5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Guess What? '02 HIDs FIT!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 04:04 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: Re: UPDATE!!!!!

Originally posted by ohboiya

so when is your labour day? i'm anxious LOL
If I had the money I would drive up to Austin, Dave can get a car for me to use the meter on and test all the lines and compare them to mine then draw pictures of each for you. But damn, I don't have the time to get up there during the day, only at night

Old 08-17-2001, 08:57 PM

keep it up ..great job guys
me like it.. hmm GB please
Old 08-17-2001, 11:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Adding my voice to the choir

I definately want to have HID's on my car. I'll buy them at soon as it is worked out.
Old 08-18-2001, 01:52 AM

I don't particularly like the '02 lights...

I think the totally clear plastic from '01 is much classier.
Old 08-18-2001, 02:43 AM

i can't decide which is a better deal. to get the 2k2 lights or wait till you guys get em and get a good deal on some used panasonics or phillips.
i guess i'll have to wait and see.
Old 08-18-2001, 08:34 AM

I'd like to see some type of harness, pigtail, or "go between" piece before hacking on my wires. Do keep us posted and good luck.
Old 08-18-2001, 12:06 PM

DaveB...................
add me to your list if this all works out with the wiring.

(you are keeping a list aren't you?)
PM me when the wiring is figured out.
thanks maxima.org and all here for keeping me up to date

oh and KEV...you got the nicest looking ride ever....
Old 08-18-2001, 11:00 PM

at $180 per side, and IF someone can make the wiring harness simple for the '00 to take the kit, I know I would sell my HIDs and get the new lens kit.
Old 08-19-2001, 01:32 AM

I went back to my dealership tonight where they have about 20 2k2s and checked out the lights in greater detail. They have 4 connectors in the back. one for each signal bulb, one for the high beam and one for the hid system. The harness for the hid is only 3 wires so im thinking 2 power wires and one ground. but who knows what comes before those wires like relays and starters or what.. I would guess that you could wire 1 pos from the h4 harness to the hid and the other pos to the high beam and they share the same ground. i think testing on a working 2k2 is nessesary to see what kind of power is being fed into what wire. If its just plain 12v into one wire and 12v into the other when you hit high beams then this will be EASY. The housing has one more connector than us though for the top corner light but could easily been wired into the side marker and the blinker for extra blinky action!! I think i might buy a set and do my own testing.... Alex let me know what you think or have found out.

Adam
Old 08-19-2001, 03:34 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by 2000MaximaSE
I went back to my dealership tonight where they have about 20 2k2s and checked out the lights in greater detail. They have 4 connectors in the back. one for each signal bulb, one for the high beam and one for the hid system. The harness for the hid is only 3 wires so im thinking 2 power wires and one ground. but who knows what comes before those wires like relays and starters or what.. I would guess that you could wire 1 pos from the h4 harness to the hid and the other pos to the high beam and they share the same ground. i think testing on a working 2k2 is nessesary to see what kind of power is being fed into what wire. If its just plain 12v into one wire and 12v into the other when you hit high beams then this will be EASY. The housing has one more connector than us though for the top corner light but could easily been wired into the side marker and the blinker for extra blinky action!! I think i might buy a set and do my own testing.... Alex let me know what you think or have found out.

Adam
Close, but NO cigar. Actually, the stock H4 only has ONE power wire. The other two are grounds that are switched between ground and open with the HIGH/LOW beam switch.

This is VERY simple. I have EVERYTHING solved, but HOW THE HIDs 3-pin plug recieves power and ground. I need the housing and maybe a 2K2 to verify this. Otherwise, I will try my best guess and I could ruin the HIDs, but that's just my negative side of looking at things. Most likely, Nissan didn't change their philosophy on "negative ground" control of most electrical components. Basically, everything has a power wire and a short on the ground side due to an open switch. Once you or another system close the switch the circuit is completed.

