5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

what do i need to play a ps2 in my car???

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2001, 04:24 PM

i went to a car show yesterday, and a lot of the cars had some sort of game system in their car. i was wondering what componenets i would need to put the ps2 in my car, or if it is even possible with the bose?.

i have a ps2 already, i'm wondering if all i need is the power converter for the ps2 and a screen???
Old 08-26-2001, 04:44 PM

A tv with a/v input that can contect to the head unit. and a new power supply for the ps2
Old 08-26-2001, 05:21 PM

but will this be able to work with the bose head unit?????? i don't know if there is a factory audio-in to the bose, cd player/tape deck.
Old 08-26-2001, 06:21 PM

U will shell out lots of cash!

In order for it to be WORTH it, you need to get custom moldings/harnesses / whatever you want to call it... that fit a small TV and the PS2 unit. I think this costs a lot of money. Where were you planning to mount it? Back seat I assume..? If so, you have a power outlet there, but you don't want a Tv and PS2 like rolling around in the back seat. The electrical connection isn't as big a deal as the custom fittings for the electronics. Good luck (Send pix if successful!)
Old 08-26-2001, 06:24 PM

Re: U will shell out lots of cash!

get a suv!

i really think a ps2/tv/dvd/etc belong in a suv... seems more practical...

but if your going for a bling bling pimp car(show car), go for it
Old 08-26-2001, 07:21 PM

You can make anything work with any head unit. Like dude said you need a harness I don't know which one off hand but sound reproduction and ease of use would prob be better to get another head unit... Why you ask...this is why. If you hook it to the bose unit you will need to mount a switch somewhere sound will also not be great. I say get a nice 400 or 2000 doller head unit that has what your looking for...it will make the bose system which sucks sound better and work with the ps2. If your looking to keep the tape and cd and want a tv go with the eclipse that will work and be easy to mount. If you want some tv's in the head rest or better in the sunviser then you might want somthing else.
Because the ps2 has it's own fan you can mount it in the trunk in the side panel and it will be fine. If you want it all right expect to pay between 1k-2.5k at least.
Old 08-26-2001, 09:45 PM

alright, i'm going to do some research on the screens, and see what i can come up with. if it cost unreasonable then i won't do it. i was just going to put it in to waste some time with, when i have nothing to do, like when i'm waiting for someone or maybe in between classes.
Old 08-27-2001, 06:43 AM

Originally posted by victor
alright, i'm going to do some research on the screens, and see what i can come up with. if it cost unreasonable then i won't do it. i was just going to put it in to waste some time with, when i have nothing to do, like when i'm waiting for someone or maybe in between classes.
I was also thinking how to do this. I'll tell you why i didn't later. It came out to $200.00 without the PS2....

4" lcd off ebay (a cheap one without a tv tuner only with video input): $150.00

Cheap FM Modulator from Heartland America (lets you plug in your ps2's audio into it and creates a band so you can tune your radio to like 88.7 and hear your ps2) : $20.00

Misc. wires, connectors, etc + shipping : ~$30.00

Now the reason why I didn't get it. The 4" LCD I was thinking of making a hole in the head rest of my car and putting it there. But honestly theres never a time im in back just bored. If I had kids I probably would. But I cam to the conclusion it's only a magnet to thieves and a waste of $300.00 so I just decided to buy an amp and sub which I'm buying in the next few weeeks.
Old 08-27-2001, 11:07 AM

yeah, if the only way to get the audio to work is with that modulator, i say forget about it. quality would be horrible. i already have the ps2, so it was just an idea i was throwing around. i guess i'll go with performance mods. =). i'm going to order myself some springs one of these days.
Old 08-27-2001, 11:08 AM

yeah, if the only way to get the audio to work is with that modulator, i say forget about it. quality would be horrible. i already have the ps2, so it was just an idea i was throwing around. i guess i'll go with performance mods. =). i'm going to order myself some springs one of these days.
you could use the tape thingy people use for discmans but that looks horribly cheeesy
Old 08-27-2001, 12:03 PM

If you're gonna do something like this don't half a$$ in a car like a max. I paid mucho dinero for a custom install. What you could do is remove the stock radio and get an audio shop to build you a kit for a 6-6.5" monitor to go in the place of the factory radio. Have the monitor recessed so that you can cover the opening w/ smoked plexiglass. Buy a nice but simple head unit, alpine, panasonic or jvc that has an a/v input. Relocat the radio to the center console and mount it at a 180 angle so that the face of the radio is showing when you lift up the console. Behind the center console is a hump that is between the back seat build a housing for the PS2 there that way it accessable from the fron seat. I would also use a cd changer and mount in the trunk. Vwolla! A custom set up that is theft deterent! The only people who will know that you have is the people who ride w/ you. So if your stuff comes up missing you know who to put in your suspect line up. This is what I'm gonna do since I sold my Alpine CVA 1003.

