5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What percentage of 2K's with 5 speed ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2000, 01:09 PM
SeanTheBear

In 1993 I bought a '92 SE loaded w/auto with 12,000 miles
on it. That car now has 165,000 miles on it and has been worry free (except for those damn window regulators).
The old Max still runs strong but is looking long in the tooth and I think I want to do it again: pick-up a 2000 around x-mass time when the sellers are lonely and open to a great deal.
But I think I want a 5 speed this time but not many are turning up in the on-line classifieds.
Do any of you intelligent folks know what percent of the 2000 Maxima run were built with 5 -speeds? SE's ?
If some went as low as 5% (1 out of 20) I wouldn't disagree from what I've observed.
THANKS

Old 10-31-2000, 01:11 PM
My 4DSC

Interested...wonder how we can find out...

i bet the # is very low...
i wouldnt be surprised if 5-10% was realistic.

Old 10-31-2000, 01:37 PM

I know I got one of em. Also, I wanted the Bose with cloth seats and the dealer could only find two like that in the whole NE. Apparently, Most of the boses came with the leather.
Old 10-31-2000, 01:41 PM

Yeah 5 speed here...The dealer I bought mine from had about 100 Maxima's...only 2 were 5 speeds. Both were loaded with every option, except the heated seats which we dont get in FLA. I guess the typical Maxima owner wants an auto. Thats fine with me......Ill take a 5 speed every time. Too big of a difference in performance for my liking.
Old 10-31-2000, 01:50 PM

I had heard it was 15% of Max's that were 5 spds, but that just seems hard to believe. Every time I'm at the dealer they don't have ANY! And when I look through the classifieds there's maybe one or two.
Old 10-31-2000, 01:56 PM

I will sell you mine.

2000 SE loaded 5-speed. I even got the Stillen RSB on there too.
Old 10-31-2000, 02:05 PM

GXE with 5sp

I got a GXE with 5sp.... I could have ordered the SE, but for over $2,000 more than the GXE, I could not think of one thing that I wanted in the SE that I would not change..(except for the silver guages)...I saved my money and got a stillen sway bar, 18" rims.. custom leather..with drivers RECARO seat. Body Kit.. and too many upgrades to list... I don't really dig the spoiler enough to pay for it. I'll wait to see if wings west comes up with one.

anyways... one of the two reasons I bought the max... V6 and 5sp..... would not have it anyother way... If I wanted to pay around 30K for a ride with and Automatic tranny... I would buy the Acura CL Type-S with 260 HP

Old 10-31-2000, 06:20 PM

a first for me

my new Maxima is my first set of wheels that I have ever owned with an Automatic. I dont mind it at all. It's a nice change from shifting, especially in stop and go rush hour traffic when i head in to Toronto the odd time. The manual becomes a real pain then. Even for my every day highway commute, i really dont need to do any shifting once I'm up to speed...so why bother shifting at all. The engine has plenty of grunt for me. I'm not out to impress anyone with 0 to 60 starts, (but am not criticizing those who get their kicks that way.) I get my thrills from ripping by left lane bandits on the highway...and the Max with an auto is fine for that particular event!
Old 10-31-2000, 08:00 PM

1 in 30

Is what the dealership told me the ratio was in Western Canada last June. Too bad...I drove both at the lot and they are like two different cars.
Old 10-31-2000, 08:24 PM

Albertan...

is that good or bad? I'm itching to test drive a manual Max although all these issues that are flying over at Edmunds forum has me a little gunshy...guess I'll have to drive one myself to be sure....

Would I be a total fool if I trade in my auto for a 5spd?

maybe just a poorer one lol
Old 11-01-2000, 08:07 AM

Well I don't experience any problem that

people are talking about with 5-speed.
I like it a lot. Actually, engine and 5-speed is the only thing I like about my 2000 SE. heh

Yeah I agree Auto and 5-speed are two different cars.
You get so much more control with 5-speed.

Old 11-01-2000, 10:57 AM

Out of all the Maximas 39% would be SE and out of those 15% were 5spds.. I read that long time ago in Motor Trend. This was last year before I got my car.
Old 11-01-2000, 12:28 PM

Re: Well I don't experience any problem that

Originally posted by Dany
I like it a lot. Actually, engine and 5-speed is the only thing I like about my 2000 SE. heh

I love when *%$#ing people say poop like that! Dany...you are a punk! Lets see....you probably liked the rims...stereo....seats....dash...cockpit...it's aggressive styling...auto thermo...nice controls...Should I go on! If you don't like the car....give it up! There are wya too many punks on here that are ****! Ohh....it has rattles...(probably because the person tore apart the car for a mod....or have stiff springs...or 40 series tires....or drive it like they stole it!) I have my fair share of complaints....but to say the only thing on the car I like is the engine and the 5 speed is ridiculous!

