5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Grand Prix GTP vs. 2000 Maxima Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2001, 10:02 AM
is invisible

Isn't this a "Search" topic?

GTP threads always invite flames.
Old 10-05-2001, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by PrinzII

Uhhhh.....

GT: N/A 225 hp 3800 series V6
Where did you get the numbers for the GT? What I see on their website is 200 horses for the GT.
Old 10-05-2001, 12:56 PM

What????

"The heavier the car, the more it will feel like its hauling *** with more TQ. When it really isn't."

No offense, but that is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard!
Old 10-05-2001, 01:21 PM
OG and counting...

Originally posted by Matticus

Where did you get the numbers for the GT? What I see on their website is 200 horses for the GT.
I stand corrected. The Camaro/Firebird have 225 (Same V6). Goes to show you that GM uses the same motor for so many cars.
Old 10-05-2001, 01:29 PM
jaywoo

After reading through the entire 4 page thread, all I can say is WHEW!! As you can see by my profile, I have a GTP, with a couple of mods The few times I've been to the track here in central Arkansas, I haven't seen any Maximas, so I have no idea how quick they run. My neighbor has a 97 Max, it runs pretty quick, but he's no match for me. Just to set the record straight, track times for the GTPs: Most of the more modded cars (like me)run high to mid 13s at the track (the 1.9-2.0 60' times help alot!).They will run in the neighborhood of 98-105mph trap speed. Lightly modded cars run low 14s, stock high 14s, maybe a 15 flat. A few guys have went all out and have gotten them in the 12s, but they're alot more dedicated to racing then I am. As far as the N/A GTs, I have no clue. If any one here lives in central Arkansas and would like a race, let me know. Peace!

Old 10-05-2001, 02:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I to am a "sh**ty GTP" owner, as some of you call us. I know that there is going to be 'discussions' about different cars and what not. I'm just surprised that you are trying to compare a stock GTP to a modded/SC'd Max. What HP increase do you see with a SC'er on a Max? Let's just say that you get 75HP increase for the SC'er. With that you need to race a GTP that is mildly modded (ie. pulley, intake, PCM and exhaust.) That would make a more fair judgement of who would win.

Dave.....MaddMax......I can't believe that you're calling us KC guys out like that. I'm sure that I can run with you easily and I run in complete street trim. I still have my 3.8 stock pulley on right now and I'd probably still pull on you from any speed.

Now.....I'm not calling Dave out, I know him from GPG and from clubgp.com He's a good guy and VERY level headed about us Grand Prix guys.

You all just have to understand that if you're going to compare, just make it apples to apples. I know, the GTP is SC'd. But it's from the factory that way. That's like saying that the Ford Lightning has an unfair advantage against other cars out there because it has a SC'er. I'm sorry that Nissan didn't put a SC'er on your cars. I know that they make good HP for a NA engine.

Anyway, come over and see us guys on clubgp.com We're not all bad if you get to know us. Just don't come over and be a troll. I'm being on my best behaviour over here.

Later
Old 10-05-2001, 07:36 PM
Slee_Stack

$.02 from another GTP owner >><br><br>
Apples to apples is important to remember. For apples to peaches, however, I'm sure an SC Max will stomp a GTP. I have no problem with that...Maximas are nice cars and I considered one.<br>
To be honest, there's not a hell of alot in this class that's comparable. GTP vs Max and what else? Guess you could throw an Acura in there but you'd be jumping price range.<br>
One thing that's nicer about the GTP right about now however is driving around in an AMERICAN car.<br>
Also, not sure who is getting all those high 14's time w/ modded GTPs. Here's a timeslip where I raced another GTP. Mine is the SLOWER time at 14.45. It was about 75-80F out. I have only a 3.4 pulley and cone. I'll blame losing on my 17" rims, stereo stuff in the trunk and crappy reaction time!<br>

Old 10-05-2001, 08:53 PM

I'll contribute as well. A few weeks ago, some local Coloradan Max owners (like pawn) came to a mod day where there were three GTPs - mine and a friend of mine's being the most modded. They were impressed with the mods that we had - and never once tried to claim their cars were better. Which is good; we weren't bragging, neither were they. Makes the conversation much more equitable that way.

At any rate, you cannot assume when you race one that you'll beat them all. This goes without sayign for any type of car. No brainer.

So I'll leave the bench racing to those who are better at than I am, and just end with this note. Anyone in the Colorado area who thinks they have the cajones to run a "lightly modded" GTP...

