5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Oil checking question ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2001, 02:26 PM

Hey everyone,

I know I'm a bit colorblind, being a male and all, (male's are suppossed to have a higher color blind rate than females -I think??) but I am having a difficult time reading my oil on the dipstick. I find that looking at the back of the oil stick, not the front where the full and low indicators are, is a lot more easier to register on my eyes, but I am questioning the accuracy of looking at the back due to the way the stick bends and all. My question, is it okay/accurate to look at the back of the oil dipstick to measure engine oil level, and if not, what is everyone else doing ?

Thanks
Old 09-15-2001, 03:01 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

have someone else read it for you?
Old 09-15-2001, 03:25 PM

I've read another post on this forum once before about the way the oil displays on the Nissan oil stick (specifically about it being hard to read)and even if I did ask someone else (which I wouldn't) I don't think anyone else could honestly get an accurate reading without guessing. I'm a bit of a fanatic with checking my oil on my new max as a result of not checking it regulary with a previous car and therefore had experienced an annoying pinging sound from probable damage to lifters. The oil might show somewhere around Low on the front of the dipstick, but on the back, it is definitely higher, at least in my opinion. Anybody else have any suggestions?
Old 09-16-2001, 04:49 AM

Originally posted by JLauric
I've read another post on this forum once before about the way the oil displays on the Nissan oil stick (specifically about it being hard to read)and even if I did ask someone else (which I wouldn't) I don't think anyone else could honestly get an accurate reading without guessing. I'm a bit of a fanatic with checking my oil on my new max as a result of not checking it regulary with a previous car and therefore had experienced an annoying pinging sound from probable damage to lifters. The oil might show somewhere around Low on the front of the dipstick, but on the back, it is definitely higher, at least in my opinion. Anybody else have any suggestions?
I've had the same experience. It's best to read the dispstick in the morning before the first drive of the day. I check both front and back--use the lowest 'solid' reading you see.
Old 09-16-2001, 05:33 AM

I know it varies based on individual driving, but on average, how much oil if any does everyone add between a 3,000 mile oil change period for a manual tranny with an engine pushing 5,000 miles ? I think that manual cars overall tend to burn more oil, but again, that might also be dependent on one's driving habits.
Old 09-16-2001, 05:46 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

sometimes when i checked, and it seems a bit low, I would estimate that i add about less than 6 ounces of oil. But it rarely needs any extra oil.
Old 09-16-2001, 05:54 AM

welcome to our world

Originally posted by JLauric
Hey everyone,

I know I'm a bit colorblind, being a male and all, (male's are suppossed to have a higher color blind rate than females -I think??) but I am having a difficult time reading my oil on the dipstick. I find that looking at the back of the oil stick, not the front where the full and low indicators are, is a lot more easier to register on my eyes, but I am questioning the accuracy of looking at the back due to the way the stick bends and all. My question, is it okay/accurate to look at the back of the oil dipstick to measure engine oil level, and if not, what is everyone else doing ?

Thanks
Haha when I first got the Maxima I experienced the same thing. What you will also notice is that if you park in a space that is not level (and we're not talking alot), you will get different readings depending on which way you park. It's perfectly fine to take your reading on the side without marks, place your thumb at the mark and flip it over. You should add zero oil between changes, which I would suggest at around 4500 or so. I did the 3k thing for a while and it's overkill and a waste of resources.

When I first posed the question I'd get some wise-*** responses too, because many people here haven't owned any other cars. On our Volvo S70, you can check the oil right after it's been shut-off, it can be parked on a hill, you'll get a good reading. The other thing different is the oil on the Volvo's dipstick stays perfectly clear for about 1500 miles. You have to look really closely to see it. The Nissan turns light brown immediately.
Old 09-16-2001, 06:09 AM

Re: welcome to our world

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

The other thing different is the oil on the Volvo's dipstick stays perfectly clear for about 1500 miles. You have to look really closely to see it. The Nissan turns light brown immediately.
- I'm glad to see that others have had similiar experiences as well. I find that my oil is too clear on the front side of the oil stick but much darker and easier to read on the back of the stick. On any other car I have owned, the oil was darker and easier to see on the oil stick. I guess I'll just read the back provided that it won't hurt.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 09-20-2001, 08:29 AM

It is easier on the back, so why not continue the line on the back with a knive. Then you can read either side. Also, when the oil gets a little browner it will be easy to read.

Worst car I had to read the dip stick on was a Ferrari 308. The stick was about 2 feet long and smeared oil the whole length. I ended up putting a strip of white medical tape on the end to get a reading.
Dirty oil is easier to read though, it's just when it is new it's tough.