5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Fuel System cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2001, 10:29 AM
jjs

Well just ran a bottle of Berryman's Total Fuel System Cleaner through and it works great! I already have been using it on my truck with good results but this is the first time in the Max and you can tell the difference! It does a great job of cleaning out all the deposits (at least it feels like it does) and other fouled up places in the fuel system...particularly helpful living in Houston where temps are regualrly in the 90's and higher for months on end.

I highly suggest using this product.
Old 08-29-2001, 11:10 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

What difference does it make?

Originally posted by jjs
Well just ran a bottle of Berryman's Total Fuel System Cleaner through and it works great! I already have been using it on my truck with good results but this is the first time in the Max and you can tell the difference! It does a great job of cleaning out all the deposits (at least it feels like it does) and other fouled up places in the fuel system...particularly helpful living in Houston where temps are regualrly in the 90's and higher for months on end.

Reduce pinging? Restore lost power? Increase fuel mileage?

I don't see why a 2001 would need fuel system cleaner. I've only heard of it helping OLDER vehicles when the combustion chamber, intake/exhaust valves, etc.. get high levels of carbon build up.
Old 08-29-2001, 11:29 AM

Where did you get this? and how much it costs?

Thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by jjs

Old 08-29-2001, 12:02 PM

What the hell

Are you serious? How many miles did you have on your car such that you actually noticed a difference? we have a pretty good engine as it is, I don't think there's much need to run extra chemicals through the combustion chambers.
Old 08-29-2001, 12:09 PM

The best stuff I've used is Techron by Chevron. This is a concentrate of the cleaner additive which goes into their gas.
Once every three months if you do a lot of stop and go will make a difference. I noticed it in my 89 SE which ran stronger with less pinging and better mileage.
I did however have a mechanic which works on a lot of Nissans say this stuff is bad because it is so concentrated that it is very hard on all the other rubber bits in a fuel system and can cause fuel lines to rupture.
Moderation is the key I think.
Old 08-29-2001, 12:53 PM
jjs

I use it every 10,000 or so miles on my truck (which now has over 100,000 miles on it with NO fuel system problems) and since I just hit the 10k mark with the Max, I tried it there.

While an engine may be clean running, who knows what kind of crap is in the gas we buy, how clean the underground tanks at the stations are, and with extreme heat here in the South, I can only believe that organic compounds including gasoline can and do deteriorate.

I find a more responsive throttle, a bit better mileage, and a generally 'smoother' driving sensation (I know this is subjective, but heck, I like it).

I find a bottle which treats a standard tankful for about $7.00 at local Autozones.

The manufacturer also has a pretty extensive website...

http://www.berrymanproducts.com/
Old 08-29-2001, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by jjs
I use it every 10,000 or so miles on my truck (which now has over 100,000 miles on it with NO fuel system problems) and since I just hit the 10k mark with the Max, I tried it there.

While an engine may be clean running, who knows what kind of crap is in the gas we buy, how clean the underground tanks at the stations are, and with extreme heat here in the South, I can only believe that organic compounds including gasoline can and do deteriorate.

I find a more responsive throttle, a bit better mileage, and a generally 'smoother' driving sensation (I know this is subjective, but heck, I like it).

I find a bottle which treats a standard tankful for about $7.00 at local Autozones.

The manufacturer also has a pretty extensive website...

http://www.berrymanproducts.com/

Sorry, but those points you stated are irrelavent. I mean, your fuel filter will filter any bad crap in the fuel down to 5-microns, so that's not a benefit. As to the more responsive throttle and better mileage, it's probably due to the extra octane it adds and your ECU compensating by advancing the timing. I'm not saying don't buy it. It's just that the slight benefit your getting from the octane "boost" for a tankful or two is not worth the $7.00 of gas you could have bought instead. Plus, the extra octane is more corrosive and causes your fuel injectors, o-rings, rubber/plastic parts in the fuel system to be damaged over time.

Again, I'm not trying to flame you. It's just I used to do the same thing and now I'm paying for it on my other vehicle. Your owners manual also states NOT to use any fuel or oil additives, so that might tell you they have done some research into what is beneficial over time.
Old 08-30-2001, 07:39 AM
jjs

Your choice..but the they are not irrelevent. Since the dissolving agents start in the fuel tank and, by definition move through the fuel filter, they also dissolve accumulated stuff in the filter itself, thus providing more fuel flow in the lines, etc. Also, ALL fuels deteriorate over time...that is the fact of gasoline being an organic compound. No matter how fine a fuel filter is, broken down hydrocarbon and other molecules will get through and depending on the nature of the compound in question, act quite differently than just burning cleanly.

As for the owners manual, let's get real...like any gas station you go to has PURE gasoline. EVERY major oil company boasts about the additives, detergents, etc. that are in their fuels. Have you ever seen a tanker truck load fuel? They fill it with gasoline, pull to an additive station in the loading yard, and pour additives into the top of the open hatches on the tanker. 'Mixing' is done by the motion of the trucks as they travel to their destinations. I know, I have done work for oil companies. Since this is, at best, an imprecise way to distribute the additives throughout a tanker full of gas...who is to say that a particular 18 gallon load you get from the corner station has more or less additive content by volume than another load, or for that matter from another tanker truck a couple days later. I don't see how 16oz. of a product every 10,000 miles is any worse than the slot machine we call a gas pump.