Adam,
Do you think you could get a test drive for 15-minutes ALONE with a 2k2? I need someone to take a volt meter and test the 3-pin connector on the HIDs harness-side. You unplug the 3-pin connector and probe ALL three terminals of the FEMALE side(wiring to the firewall) of the wiring harness to determine the switching of power and ground to the HIDs male 3-terminals.
Old 08-19-2001, 09:14 PM

I must say you both are awesome!!! thanks for taking the time to get this figured out. we all really appreciate it.
Old 08-19-2001, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Adam,
Do you think you could get a test drive for 15-minutes ALONE with a 2k2? I need someone to take a volt meter and test the 3-pin connector on the HIDs harness-side. You unplug the 3-pin connector and probe ALL three terminals of the FEMALE side(wiring to the firewall) of the wiring harness to determine the switching of power and ground to the HIDs male 3-terminals.
Like i said i just assumed, luckily you actually know whats going on. Ya ill go down to the dealership tomorrow armed with my multimeter and just go at it. It should only take 5 min to get the readings and record them,if they say anything about it **** em... The dealership is layed out like a big U with most of the cars in the back, ill just jump back there and do my testing and if they say anything ill just explain to them whats up.

Adam
Old 08-19-2001, 11:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm sure Dave B won't mind doing this 4 us ... he wants this 2 work 4 us!
Old 08-19-2001, 11:43 PM

God I just love how dedicated everyone at this forum is- U guys are awesome.

Close, but NO cigar. Actually, the stock H4 only has ONE power wire. The other two are grounds that are switched between ground and open with the HIGH/LOW beam switch.

This is VERY simple. I have EVERYTHING solved, but HOW THE HIDs 3-pin plug recieves power and ground. I need the housing and maybe a 2K2 to verify this. Otherwise, I will try my best guess and I could ruin the HIDs, but that's just my negative side of looking at things. Most likely, Nissan didn't change their philosophy on "negative ground" control of most electrical components. Basically, everything has a power wire and a short on the ground side due to an open switch. Once you or another system close the switch the circuit is completed.

Adam,
Old 08-20-2001, 06:40 AM
sixman

As many before have said, the work being done by a few on this subject is great. Thanks to all who are spending their time to figure this out.

Now a few questions: Is the HID lamp the low beam (should be since you do not want HID lamp going on and off everytime you need to switch high beams on and off)? When the high beams are on do the HIDs remain on as well? IS the new turn signal lamp single or dual element and can the sidemarker rewire (to blink in conjunction with the turn signal) work?

I hope Dave B can order a lot of sets because there might be a very big demand soon.

Old 08-20-2001, 06:46 AM
sixman

As many before have said, the work being done by a few on this subject is great. Thanks to all who are spending their time to figure this out.

Now a few questions: Is the HID lamp the low beam (should be since you do not want HID lamp going on and off everytime you need to switch high beams on and off)? When the high beams are on do the HIDs remain on as well? IS the new turn signal lamp single or dual element and can the sidemarker rewire (to blink in conjunction with the turn signal) work?

I hope Dave B can order a lot of sets because there might be a very big demand soon.

Old 08-20-2001, 06:59 AM
sixman

Old 08-20-2001, 08:15 AM

Like i said i just assumed, luckily you actually know whats going on. Ya ill go down to the dealership tomorrow armed with my multimeter and just go at it. It should only take 5 min to get the readings and record them,if they say anything about it **** em... The dealership is layed out like a big U with most of the cars in the back, ill just jump back there and do my testing and if they say anything ill just explain to them whats up.

Adam
AWESOME!!!!! Thanks Adam!

Are you sure you know what plug and wires I'm talking about?
Old 08-20-2001, 09:05 AM

He would, BUT......

I'm sure Dave B won't mind doing this 4 us ... he wants this 2 work 4 us!
His dealership only got ONE '02 and his sales manager already bought it. So, he doesn't have one to test with.
Old 08-20-2001, 01:57 PM

AWESOME!!!!! Thanks Adam!