Prices:
Monitor 400-600 (for a good one)
Radio 300-600 (depending on you)
Install 400-700 (depending where you live)
Clean set up (priceless)

Maximum price should be around $2000.00 for the Best stuff installed!

Originally posted by AdamK

you could use the tape thingy people use for discmans but that looks horribly cheeesy
Old 08-27-2001, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by rocketshipon19"
If you're gonna do something like this don't half a$$ in a car like a max. I paid mucho dinero for a custom install. What you could do is remove the stock radio and get an audio shop to build you a kit for a 6-6.5" monitor to go in the place of the factory radio. Have the monitor recessed so that you can cover the opening w/ smoked plexiglass. Buy a nice but simple head unit, alpine, panasonic or jvc that has an a/v input. Relocat the radio to the center console and mount it at a 180 angle so that the face of the radio is showing when you lift up the console. Behind the center console is a hump that is between the back seat build a housing for the PS2 there that way it accessable from the fron seat. I would also use a cd changer and mount in the trunk. Vwolla! A custom set up that is theft deterent! The only people who will know that you have is the people who ride w/ you. So if your stuff comes up missing you know who to put in your suspect line up. This is what I'm gonna do since I sold my Alpine CVA 1003.

Prices:
Monitor 400-600 (for a good one)
Radio 300-600 (depending on you)
Install 400-700 (depending where you live)
Clean set up (priceless)

Maximum price should be around $2000.00 for the Best stuff installed!

Theres no arguement that my set up would have been cheap as a **** however money was a big issue in my case and usually in other people's cases too...
Old 08-27-2001, 03:02 PM

i think i'm going to back off this idea right now, cause i don't have that kind of dough to blow on this. i'd have been in the same boat as adam an been a cheap ***.

i don't feel right stripping the bose head unit out, especially since i paid extra for it. lol. i should have known it would be a pain to mod the audio with it.

the set-up you describe would be right up there with a show car setup. if only i could do that. i was planing on mounting the screen up top somewhere, but it could easily be stolen with our pieces for alarm systems. and my tint isn't too dark, only 35% reflective.
Old 08-27-2001, 03:11 PM

i think i'm going to back off this idea right now, cause i don't have that kind of dough to blow on this. i'd have been in the same boat as adam an been a cheap ***.

i don't feel right stripping the bose head unit out, especially since i paid extra for it. lol. i should have known it would be a pain to mod the audio with it.

the set-up you describe would be right up there with a show car setup. if only i could do that. i was planing on mounting the screen up top somewhere, but it could easily be stolen with our pieces for alarm systems. and my tint isn't too dark, only 35% reflective.
I don't even have the Bose upgrade and still felt bad about taking out the stock head unit...
Old 08-28-2001, 07:23 AM

Here is a less expensive alternative. Alpine makes a fold down screen that you put in the ceiling. Take out the useless sunglass holder and relocate the sunroof controls(if applicable) because the unit has a map light built in. Look on eBay it think there is one being auctioned off right now.

Originally posted by AdamK

I don't even have the Bose upgrade and still felt bad about taking out the stock head unit...
Old 08-28-2001, 08:16 AM

Originally posted by rocketshipon19"
Here is a less expensive alternative. Alpine makes a fold down screen that you put in the ceiling. Take out the useless sunglass holder and relocate the sunroof controls(if applicable) because the unit has a map light built in. Look on eBay it think there is one being auctioned off right now.

no money no money! I bought a $15.00 sub yesterday cause I have no money honestly it's worth like 60.00 though! a kenwood 12"
Old 08-28-2001, 08:18 AM

oh as for the alpine unit I think this is it:

http://www.eautobrokers.net/pics/myers6/maxdash.jpg
Old 08-28-2001, 09:21 AM
PhatGuy

Here is a custom solution we have been working on:

http://www.cwonline.com/store/view_p...p?Product=1125

We now actually have a unit that will interface directly to the PS2 with a special cable and powered through the USB port on the PS2. The signal can be split to more personal displays or LCD screens as needed. Passengers will have 45"-52" simluated screen experience. I wish you guys lived closer by so we have someone with experience and willing to test out different displays and systems.

Old 08-28-2001, 03:40 PM

Check out my setup at http://members.sounddomain.com/xtantmaxima

I have an additional Alpine IVA for sale for $1000 brand new in the box. let me know by email or pm.