Your call, but use the term irrelevent more judiciously.
Old 08-30-2001, 07:44 AM
jjs

Your choice..but the they are not irrelevent. Since the dissolving agents start in the fuel tank and, by definition move through the fuel filter, they also dissolve accumulated stuff in the filter itself, thus providing more fuel flow in the lines, etc. Also, ALL fuels deteriorate over time...that is the fact of gasoline being an organic compound. No matter how fine a fuel filter is, broken down hydrocarbon and other molecules will get through and depending on the nature of the compound in question, act quite differently than just burning cleanly.

As for the owners manual, let's get real...like any gas station you go to has PURE gasoline. EVERY major oil company boasts about the additives, detergents, etc. that are in their fuels. Have you ever seen a tanker truck load fuel? They fill it with gasoline, pull to an additive station in the loading yard, and pour additives into the top of the open hatches on the tanker. 'Mixing' is done by the motion of the trucks as they travel to their destinations. I know, I have done work for oil companies. Since this is, at best, an imprecise way to distribute the additives throughout a tanker full of gas...who is to say that a particular 18 gallon load you get from the corner station has more or less additive content by volume than another load, or for that matter from another tanker truck a couple days later. I don't see how 16oz. of a product every 10,000 miles is any worse than the slot machine we call a gas pump.

Old 08-30-2001, 07:49 AM
jjs

O.....k

Old 08-30-2001, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by jjs

Again, irrelavent! Sorry I used "additives" loosely. The additives the owners' manual refers to is not the additives that come in fuel. They mean artificial chemicals, some marketing guy(Duralube, STP, Prolong, etc..) trys selling you for improved performance and reliability.

Your missing the MAIN point, that MOST but not all "fuel cleaners" have harsh chemicals that deteriorate rubber, plastic, etc.. that make up the fuel system. Over time you will have caused accelerated wear of expensive components, therefore the slight octane "boost" benefit you are getting is not worth the long term damage. Last, fuel flow through the filter is definitely NOT an issue.
Old 08-30-2001, 10:51 AM

Also, "Pour it and Floor it" for a marketing slogan???

Come on!

Honestly, do you think a company that uses that type of marketing really cares about the side effects of using their products?

I don't doubt you experience a little power increase, but then again it's artificial and not healthy for your car. If your going to use a fuel system cleaner, try the Chevron w/Techreline to see if you get similar results. I trust Chevron a little more, since they use the same "additives" from the fuel in the "fuel cleaner" and warn you to only do it periodically. Last, with only 10K miles you don't have enough crap built up to worry about. If symptoms develop and you have 60K or 100K miles than I say go for it.
Old 08-30-2001, 11:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Interesting thread . . .

First of all, it's apparent that some of you haven't figure out yet how to use the "Delete" checkbox when you edit your posts. I believe I speak for everyone when I say that duplicate posts aren't appreciated.

Second, the ONLY fuel additive Nissan recommends is Chevron Techron Concentrate, and that recommendation is unofficial.

Have a nice day.
Old 08-30-2001, 12:47 PM
jjs

Kev: Apologies for double hits, but the bloody server was at a stop and I tried to reload the page to get out of the forum all together...must have re-posted the post.

================================================== =========

As for the topic at hand...you keep thinking whatever you like. Apparently a diverging opinion or suggestion threatens you. I find it difficult to believe that a product made by a company in existence since 1912 (the B-12 product alone has existed since 1958) is going to cause any problems if used with common sense. Just because they have a certain marketing slogan, you even have to 'dis' them.

Without trying it, you are in no position to say whether it has the results I say it does or not. My car and truck both prove you wrong in real world experience.

Have a nice life in your lofty tower.
Old 08-30-2001, 01:08 PM

What???

Originally posted by jjs
Kev: Apologies for double hits, but the bloody server was at a stop and I tried to reload the page to get out of the forum all together...must have re-posted the post.

================================================== =========

As for the topic at hand...you keep thinking whatever you like. Apparently a diverging opinion or suggestion threatens you. I find it difficult to believe that a product made by a company in existence since 1912 (the B-12 product alone has existed since 1958) is going to cause any problems if used with common sense. Just because they have a certain marketing slogan, you even have to 'dis' them.

Without trying it, you are in no position to say whether it has the results I say it does or not. My car and truck both prove you wrong in real world experience.

Have a nice life in your lofty tower.
What are you talking about? I was simply trying to "guide" someone with the same misbelief I had, until I was shown evidence of the damage by an Engineer friend and my mechanic.

Never mind, enough said, some people just don't want to get it.
Old 08-31-2001, 12:58 AM

Work for oil companies

You said you did work for oil companies. I'm just curious what you did, because I'm planning on majoring in Chemical Engineering.

From my personal knowledge and perspective, I believe that the engines we have are designed for the burn of gasoline with normally oxygenated air which is about 20% Oxygen.

Ideally, gasoline breaks down to Carbon Dioxide and Water when burned in the presence of Oxygen, but carbon monoxide and carbon buildup is imminent because gasoline (and the air) is not pure enough. Additives change the temperature of the burning gasoline, and also change the byproducts of combustion. Therefore, since you don't know what the chemical compound in the Berryman fuel system cleaner is, you shouldn't run it through your engine blindly even if you suspect good results! It could be wearing your engine parts faster, the same way NOS makes your engine burn hotter and wears away at the engine faster.

But I'm very curious what kind of work you've done with the oil companies... please explain, I'm interested to hear.
Old 09-03-2001, 11:24 PM

104+

Hey guys I got a 2000 Maxima with 38k+ miles and I went and got some 104+ Street Octane booster/Clearnr in a red bottle. I would never lie to you guys but that stuff really worked I felt a big difference in throttle response and gas miles went up as well. Also for a while my car was starting to shimmy a little in idle but that is totaly gone. I really recomend it.