5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

The New Climax vs Modded WRX, & RussMaxManiac vs Modded WRX

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2001, 10:38 AM
RussMaxManiac

I actually did not get to see the run with the WRX and Climax, but I heard about it afterwards. I got lost in Austin . Anyways, here is my story...

We were basically called him out on the Texas Racing scene since he kept saying he beat the SC Max. Well it was a identity confusion we found out. It was Adam that he ran, but Adam did run a guy in the same location that this other guy ran someone a while back. LOL....

Well my story begins at the end of the night we all left. We agreed to send Adam way up to be our scout to make sure we were clear and no POPO. When it was Clear, we lined up, honked to 3 at around 55mph and took off. The WRX got up to one car on me by 90-95, then I started to real him back in by 110 I was almost past him and we had to let off. We did this 3 times same results.

The WRX has a ECU, 3 inch exhaust all the way back, and Intake I believe.

The Max proved itself tonight for a N/A Max. I do know that Adam did pull on him hard in 3rd gear, so it was really not as close as a race as we had. Let him tell you the story shortly.

STOCK WRX from a roll the Max should be able to beat it, a modded one, the Max better have a mod or 2. I have just a intake....

Man what a fun night!

Old 08-19-2001, 10:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wow i thought a WRX would be much faster than that and would be able to smoke a maxima
Old 08-19-2001, 11:20 AM

What is the curb weight difference? Did either of them have a spoiler? That could've made some difference in the higher MPH
Old 08-19-2001, 11:20 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by melanthius
What is the curb weight difference? Did either of them have a spoiler? That could've made some difference in the higher MPH
It had a Spoiler the WRX. My 2k1 is loaded. Plus I had 3/4 tank of gas.

Old 08-19-2001, 12:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well, from what I understand a modded max is good against a WRX from a roll, BUT line 'em up from a light and we'll be seeing wrx tailights.
Old 08-19-2001, 01:35 PM
Pele ain't got nothing on me

Originally posted by Max_Gator
Well, from what I understand a modded max is good against a WRX from a roll, BUT line 'em up from a light and we'll be seeing wrx tailights.
Actually, my WRX buddy here in Tampa went to the track on Thursday last for the first time. He was consistently 14.5's and a few 14.4's, all at 92-93 trap speed. His 60' was 1.9's . That tells me, don't f**k with them from a standstill but on a roll, we should be fine against them. Their top end is not that great. BTW, he has an electronic boost controller and some minor intake mods (K&N drop in).

Peace...
Old 08-19-2001, 02:14 PM

i'm gonna call BS.

3" piping from turbo back would raise the psi a few points.

ECU will definitely have the boost raised a bit.

4 psi increase in boost is usually .3 tenths or more faster in a 1/4mi. On a roll, he'll spool faster, making any advantage of a maxima seem dismal.

Spoiler wouldn't dramatically affect whether or not Russ will pull at 100mph.

Once again... i'll have to see proof to believe it.
Old 08-19-2001, 03:19 PM
RussMaxManiac

Sorry but this is not BS. Why is it so hard for you to believe? the traps for a WRX is 92-94 the Maxima 94-96 STOCK! WE have better trap speed that means we will catch up at the end. I don't care if you don't believe it or not, it happend, we had at least 6-8 witnesses that saw it. Adam in front to what he could see, and my other friends behind me seeing the action.
Yes he spools at 2500 now instead of 3k he said.
Originally posted by SCCA Solo2
i'm gonna call BS.

3" piping from turbo back would raise the psi a few points.

ECU will definitely have the boost raised a bit.

4 psi increase in boost is usually .3 tenths or more faster in a 1/4mi. On a roll, he'll spool faster, making any advantage of a maxima seem dismal.

Spoiler wouldn't dramatically affect whether or not Russ will pull at 100mph.

Once again... i'll have to see proof to believe it.

Old 08-20-2001, 12:32 AM

I think he's thinking of the '02 wrx. that would kick. the older ones are just OK in my book.
Old 08-20-2001, 06:41 AM

Originally posted by 2K2DEMAX

Actually, my WRX buddy here in Tampa went to the track on Thursday last for the first time. He was consistently 14.5's and a few 14.4's, all at 92-93 trap speed. His 60' was 1.9's . That tells me, don't f**k with them from a standstill but on a roll, we should be fine against them. Their top end is not that great. BTW, he has an electronic boost controller and some minor intake mods (K&N drop in).

Peace...
That must be Zate....same car I raced 3 weeks ago. We went at it about 5 or 6 times and everytime it was a dead heat.

His boost is set at 14.5 psi via the EBC. I know for sure thats what its at since I took a ride and watched it!

If we race again after he gets an exhaust and up/downpipes, hell leave me in the dust.
Old 08-20-2001, 08:15 AM

Well I can vouch that this is not BS, I witnessed it and from my view the MAx has the advantage on the top end. I also ran the WRX and yes its a real WRX 5spd with the MOMO steering wheel. He has also raced older cars in the past and knows how to drive stick. He mentioned he sells or sold Nissans and knows that on top end he did not have a chance. As stateed before he told us that the exhaust allowed him to boost at 2500-2800 RPMS's. He will also be upgrading the turbo by Nov. and has a few mods soom to coom. The guy is really cool, and knows where he stands, is not cocky about things and took the loss that I also handed him like a man. When we ran there was no real competition we started at about 50mph in 2nd gear and I pulled on him, in 3rd as well, there wa no real competition there. This is his post he made on the Texas board "hey adam you should be calling more people out man that Maxima is kick ***, through a badd *** exhaust on it and you will be rollin, my roomates bimmer is gettin a borla this week, so we will be out again- good times - WRXfreak"

So to those that don't believe it there is not much more I can say, I am not here to convince ppl otherwise, but those that were there know what happened. And remember we are not stating that we ran him from a stop, b/c we all know AWD will take us from a stop.
Old 08-20-2001, 08:22 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Good going Mr. 2PSI..... I'm sure that really BOOSTED your confidence.
Old 08-20-2001, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Good going Mr. 2PSI..... I'm sure that really BOOSTED your confidence.
Very funny, Kev. But you are right it did. I now feel like an automajic with a 3.25 pulley.
Old 08-20-2001, 08:49 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

yep

these AWD cars really aren't all that fast, and the kick butt 0-60 and 1/4 mile times you see for them are exaggerated from the true performance of the car.

The WRX and S4 all have good 1/4 mile times, but like already posted, their trap speeds are low because all of the extra AWD hardware just slows them down in the end. Hell, on a roll I'd bet my Accord V6 could take a WRX, but it'd probably have to be an auto as well...

All AWD helps you do is launch well, after that all it does is slow you down. On a roll I have no doubt that the Maxima was able to take the modded WRX.
Old 08-20-2001, 09:21 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by The New CLIMAX

Very funny, Kev. But you are right it did. I now feel like an automajic with a 3.25 pulley.
Not quite, but almost there.
Old 08-20-2001, 09:59 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
Wonder if the guy is on www.i-club.com
My partner is a Subaru nut, and knows a WRX inside and out.

-Peace

Yes he is on that club...we already seen him post around there...