Are you sure you know what plug and wires I'm talking about?
I know exactly which one, there is only 3 plugs and 2 of them are for signal lights. Its the white plug on the main harness. no problem. Ill go down there in the next hour. Im gonna call ahead first and see if they will let me take one off the lot for a little bit.

Adam
Old 08-20-2001, 02:34 PM

I know exactly which one, there is only 3 plugs and 2 of them are for signal lights. Its the white plug on the main harness. no problem. Ill go down there in the next hour. Im gonna call ahead first and see if they will let me take one off the lot for a little bit.

Adam
best wear running shoes... so you can spring to your car when that sales manager storms after you..
Old 08-20-2001, 03:08 PM

Adam
Great! I'm betting one of the terminals is a positive and the other two are negatives, but which are which and when they each close to ground is what I need to know. I got my fingers crossed and I'll chip in $5 for BAIL MONEY! LOL.
Old 08-20-2001, 03:44 PM
4drskyline

Great! I'm betting one of the terminals is a positive and the other two are negatives, but which are which and when they each close to ground is what I need to know. I got my fingers crossed and I'll chip in $5 for BAIL MONEY! LOL.
Anyone else here day-dreaming about carving up a twisty road at dusk.... XENONS blazing the pathway???? I think I DEFINITELY have a sickness! I am TOO excited.

Old 08-20-2001, 04:07 PM

Man i got shot down, they wouldnt let me take one off the lot by myself, being 19 sucks..... So im gonna go down there later tonight and just go at it untill they say somthing. It will only take 5 min to do.

Adam
Old 08-20-2001, 04:11 PM

Man i got shot down, they wouldnt let me take one off the lot by myself, being 19 sucks..... So im gonna go down there later tonight and just go at it untill they say somthing. It will only take 5 min to do.

Adam
zap the foo with the ballast.. thas my number one murder weapon after i get hid.. j/p
Old 08-20-2001, 04:11 PM
I'm needing a caw

1) try taking a look at the engine bay if you can flip the hood.

2) just tell them what you are doing. tell them that dealer might receive alot of parts orders if they let you just take a few measurements.
Old 08-20-2001, 06:08 PM

Hehe...this is awsome! Dang it, just right after I ordered the Vision Plus too!

Yeah, I would say be honest about it and tell the dealers what you are doing...I'm pretty sure they will okay it as long as someone is there with you.

Green
Old 08-20-2001, 09:52 PM

Ok i went down there tonight and tested the lights out. I used the car itself as the ground point for the testing. The 2 outside prongs are both 12v and the center is a ground. This was determined using the car as a ground. The wierd thing is this harness seems to have nothing to do with the high beam. With the harness completly unplugged the highbeam still comes on and there is no change in any of the prongs with the high beams on or off. I didnt use the center prong as the ground and i should have to see what would happen but i dont think anything would cuz like i said it appears the high beams work independant of the hids. Also when you hit the high beams the hids stay on.. I tested my own car too and the center was a ground, the right was 12v and the left was neg 12 vts so i dont know whats up.. What do you make of this info alex??

Adam
Old 08-20-2001, 10:23 PM

Ok i went down there tonight and tested the lights out. I used the car itself as the ground point for the testing. The 2 outside prongs are both 12v and the center is a ground. This was determined using the car as a ground. The wierd thing is this harness seems to have nothing to do with the high beam. With the harness completly unplugged the highbeam still comes on and there is no change in any of the prongs with the high beams on or off. I didnt use the center prong as the ground and i should have to see what would happen but i dont think anything would cuz like i said it appears the high beams work independant of the hids. Also when you hit the high beams the hids stay on.. I tested my own car too and the center was a ground, the right was 12v and the left was neg 12 vts so i dont know whats up.. What do you make of this info alex??
Adam
Ok. That's very helpful. Great job!!!

First, the easy part. I knew the HIGH beams were going to be independent of the LOW beams, however I didn't think Nissan would have BOTH on for HIGHs. I planned on doing this anyways for SUPER brights, so no biggie.

