5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just got my car back from the dealer....

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2000, 03:08 PM

and golly gee whiz...guess what my engine mounts not only chirp, they chirp louder I am totally bummed out...very down on this whole flipping thing.

2 reps from Nissan were present...I talked to both of them and they just looked at me and explained that the noise is normal, it is the electronic mounts moving. To prove their point, they had a 2001 SE next to my car. It exhibted the same noise that mine does although slightly less noisy. What could I say? "ummm..yeah that car is messed up also" Don't think I could win that one....

I'm spent...I've lost too much sleep and normal living over this thing. I guess my only action is to bite the bullet and deal with it...however whether my dealer likes it or not, I'm going to tell him that I can now hear the chirps when I'm inside the car which was never the case before. I have to bring it back for the bumper clips that Nissan screwed up in their TSB.

I'm probably writing this thread with too much emotion but I'm pretty pissed and bummed that I'm even having to deal with this. I'm also pissed that I didn't take a more aggressive stance to the 2 Nissan guys....we were in a semi noisy enviorment so the chirps sound the same to me...on the way home I was a little shocked hearing the chirp inside of the car.

I know woe is me....flame on.

On the good side they did balance my tires and do an oil change for free...solved my wheel vibe problem.

Rattle are still there...screw em...test drove a 5spd SE today that rattled like a mother also.....

ack....ignore me I guess I'm not thinking rationally.....
Old 11-01-2000, 04:04 PM

My turn

It is 6:00 pm central time here and my car will be ready at 7:00. I will pick it up where they will have reattached my bumper, but will not have fixed the scratching problems as they also screwed up the clip ordering from the TSB. We'll see if they did further damage as they said that I shouldn't 'worry' about any additional scratches I see as they will take care of it when the real clips come in. That means they screwed up my bumper.

I better not hear any chirping!!!

Old 11-01-2000, 07:21 PM

Actually

I don't think it is the dealer that screwed up your clips...they probably ordered them off the part # of the TSB, the same way that my dealer did. Sounds like Nissan dropped the ball on this one by including the old clip # so all you dealer got from them is a new set of the current clip you have already.

I wouldnt worry about the chirping...I think that they scoured the lot to find one that did it. I'm also amazed at what a ***** I am for just agreeing with these 2 guys from Nissan..."Uh huh..gee really...wow...I guess you are right" I don't know if I was intimidated or what but I feel like kicking my own ***!!!

I guess it all seemed so surreal(sp?)....what blew my mind was him (Mike Weatherly, I guess he is the Master Field Tech for the East Coast or something like that)saying that all Maximas make that noise due to the electric motor mounts moving...whn I explained that a coworkers did not screech like mine he said that HE(coworker) should be concerned as it sounds like his mounts are not working(chirping) correctly...wtf????? Man I feel stunned...you know that feeling when your girlfriend tells you out of the blue "I don't think this is going to work" Well for some reason thats my gut feeling right now...

AM I NUTS??? I heard another Max make the noise my car makes but I've yet to find one person on this board or any other one that hears these little chirps when they rev their engine a bit???? At first it was an annoyance but now that they say its supposed to do that I'm stuck with the noisest mounts of the 3 replaced!!! Ack! I'm gonna call in the morning and ask the SM to put my old less chirpy mounts back in...he is gonna freak...I mean freak.....My question is if this is normal, why did Nissan tell the dealer to replace the engine mounts and ECM 3 times?? Think they knew it was normal then? why the F**k am I thinking of this now instead of when those 2 guys were there? Ack again...

Rattles never got fixed...the a-pillar stopped making racket...I think it is only becaue the guy took it off and put it back on...

As I side note...I know people hate whiners...guilty as charged.... I apologize if any gets ticked off but sorry....I really need to vent and some of you guys seem like close friends if only thru a keyboard

Oh and my cat just walked up and puked a big hairball up....I'm not sh!tting ya.... Damn, I better stay in bed tomorrow...

ok..I'm done...sorry for the rant
Old 11-01-2000, 08:35 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

two wrongs dont make a right...

You know, the body style is still very popular. When I had my problems with starting, horrible mpg, loaping idle and freaked out paint, I went over and told the used car salespeople that there were some things I didnt like about the car. I told them to call the service dept., they concurred that I was just a freak and the car was fine. For this one time I said "yeah, ok.. its all in my head or I'm too picky." they offered to take it back with 6000 miles for $2000 less than I paid. Now I'm kinda kicking myself for not taking the offer. But the bottom line is the resale is higher than its ever going to be on the 5th gen maxima. If you want to bail, now is the time to do it. I suspect that in 6-10 months, the resale will start to sink like the 4th gens did. Especially if they come out with a smoothed out body style (one more broadly accepted) and a monster motor.

Just what would it take to bail?

Personally, I am going to take my next car for a full day test drive. they offer that to 'puppy dog' the car, so I always decline, but in this case (and yours) it would save alot of stress later.
Old 11-01-2000, 08:36 PM

Got it back

I'm sure you're right about Nissan dropping the ball, but it got me a free oil change out of the deal so if they want to take the blame, that's fine.

