5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Guess What? '02 HIDs FIT!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2001, 03:11 AM

Re: Well I guess they DON'T fit. At least without a HAMMMNER!

Icey, for sure try to let us who have 2k2 hids on the way what you come up with . I took a look at your cardomain site just now. You live in Tucson, blech!! I was there last month with the old lady (parents), and phew! I was there for 4 days and hated that place. I noticed that there were not alot of 5thgen maxes while driving around with the father in-law. I also noticed the lack of higher-end Japanese and German cars. Lots of trucks though! I saw this billboard out there at some intersection. It had that kid from malcom in the middle (got milk?) right next to a Hooters sign! I just thought it was funny.. To all of those that go to Tucson, don't go to Tombstone unless you really gotta see it, or there is a free pot of gold waiting there for you..

Well Icey, let us know dude. The only thing I liked about Tucson was the lack of traffic, and the stop light cadence out there. take care..

Originally posted by IceY2K1
I'll see what I can do folks, but I think this is going to be a HARDCORE only mod.

So, I'm not sure I'm up to pulling out a HAMNER on her with only 6800 miles.
Old 09-03-2001, 11:09 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Looks GREAT!!!

No HAMMERING required!

Just need the 2K2 clip, but otherwise it worked the FIRST time.

Running lamps with running lamps. HIs with LOW beams and man are these AWESOME! I drove around 380+ miles TONIGHT and they were sweeeeeet! Damn I love these things. They make the front look MEAN A$$ agressive. I'll try and get a few pics up tonight, but definitely more details and pics tomorrow.

Again, NO HAMMERING required.
Old 09-03-2001, 11:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Looks GREAT!!!

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No HAMMERING required!

Running lamps with running lamps. HIs with LOW beams and man are these AWESOME! I drove around 380+ miles TONIGHT and they were sweeeeeet! Damn I love these things. They make the front look MEAN A$$ agressive. I'll try and get a few pics up tonight, but definitely more details and pics tomorrow.

Old 09-04-2001, 01:25 AM

No HAMMERING required!

very good!!! thanks for the info. can't wait to try it out myself. keep us up to speed ice. and thanks again for being our guinea pig.
Old 09-04-2001, 01:32 AM

Re: Re: Looks GREAT!!!

wow. so um. how hard is this to put together now? I wonder if I call a local dealer if he'll still having the old pricing?

Probably not as they have a link to maxima.org on the webpage...
Old 09-04-2001, 07:09 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Write up please?
Old 09-04-2001, 07:16 AM

I just noticed the two shots with the lights on. Why does one set look normal (kinda yellowish), ad the other a bright white (with a hint of purple. Kinda like my panasonic hid. )
Old 09-04-2001, 08:52 PM

Under Construction!

HID Shopping List: Here is MOST of the parts I needed.

INSTALL #1 Required:
1)14-gauge wire in different colors (Mostly Red/Black).
2)14-gauge wire connectors(OR optional supplies below).
3)Large bag of ¼-inch wire loom (~20ft).
4)Small bag of ½-inch wire loom (~3ft).
5)(1) roll of black electrical tape.
6)(2) 7.5 Amp blade-style fuses.
7)(2) inline SEALED fuse holders.
8)(1) bag of ZIP ties(~ 10-medium and 5-small).
9)(1) bag of 16-14 gauge MALE .250(1/4-inch) wire terminals(~ 4-10).
10)(1) bag of 16-14 gauge .250(1/4-inch) ring terminals(~ 5-10). Holes must fit bolts used as grounds to vehicle body.
11)(1) bag of 16-14 gauge FEMALE wire terminals(Need to fit Relays & MALE .250 wire terminals).
12)(1) Wire stripers/cutters.
13)(1) Wire crimper(NOT if you use shrink tubing instead of wire connectors).
14)(2) Dielectric grease tubes(~ 4-6 oz.).

INSTALL #2 Required(NOT COMPLETED YET!):
1)All required from Install #1.
2)(2) 12-Volt 30-Amp 4-terminal Naturally open(Hella #87106 or Bosch similar are BEST). Click here for (2)Hella Relays for around $20 shipped: http://www.classicgarage.com/hellarelay.html

Optional Supplies:
1)Soder gun & soder.
2)3M 1/8-inch Heat Shrink Tubing(3-ft).
3)3M 3/8-inch Heat Shrink Tubing(3-ft).
4)3M ½-inch Heat Shrink Tubing(~1ft).
5)(1) Barbecue lighter or Heat Shrink gun(Don’t use regular lighter, they MELT!).
6)Relay holder
7)Fuse block from battery POSITIVE terminal to (2)14-gauge wires(Not necessary but cleaner install and safer then two inline fuse holders).
Old 09-04-2001, 09:59 PM

Nice picture Ice
Anybody want to set up a group buy?
$700 per piece is killing me.
Old 09-04-2001, 10:16 PM

Re: Re: Well I guess they DON'T fit. At least without a HAMMMNER!