Second, the HID/Running lamp 3-pin connector. I guessed wrong. The center is negative and the outside 2-terminals are BOTH positive no matter whether the high or low beams are on. Right? I'm guessing, but I think one POSITIVE terminal is for the running lamp and the other POSITIVE is for the HIDs. Can have the running lamps on withOUT the HIDs? Adam, Did the running lamps turn on whenever the car was running, no matter whether the HIDs were on or not? They both MUST share the ground, so I'm not sure if they can work independently withOUT some relays turning on and off. This is starting to become clearer, but it's difficult imagining something I have only seen pictures of. Anyways, I'll chew on this tomorrow and think of anything else you might be able to help fill me in on. I just think I need to get the headlamp housings to figure out the rest of the details. Nothing is suprising yet, so I'm happy.

Again, Do the running lamps ONLY work when the HIDs are on? This doesn't seem how I would have wired them, but then again Nissan also "tried" to force the FOG LAMPS to only work with the LOW beams so I dunno.

Thanks Adam!!!!
Old 08-20-2001, 10:52 PM

Cont'd....

I know I may be getting ahead of myself, but here's what I think is possible so far.

First, 2-of-3 turn signals' wires will be spliced to the '02 housings to power the amber turn signals. Easy.

Second, we have a couple different ways to do this. Two are:
1)HIDs work ONLY on LOW-beams.
2)HIDs work BOTH on LOW and HIGH beams.

I like 2) better, but it requires more wires and two relays. However, it's VERY simple just connect the dots. Another reason I like 2) better is that since the '02s are this way, the 9005s which put out 60Watts and are probably not to bright and you need the HIDs to help.

Third, we have a couple diffent ways to do this also. Some are:
1)Always on.
2)On with side markers.
3)On with LOW beams.

I like 2) best and it seems the simplest way.
Old 08-20-2001, 11:06 PM

I just remembered!!!!!

The corner lamps of the 2K-2K1s have 3-wires. Therefore, you can use these to power BOTH the RUNNING-lamp and the TURN-signal. Yes, I hope this works out how I think, because it should make things A LOT simpler.

Adam,
We need to come up with a MALE 3-prong plug to make a "pig-tail" that plugs directly into the FEMALE H4 connector with three wires(one to each terminal).
Old 08-20-2001, 11:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

u r a genius!

did u major in engineering?

I think u should 'film' the install & post as an mpeg ...

tkx 4 your initiative!
Old 08-20-2001, 11:49 PM

u r a genius!

did u major in engineering?

I think u should 'film' the install & post as an mpeg ...

tkx 4 your initiative!
Yes, in Computer Engineering, not Electrical Engineering.

I actually hate electrical crap. I just love making my Max stand out from all the others, so I put up with the headache.
Old 08-21-2001, 04:36 AM

Re: I just remembered!!!!!

The corner lamps of the 2K-2K1s have 3-wires. Therefore, you can use these to power BOTH the RUNNING-lamp and the TURN-signal. Yes, I hope this works out how I think, because it should make things A LOT simpler.

Adam,
We need to come up with a MALE 3-prong plug to make a "pig-tail" that plugs directly into the FEMALE H4 connector with three wires(one to each terminal).
Ya no prob i can make one today if you want. How many wires should come off each prong??

Adam
Old 08-21-2001, 06:09 AM
sixman

If both the HIDs and the high beams are on at the same time, extra relays will be needed. The 2k lighting switch will only allow either the lows (HID) or highs to light, not both. What the switch does is provides the ground path for the low or high filiment in the H4 bulb (Terminal #1 is high beam ground, #2 is low beam ground , and #3 is power).

You may need to see if the lighting switch (buired in the steering wheel) and the control arm needs to be replaced.