Bring it.
Old 10-05-2001, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by YDRSBTR
I'll contribute as well. A few weeks ago, some local Coloradan Max owners (like pawn) came to a mod day where there were three GTPs - mine and a friend of mine's being the most modded. They were impressed with the mods that we had - and never once tried to claim their cars were better. Which is good; we weren't bragging, neither were they. Makes the conversation much more equitable that way.

At any rate, you cannot assume when you race one that you'll beat them all. This goes without sayign for any type of car. No brainer.

So I'll leave the bench racing to those who are better at than I am, and just end with this note. Anyone in the Colorado area who thinks they have the cajones to run a "lightly modded" GTP...

Bring it.
I know you're not going to make me drive all the way to colorado just to lay it down for ya. Did you even read my last post? I guess your SC died in the middle of the pull huh...oh well, funny how that tq curve works. I didn't say I could beat ALL the GTPs in the world, I beat one in one run. I'm just saying, how can people with GTPs claim that their car is God's gift to the automotive world and not kick the **** out of an NA stock max? If you really want to compare apples to apples I'll put a blower on my chicks 2k auto for the weekend with the same amount of boost you're running and we'll hit the track and video tape the *** kicking one of us would receive so that everyone will know. Damn that's a long ways away. This is not a flame, this thread has run out of gas along time ago. I'm also tired
Old 10-05-2001, 09:30 PM

I think the best way to compare apples to apples is wait for the 02 with 255 bhp to come out and cross our fingers heh

I have a question for the GTP guys, do you guys get into "conflict" with 300M owners too? I'd think they'd sorta be in the same class as the Max and GTP..but no one really talks about them. You guys get respect from me though, my Dad was gonna buy one (or a 300M/3.2 TL) but just got disappointed by the interior.
Old 10-05-2001, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by Ludacris
I think the best way to compare apples to apples is wait for the 02 with 255 bhp to come out and cross our fingers heh

I have a question for the GTP guys, do you guys get into "conflict" with 300M owners too? I'd think they'd sorta be in the same class as the Max and GTP..but no one really talks about them.
I don't think that the GTP will be a prob for the '02 6spd. Actually I was wondering about the 300m also but I think that engine is toned for lux instead of running like the GTP and GTX. I think my main problem with the GTP is my phobia of American cars. The only cars I have ever owned are Japanese and have never had to do anything to them other than normal maintenance. I always hear horror stories of the shotty quality of domestics so I find it difficult to look at the GTP as a car I would buy mainly because adding an SC adds more stress to the already "lesser quality engine" not to mention the tranny that is at it's maximum. However I wish to add in my defense of all flames I have gained an incredible amount of respect for the GTP and X and will definately look into it before purchasing my next car even though I've had a 3rd, 4th, and 5th gen max. Though they do say....once a max driver, always a max driver. I'd hate to leave the "family".
Old 10-05-2001, 09:55 PM
Zooomer

As far as someone seeing the 'slow' GTP's in KS this year you must not have seen me cause I ran a 12.84.
Personally I think the Maxima is a higher quality car than the GTP and better engineered. Styling wise I choose the GTP but that's just a personal pref. When we talk about speed it's debatable when your talking stock to stock. The general concensus seems to be the GTP's have a small advantage down low and the Maxima's have the advantage top end.
This brings me to the next subject. Speaking purely in terms of mods and going fast the Maxima isn't even in the same league as the GTP. My leased GTP ran 12.94 last Fri and that's without any internal engine mods. With a GTP and like $500 you are running 13's. For not a whole lot more you are low 13's.

Old 10-05-2001, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by Zooomer
As far as someone seeing the 'slow' GTP's in KS this year you must not have seen me cause I ran a 12.84.
Personally I think the Maxima is a higher quality car than the GTP and better engineered. Styling wise I choose the GTP but that's just a personal pref. When we talk about speed it's debatable when your talking stock to stock. The general concensus seems to be the GTP's have a small advantage down low and the Maxima's have the advantage top end.
This brings me to the next subject. Speaking purely in terms of mods and going fast the Maxima isn't even in the same league as the GTP. My leased GTP ran 12.94 last Fri and that's without any internal engine mods. With a GTP and like $500 you are running 13's. For not a whole lot more you are low 13's.
The difference is the max will last to 200k miles
Old 10-05-2001, 10:21 PM

While I have been reading what everyone here has posted, I must admit I wanted to jump right in and pull out the flamethrower. I too am a 2001 GTP owner, and I also work at a Nissan dealership. I could buy any Nissan I want for a little over invoice, but I chose the GTP for it's HUD, it's lower price, and it's ability to be easily modified.

