5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2K2 Headlight lenses

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2001, 08:35 PM

2K2 Headlight lenses

What's up guys? I just spent 2 days detailing my new 2K2 SE; I look at the headlights at night and they're dirty as hell! The inside of the lenses are dirty. I know some of you guys own earlier 5th Gens and have replaced the headlight assembly with the 2K2 version. I haven't bothered to check, but can you disassemble the headlight assembly in order to clean the inside of the lenses?

TIA,
Kerr
Old 10-18-2001, 08:44 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

well...

they have 'tabs' that look like the lens is removable, but there is an adhesive putty all around the lens. I dont think you could pull the assembly apart easily. looks like the dealer needs to replace yours. it would be easy to miss a spot sealing them thus letting in moisture like you speak of... I can also tell you that the moisture will eventually kill your HID burners (with corrosion), get them into the dealer for replacement.
Old 10-18-2001, 08:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

when my HIDs are on, it looks like there is moisture in there
Old 10-18-2001, 09:07 PM

I will *FREAK OUT*

if I find moisture in there... I will have to be physically restrained..
Old 10-18-2001, 09:31 PM

Re: well...

Originally posted by TimW
they have 'tabs' ...
Hey, thanks for the advice. I'm going to get it in there asap since winter is coming.
Old 10-18-2001, 09:50 PM

Re: I will *FREAK OUT*

if I find moisture in there... I will have to be physically restrained..
Timmy, please dont open that seal, it will never be resealed correctly and I dont think it is recommeded.
Old 10-18-2001, 09:59 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Who wants to clear the amber piece?
Old 10-18-2001, 10:04 PM

you misread my post...

I basically said the same thing... it looks like you could disassemble, but I wouldnt... besides, its a NEW car, why on earth would he want to take apart a $600+ light and void the warranty.

Oh AND only my grandmother calls me Timmy. I will, however, accept Timmeh!
Old 10-18-2001, 10:07 PM

oh...

and THAT IS THE WEAKEST DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHT.... EVER!!! I keep thinking the right side isnt working because it wont even reflect light back on the car infront of me at a stop light. I swear, I've seen more powerful lights on a Christmas tree..
Old 10-18-2001, 10:21 PM

Re: oh...

and THAT IS THE WEAKEST DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHT.... EVER!!! I keep thinking the right side isnt working because it wont even reflect light back on the car infront of me at a stop light. I swear, I've seen more powerful lights on a Christmas tree..
Damn i did not know that you had daytime running lights? I'm sort of glad I dont, cause I hate them. And I believe the way it works is that it runs at half the power of full high beams.

Dixit
Old 10-18-2001, 10:33 PM

heh...

well, I meant that weak clear running light. I dont have the daytime module installed.... they are just useless...

btw, you said +12v was intermittant on Theft System Trigger right?
Old 10-18-2001, 10:37 PM

Re: heh...

well, I meant that weak clear running light. I dont have the daytime module installed.... they are just useless...

btw, you said +12v was intermittant on Theft System Trigger right?
Man I dont remember anything about the Theft System Trigger. I actually dont understand the question, but let me try to answer it.

It triggers this pink wire on each headlamp relay, which is also the same wire for the headlight to be turned on with.

Just look in my sig and go to the alarm fix writeup.

Dixit
Old 10-18-2001, 10:52 PM

sorry....

I see... I figured it out, just needed to stare alittle longer at it. well, you see... I'm trying to figure it all out before doing it. Not that i dont trust you, but if I screw something up, I'd only have me to blame, not you... plus, I wired mine little differently.

What I really really want is to put a relay that is normally closed on the ground of the HID and OPEN the relay on Alarm trigger. I guess my point is, that I know relays arent perfect and I dont want the relay failing (or connectors coming loose) while driving and opening the headlamp circuit.
Old 10-18-2001, 11:01 PM

Re: sorry....

