5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Adding extra LED's to alarm

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 09:07 AM

I know Kev has done this and I think there are a few other that have as well. Talk to me here, were did you splice the wires for your LED's and what voltage LED's did you get?? Kev, did you drill into the dask to mount the LED's or are they in the A-pillar?? I can't tell by the pictures you have posted. Thanks for the info guys!!
Old 08-14-2001, 09:13 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Dustyroads
I know Kev has done this and I think there are a few other that have as well. Talk to me here, were did you splice the wires for your LED's and what voltage LED's did you get?? Kev, did you drill into the dask to mount the LED's or are they in the A-pillar?? I can't tell by the pictures you have posted. Thanks for the info guys!!
I used the clock wires for power. The LED's have 3 wires, 1) +, 2) -, and 3) security. Make sure you get 12V or else you might start blowing electrical stuff. I did no drilling, so it's just wedged against the A-pillar.
Old 08-14-2001, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

I used the clock wires for power. The LED's have 3 wires, 1) +, 2) -, and 3) security. Make sure you get 12V or else you might start blowing electrical stuff. I did no drilling, so it's just wedged against the A-pillar.
So did you pull out the clock and get to the wire behind it, or did you go elsewhere for the connections?? How did you run the wires for them, through the dash?? Hey, thanks for replying so fast!!
Old 08-14-2001, 09:27 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

So did you pull out the clock and get to the wire behind it, or did you go elsewhere for the connections?? How did you run the wires for them, through the dash?? Hey, thanks for replying so fast!!
You're welcome.

Yup, I pulled out the clock, spliced the wires, and ran it down under the dash. Not through the dash... under the dash (can be seen if you peep under the steering column).
Old 08-14-2001, 09:34 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Before anyone complains/comments/ridicules... yes, this is rice.
Old 08-14-2001, 10:16 AM

Re: .

yeah...but it just looks so damn good
Old 08-14-2001, 11:11 AM

Re: .

That's okaym it's acceptable rice, or at least I think it is acceptable. Might I ask what kind of LED's were they? Did you have to get some kind of special 3 lead LED's or something, since they take +,- and alarm?
Old 08-14-2001, 12:23 PM

they way i set up my leds...

i did that same a Kev.. with the power.. but i drilled 3 holes in mine.. one on each side of the clock, and one on the top... it look's pretty good.. lights up the cabin at night.. and will blind's u if u sit the drivers seat. ^^ but i just got the buld from radio shak.. they were 5volt blue leds.. i don't know the numbers for it.. but i can find them there.. and if your gonna drill ne thing.. get snap-in leb panel mounts # 276-079... happy lighting.....
Old 08-14-2001, 12:53 PM

Nice..thanks for the LED mounts...I will look for the LED's.
Old 08-14-2001, 12:59 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: .

That's okaym it's acceptable rice, or at least I think it is acceptable. Might I ask what kind of LED's were they? Did you have to get some kind of special 3 lead LED's or something, since they take +,- and alarm?
Jane and I got some while we were on vacation in Hong Kong. You can take a look at them in the lighting section of my homepage (there's also a short video clip if you're interested).
Old 08-14-2001, 01:44 PM

You damn importers!! That's cool, so basically I'm screwed!! You didn't happen to buy a whole shipment of those suckers and bring them back with you?? Well, I'll give the regular old LED's a try and we'll see what happens. Thanks again Kev and JKiMaxAC!!
Old 08-14-2001, 04:39 PM
RussMaxManiac

Okay, this still does not make sense. I need someone to help me out here.

Most LEDs have 2 pins, they are a diode basically.

Now I have never seen a 3 pin led, but obviously they have them.

Now explain this to me exactly how you hook it up to the clock? Do you tap into the clock or the led next to the clock? While your driving at night or anytime are the LED's still flashing? I don't want this to be irritating... Thanks

Old 08-14-2001, 04:56 PM
Used force to obtain Admin powers

You didn't happen to buy a whole shipment of those suckers and bring them back with you??
Greg, :X
Old 08-14-2001, 05:47 PM
RussMaxManiac

Just got back from RADIO Shack, and I looked at all there LED's. All there ONE color LEDs where 2 pins, all there mixed colored ones are 3 pins. Now tell me this. They had blue in the 2 pins, but they do not carry blue or mixed color with blue in it in a 3 pin configuration.

I need someone that can tell me HOW we can hook up these led's if they are 2 pins without making the other led's dim? Ideas?

Old 08-14-2001, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by Jane97SE

Greg, :X
Well...I have a :X right back at you there Jane!! Good to hear from you!!
Old 08-14-2001, 06:08 PM

Russ....I'm very sure you will only need the regular 5V 2 pin LED's. I'm sure the little LED net to the clock has two wires running to it. A ground and an alarm or power, whatever. It will moret han likely be a 5V wire so you can just splice into those 2 wires and add the LED's. I hope this helps. I'm going to work on this as well, so I'll let you know when I get some more information.
Old 08-14-2001, 06:34 PM
RussMaxManiac

Russ....I'm very sure you will only need the regular 5V 2 pin LED's. I'm sure the little LED net to the clock has two wires running to it. A ground and an alarm or power, whatever. It will moret han likely be a 5V wire so you can just splice into those 2 wires and add the LED's. I hope this helps. I'm going to work on this as well, so I'll let you know when I get some more information.