For those that don't know ( "Haven't raced a GTP yet (NA or boosted)"), the GTP has the supercharged 3.8L with 240HP/280TQ and automatic 4-speed transmission plagued with problems. Instead of flaming, however, I think that I will just say a few things.

Running two cars on the street is not true racing. Racing involves timeslips and I see that NONE of you have any times in your signatures.

I have never seen any Maxima beat any GTP at the track.

http://doghouse.dhs.org/gtp/aug10-2001/MVC-230F.JPG This one speaks for itself. It is not even at half track, the Maxima is an unmodified 5 speed 2000, and the GP is a 99 or 98 with only a $40 3.4" (compared to 3.8" stock) pulley.

The supercharged engine in a GP suffers in hot weather, while in cold weather, the car will be much faster (where most GP owners most likely purchased their FWD cars because of snow, like I did).

If you want to compare the cars, you should also see that the Maxima is more expensive, and if a GTP owner were to spend the difference between the two cars on mods, the GTP would just be faster yet.

The Maximas and Altimas have unparalleled build qaulity and hold their value better than most cars.

The only major forced induction modification I have ever seen on a Maxima was a turbo or twin turbo in Motortrend Magazine, and I believe it only ran mid 13s.

A member of my area ClubGP has run a 13.55, and almost always runs under 14 seconds in the quarter with only $100 worth of mods, on an otherwise stock trim car too (street tires, exhaust, all belts, spare tire, no headlight though, etc....). Here he is showing a Mustang Cobra how it's done: http://doghouse.dhs.org/gtp/aug10-2001/MVC-232F.JPG .

Now take all this for what it's worth, but I highly suggest that you go to http://www.clubgp.com before you start saying negative things about Grand Prixs.
Old 10-05-2001, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by Zooomer
Well that seems to be the trade off. There are tons of domestics that'll kick most import cars a$$e$. Camaro, Mustang, Firebird, etc. etc. But the trade off is in build quality/refinement/reliablity(arguable tho, I have friends with Grand Ams, Grand Cherokees and Silverados that have had no problems).
Old 10-05-2001, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by SOLOBLAZER
While I have been reading what everyone here has posted, I must admit I wanted to jump right in and pull out the flamethrower. I too am a 2001 GTP owner, and I also work at a Nissan dealership. I could buy any Nissan I want for a little over invoice, but I chose the GTP for it's HUD, it's lower price, and it's ability to be easily modified.

For those that don't know ( "Haven't raced a GTP yet (NA or boosted)"), the GTP has the supercharged 3.8L with 240HP/280TQ and automatic 4-speed transmission plagued with problems. Instead of flaming, however, I think that I will just say a few things.

Running two cars on the street is not true racing. Racing involves timeslips and I see that NONE of you have any times in your signatures.

http://doghouse.dhs.org/gtp/aug10-2001/MVC-230F.JPG This one speaks for itself. It is not even at half track, the Maxima is an unmodified 5 speed 2000, and the GP is a 99 or 98 with only a $40 3.4" (compared to 3.8" stock) pulley.

The supercharged engine in a GP suffers in hot weather, while in cold weather, the car will be much faster (where most GP owners most likely purchased their FWD cars because of snow, like I did).

If you want to compare the cars, you should also see that the Maxima is more expensive, and if a GTP owner were to spend the difference between the two cars on mods, the GTP would just be faster yet.

The Maximas and Altimas have unparalleled build qaulity and hold their value better than most cars.

The only major forced induction modification I have ever seen on a Maxima was a turbo or twin turbo in Motortrend Magazine, and I believe it only ran mid 13s.

A member of my area ClubGP has run a 13.55, and almost always runs under 14 seconds in the quarter with only $100 worth of mods, on an otherwise stock trim car too (street tires, exhaust, all belts, spare tire, no headlight though, etc....). Here he is showing a Mustang Cobra how it's done: http://doghouse.dhs.org/gtp/aug10-2001/MVC-232F.JPG .

