5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2K2 Headlamp How-To Write Up

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2001, 08:30 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Still under construction!

I threw it together after work last night, so I'm still going to add/modify it. Let me know if you don't understand something by telling me which PART/Step. Post ANY questions here. Thanks.

http://maxima.cardomain.com/member_p...=143972&page=4
Old 09-07-2001, 08:39 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I received the HIDs yesterday! Hopefully I can hook them up tonight using both you and Dixit's writeups. We really appreciate your write-ups. Thanks
Old 09-07-2001, 09:41 AM

Hey Ice, Thanks for the write up. Hey kev, let us other 2k maxima know if the wiring colors are the same. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2001, 10:02 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Hey Alex

First of all, thanks.

Second, a couple points I would like you to clarify for my slow and feable mind.

1) For the 9005 power taps, there is one for each 9005 instance correct? I.E. two power wires, one for the left and one for the right, correct?
2) For the steps that stated:
**Cut Running Lamps GREEN w/WHITE and BLACK wires leaving enough GREEN w/WHITE to splice on the Running Lamp. Heat shrink loose ends off 3-pin plug.pic6 **Connect either BLACK Turn Signal wire to BLACK Running Lamp wire and BOTH to BLACK Nissan wire.pic7, pic8

I am not 100% sure about this step. You are refering to the NEW lamps running light correct? What was the running light on the old one? Am I just matching up wires?

Let me know...
Old 09-07-2001, 11:25 AM

Re: Hey Alex

Originally posted by Colonel
First of all, thanks.

Second, a couple points I would like you to clarify for my slow and feable mind.

1) For the 9005 power taps, there is one for each 9005 instance correct? I.E. two power wires, one for the left and one for the right, correct?
2) For the steps that stated:
**Cut Running Lamps GREEN w/WHITE and BLACK wires leaving enough GREEN w/WHITE to splice on the Running Lamp. Heat shrink loose ends off 3-pin plug.pic6 **Connect either BLACK Turn Signal wire to BLACK Running Lamp wire and BOTH to BLACK Nissan wire.pic7, pic8

I am not 100% sure about this step. You are refering to the NEW lamps running light correct? What was the running light on the old one? Am I just matching up wires?

Let me know...
1)Yes, the writeup is for ONE side only. So, you need to add (2)power wires with inline fuses. One for each 9005.

**Cut Running Lamps GREEN w/WHITE and BLACK wires leaving enough GREEN w/WHITE to splice on the Running Lamp. Heat shrink loose ends off 3-pin plug
You have to cut the wires on the 2K2 headlamp between the 3-pin plug and the Running Lamp bulb. This allows you to splice the bulb-side of the cut wires to the Nissan Turn Signal wires. I used the POWER and GROUND off the Nissans' old Turn Signal harness(cut off now). I isolated the Running Lamp/Blinker this way the ONLY wires used on the 3-pin harness are a POWER and GROUND for the HID.

**Connect either BLACK Turn Signal wire to BLACK Running Lamp wire and BOTH to BLACK Nissan wire
I connected both the Turn Signals' and Running Lamps' GROUND wire to the Nissans' old Turn Signal harness.
Old 09-07-2001, 11:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
I received the HIDs yesterday! Hopefully I can hook them up tonight using both you and Dixit's writeups. We really appreciate your write-ups. Thanks
did u get the clip as well? i thought they were backordered?
Old 09-07-2001, 11:49 AM

Wiring Set-up

Hi Alex,
I have diagramed both yours and bigdog's wiring set up, and I have a few questions too.

(Passenger side for now)
In big dogs set up, he wires his 9005 High beam black wire AND the Xenon red wire to the Orange/Black wire of the Nissan Harness. In your write up, you said you ran an inline fuse to the battery for the 9005 and only connect the red xenon wire to Orange/Black Nissan wires. Any particular reason why do it one way or the other? I imagine it will be a strain on the harness to support both lights but id like your opinion.

Also, can you please clarify what you mean in PART 3 STEP 2.
About using a flat head and removing the female connectors. I mean, can we just snip that whole H-4 plug off and strip the wires? Or is it a cleaner fit?

In Part2 Step 4 do you mean green with Black? Because your picture(passenger turn signal Nissan Harness) shows a Green/Black line not a Green/Yellow line.

Part 3 step 4 asks to set a seperate ground using a ring connector for the xenon ground. Why not ground the xenon to the Blue/Blck line(low ground) of the Nissan H-4 plug? It seems like its all alone otherwise with no use.

