5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Big problem with 2002 tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 10:14 PM

OK, since I have been reading these fourms, everyone has said that altezzas are ricey and for hondas and just look like crap, especially on maximas. So now that Nissan has (sadlly) put altezzas on the new Maxima, why is everyone practically drooling over them, especially when they look like crap (IMO), the orange has to go, the clear does not match with 90% of the colors, they are just bad all around. What Nissan should have done is made the tails body colored for the SE. Why anyone would waste their cash on them is beond me. I am not trying to come of in a bad way here, it is just that at first all i read was people saying how they hate altezzas, and that they are played out and NEVER on our Maxima, and yet, little by little i think most of the 5th Gen members will have um. But I know that I won't!

-Joe
Old 08-20-2001, 10:17 PM

FLAME ON!!!

<------------------I'll be hiding behind this wall.
Old 08-20-2001, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
FLAME ON!!!

<------------------I'll be hiding behind this wall.
Why do you even post on this board?
Old 08-20-2001, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by ItalianMax2kSE
OK, since I have been reading these fourms, everyone has said that altezzas are ricey and for hondas and just look like crap, especially on maximas. So now that Nissan has (sadlly) put altezzas on the new Maxima, why is everyone practically drooling over them, especially when they look like crap (IMO), the orange has to go, the clear does not match with 90% of the colors, they are just bad all around. What Nissan should have done is made the tails body colored for the SE. Why anyone would waste their cash on them is beond me. I am not trying to come of in a bad way here, it is just that at first all i read was people saying how they hate altezzas, and that they are played out and NEVER on our Maxima, and yet, little by little i think most of the 5th Gen members will have um. But I know that I won't!

-Joe
so what if people like the 02 tail lights? its really none of your business. plus not everyone said they didnt like altezzas.. and the dont really look like altezzas to me. if someone appreciates what they bought, let them be.
Old 08-20-2001, 10:23 PM

It is ok if people like um, and I think they do not look that bad on Pauls 2k Blue Max, all I am saying is that all of us say how we hate altezas then when they come out everyone wants um, it is ironic, that''s all
Old 08-20-2001, 10:25 PM

Why do you even post on this board?
BECAUSE I CAN!! ANY OTHER STUPID QUESTIONS?

I just was waiting for the barrage of '02 taillight lovers to have a problem with your statement. You took offense to a simple statement. Sucks to be you.
Old 08-20-2001, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
I like big letters. BTW, the word is inadequacies. Spell check is under this box, use it some times.
Ok MEDIUMcsonic
Old 08-20-2001, 10:31 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Old 08-20-2001, 10:32 PM

I like big letters. BTW, the word is inadequacies. Spell check is under this box, use it some times.
Old 08-20-2001, 11:05 PM

Yeah, I don't get it. Nearly everyone on this site bashes altezzas "Oh, they're for riceboys". Now everyone wants them! Most people that see a Maxima with those lights will think they are altezzas, even if you don't. I think the 02 Altima has better looking ones, the Maxima looks like a hasty job...
Old 08-20-2001, 11:08 PM

Thank you! Somebody who actually understands where I am comming from and is not just looking to act like a child like MEDIUMsonic
Old 08-21-2001, 12:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

OK, since I have been reading these fourms, everyone has said that altezzas are ricey and for hondas and just look like crap, especially on maximas.

-Joe
I know exactly what you talking about. I saw the "new" tailights on the SuperBlack 2K2 at the dealer, and it looked like crap. I would rather keep my smoked SE tailights than that crap.

Dixit
Old 08-21-2001, 02:16 AM
JET Speed Lab

MEDIUMsonic

but anyhow some cars look good with altezza's some dont, thats my opinion, like how they look cleanly mod'd. i dont have anything against the new lights, just that it takes time to get used to, just like the other altezza's
Old 08-21-2001, 04:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey,

The MEDIUMsonic ... is that supposed 2 b funny? I don't know Medic .. but I didn't think that was funny

n e ways ... what's wrong with rice? Most of us here only discount Honduhs as rice b/c they are mostly show & no go ... (n e Honduh drivers reading this?)