Now take all this for what it's worth, but I highly suggest that you go to http://www.clubgp.com before you start saying negative things about Grand Prixs.
Ok,

Tell me this then you GTP peoples. I have about 5k miles on my loaded 01 max se. Since I work for a certain company here in kansas I get the GM supplier discount. Does the GTP come in 4-door? And what does a fully loaded GTP cost sticker? Since I've only had this max about 5 weeks now, I'm not fully situated in it.....still miss my 4th gen

Should I trade? I'm always worried about the life of the car but I never keep my cars longer than 2 years anyway...i figure what the hell, why not. I was going to test drive one today but never got around to it.
Old 10-05-2001, 10:43 PM

Well that seems to be the trade off. There are tons of domestics that'll kick most import cars a$$e$. Camaro, Mustang, Firebird, etc. etc. But the trade off is in build quality/refinement/reliablity(arguable tho, I have friends with Grand Ams, Grand Cherokees and Silverados that have had no problems).
I have seen Maximas come in on trade with 100,000 miles + with hardly a squeak or rattle. They are very well built and hold up extremely well. Then I see the Maxima's that were abused, barely running, burning oil, tranny slipping, etc. I guess they are either really good or really bad.

I also have never seen a new Nissan come in with ANY defects other than the one's that may occur in shipping, which is a rareity indeed. As well, the Nissan truckdrivers that take the cars off of the trucks wear surgical gloves to keep the cars pristine. Now that's what I call high class.

And to the guy that posted the stupid comment about the 3.8 being in all of GM's cars or whatever:

I guess you don't know that the '02 Pathfinders, Altimas, and Maximas share slight variations of the 3.5, huh? I also am guessing that you have never heard of Infinity?
Old 10-05-2001, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by BlackSE

Ok,

Tell me this then you GTP peoples. I have about 5k miles on my loaded 01 max se. Since I work for a certain company here in kansas I get the GM supplier discount. Does the GTP come in 4-door? And what does a fully loaded GTP cost sticker? Since I've only had this max about 5 weeks now, I'm not fully situated in it.....still miss my 4th gen

Should I trade? I'm always worried about the life of the car but I never keep my cars longer than 2 years anyway...i figure what the hell, why not. I was going to test drive one today but never got around to it.
They are killing off the 2 door GTP sometime soon, but the 4 door will live on. If you only keep your cars for 2 years, you shouldn't have anything to worry about unless you are like the guys getting 400+ HP out of their engines. Take one for a test drive. One drive with the HUD, and you will never drive the same way again.

For pricing, try here for starters: http://www.pontiac.com/grandprix/pricing.html

Somewhere on Pontiac's site there was a link to allow you to custom build and price the cars. To top it all off, the 0% financing is hard to turn down too, although I heard that Nissan just started offering something similar today. I wish I had more info on that though. Good luck. It doesn't hurt to try one.

Also, although I ended up with a GTP, the Maxima (which was Nissan's only peformance offering at the time) was the only other FWD car I even considered. You guys really do have great cars.

One more thing. Somebody said something about the Maxima being a Japanese car. While that is true by design, the plant in Smyrna, Tennesee is hardly Japanese.
Old 10-05-2001, 11:02 PM

They are killing off the 2 door GTP sometime soon, but the 4 door will live on. If you only keep your cars for 2 years, you shouldn't have anything to worry about unless you are like the guys getting 400+ HP out of their engines. Take one for a test drive. One drive with the HUD, and you will never drive the same way again.

For pricing, try here for starters: http://www.pontiac.com/grandprix/pricing.html

Somewhere on Pontiac's site there was a link to allow you to custom build and price the cars. To top it all off, the 0% financing is hard to turn down too, although I heard that Nissan just started offering something similar today. I wish I had more info on that though. Good luck. It doesn't hurt to try one.

Also, although I ended up with a GTP, the Maxima (which was Nissan's only peformance offering at the time) was the only other FWD car I even considered. You guys really do have great cars.

One more thing. Somebody said something about the Maxima being a Japanese car. While that is true by design, the plant in Smyrna, Tennesee is hardly Japanese.
Yeah that was me....but it technically hasn't been built there yet, they just broke ground. But speaking of being built, I was just on the pontiac site and found out the the GTP is built right here in KC! imagine that $hit. I'll see if I can run by a dealer tomorrow and see what my GMS discount is on one and I'll post back what I find out. Going to bed now. Later.
Old 10-05-2001, 11:05 PM

Maximas are made in Japan...I think the Altima is built here. But stupid Nissan is bringing their Maxima production here in '03. I just hope they don't screw up build quality..
Old 10-05-2001, 11:14 PM

