5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

lowering your max

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 03:04 PM

ok, i was wondering what ya'll think is the best combination for lowering your max. . .
I was thinking about getting eibach and tokicos. . .?
Old 09-04-2001, 03:13 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

That is the setup that I have but I think I'm gonna switch to the new KYB AGX's when they come out this month...

Maximadave
Old 09-04-2001, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by maximadave
That is the setup that I have but I think I'm gonna switch to the new KYB AGX's when they come out this month...

Maximadave
What's the difference with the new KYB AGX's? and when do they come out? I'm not a big tuner, not gonna adjust anything, just want it lower. Should I stick with the setup i was gonna go with?
Old 09-04-2001, 08:38 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Basically better handling and they are adjustable...I havent read much on them yet, so if you do not want adjustables stick with the Eibach/Tokico combo.

Maximadave
Old 09-04-2001, 11:45 PM

It depends on what you think is the most important...

1) ride quality
2) drop
3) handling performance
4) adjustability
5) price

I chose the H&R/Tokico combo because of the closer to stock ride than Eibachs and a slightly lower drop for the H&Rs and the unavailability of other struts at the time of purchase.

Do a search and read the FAQ, it'll give you a lot of info.
Old 09-05-2001, 12:02 AM

i just want the look, and the feel to be as close to sstock as much as possible. most people are saying that H&R/Tokicos are better, but I might be able to get Eibach's for about $170, so should I jump on this deal?
Old 09-05-2001, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by myktek
i just want the look, and the feel to be as close to sstock as much as possible. most people are saying that H&R/Tokicos are better, but I might be able to get Eibach's for about $170, so should I jump on this deal?
Well, I would look into the Progress Springs that has been talked about recently. If I remember correctly, they have a lower drop than H&Rs, cost about $130, and have the stock ride. Try finding those owners...don't recall right now.
Old 09-05-2001, 01:23 AM

The guy with the Progress Springs is maxedout2g
Old 09-05-2001, 02:01 AM
JET Speed Lab

Originally posted by mbcp_tdogg
The guy with the Progress Springs is maxedout2g
how fast we forget the important people on the org... ahem..read somebodys sig..
Old 09-05-2001, 02:36 AM
RBa

Originally posted by ToYLeT902

how fast we forget the important people on the org... ahem..read somebodys sig..
I'm waiting for the KYBs to come out and planning on combining them with some Ground Controls!!!!!
Old 09-05-2001, 04:47 AM
Got Bent?

man, I need those KYBs..... i hate the 4x4 look I have going
Old 09-05-2001, 11:21 AM
JET Speed Lab

Originally posted by RBa

I'm waiting for the KYBs to come out and planning on combining them with some Ground Controls!!!!!
remember before i did my suspension i asked you.. "what company makes ground controls?"
Old 09-05-2001, 11:25 AM

Didn't Kev say the GC's "click" when you turn too hard? I like the adjustability idea but I don't want any funny noises. I'll probably get the H&R/Tokico combo unless someone says the KYB's are better...
Old 09-05-2001, 03:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Help me out here in understanding......

I dont understand why everyone has to replace the stock shocks with Tokicos? My car has only like 2000miles on it and why should I replace the stock SE shocks?

Are the Tokicos that much better? Plus if people are saying that the Progress/Tokico is the most stock like setup, what if I only change the springs?

I basically need to know what is wrong with not changing the shocks and why there is an advantage? I dont want a ROUGHER ride, I cant stand the bumping off my seat when I go over a speedbump.

Dixit
Old 09-05-2001, 05:38 PM
Got Bent?

Re: Help me out here in understanding......

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
I dont understand why everyone has to replace the stock shocks with Tokicos? My car has only like 2000miles on it and why should I replace the stock SE shocks?

Are the Tokicos that much better? Plus if people are saying that the Progress/Tokico is the most stock like setup, what if I only change the springs?

I basically need to know what is wrong with not changing the shocks and why there is an advantage? I dont want a ROUGHER ride, I cant stand the bumping off my seat when I go over a speedbump.

Dixit
well, with aftermarket springs, you will be putting more stress on your stock struts and they will wear out faster. You will eventually have to replace them anyways. So, rather than spending time and money on two installs, you might as well replace the suspension components once. Also, aftermarket struts should ride smoother than lowering springs and stock struts. It depends on the springs also, however. If you get H&R's, you may be able to get away with using the stock struts since H&R's aren't much stiffer than stock. But with Eibachs, or any springs that go lower or stiffer, you should think about replacing struts at the same time.
Old 09-05-2001, 05:55 PM

Re: Re: Help me out here in understanding......