Originally posted by 73tiiguy
Icey, for sure try to let us who have 2k2 hids on the way what you come up with . I took a look at your cardomain site just now. You live in Tucson, blech!! I was there last month with the old lady (parents), and phew! I was there for 4 days and hated that place. I noticed that there were not alot of 5thgen maxes while driving around with the father in-law. I also noticed the lack of higher-end Japanese and German cars. Lots of trucks though! I saw this billboard out there at some intersection. It had that kid from malcom in the middle (got milk?) right next to a Hooters sign! I just thought it was funny.. To all of those that go to Tucson, don't go to Tombstone unless you really gotta see it, or there is a free pot of gold waiting there for you..

Well Icey, let us know dude. The only thing I liked about Tucson was the lack of traffic, and the stop light cadence out there. take care..

Actually, I recently moved to "Oro Valley". An up-scale suburb of Tucson. I see WAY to many Maximas and most are the same color as mine, but AUTOs of course. Two people have 2K1s at my work and one is IDENTICAL in color, interior, and options except it has an AUTO. I actually saw (3)AE Maximas last week in one day. The local Nissan must be clearing them out for the 2K2s or something, because I used to only see one AE Maxima every now and then.
Old 09-05-2001, 09:20 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Unsticking the thread.......
Old 09-05-2001, 10:28 AM

Hey Icey, when u get a chance to do the How To, can u include all the parts and tools u used and whatever we need. Thanks a whole lot. Great looking car. Nice and clean.
Old 09-05-2001, 05:45 PM
OldNewbie

Thanks loads to you and all others for the great work.
Read Dixit's page and still have one big problem.
I'm not as interested in the appearance of the 2K2 lights
as I am with light coverage pattern which I find to be
totally sub-standard in the OEMs - especially foreground
and side illumination when on HI-beams - on narrow roads
at high speed. Seeing ahead on corners is a ***** also. I
may have missed it in the earlier posts, but is there any way to have HIs and LOs on together without burning up the system? - like most competent sport sedans. Just wonderin

No HAMMERING required!

Old 09-05-2001, 06:18 PM

Re: Re: Looks GREAT!!!

Originally posted by OldNewbie
Thanks loads to you and all others for the great work.
Read Dixit's page and still have one big problem.
I'm not as interested in the appearance of the 2K2 lights
as I am with light coverage pattern which I find to be
totally sub-standard in the OEMs - especially foreground
and side illumination when on HI-beams - on narrow roads
at high speed. Seeing ahead on corners is a ***** also. I
may have missed it in the earlier posts, but is there any way to have HIs and LOs on together without burning up the system? - like most competent sport sedans. Just wondering
No problems there. These are very BRIGHT on LOs AND HIs. I currently have BOTH HIDs and 9005s for HI beams and there is no problem with the system being able to support it.

The HIs are very powerful and light up the road FAR ahead. Once I run the relays and PIAA 9005 bulbs I'm expecting it to be even better. Again, these kick the $hit out of the stock headlamps and are not annoying to other drivers. The stock headlamps used a prism effect to direct light in many directions, but this is not the case with the '02 headlamps. They stock headlamps produced a "scattered" beam that had a kind of spider-web effect on the sides. This was adequate but not even close to the HIDs. The HIDs produce a beam ahead about 75-100 ft and about 15-20 ft on the sides. They especially enhance white reflective road signs and markings ahead even further. The HI bulbs seem to produce two "spot lights" at least 2-3 times the distance of the HIDs. Together they make the road in front of you well lighted. I'm really blind at night and wear glasses, so good headlamps are VERY important because I do 90+% highway travel and mostly at night. You won't be disappointed.
Old 09-05-2001, 11:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Looks GREAT!!!

No problems there. These are very BRIGHT on LOs AND HIs. I currently have BOTH HIDs and 9005s for HI beams and there is no problem with the system being able to support it.

The HIs are very powerful and light up the road FAR ahead. Once I run the relays and PIAA 9005 bulbs I'm expecting it to be even better. Again, these kick the $hit out of the stock headlamps and are not annoying to other drivers. The stock headlamps used a prism effect to direct light in many directions, but this is not the case with the '02 headlamps. They stock headlamps produced a "scattered" beam that had a kind of spider-web effect on the sides. This was adequate but not even close to the HIDs. The HIDs produce a beam ahead about 75-100 ft and about 15-20 ft on the sides. They especially enhance white reflective road signs and markings ahead even further. The HI bulbs seem to produce two "spot lights" at least 2-3 times the distance of the HIDs. Together they make the road in front of you well lighted. I'm really blind at night and wear glasses, so good headlamps are VERY important because I do 90+% highway travel and mostly at night. You won't be disappointed.
I agree, this system is better than putting an aftermarket HID kit on your 00-01 cause the optics and the prism was not made for the HID kit. I mean I had it in mine, and even after LOWERING the headlamp to offset so it wont blind oncoming drivers, it still ****ed off people, and they flashed me all the time.

With the 2002, the assembly was made to that the light is scattered correctly and at the same time not blinding. That was the key for me

Dixit