5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

GXE A/C Vent. . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 03:57 PM

GXE A/C Vent. . .

Hey guys, I was wondering who has the best deal on the GXE A/C Vent so I can install an aftermarket radio. . .LMK
Old 10-03-2001, 04:56 PM

Re: GXE A/C Vent. . .

Originally posted by myktek
Hey guys, I was wondering who has the best deal on the GXE A/C Vent so I can install an aftermarket radio. . .LMK
Do not waste your money on the vents from Nissan. Are you getting a single din head unit or double din?

If it is a single din, just go to any stereo store in your area and ask for the kit, it is made by Metra. EVERYONE has um.

If you are putting a double din in, go to Scosche.com

They are the only ones that make the double din kit, it is $20 shipped compared to $100 for the GXE vents.
Old 10-03-2001, 05:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What is this GXE AC VENT you are all talking about? Why does the vent have to be changed?

Im lost on this one
Old 10-03-2001, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
What is this GXE AC VERT you are all talking about? Why does the vent have to be changed?

Im lost on this one
The SEs, GLEs and some of the GXEs come stock with a Double-Din radio. But those who are changing out the stock radio to an aftermarket Single-Din one needs to fill the gap left by the stock radio. Thus, the need for the housing that fills up the space. And the GXE housing that they are talking about includes the A/C vents in the one piece. Whereas the A/C vents on the Double-din cars are its own entity.
Old 10-03-2001, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by Maximum Velocity

The SEs, GLEs and some of the GXEs come stock with a Double-Din radio. But those who are changing out the stock radio to an aftermarket Single-Din one needs to fill the gap left by the stock radio. Thus, the need for the housing that fills up the space. And the GXE housing that they are talking about includes the A/C vents in the one piece. Whereas the A/C vents on the Double-din cars are its own entity.
Yeah but would this not be solved by getting a Headunit kit? Like one that autotoys.com sells? It allows you to install a SingleDIN and leaves a pocket underneath.
Old 10-03-2001, 09:33 PM

yeah u can do that, but the GXE matches that little section on top of the ac controls. . .so it looks stock. . .and not aftermarket.
Old 10-03-2001, 10:34 PM

yeah u can do that, but the GXE matches that little section on top of the ac controls. . .so it looks stock. . .and not aftermarket.
Exactly what I was trying to say but left out.
Old 10-04-2001, 06:30 AM

Big Dog...Here are some pics for you to better esplain...

Here is the GXE dash kit, you can see that the factory gray line from the heater controls flows into the kit

Here is the aftermarket kit from Metra, notice the line does not flow, but stops

And that's the bottom line, because Dusty Roads said so!!
Old 10-04-2001, 06:31 AM

Just to let you know the top pic is from ispeed, wanted to give him props for the pic. The bottom pic is from me!!
Old 10-04-2001, 12:18 PM

Is that top kit the one with the complete line going through possible to make it double din?

Looks like if you remove the pocket it seems it might work. I am need of a double din, two separate dins, I know scorsch makes one now.
Old 10-04-2001, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Is that top kit the one with the complete line going through possible to make it double din?

Looks like if you remove the pocket it seems it might work. I am need of a double din, two separate dins, I know scorsch makes one now.
I was thinking the same thing. I was going to put two single-dins in the current radio location. I don't know if the mounting bracket has a place for another Din (as far as screwing the radio to the current counting bracket), but I'm sure you could make a way for it to fit. Also, you probably could just remove the pocket to accomodate the second din.
Old 10-05-2001, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by Dustyroads
Big Dog...Here are some pics for you to better esplain...

Here is the GXE dash kit, you can see that the factory gray line from the heater controls flows into the kit

And that's the bottom line, because Dusty Roads said so!!

Hey, I have seen that pic before .... just can't remember where

The pic has the molded dash kit so the lines are kinda blurred anyway. I like the look of the GXE vents better myself, but for some reason I like spending money and helping the economy!
Old 10-05-2001, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by Maximum Velocity

I was thinking the same thing. I was going to put two single-dins in the current radio location. I don't know if the mounting bracket has a place for another Din (as far as screwing the radio to the current counting bracket), but I'm sure you could make a way for it to fit. Also, you probably could just remove the pocket to accomodate the second din.

Actually you could put a single din unit (times 2) or a double din unit into either type of kit. The GXE vents would allow the double din units or 2 single din units. The aftermarket kits might have be modified but it is possible to put that type of setup in your dash.

If I remember correctly xtantmaxima modified an aftermarket kit to accomodate an alpine cva-1005 and the dvd indash player.
Old 10-05-2001, 03:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: GXE A/C Vent. . .

yup...most stereo shops carry them...if not, they'll order one for you.