5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Another 5th Gen goes down....

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2001, 03:17 PM
nc00max

To me, that is. Seems like I get raced by my own kind more than anything else...but anyways, a guy in my apartment complex has an SE auto and I usually see him leaving for work about the same time, but he NEVER wants to play. I'm heading towards the highway Fri. to go back to Charlotte, and low and behold, I wind up next to him at the light right outside our complex. I give him a wave to say hi, but this time he smiles and revs on me. I look up, thanking God for the clear road in front of us, and rev back. He gets a weird look on his face after hearing my exhaust note, but goes back to smiling and gets ready to go. He didn't torque brake, and I'm pretty sure he didn't manually shift, so it was over before it started. Took him by a full car length almost instantly, and by the time I got to 70 and shut it down (in town-don't wanna be too stupid) I had him by at least 3 car lengths. Turns out he had just gotten the Stillen Intake and wanted to try it out against a "stock" Maxima. Hmmm....better luck next time...also killed a 4th Gen 5spd on the highway on the way home, then a couple more times after he followed me off my exit. Don't know if he was modded, but I was expecting an ***-kicking when we pulled up to the first light. We took that race up to some pretty decent speeds, and in the end I had him by a couple car lengths both times. He stayed a smidge ahead of me up till I hit 6K in 1st, and I started pulling on him pretty decent after manually shifting to 2nd. Good races, both of them. It's nice to have competition other than that MilleniaS and a modded Altima near Durham. That was just plain pathedic, IMO. I would have to say to those who don't bother to manually shift your auto when in a race, you're missing out on some serious gusto. Even MY dealer said it was ok for the tranny (not too sure about that, but I'm getting a new one in Feb., so oh well) and knew for a fact that the early shift is a major shortfall of autos. The service manager's exact words-"Hell yeah, if you really want to get that girl's potential out of her, give her that extra 600 rpms." Can't wait for my 5spd with LSD...soooo far away...

Old 09-02-2001, 05:32 PM

This

seems like the kindof topic to ask this in so here goes. Driving an auto what is the best way to get a good start (short of buying a TC). I've just ben reving to about 2200 rpm then shifting into drive and from a roll dropping to 2nd up to 60 then back into drive. Must be some kindof trick you can do, first gear doesn't seem like it would be any use and it would be too time consuming to drop 2nd from N.
Old 09-02-2001, 06:04 PM
Got Bent?

nice kills I see you are liking the intake + y-pipe + UDP combo.... I haven't had any encounters with anyone lately, but I want some.... Anyhow, you switched out your OSCAI for the JWT intake? How do you like it in comparison to your previous setup?

Critical: the best way to launch an auto is to flash the TC: hold in the brake hard and hold the revs at like 1000 or 1200 rpms. Floor the gas and let go of the brake a split second later. NEVER DO A NEUTRAL DROP......
Old 09-02-2001, 06:35 PM

Why would you want to shift at redline whne peak horsepower isn't at redline, its before it (don't remember exactly when). And you definetly want to turn of the TC when racing.
Old 09-02-2001, 06:39 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE
Why would you want to shift at redline whne peak horsepower isn't at redline, its before it (don't remember exactly when). And you definetly want to turn of the TC when racing.
peak hp is at 6400 rpm, which is close to redline. But, autos are geared so tall, that you would probably want to wind it out as far as possible anyways.
Old 09-02-2001, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

peak hp is at 6400 rpm, which is close to redline. But, autos are geared so tall, that you would probably want to wind it out as far as possible anyways.
Does Don's VB mod fix that shift delay when you shift manually? It doesn't change gears onces you pop it into 2nd or Drive?
Old 09-02-2001, 08:26 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

And you definetly want to turn of the TC when racing.
What does that mean?

If you meant turn off the TC, what does THAT mean. You cant turn off the TC...do u even know how an auto tranny works?
Old 09-02-2001, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg

What does that mean?

If you meant turn off the TC, what does THAT mean. You cant turn off the TC...do u even know how an auto tranny works?
TC=Traction Control
Old 09-02-2001, 08:46 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

[B]

TC=T[/b[raction Control

Sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant TC as in torque converter. Sorry...
Old 09-02-2001, 08:46 PM

The

TC i was referring to was not traction control, sorry, my fault for not thinking of the possible conflict, i meant short of buying a torque converter.
Old 09-02-2001, 08:48 PM

Re: The

Originally posted by Critical
TC i was referring to was not traction control, sorry, my fault for not thinking of the possible conflict, i meant short of buying a torque converter.
What do people mean when they say "flash the TC (refering to the orque converter)"?
Old 09-02-2001, 09:08 PM
nc00max

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
nice kills I see you are liking the intake + y-pipe + UDP combo.... I haven't had any encounters with anyone lately, but I want some....
Anyhow, you switched out your OSCAI for the JWT intake? How do you like it in comparison to your previous setup?
Hmmm...I'm planning on getting up there sometime around the 30th....

I noticed a very minute drop in low end till about 3500-4000rpms, but the damn thing takes off like crazy after that, and definitely makes up for any lag in the lower rpms. Nice sound to it too.

