5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Oh My God.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2001, 09:48 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

whew~~~~
last night, a camaro tried to cut me off(i was in his blind spot) and i had to slam on my breaks...i felt the ABS kick in and suddenly, 'bang!' and i lost all pressure from the break pedal....i was pumping the break pedal and downshifting like a **** and in the end, i had to pull the hand brake to bring the car to a stop....whew~~~~~
i got out of my car and noticed that my break fluids were all over my right side fender...a popped line...

well, good news is my car's in the shop safely and it's gettig fixed...
Old 09-07-2001, 09:57 AM
PhatGuy

Damn that is scary! Our stock brakes suck for sure. I wonder how much it would cost to replace the lines with stainless steel ones? And the pads too?

Originally posted by irvine78
whew~~~~
last night, a camaro tried to cut me off(i was in his blind spot) and i had to slam on my breaks...i felt the ABS kick in and suddenly, 'bang!' and i lost all pressure from the break pedal....i was pumping the break pedal and downshifting like a **** and in the end, i had to pull the hand brake to bring the car to a stop....whew~~~~~
i got out of my car and noticed that my break fluids were all over my right side fender...a popped line...

well, good news is my car's in the shop safely and it's gettig fixed...

Old 09-07-2001, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by PhatGuy
Damn that is scary! Our stock brakes suck for sure. I wonder how much it would cost to replace the lines with stainless steel ones? And the pads too?

dude...
i don't have 'stock' breaks...i have aftermarket slotted rotors with SS breaklines....
one of the lines popped out or something last night..
it was too dark to tell...i'm leaving in 30 minutes to go back and check on my car...

the rotors were around $85-$100(depends on what kinds and how many slots you want on your rotors), $60 for the SS lines, and $65 each for pads...($65 for the front and rear)
Old 09-07-2001, 10:17 AM
Got Bent?

wow.... glad you made it out of that ok
Old 09-07-2001, 10:22 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Good thing nothing bad happened. That's what you get for buying cheap stuff. j/k
Old 09-07-2001, 10:27 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

IT'S SPELLED:

B-R-A-K-E-S !
Old 09-07-2001, 10:35 AM

sorry to get off the topic Irvine78....

but I was wondering how much you paid for that touring lip spoiler and where you got it. I actually want to get the stillen aerokits side skirts and rear valence with the stillen front lip spoiler.
Old 09-07-2001, 10:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mzmtg
IT'S SPELLED:

B-R-A-K-E-S !
that's what I was going 2 post as well ... stupid koreans .. sheesh

btw ... glad e/t turned out ok ... was it b/c of faulty installation the first time that it popped out?
Old 09-07-2001, 11:02 AM

IT'S SPELLED:

B-R-A-K-E-S !
oops...my bad...brakes...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by acMAX
sorry to get off the topic Irvine78....
but I was wondering how much you paid for that touring lip spoiler and where you got it. I actually want to get the stillen aerokits side skirts and rear valence with the stillen front lip spoiler.

no problem...i got the front lip from Stillen. i didn't have to pay for it since i was the 'picture-car-for-the-touring-lip', but it's sold for around $351...(at least that's what it said on the invoice)...anywayz....yeah....
Old 09-07-2001, 11:45 AM
PhatGuy

In this case I think it is spelled "breaks"
IT'S SPELLED:

B-R-A-K-E-S !

Old 09-07-2001, 11:47 AM
PhatGuy

My bad

I have to start reading those sigs again!

dude...
i don't have 'stock' breaks...i have aftermarket slotted rotors with SS breaklines....
it was too dark to tell...i'm leaving in 30 minutes to go back and check on my car...

the rotors were around $85-$100(depends on what kinds and how many slots you want on your rotors), $60 for the SS lines, and $65 each for pads...($65 for the front and rear)

Old 09-07-2001, 12:54 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

FYI

you are not the first to have a problem like that with the SS lines. I dont know why, but somebody else popped a SS line and had a near death experience.
Old 09-07-2001, 01:15 PM

Whew...glad you made it to safety.

