5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Reprogram ECM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2001, 11:36 AM
Got Bent?

Reprogram ECM?

Well, I decided to drop by a friendly local Nissan Dealer to have them check out the check engine light I am getting. They said they could not even look at it since it was Saturday and I didn't have an appointment. Oh well though. Anyways, I was talking to the service guy and he said that he has seen quite a few 2000 models come in with the light on. Most of them needed the ECM reprogrammed. I remember a few people here saying the same thing... So, anyone else get their ECM reprogrammed because of the check engine light?
Old 09-22-2001, 04:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you remember my light kept coming on after unplugging the battery at least 4 times. They reprogrammed the ECU and it definately feels better. I don't know if the fuel-cut TSB was part of it cuz its not bucking anymore during low speeds. I think you'll notice the difference.
Old 09-22-2001, 04:11 PM
Got Bent?

thanks for the reply... Yeah, I remembered someone having the same problem as me. I reset the thing 4 times already and it keeps coming back after shutting the car off and starting it again. I have an auto, so I don't think the fuel cut really applies to me. But, I guess I will find out what it is when I take it in next week
Old 09-23-2001, 05:19 AM

I may be the one you remember that had my ECM reprogrammed

Took the dealer about 3 hours. Car ran FANTASTIC afterwards. They said it needed it because of faulty readings. It smoothed out the whole drivetrain, totally eliminating my "Fuel Cutoff" symptoms. My recommendation...... GET IT DONE!
Old 09-23-2001, 07:57 AM

I'm having my TSB done right now. It was jerking at low RPMs.
Old 09-23-2001, 03:20 PM

Re: I may be the one you remember that had my ECM reprogrammed

Further down in the attached thread http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....k+engine+light is a detailed description of the simptoms I was experiencing that were resolved by the reprogrammed ECM. Hope this helps.
Old 09-23-2001, 06:00 PM
Got Bent?

thanks guys.... I have an auto, so I don't think the fuel cut applies here. But, if the ECU programming is messed up, then I guess that would explain why the car seems to run just fine even with the light. I just hope they don't give me trouble over mods. Luckily, if they simply check the code and know what to do, they won't even see the mods
Old 09-24-2001, 06:34 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Good luck!
Old 09-24-2001, 06:52 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Good luck!
thanks....

Old 09-24-2001, 06:57 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

thanks....

You're welcome....

Old 09-24-2001, 09:12 AM

I had my ECU reprogrammed, but after they did, it started to make this funny noise. As if something is winding down after the car shuts off. They told me it was normal because the programmed the car to leave some of the valves remain open for a couple of more seconds before the car completely shuts down. I brought it into another dealer and said something doesn't sound right, so I'm having that check tomorrow. I'll post an update when they get it done.
Old 09-24-2001, 10:49 AM

Had my ECU reprogrammed. No new noises!!!

Sounds like they are giving you BS.
Old 10-12-2001, 12:04 AM

Even with reprogramming...

I have had mine reprogrammed twice and the light still comes on after a couple of months. it is on again, and this is the 7th time I think ive had it come on in 42,000 miles.
Old 10-12-2001, 10:13 AM

Re: Even with reprogramming...

Originally posted by SaVas
I have had mine reprogrammed twice and the light still comes on after a couple of months. it is on again, and this is the 7th time I think ive had it come on in 42,000 miles.
Did you try going to another dealer?
Old 10-13-2001, 01:49 AM

Ha!

My check engine light has been on for about a year now, local dealer doesn't now how to fix it, MORONS!
Old 10-28-2001, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by nizmomx
I had my ECU reprogrammed, but after they did, it started to make this funny noise. As if something is winding down after the car shuts off. They told me it was normal because the programmed the car to leave some of the valves remain open for a couple of more seconds before the car completely shuts down. I brought it into another dealer and said something doesn't sound right, so I'm having that check tomorrow. I'll post an update when they get it done.
That "funny" noise is perfectly normal, and all Maximas since the VQ (95) do it. To really hear it....pull into a garage..park the car, and open the door. Then shut the engine off. You'll hear almost like an electronic winding noise...it lasts only a second or so. I've had 3 maximas since 95...they all did it..it is normal. it's the electronic choke.....you'll know this because if you start the car cold, then shut it off right away....the choke is still closed and you won't hear it. If you let the car run for a few minutes...to where you hear the RPMs come down a bit (that's when the EC changes)...then shut it off, you'll hear the electronic choke close again. I've been all over Nissan about this in my 95 SE....several dealers as well as the Nissan service zone guy explained it the same way. It's never been any problem so.....must be the right answer.
Old 10-29-2001, 07:03 AM

SaVas

Originally posted by SaVas
I doubt you had it reprogrammed even once. Don't listen to the dealer until you see some printouts from the computer they used to do it (forgot the name of it... something 2). I had numerous problems with the light:

1. Light came on, took it to the dealer. They kept it for 6 hours and said it was reprogrammed. BS! As it turned out later, they only turned the light off and changes 1-2 parameters.

2. 2 months later, light came on again. Took it to the same dealer, replaced the cat, said it was faulty and was giving error codes. More BS! That is when I realized what exactly happened.

3. Light was on again. Took it to a guy that was strongly recommended to me (works for Nissan). He tested it, said how incompetent my previous dealer was. I had an error code for the cat again. That however did not mean that the cat needed to be replaced. My computer still had the factory program revision. THEN, he reprogrammed the computer. Now, the revision code is different, my idle RPMs are not dropping anymore (and they did drop like crazy, car was shutting off), and have not had a single problem for months.

What makes me think your dealer is full of %$%# is that they said they reprogrammed it twice, and it is still giving you the same problems. Make them prove it! Generally, a car may only need to be reprogrammed once, unless someone screws up the first reprogramming. I would also suggest to try another dealer...

---
naid