If u look @ some of the mods people on this board have performed ... u would have 2 say that a lot of us r rice 2 ... I have clear side markers with superwhite bulbs .. I'm getting a neon underbody kit ... I have a MOMO shift **** & MOMO boot with a MOMO pedal set ... Stillen body kit ... does that make me rice? none of those mods add n e thing perf wise ...

people have the rite 2 do what they want 2 their ride ... just as u have the rite 2 put on that ugly front spoiler ... that's my opinion ... but I'm not going 2 bash & start a new thread ...

& u must admit ... not e/o is crazy about it ... i think the gen'l consensus if u read some of the more recent posts are that it looks good (in most people's opinions) on light coloured cars & not-so-good on dark cars ...

& people r allowed 2 change their minds ... it happens all the time ... look @ me ... when I first bought my car .. I thought people that modded their cars were stupid & were wasting their $$$ ... boy .. I wish I still thought that ... I'd have some $$ in my pocket

my $0.02
Old 08-21-2001, 05:58 AM

-Joe
I noticed that you have the clear side markers. One thing I have never understood is some of the people that trash the "Altezza" style tails are some of the same people that have the clear side markers! Looks like a contradiction to me!
Old 08-21-2001, 06:34 AM

First of all some of you are way to sensative. Secondly, I am not bashing anyone, I already staed that I kinda like how they look on paul's car, but who cares what anyone thinks about your car as long as you like. You have to drive it and live with it and pay for it. All i was saying is that it is funny how EVRYONE bashed altezza's but now that they are out I am sure that in time there will be a waiting list for um! I agree with yo it is ok on what they should have done with um, or they should have left um alone and just made the outer part body colored. But that is jut my opinion. And because I have clear side markers does not mean I have to like altezzas, i just don't like orange on my car and i think a black car looks nice with clear lights, not tails though, but again it is my opinion. Why do you think no company aftermarket made altezzas for our cars? It would have been so eassy to make the 5th gen an altezza light but there is no demand, just like all previous year Maximas, they finally after almost 6 years made um for the 95 Max, and so far I have seen Greg at custommaxima.com have to slash his prices 2 or 3 times and on eBay they only go for about $75-$90 because there is no demand.

My $.02
Old 08-21-2001, 07:05 AM

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
OK, WTF IS WRONG WITH CLEAR SIDES ?
It's a styling statement that says Amber or Red lenses s-u-c-k-! Well I went the other way, and just took advantage of a black color car, and made it look good w/o spending a dime. Same for the rear, I have no idea how many Nissan sales guys looked at the rear of my car, and applauded my creativity to make it look decent. Then Nissan goes Altezza-style crazy, and in all do honesty, they made it look uglier. Amazing huh ?
Back to clear sides....so you think those who like clears like altezzas ?
Do I smell a POLL ?
I have never stated that I didn't like the clear side markers. I think they look great. It just seems strange to me that some of the people with clear markers (which are rice) no not like the '02 Max tails (which has been deemed ricey). The only reason I do not have the clear side markers on my Icelandic Pearl Max is because they would get washed out with the color of my car anyway...and there is a question as to the legalities of having them.
Old 08-21-2001, 07:28 AM

Have a feeling that this is going Off-Topic REALLY soon?
Old 08-21-2001, 02:16 PM

Not everyone likes them. It's as simple as that. And no, clear side markers are not rice. It keeps the colors coordinated in the front and as long as put in yellow bulbs, they're legal.
Old 08-21-2001, 02:27 PM
I'm needing a caw

I hate alcrappas. Why? Because on the 4-gen, they look ridiculas. Maybe a carbon fiber or gunmetal instead of the chrome would be better but it's not an option. Now I can say I hate Alcrappas but still like the 5-gen newest tails becuase 4-GEN ALCRAPPAS DO NOT EQUAL THE CURRENT 5-GEN TAILLIGHTS. It's like saying since you don't like apples, you shouldn't like oranges.
Old 08-21-2001, 02:35 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Thank you! Somebody who actually understands where I am comming from and is not just looking to act like a child like MEDIUMsonic
Geez where to begin with the ignorance....

