5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

OSCAI and Rainy Day = BAD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2001, 06:03 AM
nismoxboo

OSCAI and Rainy Day = BAD!!!

I'm really down with the idea of cold air induction but the thing is.. all the designs i've seen so far don't prevent water from running into the throttle body or completely soaking the filter... AEM has an air bypass valve for their cold air intakes but i highly doubt it will fit on something so homemade made outta piping found at a hardware store.. so my question is.. has anyone built a CAI system for their max that keeps the water out and if not, how safe is it to drive around on rainy days or through puddles ?

- dan

Old 10-02-2001, 06:11 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

OSCAI has no problems with water at all. Please just look at the design and tellme you understand why...
Old 10-02-2001, 06:11 AM
Got Bent?

If you leave the stock air scoop intact, then that will act as a bypass. Many have used that setup in rain, etc.. without any issues so far. Sucking water up 2 feet of tubing is pretty tough, especially if the stock air scoop is still sucking in air.
Old 10-02-2001, 06:36 AM

possibly true

Last night on the way home it was raining. As I left work I told myself to drive slowly home due to my OSCAI and the possibility you mentioned (also there was the issue of my potenzas not holding on to the road). Things changed though when a suped up integra came charging up behind me and various glands in my body decided to release a bolus of testosterone and adrenaline into my bloodstream.

I started driving like a maniac and had immense fun. When I returned home I took out the filter to check it out. The filter itself didn't look wet but on the bottom edge of the back side there was water. I was a little worried and confused. I felt around inside the airbox and everything felt dry. I recently (2 weeks ago) cleaned and oiled the filter and this was definately water and not the filter oil. Oddly, there was no evidence of water on the front side of the filter.
Old 10-02-2001, 06:57 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

DON'T WORRY

I have an AEM CAI on my Accord V6 without bypass valve and the filter head sits down behind the front-left turn signal and head light.

I've driven through the remnants of hurricanes with torrential downpours harder than I've ever seen before and I drove for about an hour like that and had absolutely no problems whatsoever with the CAI and no bypass valve.

The only way water would be able to get completely past the filter and to get full hydrolock you'd pretty much need to drive through a flood, which you shouldn't be doing anyways...

Anyways, that's an Accord V6 though. I'm not 100% sure of how the OSCAI is setup but if these guys say don't worry about it then you can trust them
Old 10-02-2001, 07:15 AM

All the home made CAI's I've seen usually rout the intake to under the car or to the fender...anyone thought of using the stock air scoop (just the scoop) and cutting it off of the rest of the unit and just attaching a shop vac hose to that (you would prolly need some duct tape or something)? It seems like it would be better at preventing water from entering the filter cuz it's kinda tucked under the hood a little bit.
Old 10-02-2001, 07:23 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

Where's Russ? Where's Russ? I think he has some first hand knowledge of this topic to share.. (or ask him directly via PM)
Old 10-02-2001, 07:59 AM

Re: ...

AdBoy with 2k1AE has the same setup with the OSCAI I don't think he had any problem. PM him
Old 10-02-2001, 08:04 AM

If the stock air scoop is still getting air, as the standard OSCAI mod does, then you're fine. Has anyone done the OSCAI where just the tube gets airflow?
Old 10-02-2001, 08:25 AM
nismoxboo

Originally posted by ru4real
If the stock air scoop is still getting air, as the standard OSCAI mod does, then you're fine. Has anyone done the OSCAI where just the tube gets airflow?
i think BigDogJonx did something like that.. but just using the tube going directly into the throttle body is dangerous... rocks and bugs.... if that ever happend to me, i would probably cry...

Old 11-06-2001, 06:09 PM

Dumb question, but what does OSCAI stand for? I know PRCAI is the Place Racing CAI, but what is OS?? It sounds to me from the above posts that its some sort of custom homemade CAI. Am I wrong?
Thanks
Old 11-06-2001, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by araffio
Dumb question, but what does OSCAI stand for? I know PRCAI is the Place Racing CAI, but what is OS?? It sounds to me from the above posts that its some sort of custom homemade CAI. Am I wrong?
Thanks
OS stands for "Ooglie Stock". OSCAI is a homemade CAI. See the stickies for details.
Old 11-06-2001, 07:03 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: ...

Originally posted by TimW
Where's Russ? Where's Russ? I think he has some first hand knowledge of this topic to share.. (or ask him directly via PM)
Yeah, Conclusion, stock airbox and air scoop SUCKS! Mine was stock, and sucked up enough water to soak my filter and soak my engine into a hydro-lock! This was on my 98 Max btw. The OSCAI should be better since it has 2 forms of air sucking in, if one gets blocked it won't suck from it anymore, it will use the less restrictive route then.

Old 11-06-2001, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by araffio
Thanks

well I can't speak too much on the oscai, but I have the place racing CAI. I have drove through puddles, heavy rain, downpours, etc. I have had no problems. I don't have the bypass valve that I thought I needed but so-far-so good. No real issues. I was scared the last time it rained b/c 2 inches of rain fell in 15 min. I was driving at 55 on a two lane road. I hit puddles and everything, but like I said nothing happened. Lucky ... maybe, but in order to do real damage you have to dunk the entire filter. Once the entire filter is dunked it is possible for the water to go up the tube.
Old 11-06-2001, 07:17 PM
RussMaxManiac

Well, I know Don in Houston drives his max in the rain, and he has no FENDER LINER at all on that side protecting it. You just see the filter hanging in front of the tire standing next to the car. That is the way he drives in rain, and anything. He has taken trips in the rain with it. lol!!!

If you look really careful on this pic in front of the left front wheel, you will see the filter.

http://www.5thgenmaximas.com/russmaxmaniac/P3310035.JPG

Originally posted by ispeed

well I can't speak too much on the oscai, but I have the place racing CAI. I have drove through puddles, heavy rain, downpours, etc. I have had no problems. I don't have the bypass valve that I thought I needed but so-far-so good. No real issues. I was scared the last time it rained b/c 2 inches of rain fell in 15 min. I was driving at 55 on a two lane road. I hit puddles and everything, but like I said nothing happened. Lucky ... maybe, but in order to do real damage you have to dunk the entire filter. Once the entire filter is dunked it is possible for the water to go up the tube.