Maximas are made in Japan...I think the Altima is built here. But stupid Nissan is bringing their Maxima production here in '03. I just hope they don't screw up build quality..
Huh, that's interesting because all of the window stickers that I have seen say SMYRNA, as I believe that they do for all Nissans now that I think about it. I wonder why Nissan would do that.
Old 10-05-2001, 11:25 PM

Huh, that's interesting because all of the window stickers that I have seen say SMYRNA, as I believe that they do for all Nissans now that I think about it. I wonder why Nissan would do that.
What model year...I thought they didn't start till 03. Our 2000 is from Japan though.
Old 10-05-2001, 11:28 PM
Slee_Stack

Something to note (if you care about buying Jap/Foreign vs American). Whether a car is built here or overseas, the PROFIT that car makes goes to the appropriate company. So even if you buy a Max made in the states, the cash goes to Nissan...Japan.
I dont think I've ever kept a car past 100K miles, so long term finish doesn't mean too much to me. Trade in value doesnt mean alot to me either since a car is one of the worst investments anyone can make, (you'll lose money on it no matter what). I feel pretty safe getting 5 years worth of driving (75-80K) out of the GP. Course I don't beat on it and only track it occasionally.
BTW, is it a lincoln or caddy sport sedan that's rumored to have 300hp in 2004?

Old 10-05-2001, 11:35 PM

OK, all at once.

Window stickers were from '01 and '02 Nissans, but moreso '02s.

Lincoln: expect Lincoln to change in a MAJOR way. Right now there are like 4 Lincoln models and 5 Mercury models, and withing 3 years there might be 10 Lincoln models and 3 Mercury models. BTW: cougar and continental are soon to be dead, and maybe mountaineer too. Lincoln is also working on a 2 door sport coupe (as is Cadillac), as well as some other exciting thing, or at least that's what our regional Linc/Merc rep tells me.

And as far as where the money goes when buying an "import" built in the US, don't foprget about all of the American workers who have jobs and all of the small towns and whatnot that it supports, as well as the American economy when those workers spend their money.
Old 10-05-2001, 11:37 PM
QUANSUNG

from my expirience and mag times a gtp gets walked on hard when a 5speed maxima hits 3rd gear.i almost bought a white gtp but lack quality, top end performance and mt made me look elsewhere.yeah almost any factory boosted car is relatively cheap to make faster but here's my take: lets say a 2k 290 hp max vs 2k 340hp gtp, the max will out perform the gtp, why because #1the max is lighter #2 has a better top end and #3 better engine and trany.the extra money we have to spend on our mods is for not having to worry about something blowing up from running an extra 80hp i've yet to see a gtp beat a tt supra to 150mph

Old 10-05-2001, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by QUANSUNG
from my expirience and mag times a gtp gets walked on hard when a 5speed maxima hits 3rd gear.i almost bought a white gtp but lack quality, top end performance and mt made me look elsewhere.yeah almost any factory boosted car is relatively cheap to make faster but here's my take: lets say a 2k 290 hp max vs 2k 340hp gtp, the max will out perform the gtp, why because #1the max is lighter #2 has a better top end and #3 better engine and trany.the extra money we have to spend on our mods is for not having to worry about something blowing up from running an extra 80hp i've yet to see a gtp beat a tt supra to 150mph
290 and 340 bhp? Max has 222 bhp for 2000, around 340 with S/C. 240 bhp in S/C GTP...
Old 10-05-2001, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by QUANSUNG
"from my expirience and mag times a gtp gets walked on hard when a 5speed maxima hits 3rd gear."

Magazine times can not be used to honestly judge the performance of a car. It is usually a car that the manufacturer gave them to test, so forget you ever read that. Come to ClubGP and we'll play "I'll show you my timeslips if you show me yours".

"i almost bought a white gtp but lack quality, top end performance and mt made me look elsewhere.yeah almost any factory boosted car is relatively cheap to make faster but here's my take: lets say a 2k 290 hp max vs 2k 340hp gtp, the max will out perform the gtp,"

Where are you getting these #'s? Why not a 400+HP Grand Prix? Why not auto vs. auto? Can you talk on your cell phone, call Onstar, and drink a pepsi while racing down the quarter with your stick? Didn't think so.

" why because #1the max is lighter #2 has a better top end and #3 better engine and trany."

True, the tranny is problematic, but if you race strictly from 90MPH on up, then the Max has the upper hand. I guess since you do this enough, you should know that. Good luck getting up there in the quarter though.