What do you think went wrong with the lines to make them pop out like that?
Old 09-07-2001, 02:22 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

i suspect

they dont 'give' or expand. it puts more stress on the fittings and bends. but lets be honest, I'm just guessing...
Old 09-08-2001, 01:24 AM

ok, this is what exactly happened...

to my 'brakes'....

my right front SS lines got caught by my axle and it was punctured...which led to complete loss of brake fluid and thus i couldn't stop very well....

it's all fixed now and back to normal...

on a separate note, while the car was getting fixed, i also installed the Unorthodox Racing Pulley and belts..i think the pulley helped me gain little bit more power without the typical side-effects associated with it: more effort in power steering and less AC....i really don't think the pulley causes this in our cars...
Old 09-08-2001, 06:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: ok, this is what exactly happened...

on a separate note, while the car was getting fixed, i also installed the Unorthodox Racing Pulley and belts..i think the pulley helped me gain little bit more power without the typical side-effects associated with it: more effort in power steering and less AC....i really don't think the pulley causes this in our cars...
hey .. where'd u buy the udp?

glad u figured out what was wrong ... when I install mine .. gotta make sure I tell them 2 b aware of that ... tkx
Old 09-08-2001, 06:43 AM
Got Bent?

I noticed no negative side effects of the UDP either... AC, electrical components, and power steering work just the same as before.
Old 09-08-2001, 11:17 AM

Re: Re: ok, this is what exactly happened...

Originally posted by ohboiya

hey .. where'd u buy the udp?

glad u figured out what was wrong ... when I install mine .. gotta make sure I tell them 2 b aware of that ... tkx
i bought the pulley from Premier autoworks in La Habra, California. I always take my car there to get serviced and install parts. they had the pulley in their shelf. i paid $180 for the pulley and $25 for the belts.

now as far as the SS lines go..just make sure they are not touching or near the axle. make sure they don't sag too much and you'll be fine!
Old 09-08-2001, 01:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: ok, this is what exactly happened...

i bought the pulley from Premier autoworks in La Habra, California. I always take my car there to get serviced and install parts.

Do they do regular services like the dealer? How are they in terms of price and customer service because if they're good...they've definitely got a potential customer in my Max.
Old 09-08-2001, 04:57 PM

dude...

Hey did all that good brake stuff make a noticable diff? Like better stopping friction, pedal feel, fade, and no warpage?
Old 09-09-2001, 12:43 AM

on a separate note, while the car was getting fixed, i also installed the Unorthodox Racing Pulley and belts..
nice. i guess that's one way of turning this into a mod opportunity.

sorry to say this irvine78, i dig your touring spoiler in front but i think it may look even better with the side spoilers too.

and thanks for the tip on Premier. i've been looking for a non-nissan service shop.
Old 09-09-2001, 01:31 PM

Re: Re: ok, this is what exactly happened...

Originally posted by serin

nice. i guess that's one way of turning this into a mod opportunity.

sorry to say this irvine78, i dig your touring spoiler in front but i think it may look even better with the side spoilers too.

and thanks for the tip on Premier. i've been looking for a non-nissan service shop.
don't feel sorry about it...i want the rest of my bodykit more so than anyone else in this forum...just having a little cash flow problems these days...that's all..

Do they do regular services like the dealer? How are they in terms of price and customer service because if they're good...they've definitely got a potential customer in my Max.

yeah, they do regular dealer service as well as any warranty repair and even bodywork. they are ASE certified, so it's not like any other local rice/speed shop run by kids.

Hey did all that good brake stuff make a noticable diff? Like better stopping friction, pedal feel, fade, and no warpage?

the upgrade to slotted rotors(in my case 10 each per rotor, instead of 5), SS branklines and full metal brake pads, do promote better efficiency in venting out gas under breaking, better pedal feel and less fade...which translats to less chance of warping your rotors and shorter stopping distance.
Old 09-09-2001, 03:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: ok, this is what exactly happened...

yeah, they do regular dealer service as well as any warranty repair and even bodywork. they are ASE certified, so it's not like any other local rice/speed shop run by kids.
Thanks Hoon. Anyone in particular I should talk to over there?
Old 09-09-2001, 11:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: ok, this is what exactly happened...

Originally posted by mbcp_tdogg

Thanks Hoon. Anyone in particular I should talk to over there?
talk to Kennedy...
Old 09-10-2001, 12:01 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ok, this is what exactly happened...

talk to Kennedy...
Thanks.
Old 09-10-2001, 12:05 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ok, this is what exactly happened...