Every car has its problems...first year cars probably have more. I love my car though...and feel that it will give me many years of exciting driving. If you are interested in getting the five speed....drive it for more thatn 20 miles.....go in town and see what it feels like in stop and go traffic...and ask yourself if you can handle the responsivness of the throttle. Most of the driving I do is on rural roads and the highway....and I love the way the car pulls with the 5 speed. I also feel like I have more control with a manual.

P.S. Dany....this is not a flame....but I hate it when people like yourself say comments like that without backing it up with a resonable explaination of why you hate the car.
Old 11-02-2000, 08:49 AM

Well, first of all I am not a punk, second....

I bought this car because I had the 95 5-speed and I loved it.
Buying this car I was expecting a much better build car. I bought a loaded 2000 SE 5-speed. My car has been in the service multiple times now. And I am not the only one on this board who is having problems with 2000 Maxima. My freaking strut mount was being fixed, 3 MONTHS. Finally was fixed recently. Rattles are everywhere. And no I don't have any mods. Paint already chipped on my front hood.

I like the engine and the 5-speed. I even like the way the car looks, but the build quality sucks. Inside and out it just not the quality that people expect when they get a 29K stickered car.

Have a nice day. And Enjoy your Ride. Hope nothing goes wrong with your car on you.

Originally posted by MOBOY

I love when *%$#ing people say poop like that! Dany...you are a punk! Lets see....you probably liked the rims...stereo....seats....dash...cockpit...it's aggressive styling...auto thermo...nice controls...Should I go on! If you don't like the car....give it up! There are wya too many punks on here that are ****! Ohh....it has rattles...(probably because the person tore apart the car for a mod....or have stiff springs...or 40 series tires....or drive it like they stole it!) I have my fair share of complaints....but to say the only thing on the car I like is the engine and the 5 speed is ridiculous!

Every car has its problems...first year cars probably have more. I love my car though...and feel that it will give me many years of exciting driving. If you are interested in getting the five speed....drive it for more thatn 20 miles.....go in town and see what it feels like in stop and go traffic...and ask yourself if you can handle the responsivness of the throttle. Most of the driving I do is on rural roads and the highway....and I love the way the car pulls with the 5 speed. I also feel like I have more control with a manual.

P.S. Dany....this is not a flame....but I hate it when people like yourself say comments like that without backing it up with a resonable explaination of why you hate the car.
Old 11-02-2000, 09:11 AM

Re: Well, first of all I am not a punk, second....

I bought this car because I had the 95 5-speed and I loved it.
Buying this car I was expecting a much better build car. I bought a loaded 2000 SE 5-speed. My car has been in the service multiple times now. And I am not the only one on this board who is having problems with 2000 Maxima. My freaking strut mount was being fixed, 3 MONTHS. Finally was fixed recently. Rattles are everywhere. And no I don't have any mods. Paint already chipped on my front hood.

I like the engine and the 5-speed. I even like the way the car looks, but the build quality sucks. Inside and out it just not the quality that people expect when they get a 29K stickered car.

Have a nice day. And Enjoy your Ride. Hope nothing goes wrong with your car on you.

Originally posted by MOBOY

I think that most of the problems that people ar having with their maximas could easily be fixed if you threaten the service department. It is a good this I do not have a problem on my car becuase I would follow the service manager home and make sure he saw my point of view. If that didn't work I would get some white shoe polish and write on my car everywhere (Dealer's Name sucks!) And park their every saturday and camp in the lot and tell everyone that drives up the horable experiences you have had there! You have to hit em where it hurts! I laugh when I hear Dany and Jim sit here and complain! I would have their asses if my car was not being serviced correctly! Never let a dealer mess with you.....you have sooooo much more power than you give yourself credit for!! USE IT OR SHUT UP! DO YOU NEED ME TO COME THERE AND SHOW YOU HOW TO GET RESULTS!!!!! TRUST ME THE WRITING ON THE CAR AND TELLING ALL OF THE PEOPLE THAT DRIVE UP TO THE DEALER THAT THE PLACE SUCKS WILL CHANGE THEIR MINDS IN A HURRY!

