5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

TCS and LSD

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 05:26 PM

TCS and LSD

Is it possible to put TCS and LSD in my GLE? I really need that in the snow.
Because of the open diff, every time I try to put my foot down...wheel spins, and seem like only one wheel spins.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:41 PM

you can put an LSD in anything, is it worth it? LSD's are expensive and take bit of time and money to install. you should have TCS already. I would start with this fix...dont put your foot down so hard. or get better tires.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Matt_01SE_20th
you can put an LSD in anything, is it worth it? LSD's are expensive and take bit of time and money to install. you should have TCS already. I would start with this fix...dont put your foot down so hard. or get better tires.
lol. thx a lot bro.
this morning, I was trying to race a Grand Am, when I put my foot down (half), touque steering happened with wheel spin. But the FF Grand Am with less power is faster b/c he got grip.

Last edited by jasonmax; 10-15-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

TCS is useless. So is the VLSD that came on the AE. Do as Matt suggests and get snow tires or ease up on the gas peddle.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by jkayca
TCS is useless.

BS, it's plenty useful in the snow especially on the highway.

From a racing standpoint, it's useless, but from a passenger four door sedan that people use as DD's and many of them drive in the snow... It's very useful
Old 10-16-2007, 07:05 AM
dot dot dot ...

Anyone ever fitted an LSD in an A33B 4AT?
Old 10-16-2007, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Anyone ever fitted an LSD in an A33B 4AT?
Not that I know of...

Everyone I can think of that wanted to was stick... And most of them were prob talk.

Once 99% of them find out what it cost, they seem to be hard to find.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:14 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by upstatemax
Not that I know of...

Everyone I can think of that wanted to was stick... And most of them were prob talk.

Once 99% of them find out what it cost, they seem to be hard to find.
The reason I bring it up is because I don't think 85% of the people posting in here realize he has an A33B4AT. .

I do fine w/o TSC/LSD/ABS in the winter with decent tires and careful driving habits in the snow.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:22 AM

I do fine w/o TSC/LSD/ABS in the winter with decent tires and careful driving habits in the snow.
Sure you can do fine w/o it, I did for years with my 92' Grand Am ( ) But it's really nice to have, especially in the NE.

What is the snow fall like in NM?
Old 10-16-2007, 07:26 AM
dot dot dot ...

Not bad everywhere else but the mountains are a different world. If you're in the mountains, then well, we can get hit pretty hard and pretty fast. I work in the mountains and live in the valley, so my work commute merits some decent snow storms.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:29 AM

Not bad everywhere else but the mountains are a different world. If you're in the mountains, then well, we can get hit pretty hard and pretty fast. I work in the mountains and live in the valley, so my work commute merits some decent snow storms.

What you need to do before this seasons snow:

#1- Go buy a 92 GA (it's gotta be less than $1k)
#2- throw crappy tires on it
#3- Plow it into anything that gets into your way, including 10' tall walls of snow. ()
#4- ???
#5- Profit.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:54 AM

BS, it's plenty useful in the snow especially on the highway.

From a racing standpoint, it's useless, but from a passenger four door sedan that people use as DD's and many of them drive in the snow... It's very useful
BS to you too! As far as I'm concerned TCS is just one more thing to go wrong. Frankly you would be better off spending the money on a set of snows instead.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:57 AM
dot dot dot ...

True if your car didn't come with it. But if it did come with it, it's not useless and I wouldn't toss the ABS fuse just to get rid of it of course.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:01 AM

BS to you too! As far as I'm concerned TCS is just one more thing to go wrong. Frankly you would be better off spending the money on a set of snows instead.
Never in the nearly 8 years of owning my Max have I ever had a problem with the TCS... Honestly, there is not much to wrong.

Plus, I have dedicated snows to go with my TCS.

You have no real argument for why the TCS is bad, so you throw generic BS into the conversation.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:17 AM

i wish had tcs when i bad tires that needed to be changed.. but still had some thread to it...and it was raining.

this was a corolla... and the car is so light that it almost floats on top of puddles... and causes the wheel to spin..

here is a video of my corolla and almost worn tires... and all i have to do is put the foot down.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bsRBmscGsy0
Old 10-16-2007, 08:34 AM

Sure you can do fine w/o it, I did for years with my 92' Grand Am ( ) But it's really nice to have, especially in the NE.

I'm in NE, and the way to my school has moutain.
I already spin on the mountain when it was raining..sigh.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:26 AM

Never in the nearly 8 years of owning my Max have I ever had a problem with the TCS... Honestly, there is not much to wrong.

Plus, I have dedicated snows to go with my TCS.