"the extra money we have to spend on our mods is for not having to worry about something blowing up from running an extra 80hp i've yet to see a gtp beat a tt supra to 150mph"

First of all, how is a SupraTT (which costs major $$) related to a Maxima at all? And secondly, GTP's are factory limited to 126MPH. So there is your answer.
Old 10-06-2001, 01:30 AM

As a GTP owner I feel the need to reply to this interesting and amusing thread. I'll start off by saying Maxima's are nice cars and I've got nothing against them. That being said lets get down to it.

However I do find it amusing that some of you talk abut a supercharged Maxima vs a stock GTP. Umm hello? I don't down that a car with a NA 255hp V6 (for the 2002) with a supercharger slapped on would beat a car that stock has 240hp. You're comparing apples to oranges. How 'bout apples to apples? A modded Maxima vs a modded GTP.

I've spent less than $200 on performance mods on my GTP and have run multiple 13.5's with just a custom CAI, 3.4" SC pulley and a 180* tstat and thats all. Yes, the 13.5's were on a cold night; not to mention I had nearly half a tank of gas at the time, but I can still run high 13's on a ~75F night no problem. Not bad for less than $200 and you're talking about spending how much for the supercharger kit for your car?

And I don't hate to break it to those of you who like to slam automatic transmissions; sure they may not be as fun to drive, but they make drag racing a hell of a lot easier. My RT's are better than they would be with a stick; my short times are better than they would be with a stick. Just like with a stick you hafta know what you're doing. It's not just sit at the line and slam on the gas. Anyways. Good luck with your cars guys and gals and I hope to see you at the track ;)

-Pat
Old 10-06-2001, 01:56 AM

Paul, btw that Maxima in the first pic racing against Mark in the white GTP is *NOT* stock. I've seen that Maxima run 14.5-14.6 if I recall correctly.

Hey I forgot about that pic of me against the Mustang! That was a fun night. I only beat him by 1 tenth tho. I ran a 14.0 he ran a 14.1. I've got the timeslip around here somewhere. It's fun when you go somewhere and someone else is already bragging about your car ;P And it's $200 in mods Paul ;)

I posted it in a previous reply, but if anyone doesn't believe that I ran a 13.5 heres the timeslip http://www.greystar.org/Car/timeslip1.jpg . I'll gladly post more of them for any nay-sayers and I'll go snap pics of my engine compartment.

Here's the finish of the Maxima vs White GTP race:
http://doghouse.dhs.org/gtp/aug10-2001/MVC-231F.JPG

Here's the finish of my GTP vs the SVT Mustang:
http://doghouse.dhs.org/gtp/aug10-2001/MVC-233F.JPG

-Pat

EDIT: Was mistaken Mark's GTP did have a 3.4" SC pulley and was not stock at that point.
Old 10-06-2001, 02:40 AM
johndeerrm

I find it difficult to look at the GTP as a car I would buy mainly because adding an SC adds more stress to the already "lesser quality engine"
does your V6 have cross bolted mains? The L67 is a very solid platform for high HP, ever hear of a buick GN?

yes the 3.8L may make only 240hp with a SC but we also have a much lower compression ratio 8.5:1 so adding a SC to your cars with already high compression (9.x:1? or higher) will make more HP with the same boost but you will have to run a Intercooler or H2O injection. as for the new maxima and the 300M they may make more HP but they make less low end TQ and low end TQ is what wins off the line races.

And the comment you made about the 200K miles... the 3800 series has been around for a while and they are very reliable.

Old 10-06-2001, 07:59 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: What????

Originally posted by raynist
"The heavier the car, the more it will feel like its hauling *** with more TQ. When it really isn't."

No offense, but that is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard!
No offense but its true. We had a bonneville SSE a while back, not supercharged just 200 hp, and something TQ. But it felt like it hauled *** compared to my Maxima, but it was slower.

Old 10-06-2001, 08:01 AM
RussMaxManiac

You were right first. The Grandprix does have 200hp, not 225...specs here:

2002 Grand Prix GT

Performance Data
Acceleration (0-60 mph): NA
Braking Distance (60-0 mph): NA
Roadholding Index: NA
Base Number of Cylinders: 6
Base Engine Size: 3.8 liters
Base Engine Type: V6
Horsepower: 200 hp @ 5200 rpm
Torque: 225 ft-lbs. @ 3600 rpm
Turning Circle: NA
Drive Type: FWD

And here is the 2002 Firebird...

