stupid check engine light on now. Anyone know how to turn that off?
Old 08-12-2001, 04:26 PM
Got Bent?

leave the battery unplugged for a few hours or overnight..... should get rid of the light. If it comes back, then you may have a problem.
Old 08-12-2001, 07:51 PM

Well, I checked those wires again... and they are not exposed... so I just taped them up just for the hell of it.

I'm not sure what happened.

I was running fine in the rain for the past 2 days up till this morning.

Maybe some water got up to one of the sensors in the intake?

Could that cause my dash to short out?

Oh well, I realigned the CAI and taped up the sensors. I also tied down the loose cables and stuff.

Fuse #30 was the one that was popping... #12 was fine.

I'm hoping UMD's suggestion gets rid of that annoying check engine light.

Thanks Eric, Mdeal, and UMD! Hopefully things will be fine tomorrow.
Old 08-13-2001, 05:15 AM
Got Bent?

no problem man.... just let us all know if that fixes things
Old 08-13-2001, 08:43 AM

Nope, didn't work... gauges went out again after 5 minutes of driving. Gave up and drove to the dealer.

Started giving me the lecture... just said "Yeah, I know... just fix it."

What a sucky week this is starting out to be.
Old 08-13-2001, 08:58 AM
Adam01GXE

my gauges went out last week too. i took it to the dealer and they are ordering me a whole new cluster. from what the service manager told me, nissan has been having this problem on the sentras as well. the guy said that imne was the first max that he had seen it happen on, but that they had already replaced several on sentras. mine wasnt rain related, so i don't know if its the same situation or not. also, i haven't done anything in the engine bay yet, so it might not be the same.

get this though, i asked the guy, since he was ordering the whole cluster anyway, if he could swap the black gauges for the titanium ones. i figured since it was warranty work that he couldn't, but the guy told me the reason was that it would cost over a grand to rewire the car for the that cluster. i find it really hard to believe that there is that much of a difference between the gxe/gle gauges and the se ones in reagards to how they plug into the car. just my opinion though.

Old 08-15-2001, 05:36 AM

F*cking Intake Install

You guys will never guess what the problem was.

When those A-holes installed my CAI, they put a screw that was too long to hold the ground wire down. ...and for those of you that don't know the fuse box wires run directly under that. So it was only a matter of time that the long screw would wear out the shielding on those fusebox wires and short half my electrical system!

Thanks a lot Ultima Performance! They charged me double to do a SH*T job AND they scratched my car! I had to pay $300+ in diagnostics costs at Nissan to find out Ultima F*cked up BIG!

Any suggestions on what I should do?
Old 08-15-2001, 05:42 AM
Got Bent?

hmmm.... did the paperwork the service dept give you say that a screw caused the wire to be cut? If the problem is written out in detail, then you could try and show it to the guys who installed it and ask for some kind of compensation for their screw up.... but honestly, I don't know if they would be willing to work with you on this one.... good luck!
Old 08-15-2001, 06:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: F*cking Intake Install

Was the screw originally supplied by Place Racing? Ultima may have simply been following instructions using the provided stuff ... maybe other people with the PRCAI have experienced the same problem?

Originally posted by GXE Spoiler
You guys will never guess what the problem was.

When those A-holes installed my CAI, they put a screw that was too long to hold the ground wire down. ...and for those of you that don't know the fuse box wires run directly under that. So it was only a matter of time that the long screw would wear out the shielding on those fusebox wires and short half my electrical system!

Thanks a lot Ultima Performance! They charged me double to do a SH*T job AND they scratched my car! I had to pay $300+ in diagnostics costs at Nissan to find out Ultima F*cked up BIG!

Any suggestions on what I should do?
Old 08-15-2001, 07:24 AM

Re: Re: F*cking Intake Install

Originally posted by ohboiya
Was the screw originally supplied by Place Racing? Ultima may have simply been following instructions using the provided stuff ... maybe other people with the PRCAI have experienced the same problem?

I don't think the intake came with screws. I think they just f*cked up my CAI install because it was taking them too long. I waited there for 4 hours to install my CAI... even though I warned them about making that hole.

After I got it back after the intake install, I had to tighten the bolts that were on the CAI because they were not tight at all after I got home. My CAI was ready to fall off the engine. Also, they just put a loose piece of rubber on the intake so that it wouldn't hit the engine bay wall. I used one of the clamps to make sure that piece of rubber doesn't bounce around in my engine bay.

It was a Sh*t job... a few people from DTM said Sh*t job, my friends said it was a sh*t job, and EVEN MY SERVICE ADVISOR at NISSAN said it was a sh*t job.

LUCKILY I DIDN"T GET INTO AN ACCIDENT BECAUSE OF THEM! Scary sh*t when your steering locks up in the middle of the highway.

I liked Ultima before my CAI install... they did a great job on my drop. But on this CAI install, they suck BIG NUTTS!! They overcharged me for the install and they couldn't even do it right. I think they were more concerned about the time that it was taking than the quality of their work.

Thanks for the vent guys. I'll never let them work on my baby again.
Old 08-15-2001, 07:31 AM

Re: Re: Re: F*cking Intake Install

I don't think the intake came with screws. I think they just f*cked up my CAI install because it was taking them too long. I waited there for 4 hours to install my CAI... even though I warned them about making that hole.

After I got it back after the intake install, I had to tighten the bolts that were on the CAI because they were not tight at all after I got home. My CAI was ready to fall off the engine. Also, they just put a loose piece of rubber on the intake so that it wouldn't hit the engine bay wall. I used one of the clamps to make sure that piece of rubber doesn't bounce around in my engine bay.

It was a Sh*t job... a few people from DTM said Sh*t job, my friends said it was a sh*t job, and EVEN MY SERVICE ADVISOR at NISSAN said it was a sh*t job.

LUCKILY I DIDN"T GET INTO AN ACCIDENT BECAUSE OF THEM! Scary sh*t when your steering locks up in the middle of the highway.

I liked Ultima before my CAI install... they did a great job on my drop. But on this CAI install, they suck BIG NUTTS!! They overcharged me for the install and they couldn't even do it right. I think they were more concerned about the time that it was taking than the quality of their work.

sue there a$$es
Old 08-15-2001, 07:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: F*cking Intake Install

Everyone should be allowed to vent.

I'd give them a call and explain what happened. See what they say ... where r u & where r they btw? Do a lot of Max owners use their services?