That won't work. Like I said before, it will cause the LED to become dim. I have done this in the past. It puts more load on the same voltage and cuts down on it. Must be another way.

Old 08-14-2001, 09:30 PM

Russ.. then even it out.

if u have a volt meter, find out the output of the wire.. and cut it in half.. if its a 5volt.. get 2, 2.5v leds.. i put 3, 5volt leds in with one 2.3ohm fuse that they have for leds.. i don't know wut it really dose.. but the guy at the radio sak told me that it even's out the power output... i dunno how.. but it works..
Old 08-14-2001, 09:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

nitro

I have two of those Nitro-blue ultra bright LEDs but haven't installed them yet.

I haven't decided where to put them, basically. Any thoughts? Front doors? front a-pillars?

I can tie them into an accessory wire so they flash when the ignition is turned off.. they have a built-in relay and third wire
Old 08-14-2001, 10:06 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: nitro

Originally posted by MaineI30
I have two of those Nitro-blue ultra bright LEDs but haven't installed them yet.

I haven't decided where to put them, basically. Any thoughts? Front doors? front a-pillars?

I can tie them into an accessory wire so they flash when the ignition is turned off.. they have a built-in relay and third wire
Front a-pillars or front doors would work really well. I like putting them on the a-pillar because they light up the whole thing.
Old 08-14-2001, 10:49 PM

Alright then Russ, then just get a lower voltage LED....I don't quite understand how adding 2 LED's would make the current drop that significantly this is of course presuming that you wired the LED's in parallel, if you for some reason wired them in series, they will be much dimmer. There should be plenty of supply current in the 5V line to supply multiple LED's, but since you have had problems with it in the past, I would say get these LED's and you should be set. They are lower voltage and they should do you just fine. Here's the Radio Shack part numbers: 900-8005, they are kind of expensive though. I hope this helps!!
Old 08-15-2001, 05:36 AM
RussMaxManiac

Okay got the # thanks. Also what about those plastic inserts that you use to stick th e led into, then into the hole that you drilled? Radio shack didn't have those at all. Ideas? Also, the wiring. Basically you mean taping into each tire and go into the new led. I forget though, which side of the new LED do I need to go into, the one with the flat part, or the other? It's been a long time since I was in electronics! lol

Alright then Russ, then just get a lower voltage LED....I don't quite understand how adding 2 LED's would make the current drop that significantly this is of course presuming that you wired the LED's in parallel, if you for some reason wired them in series, they will be much dimmer. There should be plenty of supply current in the 5V line to supply multiple LED's, but since you have had problems with it in the past, I would say get these LED's and you should be set. They are lower voltage and they should do you just fine. Here's the Radio Shack part numbers: 900-8005, they are kind of expensive though. I hope this helps!!

Old 08-15-2001, 06:13 AM

Well, if you got a 5mm LED you can get a 5mm LED holder. Check out http://www.radioshack.com/ and search for this part number 276-079. This is a 5mm LED holder, they have other size holder as well, so you can get a different size LED and the appropriate holder. Let us and especially me know how it goes, I will be doing this soon as well, perhaps even this evening, but I'm not sure...I'll let you know if I run into any problems. Oh if you look at the LED, usually the longer lead is the (+) lead, also you can look through the diode and look for the lead that has a dark marking on it. That indicates the positive side. Also, if you power the LED up and it doesn't work then switch it around, but I'm pretty sure I remember that correctly. I'll check on the polarity and get back to you.
Old 08-15-2001, 08:41 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: nitro

Front a-pillars or front doors would work really well. I like putting them on the a-pillar because they light up the whole thing.
Where specifically on the a-pillar would you put them? Against the windshield side? Would you cut a hole? Where would you cut the hole? What is the meaning of life?
Old 08-15-2001, 09:18 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: nitro

Originally posted by MaineI30

Where specifically on the a-pillar would you put them? Against the windshield side? Would you cut a hole? Where would you cut the hole? What is the meaning of life?
I wedged them between the dash and the pillar so they're somewhat parallel to the pillars. No cutting or drilling was necessary.

You will know the meaning of life once you know how to live.
Old 08-15-2001, 09:02 PM
RussMaxManiac

I ordered 4 LED's today from Radio Shack. Man those damn things are expensive. I ordered 2 extra in case I screw up. But if not I can use them somewhere else . Anyways, they will be here in 3-5 days suposely!

Let me know what you got so far in your install.

Old 08-15-2001, 10:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't understand or can't picture what we're trying 2 do here ... Kev ... I looked @ your page ... but all I see is a black pic with some blue lites ... have a daytime pic? Are we actually putting in new lites or just changing from red to blue?
Old 08-15-2001, 10:52 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by ohboiya
I don't understand or can't picture what we're trying 2 do here ... Kev ... I looked @ your page ... but all I see is a black pic with some blue lites ... have a daytime pic? Are we actually putting in new lites or just changing from red to blue?
The are in addition to the red LED on the clock. There's not really much to see in the daytime.

You know the little gap between the a-pillar and the dash? Imagine a blue LED wedged between... pointing upwards.