Thanks.
hey man. where you from? i'm in fullerton.
Old 09-10-2001, 12:46 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ok, this is what exactly happened...

i think he's from LA
Old 09-10-2001, 10:33 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ok, this is what exactly happened...

I'm from the Arcadia/Monrovia area but I'm down near the Rowland Hts area quite often.
Old 09-10-2001, 01:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ok, this is what exactly happened...

I'm from the Arcadia/Monrovia area but I'm down near the Rowland Hts area quite often.
oh..i didn't know you come down to Rowland Hts alot.
Premier is only about 10 minutes from Rowland Hts.
anywayz...me and my friends used to go to Rowland Hts from Irvine just to race down on 57 freeway..
Old 09-10-2001, 02:51 PM

my church is in rowland hts. so i'm there every weekend. i'm planning on calling up that kennedy guy to have some basic service done. i'll be needing some type of 36k + mile service done.
Old 09-10-2001, 03:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ok, this is what exactly happened...

oh..i didn't know you come down to Rowland Hts alot.
Premier is only about 10 minutes from Rowland Hts.
anywayz...me and my friends used to go to Rowland Hts from Irvine just to race down on 57 freeway..
Ah...the 57 freeway. Lots of good uninterrupted straightaways and twisties. I'll look for a bunch of Maxes the next time I go that way.

Serin: Keep us updated. I would be interested in your experience there.
Old 09-10-2001, 05:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ok, this is what exactly happened...

Ah...the 57 freeway. Lots of good uninterrupted straightaways and twisties. I'll look for a bunch of Maxes the next time I go that way.

Serin: Keep us updated. I would be interested in your experience there.
i can tell you this tho...lots of 'bumpy' straightaways and twisties...57 isn't one of the best freeways to race on, but it does have alot of 'Hondas' and 'Acuras' we can race..

serin: make sure you call Kennedy before you go to Premier.
you'll probably have to wait a while but i'm sure
no longer than what the dealer makes you wait.
just tell Kennedy you were referred by Hoon or
Dennis.
Old 09-10-2001, 11:53 PM

Glad to hear no one was hurt and you are back on the road safetly, irvine78. What kind of SS lines do you have? I got mine from Stillen, but I think the brand will still vary. Haven't installed them yet. Glad everything worked out for you!
Old 09-11-2001, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by SFMax20SE
Glad to hear no one was hurt and you are back on the road safetly, irvine78. What kind of SS lines do you have? I got mine from Stillen, but I think the brand will still vary. Haven't installed them yet. Glad everything worked out for you!
thanks...mine's actually a custom SS lines make by my shop.
didn't want to go through stillen for these...anywayz...
just make sure your line clears your suspension components..mine got snagged by my axle and that caused the line to rupture....
Old 09-13-2001, 08:47 PM

Re: i suspect

Originally posted by TimW
they dont 'give' or expand. it puts more stress on the fittings and bends. but lets be honest, I'm just guessing...
Partially true, though the fittings really don't see much more ultimate pressure than with a rubber hose setup. A LOT depends on the quality of the lines and the fittings and how well they are assembled. I work in construction and have seen many hydraulic leaks on equipment. I would say 95% of them are from worn hoses (even with SS braids). I have never seen a fitting flat out fail. I would say the moral of this story would be use the proper length hose and make sure it is routed properly away from any moving or abrasive parts.
BTW, some SS lines (such as many of Earls) are DOT approved. To stay out of insurance problems, you may want to make sure your hoses are rated as such. If you get in a wreck in the case of brake failure and your insurance discovers your lines are not DOT approved, I would be supprised if they would still cover you. I know a few local shops that will make custom hoses but they are legally restriced from making SS lines for automotive brake use on public roads due to this problem. A great place to get clutch lines and such though!
Old 09-14-2001, 01:23 AM

The exact same thing happened to me. About 1.5 years ago, I was on vacation in Miami and my driver's side SS line ruptured while I was braking hard to stop for a red light. Blew threw the intersection, good thing it was deserted and barely stopped the car with the parking brake. All of a sudden, POP. That was about 3 months after I got my 300ZX brake swap.

to my 'brakes'....

my right front SS lines got caught by my axle and it was punctured...which led to complete loss of brake fluid and thus i couldn't stop very well....

it's all fixed now and back to normal...