Performance Data
Acceleration (0-60 mph): NA
Braking Distance (60-0 mph): NA
Roadholding Index: NA
Base Number of Cylinders: 6
Base Engine Size: 3.8 liters
Base Engine Type: V6
Horsepower: 200 hp @ 5200 rpm
Torque: 225 ft-lbs. @ 4000 rpm
Turning Circle: NA
Drive Type: RWD
Originally posted by PrinzII

I stand corrected. The Camaro/Firebird have 225 (Same V6). Goes to show you that GM uses the same motor for so many cars.

Old 10-06-2001, 08:25 AM

Re: Re: What????

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

No offense but its true. We had a bonneville SSE a while back, not supercharged just 200 hp, and something TQ. But it felt like it hauled *** compared to my Maxima, but it was slower.
I'm not offended, but the "a$$ dyno" is a very unreliable means of determining how fast a car is.
Old 10-06-2001, 09:01 AM

I'll meet you halfway if you'd like...

I know you're not going to make me drive all the way to colorado just to lay it down for ya. Did you even read my last post? I guess your SC died in the middle of the pull huh...oh well, funny how that tq curve works. I didn't say I could beat ALL the GTPs in the world, I beat one in one run. I'm just saying, how can people with GTPs claim that their car is God's gift to the automotive world and not kick the **** out of an NA stock max? If you really want to compare apples to apples I'll put a blower on my chicks 2k auto for the weekend with the same amount of boost you're running and we'll hit the track and video tape the *** kicking one of us would receive so that everyone will know. Damn that's a long ways away. This is not a flame, this thread has run out of gas along time ago. I'm also tired
Yes, I read your post. No, I was not singling you out. No, I was not flaming you or any other Max owner with the possible exception of the unnecessarily cocky ones who think their clear turn signals are gonna win them a race against a supercharged Grand Prix.

Here's the deal though, Bub. You have no idea at this point what I've done to my Grand Prix, nor what times I've run. Yet you think you can "lay it down for me". Can you? Are you absolutely sure? Would you put money on it? Care to make a wager RIGHT NOW, or would you prefer to know what you're up against? Do you actually want to know about a modified GTP, or are you content to continue to toss thinly veiled threats of domination? We can make this civil. I have no problems learning about other cars, and educating others about mine. We generally have a good time about it. For some reason, Maxima owners are by far the least equitable in this area. 3G Eclipses, RSX owners, LS1 guys, LT1 guys, German makes... They all know me, accept me, and take the time to learn about other makes and models. Max owners? Most just wanna live in "Max's are divine and domestics only last 30K miles" World. Don't work that way, Bub. I've got 80K miles now on my '98, 12psi daily at a mile high. Not a THING has broken yet. Not one. And I'm not nursing the car. I romp on 'er every chance I get.

Maxes are great cars. You won't catch me denying that. But respect is a two way street. You give it, you get it. If you want to base respect solely on acceleration, well - get ready. You'll owe me a lot of respect.
Old 10-06-2001, 10:08 AM
QUANSUNG

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ludacris

290 and 340 bhp? Max has 222 bhp for 2000, around 340 with S/C. 240 bhp in S/C GTP...
[/QUOTE thats if both cars are modified,i know the stock #'s thanks

Old 10-06-2001, 10:17 AM

Re: Re: What????

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

Actually, I feel its the opposite. My car before this was an AWD DSM - turbo, boost controller, etc. The whole nine yards.

But it was also an automatic with a serious compression problem. Probably would have run at best a mid to high 17 second quarter up here where I am. But feel fast? Holy sh|t did it feel fast.

My GTP is just now starting to feel fast, and I guarantee it's 3, maybe 3-1/2 seconds faster in the quarter than my Talon ever was. The weight, suspension, and mass of the car tend to make it seem much more linear. Doesn't feel fast at all. In fact, cruising at about 80, in top gear, at about 1900 RPMs feels like 40. Maybe it's my mods, maybe its just that everyone's experiences are different, but to me, a larger, heavier vehicle tends to feel slower, when it may or may not actually be.
Old 10-06-2001, 10:29 AM

Here is how it works, from a Physics standpoint. If you were to look at a graph of the velocity vs. time of a car, the areas of high acceleration, which is rapid change in velocity with respect to time, is the area where car "feels" faster than others. What your body is measuring is force, which is merely mass times acceleration, and since the mass of the you and the car isn't changing, the acceleration is the only variable. So, car's with a steadily increasing velocity plot, not having areas of acceleration, will "feel" slower than cars whose plots have areas of acceleration.
Old 10-06-2001, 10:31 AM