I see... I figured it out, just needed to stare alittle longer at it. well, you see... I'm trying to figure it all out before doing it. Not that i dont trust you, but if I screw something up, I'd only have me to blame, not you... plus, I wired mine little differently.

What I really really want is to put a relay that is normally closed on the ground of the HID and OPEN the relay on Alarm trigger. I guess my point is, that I know relays arent perfect and I dont want the relay failing (or connectors coming loose) while driving and opening the headlamp circuit.
I understand, well, I have only one more thing to fix and I will be 100% satisfied. I just noticed and realized with the grounding of the xenon's to the body, that fixed the high beam problem, EXCEPT, that in the day time, when I feel like FLASHING someone to get them to move out my lane, BOTH THE HIGHS AND THE XENONS will flash.

This is not a HUGE problem for me, since I dont flash people at all, just honk the crap out of them, but I would still like to figure out how I am going to do this fix. Definetely going to need another relay.

Dixit
Old 10-18-2001, 11:19 PM

hmmmm.

I didnt notice that, but you are certainly correct... bummer... I too will be back under the hood..
Old 10-19-2001, 07:48 AM

Too bad my right headlight assembly has a slight amount of moisture in it. And no I didn't open up the assembly at all. What the heck can I do? I'm going to the dealership today for a regular 22500 mile checkup. I'm guessing I can't get it replaced under warrenty? This is dissapointing, but I only saw it once which was last night. But it was very cold out.
Old 10-19-2001, 09:01 AM

not good...

not good at all...
Old 10-19-2001, 09:12 AM

Re: not good...

not good at all...
The hell with that........ I am gonna take my car to the dealer and I am just dying to see what they say........

Me: Well, I seem to have alot of moisture in my headlight assemblies.
Nissan: Let me take a look...
Me: Okay, here are the keys, I will be back in 5hrs.
Nissan: Sir, we found out the problem, This headlights are not the ones that came from the original car. So we orded a new set and will be installing them ASAP.
Me: Okay, where is my car?
Nissan: Here is it, just got finished
Me: Let me take a look, Son of a......... what the @$@# happened to my 2K2 headlight assembly?
Nissan: Well like we told you, you had the wrong assembly and we put the CORRECT ones back in, see, no more moisture or dirty lenses.
Me: Where the @#$# are my 2K2 HIDs?
Nissan: Excuse me sir?
Me: Where the @#$# are my 2K2 HIDs?

The conversation could go like that, or maybe the opposite and the moron orders me a NEW 2K2 assembly and has them put in with no clue in the world that this car did not originally come with it.

Dixit
Old 10-19-2001, 09:41 AM

Re: Re: not good...

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

The conversation could go like that, or maybe the opposite and the moron orders me a NEW 2K2 assembly and has them put in with no clue in the world that this car did not originally come with it.

Dixit
HA that better not happen... There's no way I'd leave my car at the dealership alone. This dealership is much better than the one near my house at home. Is there a way I could fix it myself if they won't do anything?
Old 10-19-2001, 09:56 AM

ok... thinking back...

I remember the one of the tabs on the bottom of the light didnt look really snuggly snapped. I just figured it was ok because all the sealer goop would fill any open areas. guess not. since I planned on getting back in there, I guess I'll be RTV-ing (or equivalent) the bottom of the assembly. grrrrrrr....
Old 10-19-2001, 03:58 PM

Re: 2K2 Headlight lenses

Originally posted by haylo75
What's up guys? I just spent 2 days detailing my new 2K2 SE; I look at the headlights at night and they're dirty as hell! The inside of the lenses are dirty. I know some of you guys own earlier 5th Gens and have replaced the headlight assembly with the 2K2 version. I haven't bothered to check, but can you disassemble the headlight assembly in order to clean the inside of the lenses?

TIA,
Kerr
talking bout 2k2 HIDS, anyone find lens covers or is there a Film you can put on them?
Mingo you find anything?
Roger