1) You stated an opinion.
2) Medic responded, which I thought to be a fairly accurate statement. Your opinion was a flame invoker, simple as that. I know because I am probably a high ranking official in the flame post society around here.
3) Because Medic didn't bend over and take it from you and lap up your opinion and regurgitate it as law, you decide to start name calling and complaining that he posts in this forum. What if he had agreed? Would a peep had been posted by yourself?
4) You are not a moderator, Kev and TimW are.
5) You have no power to determine who and who doesn't respond to your opinions. If you're afraid of dissent, don't post in the first place.
6) In addition, you can always create your own forum so that only people that embrace your opinions post.

[opinion, and there is no requirement for Vaseline]
That aside, I think the 2k2 taillights look better because the older ones could not look any worse if someone took a baseball bat to them. The 2k2 tails are copycats, but they are better than what's on 2k and 2k1 models. At least the 2k2 headlights don't look frumpy anymore.....
[/opinion, and there is no requirement for Vaseline]

Have a nice day.

Old 08-21-2001, 03:17 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Interesting thread this has turned into...
Old 08-21-2001, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Old 08-21-2001, 03:48 PM
nc00max

MediumSonic? Umm...what the hell kind of name calling is that? Ok, so you don't like altezzas. Good for you, here's your cookie. Some people do, and as far as I'm concerned, if it's your car, you can do whatever the hell you want to it. Medic was just making a joke about the never-ending altezza argument that's been going on here. If you can't handle it, go elsewhere. Resorting to namecalling and whining about someone else's post is childish and immature. This being one of the few forums that doesn't have that problem, I think some of us would like to keep it that way. Take your problems elsewhere.

Old 08-21-2001, 03:54 PM

Old 08-21-2001, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Old 08-21-2001, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

[/opinion, and there is no requirement for Vaseline]

Old 08-21-2001, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
you know you really shouldn't talk about Kev like that....

Old 08-21-2001, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Mustang1999

why do you have KYB AGX's in your sig? Maxima's don't have AGX's
Old 08-21-2001, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax

*gasp* you don't own a maxima?
And damn proud too!!!

Old 08-21-2001, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Well the main reason is because they actually make AGX's for my car, which is not a Maxima...

*gasp* you don't own a maxima?
Old 08-21-2001, 04:25 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Hey!
Old 08-21-2001, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Hey!
Awww I'm sorry Kev.. at least I'm the only one that doesn't think you are

Old 08-21-2001, 04:27 PM

if you gotta problem with the lights go ahead and tell us, don't diss people that like them though. It's there car and they gotta right to do what they wanna do. And please don't diss MedicSonic he posts alot and hes a cool guy cause he usually is able to help us with our problems. You know you don't have to be a 5th gen owner to post here...
Old 08-21-2001, 04:43 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Awww I'm sorry Kev.. at least I'm the only one that doesn't think you are

Yes, I'm not gay (like SprintMax).
Old 08-21-2001, 04:46 PM

Well...

I figure I mind as well spend my $0.02 here...

Comparing 2k2 lights to 5th gen non SE lights...then I would say 2k2 are better. But ask me if I want to change out my carbon fiber SE ones, you'll have to kill me first...

Green
Old 08-21-2001, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Yes, I'm not gay (like SprintMax).
that hasn't been proven
Old 08-21-2001, 08:11 PM

In my defence, I am in no way bashing anyone who likes them or has them on their car and I have stated that in previous posts. This started out as a thread to point out a funnny and ironic fact and it took a very strange turn. If people can not take a little friendly ribbing (medisonic) then I am sory. I ment nothing by it and was just joking around with him. These forums are great because no one here acts like keyboard toughguys. I never said that everyone has to hate the new tail lights, I never said that I do not like people who like um or that there is anything wrong with liking them. I just stated an opinion. And if the term "Ricer" means people who only have cosmetic mods then I am King Rice! But I thought Ricer was ment towards Civic owners who think that their cars are the best in the world (and I hope that what I am about to say does not **** any more people off) but the reality is that Civics are slow and ugly.
Old 08-21-2001, 08:40 PM

real anxious now...

to see the new tails "live".
As much as all the pics of them here goes, it certainly is intriguing, but I aint making up my mind on them till i see them for myself on the same color car as my own, in the showroom.
I think that SE lights look great in OO and 01 on a black Max. Any other color Max, I prefer the regular GXE lights, and will likely stick with them. Time will tell
All that said, front and rear lights have been the most exciting topic around here for some time!!