Finally, in your first step, you ask to cut the green/white wire from the parking light as well as the black ground. I saw your reason for the cutting the black ground in another post(thanks that answered my question on that point) But the green/white is where Im stuck! The wiring harness for the Xenon that Dave provides has three black wires. One connects to the Red and the black wires from the Xenon, and the other (outside wire) connects directly to the Green/white wire of the parking light. Why not just splice into that black "clean"line (of DaveB's harness) and connect that wire directly to the Red/Yellow .Instead of cutting the green/white wire and shrink tubing the other side etc? Also, I don't see what wire is to be spliced onto the green/white wire.(it says leave enough green/white to splice into, but do you splice into it?

Anyways, thanks for any help, I hope its clear what im asking.
Old 09-07-2001, 12:04 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Re: Hey Alex

Originally posted by IceY2K1

You have to cut the wires on the 2K2 headlamp between the 3-pin plug and the Running Lamp bulb. This allows you to splice the bulb-side of the cut wires to the Nissan Turn Signal wires. I used the POWER and GROUND off the Nissans' old Turn Signal harness(cut off now). I isolated the Running Lamp/Blinker this way the ONLY wires used on the 3-pin harness are a POWER and GROUND for the HID.

I connected both the Turn Signals' and Running Lamps' GROUND wire to the Nissans' old Turn Signal harness.[img]
Ah...thank you. I did not know that the Nissan '02 harness was wired together in that manner. Now it makes much more sense...he he..I am slow, forgive me.

In response to DrOmed,

Pop out the connectors on the H4 plug so it is not permantly removed and can easily be put back together.

For the separate wire for the 9005's, is so that the HI and LOW work at the same time.

Hope that helps a bit and Alex will answer the rest....
Old 09-07-2001, 12:16 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by ohboiya

did u get the clip as well? i thought they were backordered?
No clip yet. I'm not planning on using the clip yet.
Old 09-07-2001, 12:24 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

your faint alarm light..

yeah, I think #1 problem should be addressed soon. You are bleeding back power off your direct tap to the battery on the 9005's. Who knows what path that current is taking to get to your alarm control. Luckily, it probably draws very little current (hence its faint). I would certainly not tap the battery directly without relays (at the very least, a relay that was ignition triggered).

Oh, and great work, much appreciated.
Old 09-07-2001, 01:19 PM

Hey Alex,
First off I have a question about ur write up. So what kind of wirings and kits, if any, do we really need before we start on the conversion? Thanks
Another point about problem #1, where u have the hi-beam light blinking faintly, is that there may be too much current goin thru the alarm system, like TimW said. Cuz I ran into a similar problem installing one of those LED-Scanner on my car. I tap the source from the alarm/clock console to try to power the Scanner but it didn't provide enough power to the LED and the alarm light,so then my brother decided to add more power to it by hooking up a 9V battery to give it some more juice, and that's when he fried something. After that my alarm/clock console has that security light faintly flashing and it seemed like it was always on. I eventually got it fixed, where I had the control unit replaced.
Old 09-07-2001, 04:20 PM

Re: Wiring Set-up

Originally posted by DrOmed
Passenger side for now)
In big dogs set up, he wires his 9005 High beam black wire AND the Xenon red wire to the Orange/Black wire of the Nissan Harness. In your write up, you said you ran an inline fuse to the battery for the 9005 and only connect the red xenon wire to Orange/Black Nissan wires. Any particular reason why do it one way or the other? I imagine it will be a strain on the harness to support both lights but id like your opinion.
He uses ONE power source for BOTH the HIDs and 9005s, but BOTH are NOT on otherwise he would overtax the harness. The way it switches the lights is by switching which wire to use as ground. Basically, the stock harness' 12V source wire uses the HID path to ground for LOW-beams or the 9005 path to ground for HIGH-beams pm Dixit setup.

I ran the 9005 ground source over the stock harness(60Watts) and the HID power source(35Watts), which is less than what the stock harness ran before.

Also, can you please clarify what you mean in PART 3 STEP 2. About using a flat head and removing the female connectors. I mean, can we just snip that whole H-4 plug off and strip the wires? Or is it a cleaner fit?
Yes, you can just cut it off, but I wanted to have the ability to go back to the stock H4 plug without re-splicing it back on.