Old 09-02-2001, 09:20 PM
nc00max

Actually, I noticed on my last dyno plot that peak hp was right about 6500 if not a little higher (and now I'm really sure the guy hit the rev limiter). I also kinda discovered tonight that if I just barely "knicked" the rev limiter, I got some serious gains between 1st and 2nd, and seemingly more gusto through 2nd. Got into it with a Celica GTS tonight, and since I wasn't aware he was racing till he chirped his tires, he was ahead of me all the way through 1st. But right after my shift I started catching him and by 80 was going by him. We ended up cutting it off shortly after that due to some light traffic a ways up ahead, but he readily admitted I would have taken him after 40 or so, and even complimented me on my engine sound. He was bone sotck, but hey, they're still fast. Still no substitute for a 5spd, but it definitely helps a lot.

Old 09-03-2001, 12:09 AM

Re: This

Originally posted by Critical
seems like the kindof topic to ask this in so here goes. Driving an auto what is the best way to get a good start (short of buying a TC). I've just ben reving to about 2200 rpm then shifting into drive and from a roll dropping to 2nd up to 60 then back into drive. Must be some kindof trick you can do, first gear doesn't seem like it would be any use and it would be too time consuming to drop 2nd from N.
You mean your telling us that you rev your car in neutral to 2,200rpms then drop your shifter into D. Whoa... If thats what your trying to tell us, let me congradulate you for being so brave and I hope your transmission doesn't go out on you soon.

To me, brake torquing til 1,500rpms seems to have the best results for wheel spin. Shift into 2nd at 6,100rpms will shift right at redline. Then I move the lever into D at 6,400rpms and it will shift at redline. I hit the O/D button at 6,200rpms just in time for the TQ convertor to unlock and revs raise and it will shift into 4th gear and will be pulling. You have to make the best use of the revs available because most of the power is near redline, where the automatic tranmission shifts short of.
Old 09-03-2001, 06:41 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by nc00max

Hmmm...I'm planning on getting up there sometime around the 30th....

I noticed a very minute drop in low end till about 3500-4000rpms, but the damn thing takes off like crazy after that, and definitely makes up for any lag in the lower rpms. Nice sound to it too.
cool stuff... let me know when you are in town...

I was thinking of retiring the old OSCAI and going to another intake... maybe the Cattman CAI... but I want to do the suspension first
Old 09-03-2001, 03:25 PM
nc00max

I got invited to an Avenger meet by a friend of mine, and that's supposed to be up somewhere in Montgomery County, not that I really know where exactly that is. Maybe you could go too....

I thought about all the CAI's too, but didn't really want to cut a hole for it. It rains fairly often here, and if I ever get my transfer to Maine (everybody cross your fingers for me), it's gonna be raining a hell of a lot more where I live. I bought the SE tails this weekend, and that's gonna have to be my last mod for a little while (like I haven't said that before...) until the Navy starts paying me correctly again. As of right now I'm only getting $130 (that's WAY TOO LOW, even for the Navy) a paycheck, and they can't find the glitch anywhere. Hmmm...wonder what my Max would look like with a Pizza Hut sign on top of it....

Old 09-03-2001, 05:01 PM
Got Bent?

if I am free that day, I'll roll up with you. just let me know when...
Old 09-03-2001, 05:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i live in MOntgomery County
Old 09-03-2001, 05:11 PM

bytheway us MarylanderZ and VA peepz have school starting from tomorrow! no!!!!!!! High School!!!! NO!! Atleast its senior year
Old 09-03-2001, 05:12 PM
Got Bent?

what's school?

Old 09-03-2001, 05:20 PM

errrrrr...... u old people so lucky...anyways ChUrChiLL is the BeST HiGh ScHoOL
Old 09-03-2001, 08:14 PM
nc00max

It's supposed to be a mix of a few different car clubs too, not just the Avengers. I'll talk to the guy about bringing a couple of you with me. It's scheduled for sometime Sep. 30 at Black Hills state park which I guess is in Germantown. Supposedly there's gonna be food and a band there too. Might be kinda fun. Madxkilla, if you wanna come down too, let me know. My friend is fine with me inviting others, he just wants to know who and how many so they can keep everything in order.

Old 09-03-2001, 10:08 PM

Re: Re: This

Originally posted by ScreamingVQ

To me, brake torquing til 1,500rpms seems to have the best results for wheel spin. Shift into 2nd at 6,100rpms will shift right at redline. Then I move the lever into D at 6,400rpms and it will shift at redline. I hit the O/D button at 6,200rpms just in time for the TQ convertor to unlock and revs raise and it will shift into 4th gear and will be pulling. You have to make the best use of the revs available because most of the power is near redline, where the automatic tranmission shifts short of.
When u say u hit the o/d button, u put it on or off?
Old 09-04-2001, 05:17 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by nc00max
It's scheduled for sometime Sep. 30 at Black Hills state park which I guess is in Germantown.
I know exactly where that is.... just don't know if I will be free that day