Old 08-21-2001, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by sixman
If both the HIDs and the high beams are on at the same time, extra relays will be needed. The 2k lighting switch will only allow either the lows (HID) or highs to light, not both. What the switch does is provides the ground path for the low or high filiment in the H4 bulb (Terminal #1 is high beam ground, #2 is low beam ground , and #3 is power).

You may need to see if the lighting switch (buired in the steering wheel) and the control arm needs to be replaced.
Thanks, but we already know that. Powering/grounding/controlling the HIGH beams was not a problem, only how the HIDs recieved power and ground. However, with the info Adam got, I have all the pieces put together so it won't be a problem.
Old 08-21-2001, 08:26 AM

Re: Re: I just remembered!!!!!

Ya no prob i can make one today if you want. How many wires should come off each prong??

Adam
Just like the current H4s, we need one wire for EACH prong. I'd like to make a unit out of the three prongs, so it simply plugs in and you have less of a chance of something coming loose. However, with the "springs" in the FEMALE connector I'm not that worried.
Old 08-21-2001, 08:38 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Cont'd....

I know I may be getting ahead of myself, but here's what I think is possible so far.

First, 2-of-3 turn signals' wires will be spliced to the '02 housings to power the amber turn signals. Easy.

Second, we have a couple different ways to do this. Two are:
1)HIDs work ONLY on LOW-beams.
2)HIDs work BOTH on LOW and HIGH beams.

I like 2) better, but it requires more wires and two relays. However, it's VERY simple just connect the dots. Another reason I like 2) better is that since the '02s are this way, the 9005s which put out 60Watts and are probably not to bright and you need the HIDs to help.

Third, we have a couple diffent ways to do this also. Some are:
1)Always on.
2)On with side markers.
3)On with LOW beams.

I like 2) best and it seems the simplest way.
My votes are (because I am chomping at the bit on all of your progress)

1) Splicing is not really a big deal, as long as I know which SPECIFIC wires.
2) HID's work BOTH on LOW and HIGH (the little wiring, as long as it is specific does not scare me)
3) I don't understand what you are doing here?

Keep us all updated. Soon my night blindness will not bother me any more WOO HOOO! THanks for all the hard work guys.
Old 08-21-2001, 09:18 AM

Re: Re: Cont'd....

Originally posted by Colonel

My votes are (because I am chomping at the bit on all of your progress)

1) Splicing is not really a big deal, as long as I know which SPECIFIC wires.
2) HID's work BOTH on LOW and HIGH (the little wiring, as long as it is specific does not scare me)
3) I don't understand what you are doing here?

Keep us all updated. Soon my night blindness will not bother me any more WOO HOOO! THanks for all the hard work guys.
In 3), the running lamps(white bulb above the amber on 2K2) will turn on with the rest of the running lamps(side markers, tail lamps, fogs(if rewired)). If desired, you could make the running lamp turn on whenever the ignition is on, but I don't think I will do that, yet. I made the statement before I knew how these were being powered, so now it will be the same as the 2K1. However, at night you will only see a white running lamp instead of the ugly yellow corner.

The wiring will be clearly specified, so you don't have to worry about that. All you need to do is make sure you make 100% solid connections and protect everything possible with electrical tape, connectors, and wiring loom.
Old 08-21-2001, 10:25 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Re: Re: Cont'd....

In 3), the running lamps(white bulb above the amber on 2K2) will turn on with the rest of the running lamps(side markers, tail lamps, fogs(if rewired)). If desired, you could make the running lamp turn on whenever the ignition is on, but I don't think I will do that, yet. I made the statement before I knew how these were being powered, so now it will be the same as the 2K1. However, at night you will only see a white running lamp instead of the ugly yellow corner.

The wiring will be clearly specified, so you don't have to worry about that. All you need to do is make sure you make 100% solid connections and protect everything possible with electrical tape, connectors, and wiring loom.
Ahhh very nice. I understand now....Clear vs Yellow...Ummmm I vote yellow..LOL! NOT! Thanks for the explaination

Quick Reply: Guess What? '02 HIDs FIT!!!!