Ok, I called my local dealerships an found that the GTP would cost me $25,963.58 loaded with every option. However since it would be a 2k2 cause everybody is out of the 01 I'd get the same 2.9 that I got with Nissan. I could do this and lose money or get an SC for the max. Probably just going to do that. I still find it amazing that the GTP can only produce 260 with an SC, and yet did somebody say that it can beat an SC max? Can this be true? Can somebody tell me the fastest quarter for a completely moded max so that I know what to do here please. This is killing me!
Old 10-06-2001, 10:42 AM

Ok, I called my local dealerships an found that the GTP would cost me $25,963.58 loaded with every option. However since it would be a 2k2 cause everybody is out of the 01 I'd get the same 2.9 that I got with Nissan. I could do this and lose money or get an SC for the max. Probably just going to do that. I still find it amazing that the GTP can only produce 260 with an SC, and yet did somebody say that it can beat an SC max? Can this be true? Can somebody tell me the fastest quarter for a completely moded max so that I know what to do here please. This is killing me!
Stock GTPs make 240HP/280TQ at the engine. A GTX, which has a ram air hood and CAI and possibly 3.5" pulley, does make slightly more power than a stock GTP. It also costs a lot more money. In this whole thread I haven't seen anyone post any real numbers about what a supercharged Maxima runs in the quarter or how much the supercharger kit costs. Also, depending on your abilities, you might have to have the supercharger installed for you, and I'm pretty sure that independent of who installed it, you would void any warranty you might be counting on. Good luck.

BTW, it is pretty hard for technicians to spot a smaller pulley on a GTP, and I havn't heard of many if any warranty denials because of it.
Old 10-06-2001, 10:51 AM

Re: I'll meet you halfway if you'd like...

Originally posted by YDRSBTR

Yes, I read your post. No, I was not singling you out. No, I was not flaming you or any other Max owner with the possible exception of the unnecessarily cocky ones who think their clear turn signals are gonna win them a race against a supercharged Grand Prix.

Here's the deal though, Bub. You have no idea at this point what I've done to my Grand Prix, nor what times I've run. Yet you think you can "lay it down for me". Can you? Are you absolutely sure? Would you put money on it? Care to make a wager RIGHT NOW, or would you prefer to know what you're up against? Do you actually want to know about a modified GTP, or are you content to continue to toss thinly veiled threats of domination? We can make this civil. I have no problems learning about other cars, and educating others about mine. We generally have a good time about it. For some reason, Maxima owners are by far the least equitable in this area. 3G Eclipses, RSX owners, LS1 guys, LT1 guys, German makes... They all know me, accept me, and take the time to learn about other makes and models. Max owners? Most just wanna live in "Max's are divine and domestics only last 30K miles" World. Don't work that way, Bub. I've got 80K miles now on my '98, 12psi daily at a mile high. Not a THING has broken yet. Not one. And I'm not nursing the car. I romp on 'er every chance I get.

Maxes are great cars. You won't catch me denying that. But respect is a two way street. You give it, you get it. If you want to base respect solely on acceleration, well - get ready. You'll owe me a lot of respect.

i completely agree...c'mon guys, we are turning into the cl-s and tl-s people here...remember what we always tell them when we argue with them? "we are all in this boat together...why can't we respect each others cars"

since i'm in college without my car for now i haven't had much time on these boards so i just now saw this topic...this is somewhat rediculous...

here are facts

a car with a stock s/c can have $25 spent on a new pulley and gain a second in the 1/4...a stock 5spd max and a gtp are fairly even in the 1/4 but if you race for longer than a 1/4 mile the max should beat the gtp (gtp has very strong low end and will kill a max on the low end because of the torque but the 1/4 mile times are equal roughly because the max catches up like mad in the top end

i don't doubt that max owners have beat gtp's and i don't doubt that gtp owners have beat max's...an auto max will lose to a gtp stock for stock...i don't see what the argument is...i'm not a domestic guy but i can respect them (unless i see a mustang with altezzas (YOU KNOW, *EURO* LIGHTS)...domestics aren't for me but i know they are for some people

the one thing i personally don't like about gm cars is that the interiors look generally the same in all of them (even in vette z06's the dash looks the same as in a grand am)

this argument is stupid...we are turning into cl-s and tl-s guys...the gtp guys here seem to be completely reasonable and willing to show respect to us so why can't we do the same to them?

Quick Reply: Grand Prix GTP vs. 2000 Maxima Supercharged