Old 11-02-2000, 09:21 AM

Yeah it might be true, but I didn't buy this car

to go around and say that the dealer sucks.
And no you don't have any power against the dealer.
Dealer (ESPECIALLY NISSAN) doesn't care about you, buttom line. There are a tons of people running in the dealership to buy Maxima. So one person will not change their minds.

When I got this 2000 Maxima delivered, the dealer did some work on it because it was damaged from the delivery. I noticed that the paint was oversparied somewhere and I told them I don't want this car. Well, they said it was to late. I was like what??

And to really protest it I will need to file for Lemon Law.

I didn't buy the car to spend my time in the freaking dealer ship or fighting with the Service managers.

Maybe you did.

Old 11-02-2000, 09:39 AM

Re: Yeah it might be true, but I didn't buy this car

to go around and say that the dealer sucks.
And no you don't have any power against the dealer.
Dealer (ESPECIALLY NISSAN) doesn't care about you, buttom line. There are a tons of people running in the dealership to buy Maxima. So one person will not change their minds.

When I got this 2000 Maxima delivered, the dealer did some work on it because it was damaged from the delivery. I noticed that the paint was oversparied somewhere and I told them I don't want this car. Well, they said it was to late. I was like what??

And to really protest it I will need to file for Lemon Law.

I didn't buy the car to spend my time in the freaking dealer ship or fighting with the Service managers.

Maybe you did.

Example: I bought a 95 Honda civic.....signed all of the papers drove it for a week and had one problem ..... the service department would not remove my radio. I did not want the radio and was not going to pay for the POS. Well I went to the dealer with my friend...dropped the keys on the desk of the sales manager...and told him thanks....but I do not want your car anymore!

YOU DO HAVE A LOT OF POWER WITH THE DEALERSHIP!!!!! The dealership is like a regional rep. for Nissan. If you are having a problem they are supposed to fix it (As long as you have a warranty) Trust me...you will not have to camp out in the dealership long before they get your point...and it will do you a lot more good than sitting at your computer typing about what a POS car you have! Use that energy towards something that will work! Your car is NOT a POS....your dealer is treating you like a POS. If you are not getting the results that you are looking for at that dealer....go to another dealer. Me personally....I would go to the dealer I bought the car at. If you think that people will just dismiss your claim at the dealer....YOU ARE NUTS!!!! I know if I went to a dealer and saw someone...or heard someone telling me about how that dealer sucks......I would be out of there!!!! But maybe Dany.....you would probably just go ahead and buy from them anyways!

Old 11-02-2000, 03:18 PM
SeanTheBear

Thanks for your opinion

Boy, you guys tend to get off the subject on this board.
Nothing wrong with a little honest give-and-take.

Thanks to those that offered their opinion.

To the gentleman that offered 35% SE's, of that 15%
5 spd's, makes around 5% of the total run SE's w/ 5 spd.

That sounds legit, but I'm not seeing them for resale.

Maybe the enthusiasts got the 5 speeds and they are not
ready to part with them yet.

Thanks again.

Old 11-02-2000, 03:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i have a 5spd

When I bought my 2k Maxima about 4 months ago, it took them a few days to locate it. I live in CT and they had to go to New Jersey to find one that had the 5 spd as well as the other options. But they did say that 5 speeds are hard to come buy.
Old 11-06-2000, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by SeanTheBear
In 1993 I bought a '92 SE loaded w/auto with 12,000 miles
on it. That car now has 165,000 miles on it and has been worry free (except for those damn window regulators).
The old Max still runs strong but is looking long in the tooth and I think I want to do it again: pick-up a 2000 around x-mass time when the sellers are lonely and open to a great deal.
But I think I want a 5 speed this time but not many are turning up in the on-line classifieds.
Do any of you intelligent folks know what percent of the 2000 Maxima run were built with 5 -speeds? SE's ?
If some went as low as 5% (1 out of 20) I wouldn't disagree from what I've observed.
THANKS
I believe it is a very low percentage. I had to order my car earlier this year. I knew exactly what i wanted. Sterling mist, 5 spd, SE with every option. The dealer told, after he did his research, that there were only 6 of these exact Maximas in the entire stae of California. I was lucky, the dealer found my car at another dealership about 15 miles away.