You have no real argument for why the TCS is bad, so you throw generic BS into the conversation.
The TCS is, as the S stands for, a system. It relies on a number of components one of which is the wheel speed sensor. If this goes so does your ABS and TCS. Search and you will see a number posts about ABS and SLIP lights on. Your right about the component that cuts the fuel supply. This rarely goes wrong but this is my biggest complaint about the Max's system. It doesn't transfer power to the non-slipping wheel. It just cuts the power.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:42 AM

The TCS is, as the S stands for, a system. It relies on a number of components one of which is the wheel speed sensor. If this goes so does your ABS and TCS. Search and you will see a number posts about ABS and SLIP lights on. Your right about the component that cuts the fuel supply. This rarely goes wrong but this is my biggest complaint about the Max's system. It doesn't transfer power to the non-slipping wheel. It just cuts the power.
ABS and TCS lights come on for many reasons and one in particular has nothing to do with them and that of course is the coil packs going bad.

MOST of the time an ABS sensor needs replacing, it's not the fault of the car. It's usually someone accidentally breaking it, or many times, it's after someone drops (coilovers especially) the car and it rubs on the control arm, cutting the wire.

Besides, the TCS system runs through the ABS system... So, by your logic of broken ABS sensors, the ABS system has the problem, not the TCS. Do you think ABS systems are BS and just another thing to go wrong?

With your logic, power steering, ABS, motorized windows, navigation systems, computerized keys, lock/trunk/window/alarm remotes.... They are all BS because it's just something else to go wrong. It's a luxury item, get over it, just like many other things that people depend on now to drive that years ago people thought were "BS" and something else to go wrong, it will end up being standard equipment on almost every car.

Your complaint of how it works... Who cares if it's not your favorite style of TCS, IT WORKS, and it can save lives and countless $$ in damage and accidents.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:45 AM

yeah. So that is why I talked about LSD..
Old 10-16-2007, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by jasonmax
lol. thx a lot bro.
this morning, I was trying to race a Grand Am, when I put my foot down (half), touque steering happened with wheel spin. But the FF Grand Am with less power is faster b/c he got grip.
Gotta just lightly hit gas till you goin about 10-15-20 ish, then BAM halfway down er so....seems to work well for me.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by cpuguy06
Gotta just lightly hit gas till you goin about 10-15-20 ish, then BAM halfway down er so....seems to work well for me.
Maybe just my problem, I still can't handle that amount of power.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:05 PM

Well I have Neither system in my car, and when it is either snowing or raining i do fine. It just teaches me to be a better driver. Even though those systems save over thousands of people a year from death, i also believe its making us lazy. Besides i like my wheels to spin when i'm driving in the snow it really gives me that sporty feeling. If you know how to brake when to brake and how fast to go you wont have a problem. Then you will be able to drive in any weather condition and not rely on computer systems
Old 10-16-2007, 12:55 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

Originally Posted by jasonmax
Maybe just my problem, I still can't handle that amount of power.
sell your car and buy a civic

/thread
Old 10-21-2007, 02:59 AM

+1 for TCS is useless in snow...
traction control => no traction, no control...

+1 for better snow tire!!!! it is a MUST!!!
that is how i feel after i got stuck in the snow at 1 am in the street and walk almost 2 hr to get home...
Old 09-17-2008, 06:51 PM

according to the plate I have an open transmission but when I jack up the car and put it in gear, I found the 2 wheels compensate eachother's spin, meaning if I slow down one wheel with something and the other wheel spins even faster. Is this how the open transmission is suppose to work? I thought that's how a LSD works???
Old 09-17-2008, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by ypl102
according to the plate I have an open transmission but when I jack up the car and put it in gear, I found the 2 wheels compensate eachother's spin, meaning if I slow down one wheel with something and the other wheel spins even faster. Is this how the open transmission is suppose to work? I thought that's how a LSD works???
open diff sends power to the wheel that has less traction in two.
in your case, you slow down one wheel which is kinda traction to the wheel, so the other wheel would spin faster. if it's LSD, the diff wouldn't send all the power to one wheel, the wheel that has the least traction, so the other wheel which has traction can get the power.

Last edited by jasonmax; 09-17-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by ypl102
LSD essentially tries to send equal power to each wheel in all conditions.

Open diff will send the power to where ever there is the least resistance. which means if you stop one wheel all the power would go to the other wheel.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Feldman
LSD essentially tries to send equal power to each wheel in all conditions.

Open diff will send the power to where ever there is the least resistance. which means if you stop one wheel all the power would go to the other wheel.
yeah, usually in the situation when one wheel has a lot traction like on pavement, the other has no traction like on ice, the open diff just spins the one ice.
with LSD, in the previous situation, the diff would send the preset power to the one that's got traction.