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

well, with aftermarket springs, you will be putting more stress on your stock struts and they will wear out faster. You will eventually have to replace them anyways. So, rather than spending time and money on two installs, you might as well replace the suspension components once.
Agreed. The $$$ for install was my primary concern.
Old 09-05-2001, 07:40 PM

as soon as i installed my eibachs i heard a wierd noise come to find out my front left strut couldnt take the stiffness of the eibachs! so now i have both blown BAD!!! i mean bad rattles from both sides over speed bumps it is bad
i need struts and got a quote of 290 all around for tokicos should i do it or wiat for the KYB's? what advantages are offered by the KYB's besides the adjustablity? how much more will they cost? let me know please need new struts soon!
Old 09-05-2001, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by WILLSE
as soon as i installed my eibachs i heard a wierd noise come to find out my front left strut couldnt take the stiffness of the eibachs! so now i have both blown BAD!!! i mean bad rattles from both sides over speed bumps it is bad
i need struts and got a quote of 290 all around for tokicos should i do it or wiat for the KYB's? what advantages are offered by the KYB's besides the adjustablity? how much more will they cost? let me know please need new struts soon!

hey yo, what kind of sound was ur car making....cuz rite now, i hear it at times, and other times i dont, esp when im reversing, i hear a knocking sound for like a second in the front of the car, sounds like its coming from the driver side area....please dont tell me ive blown my struts already....my dads ****ed off that i dropped the car in the first place, and if i tell him i need new struts he'll prolly shoot me.....
A_T_W
Old 09-05-2001, 09:43 PM
PhatGuy

I have the H&R installed on my car and love them. I would not want my car to be any more rough than it is now. They are very nice since the drop isn't too drastic. Corner and high speed stabilty is dramatically improved! They are similar to stock but you will feel bumps you never felt before.

Originally posted by myktek
ok, i was wondering what ya'll think is the best combination for lowering your max. . .
I was thinking about getting eibach and tokicos. . .?

Old 09-05-2001, 10:16 PM
JET Speed Lab

Originally posted by MaxedOut2g

hey yo, what kind of sound was ur car making....cuz rite now, i hear it at times, and other times i dont, esp when im reversing, i hear a knocking sound for like a second in the front of the car, sounds like its coming from the driver side area....please dont tell me ive blown my struts already....my dads ****ed off that i dropped the car in the first place, and if i tell him i need new struts he'll prolly shoot me.....
A_T_W
how did they notice? it doesnt look that much different if your not a car person..
Old 09-05-2001, 11:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Help me out here in understanding......

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

well, with aftermarket springs, you will be putting more stress on your stock struts and they will wear out faster. You will eventually have to replace them anyways. So, rather than spending time and money on two installs, you might as well replace the suspension components once. Also, aftermarket struts should ride smoother than lowering springs and stock struts. It depends on the springs also, however. If you get H&R's, you may be able to get away with using the stock struts since H&R's aren't much stiffer than stock. But with Eibachs, or any springs that go lower or stiffer, you should think about replacing struts at the same time.
What about Progress springs? They go lower than Eibachs and H&R, so will it be recommeded that I put new struts on those? And how is the ride on the Progress? rougher or sort of like the H&Rs?

Dixit
Old 09-06-2001, 12:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I need closure!

So we are left the with following conclusion:

Eibach - stiff
H&R - lower than Eibach but ride is better than eibach
Progress- even lower than H&R but ride quality is ??? better than H&R, worse??

I think I just may do coilovers.
Old 09-06-2001, 12:48 AM
JET Speed Lab

Originally posted by cobymoby
I need closure!

So we are left the with following conclusion:

Eibach - stiff
H&R - lower than Eibach but ride is better than eibach
Progress- even lower than H&R but ride quality is ??? better than H&R, worse??

I think I just may do coilovers.
go to clee's new page for reviews

http://www.maximaproducts.f2s.com/
Old 09-06-2001, 12:49 AM

ok, so if i want the stock ride and lowered car, then i should go with H&R and Tokicos. Is that the opinion of most people? Does it matter that I might be getting 18" rims?