I finally got my car back. A few extra scratches on the back bumper as expected and no time frame for when the 'right' clips might come in. But, the thing that pisses me off is that they drove my car! Call me, paranoid, but everytime I take my car into the dealer, I set the B trip meter to 0 and then flip it back so the A trip meter is displayed with the normal mileage. When I got it back, I forgot about it except all my mirrors (side view (which are auto) and rear view were all out of whack. I checked my trip meter, 58.9 miles!!! WTF. The gas tank was around where I left it (about half) which means they put more in to compensate. Why would they need to drive my car? There was nothing to test drive - they just changed my oil, took off and reattached my bumper. I went back in and tried to tell the service advisor, and he basically told me that I was paranoid and I probably didn't reset it to 0 like I thought. AAARRRRGGGH.

No chirps, thank goodness, but just waiting for my clips.

That's the end of my story. Sorry so long.
Old 11-01-2000, 08:42 PM

Oh, no way!!!

I know, you have to pick your fights carefully with the dealer.. but 60 extra miles on the car would not be something I would let go. Reminds me of Farris Buellers day off. I would totally raise hell. Thats totally uncalled for.
Old 11-01-2000, 08:48 PM

Re: Oh, no way!!!

Originally posted by TimW
I know, you have to pick your fights carefully with the dealer.. but 60 extra miles on the car would not be something I would let go. Reminds me of Farris Buellers day off. I would totally raise hell. Thats totally uncalled for.
Ha ha - it does remind me of Ferris Bueller's day off. I don't know what else to do. I might call Nissan Consumer Affairs tomorrow, but I can't prove to them that I reset it 0 before I gave it to them. I'm SOL I'm afraid. The weird thing about it is that when I got it home and parked it in the garage, the odomoter flipped as I was pulling it in to exactly 10,000 miles. Weird. I'm still pissed, though. 1-800-Nissan1 here I come.
Old 11-01-2000, 09:05 PM

heh...

I noticed that my car had 42 miles on it....how much test driving for rattles did they need to do? Nothing for nothing but thats a trip to Portsmouth NH from here

They put a new ECU in so it reset everything....

I hear ya Tim...its just having the guts to pull the trigger....I really like the car but I think its cursed

Right now in its "chirpy" condition, it would defintily pose a prob if I tried to sell it on my own...I know the prospective buyer would go wtf was that?

of course the 2 nissan guys went "I dont hear anything" and the SM had to point it out to them...umm hmmm...damn..this is a love hate relationship..I want a Max but just not mine
Old 11-01-2000, 09:48 PM

I dont know if my car doesnt have any of these problems or I just dont pay enough attention. But either way i am happy
Old 11-02-2000, 12:47 AM

hahaha the dealer always resets my A and B but then they dont' know about the odo i have on my GPS muhahaha. and i take the remote away so they won't be able to reset it. not even if they disconnect the battery.. i dont' mind if they take my car out for a spin tho.. they've treated me real well. but i guess i'de be a lil testy if they mobbed my ride for 50miles..
Old 11-02-2000, 04:34 AM

00 Black Max

Believe me man...you would know if you had the mount noise...I guess every car makes the noise...just some that are way more audible than others....my car sounded like accordion last night in some stop and go traffic.....felt like getting out and doing a polka

Just called the SM this morning...explained that I'd like to have the old mounts put back in due to the loudness of the new ones....silence......"What? Sorry man, I aint making this up" lol...he said he needs a few hours to see if he can do it as the old mounts were earmarked for CA Nissan engineering...

heh...as the Nissan wheels turn
Old 11-02-2000, 05:55 AM

2 sets of clips for the trunk?

Is there 2 different clips for the bumper to fix the scratches? That explains whil the clips they put in only pulled my bumper down instead of in towards the body. The top of my bumper still hits the trunk...Can anyone please give me the correct part number of the "new" clips or the TSB with the new part number?
Old 11-02-2000, 07:17 AM

if theres nothing wrong with them...

the why would engineering want them? they can take the mounts off the new SE that does it too. Sorry, they dont fly people in for nothing. They may not know how to fix it, but they dont fly Nissan people down for problems they dont believe exist. You know... now that you mention it.. It doesnt feel like my mounts work. that was even mentioned as a possible reason for my rough idle (the vibration in the car). Well, they are very quiet at least
Old 11-02-2000, 07:33 AM

heh...I know what you mean

seems to me that they are covering up a prob they know exists in some cars but they don't know how to fix it...they were sort of joking around like "what will they think of next? Electronic mounts? Ha ha"

So according to Nissan if your motor mounts don't chrip or make a noise when they move, YOU have got a problem with them. Got my hipwaders on for that one...

Mabfnar- I think a correction was issued to the TSB to reflect the new clips....my dealer knew right away that he had the wrong ones as I guess the new ones are a different size..your dealer should be able to tell you the part# for the right ones although I guess they are all on b/o right now.
Old 11-02-2000, 07:45 AM

Part #?

can anyone who had it done please let me know what the part number is...I feel more comfortable knowing exactly what my dealer is doing...obviously if he ordered the wrong clips and I brought the TSB to his attention(i.e. i am the first guy to bring in the trunk problem), knowing the part number would help me feel like I can "confirm" what he is doing. NO I DON'T HAVE MUCH FAITH IN THEM. Plus anyway...I like to find out things before he does...