In Part2 Step 4 do you mean green with Black? Because your picture(passenger turn signal Nissan Harness) shows a Green/Black line not a Green/Yellow line.
One picture is the Passenger side and the other is the Driver side. See my new diagrams for help.

Part 3 step 4 asks to set a seperate ground using a ring connector for the xenon ground. Why not ground the xenon to the Blue/Blck line(low ground) of the Nissan H-4 plug? It seems like its all alone otherwise with no use.
Because then your HIDs will turn OFF when you switch to HIGH-beams as Dixits' setup does.

Finally, in your first step, you ask to cut the green/white wire from the parking light as well as the black ground. I saw your reason for the cutting the black ground in another post(thanks that answered my question on that point) But the green/white is where Im stuck! The wiring harness for the Xenon that Dave provides has three black wires. One connects to the Red and the black wires from the Xenon, and the other (outside wire) connects directly to the Green/white wire of the parking light. Why not just splice into that black "clean"line (of DaveB's harness) and connect that wire directly to the Red/Yellow .Instead of cutting the green/white wire and shrink tubing the other side etc? Also, I don't see what wire is to be spliced onto the green/white wire.(it says leave enough green/white to splice into, but do you splice into it?
Yes, you could have. I just didn't think of it at the time. Last, there are MULTIPLE ways to wire the system, I just drew something up and focused on the HID/9005 LO&HIs problem and really didn't spend much time figuring out the BEST way to wire the TURN/BLINKER lights.
Old 09-07-2001, 04:29 PM

Re: your faint alarm light..

Originally posted by TimW
yeah, I think #1 problem should be addressed soon. You are bleeding back power off your direct tap to the battery on the 9005's. Who knows what path that current is taking to get to your alarm control. Luckily, it probably draws very little current (hence its faint). I would certainly not tap the battery directly without relays (at the very least, a relay that was ignition triggered).

Oh, and great work, much appreciated.
I measured 0.7 Amps withOUT the HI-beam indicator blinking.
that's with other stuff such as ECU, Smart Entrance Control Unit, LED, Headlamp Battery Saver Unit, etc... still operating.

With the HI-beam indicator flashing I measured 0.08-0.14 Amps, so I'm NOT too concerned about it.
Old 09-07-2001, 05:27 PM

Re: Re: Wiring Set-up

Originally posted by IceY2K1

He uses ONE power source for BOTH the HIDs and 9005s, but BOTH are NOT on otherwise he would overtax the harness. The way it switches the lights is by switching which wire to use as ground. Basically, the stock harness' 12V source wire uses the HID path to ground for LOW-beams or the 9005 path to ground for HIGH-beams pm Dixit setup.

I ran the 9005 ground source over the stock harness(60Watts) and the HID power source(35Watts), which is less than what the stock harness ran before.

Yes, you can just cut it off, but I wanted to have the ability to go back to the stock H4 plug without re-splicing it back on.

One picture is the Passenger side and the other is the Driver side. See my new diagrams for help.

Because then your HIDs will turn OFF when you switch to HIGH-beams as Dixits' setup does.

Yes, you could have. I just didn't think of it at the time. Last, there are MULTIPLE ways to wire the system, I just drew something up and focused on the HID/9005 LO&HIs problem and really didn't spend much time figuring out the BEST way to wire the TURN/BLINKER lights.
Y2k: Excellent responses and thorough explanation..Thanks
I do my transplant tomorrow. Will have picks (although identical to yours i.e. go an SE White 2K1 last Wednesday)
Old 09-07-2001, 05:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How r u guys doing all this w/o the clip? Is it really unnecessary? Did you guys get the Hella Relays from classicgarage.com?

tkx!
Old 09-07-2001, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by ohboiya
How r u guys doing all this w/o the clip? Is it really unnecessary? Did you guys get the Hella Relays from classicgarage.com?

tkx!
If your refering to the WHITE mounting clip, then you can still do the install without it. However, the housing wiggles whenever you go over a medium size bump, so you'll need to reinstall the headlamps with the 2K2 clip otherwise your top supports could break due to the added stress.
Old 09-07-2001, 06:16 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

who stole your centercaps?

Old 09-07-2001, 06:44 PM

Re: ...

Originally posted by TimW
who stole your centercaps?

Nobody. I like how it looks plus it makes mine look different than the 4-5 IDENTICAL others that I ALWAYS see. Actually, I took them off at the track and just never put them back on. Now I like it.