5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

UDP: impressions

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 05:26 AM
Got Bent?

I got the UDP installed yesterday and have driven a bit with it now. In terms of gains, the engine seems to rev up a lot quicker up to about 4k rpm. The engine has become a bit smoother also at idle and when revving it. I can't say that I noticed any gains up top, but I guess that is expected. From a standstill, I hammered it and spun the tires a bit longer than before. Overall, it feels a bit better. I dyno'd before the UDP and got some messed up numbers... check out the following thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=60083

I will dyno at the same place again with the UDP to see what happens. Overall, I would say that get this mod after you have done the intake and y-pipe...
Old 08-21-2001, 05:32 AM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
I got the UDP installed yesterday and have driven a bit with it now. In terms of gains, the engine seems to rev up a lot quicker up to about 4k rpm. The engine has become a bit smoother also at idle and when revving it. I can't say that I noticed any gains up top, but I guess that is expected. From a standstill, I hammered it and spun the tires a bit longer than before. Overall, it feels a bit better. I dyno'd before the UDP and got some messed up numbers... check out the following thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=60083

I will dyno at the same place again with the UDP to see what happens. Overall, I would say that get this mod after you have done the intake and y-pipe...
Well, it sounds like your experience has been the same as most of the other folks. I guess I'll move the UR UDP down to the bottom of my list of future mods. Thanks for the info and update. Have a good day man.
Old 08-21-2001, 05:34 AM

Hey UMD.
Did you install it yourself or did someone install it for you?
I heard to install it on an automagic was a killer
Old 08-21-2001, 06:06 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by yongjun
Hey UMD.
Did you install it yourself or did someone install it for you?
I heard to install it on an automagic was a killer
I got the shop I dyno'd at to install it. They did a good job and the mechanic knew what he was doing... The funny thing is, he was rebuilding a Supra TT engine at the same time...
Old 08-21-2001, 07:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Based upon my real world testing of the UDP, I would have to say that the performance improvement is nominal at best. It does seem to be a bit easier to move from a stop in first and a bit smoother at idle.

Of course, we still have not determined why I got screwy dyno results. Hopefully, it is just a matter of the heat and computer timing, or dyno error. There is no indication in real world testing (i.e. racing) that I have lost what the dyno says I have.

I would say at this point, for a 5th gen, this is not a good bang for the buck performance mod. From what I understand, 4th gens have had better results.
Old 08-21-2001, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the update. Let us know after you re-dyno.
Old 08-21-2001, 03:07 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Overall, I would say that get this mod after you have done the intake and y-pipe...
Exactly...
Old 08-21-2001, 03:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I got the shop I dyno'd at to install it. They did a good job and the mechanic knew what he was doing... The funny thing is, he was rebuilding a Supra TT engine at the same time...
Hey UMD, just an off topic, Just got off the phone with DaveB and the HID lights will be here Thursday. He is shipping them out today with the harnesses. I will actually be moving Thursday, but if I got time, I will call you and get this joint put in and shock everyone.

Dixit
Old 08-21-2001, 06:12 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Hey UMD, just an off topic, Just got off the phone with DaveB and the HID lights will be here Thursday. He is shipping them out today with the harnesses. I will actually be moving Thursday, but if I got time, I will call you and get this joint put in and shock everyone.

Dixit
sounds good man... just drop me a line at my e-mail address and we can maybe do it this weekend if you have time.... but you will probably be busy with moving and stuff.... so whenever you get the time, just let me know and we can hook it up
Old 08-22-2001, 03:33 AM

can you do me a favor??

Ask that mechanic exactly how to take off the belts.. ie what to loosen.. and email me at work with the info please.
Thanks!
ageraci@paychex.com
Old 08-22-2001, 05:25 AM
Got Bent?

Re: can you do me a favor??

Originally posted by DeaZaL
Ask that mechanic exactly how to take off the belts.. ie what to loosen.. and email me at work with the info please.
Thanks!
ageraci@paychex.com
you have mail